Final

For the Person that You are
Please log in to read the full chapter

Donghyun was never popular to begin with. He is just like any other average boy you see in school with maybe a few negative comments about him here and there.

“What is he even wearing?”

“Did you know that last week, Donghyun…”

It is safe to say that by now, Donghyun has already gotten used to it. It’s just that he doesn’t know exactly what he has done to deserve such hate from his schoolmates. He doesn’t even recall knowing them. He shrugs, after all, people probably ran out of things to say to each other that they had to make him the subject of their conversations. Maybe I should feel honoured, at least I am being remembered, just maybe not in a good way, he thought. Those whispers directed to him suddenly died down and was replaced with screeching loud squeals. Donghyun’s eyes brightened and he followed the crowd, he definitely knew who those squeals were for.

“Youngmin is so hot.”

“Youngmin is illegal, but I’m willing to go to prison if I can just make him mine.”

It is only in these moments that Donghyun had to agree violently with such horrible people. Donghyun has liked the senior for a very long time now and he tries his best to be around Youngmin so that he could watch the senior. He limits his watching to the school though, he doesn’t want to cross the limit and make the senior uncomfortable, and most importantly, he did not want to be labelled as a stalker. Having a few negative comments around is enough, Donghyun doesn’t need a horrible name to follow him too.

 

Weeks passed and Donghyun lived his life as he did ever since he was born. The school bell has rung and school has ended. Donghyun decides to find Sewoon so that he could go home with the older male as he has always done. Sewoon is one of the few friends Donghyun had and he could easily say that Sewoon has stayed with him since their diaper days. The hallway is still crowded and Donghyun tries to find his way through the crowd until someone taps him. The crowd of people stopped moving and watches the situation unfold before them. Feeling suspicious, Donghyun turns around and to say that he is shocked would be an understatement. He was in fact, more than shocked, if it was even possible. Donghyun, you must be seeing things. Why would Youngmin even tap you? Snap out of it, snap out of it!

As if Youngmin could read his thoughts, he decides to let Donghyun know that he was in fact not dreaming. Only then, Donghyun knew that the situation is real. They continued to have a staring battle and feeling intimidated by Youngmin’s poker face, Donghyun breaks the eye contact and asked the senior, “Youngmin sunbae, is there anything I can do to help you?”

“Kim Donghyun, be my boyfriend.” Youngmin stated firmly, as if he has already planned for this to happen. Donghyun thought that he heard wrongly so he lets out a slow “Huh?”.

“I’m not asking if you will be my boyfriend or not. I am telling you that as of today, you are my official boyfriend. Come here and follow me.” Youngmin who seemed perplexed by Donghyun’s lack of response, decided to pull the younger boy by his wrists to whichever empty classroom he could go to.

While Donghyun should feel happy that his crush has the same feelings as him, he could not help but feel a sense of dread. He is definitely not looking forward to a new batch of haters tomorrow.

“What is on your mind?” Youngmin asked. He noticed Donghyun making all sorts of expressions on his fact and wonders if Donghyun knows about how expressive he can be even while he is silent.

Donghyun’s head snapped up at the speed of lightning and he violently shakes his head. “No, no, nothing!” Youngmin was quite shocked at Donghyun’s response and he decides to nod instead.

“So… You are my boyfriend from today onwards. I will be seeing you more often, little guy.” Youngmin coolly says and leaves the room. Donghyun is still stunned and he doesn’t know what to feel. He decides to go back to finding Sewoon and when he does, Sewoon is already at the school gate.

“Ah, you little . I have been waiting here since forever! What did you even have to be this late?” Sewoon looked irritated but Donghyun was not afraid at all. Instead, he stuck his tongue out at Sewoon and hugged his friend. “Don’t be mad, hyung! Donghyun’s hugs will get rid of your anger!” Donghyun punched the air while hugging his friend and this earned a chuckle from Sewoon.

“This must be the reason why I can’t get mad at you, Donghyun ah.” Sewoon pulled away from the hug and ruffled his friend’s hair.

“Hyung, something really weird happened today! Youngmin asked me to be his boyfriend! Isn’t it amazing?!” Donghyun squealed. Sewoon stopped in his tracks and turned to face his friend. “For real?”

“Yeah, it’s weird but it seemed like he thought about it for quite long, considering his firm tone.”

“That’s great. Yah, from tomorrow onwards, you should go out with him after school! You don’t have to go home with me.” Sewoon smiled. Donghyun was a bit crossed and sent Sewoon a questioning look and Sewoon continues, “Don’t worry, I should go home with Jaehwan too. I think I have been neglecting him. He’s whining that I always choose you over him, my boyfriend.” Donghyun nods in understanding and agrees happily. Yay! I have Youngmin now! I wonder what I will do with him…

 

The next day, Donghyun goes to school and while walking to his locker, he hears those murmurs again but this time, they were even more mean and horrible.

“Can someone tell me what Youngmin sees in Donghyun? I think I am a better choice?”

“Yah, it’s not going to last. I’m guessing about a month at most?”

“Ey, that’s too long. About a week?”

“I’m betting three days!”

Donghyun pouted sadly and wonders again about what wrong he has done. Am I not worthy of anyone’s love…? Donghyun has his face down and tears was going to fall if he doesn’t leave. However, he feels his head bump into a hard and broad chest and he looks up. Oh, it’s Youngmin!  Donghyun musters a bright smile and greeted Youngmin happily. A fake smile always takes up a lot of energy and Donghyun is already feeling tired, but he would rather lose his energy than let anyone else know about those mean comments he heard. Youngmin raised his brows and greeted back curtly. Donghyun was confused by Youngmin’s replies but thought that maybe Youngmin wasn’t a morning person. He decides to bow and retreat to his classroom. Classes went by quickly as usual and when he is finally being dismissed, he packs his things quickly and walks out of the classroom. Today was quite different though, the difference being Youngmin waiting for him outside his classroom.

“Let’s go. I’ll take you out today.” Youngmin says. Donghyun’s eyes brightens and he followed the older male happily.

The couple settled at a café and they ordered their drinks.

“A cup of Iced Americano and…” Youngmin sends a questioning look to Donghyun.

“Oh, uhm, a cup of Caramel Macchiato! Thank you!” Donghyun chirps happily. When their drinks came, contrary to the scenarios Donghyun has made in his head, Youngmin was silent. He had his legs crossed and his phone out. He was busy typing on his phone, as if he was preoccupied by anyone else that is not Donghyun. Donghyun waves it off though, maybe Youngmin just had something urgent to do. When their cups are empty, Youngmin stands up and gestures for Donghyun to do so too. Youngmin takes out his wallet to pay and Donghyun’s heart fluttered. No one has ever paid for his things before, well other than his parents, and Donghyun was touched. It was as if silent Youngmin cared for him inwardly. Youngmin walks Donghyun home and waves him off when Donghyun greets him.

Maybe he is just nervous. It’s just the first day after all. Our relationship will get better with time, Donghyun assures himself.

 

Their strings get stretched though. Donghyun was starting to question their relationship. They have been dating for two months now but their dates were always the same. They will spend their weekdays together, leaving their weekends for other things and their dates will consist of either a movie or drinks at the café, and afterwards, Youngmin will just send Donghyun home. Even so, Donghyun doesn’t recall the two of them holding hands or kissing at all. Did they even hug? Donghyun don’t think so. Are we even dating? Donghyun shakes his head and tries to reassure himself again, he has never been in a relationship so maybe Youngmin is trying to be considerate.

Such thoughts were shattered when the mean comments come back to haunt him.

“Those two months… How did they even last? Youngmin looks bored.”

Please log in to read the full chapter