Almost 19

Split Down The Middle

Image result for BTS

 

BTS pictured above (a.k.a Elijah's friends)Image result for pretty girl with blue eyes and dark hair

Quinn pictured above

Location: Seoul 

Busy Shopping District 

"Hey Quinn!" I turned, my ears pricking up at the shout, distantly heard through the busy atmosphere of the square. It took me a moment to sort through the sea of faces moving by, when I finally saw the ones I knew. 

"Hi, Jimin!" I waved to the pretty Korean girl who emerged out of the bustling Korean traffic  

"Hi Quinn. Long time no see!" Called the tall blonde guy behind her. 

"Hey, Adam! How are you guys?" I hugged the two of them. Jimin waved her phone, talking with her hands as usual. 

"I've been meaning to call you, actually. We need to talk about what we're going to do for your nineteenth birthday! Adam and I want to take you out!" She smiled her big excited smile while Adam ran a hand through his hair, smiling as well. I touched the delicate gold chain around my neck, a habit of mine. 

"Oh, guys, you don't have to do anything special for me, it's really no big deal." I tried to talk her down, but it was no use. Once she had an idea, she ran with it and wouldn't stop. 

"Of course it's a big deal! You're becoming a legal adult! Now I can go to bars with both of my best friends, and not just one." She shoved Adam playfully. He gave her a sly smile. Both Jimin and I knew that if he wanted, Adam could pick us up at the same time and carry us as if we were matchsticks. But we also knew he would never actually do it. While Jimin was the social butterfly of the group, Adam was sweet and shy, but deeply caring. All of us would drop everything to help one another.  

"Come on, Quinn! You have to let me plan something." I knew that they just wanted to make my birthday special, one that we would all remember, but I was never the party goer like Jimin was. I smiled. 

"Let's not block the sidewalk, guys." I gestured them to the side. Adam finally spoke up, putting in his thoughts. He put his arms around me and Jimin. 

"Quinn, I agree with Jimin. I want this to be special for you." I had to listen to him. He was always so straightforward, and since he was so shy, when he gave his opinion, it really mattered. I touched my necklace again and tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear. We began to walk, our footsteps clicking on the sidewalk. I looked down, watching our feet step in synchronization. 

"Okay, fine. But you guys, we still have time to plan it, so don't stress out over it." I teased. They looked at each other and smiled. Adam rolled his eyes and smiled, his cheeks dimpling. 

"Q, it's only a month away." 

"Only a month?" I raised my eyebrows, throwing his arm off playfully. Jimin took over. 

"That's not very much time at all! We need to decide if we want to go to a club or rent a space, and if we rent a space, and if we rent then we gotta hire a D.J. Adam, you have a friend who's a D.J., right?" 

"Um, well, he's my cousin's friend-" 

"Great! Okay, but if we go to a club, we gotta think about what to wear, who to invite..." She began listing off all of the factors of a great party, all of which I'd heard before. Soon enough they were talking over my head, arguing and debating about my party. I smiled, shaking my head and pulling out my phone. I saw a text from my brother. 

Big Bro: Hey. Wat do you want from the store? 

Quinn: You spelled what wrong. 😉 

Big Bro: Whatever dork 

Quinn: Get me milk. 2 percent though.  

Big Bro: Why 2 percent? 

Quinn: 2 PERCENT 

Big Bro: Okay damn. 

Big Bro: Is that all? 

Quinn: Yeah I think so. I'll let you know if I think of anything else. 

Big Bro: Okay. I'll be happy to get you anything else. 🙂 

Big Bro: Bye 

Quinn: … 

Quinn: Wait. Why are you being so nice? What did you do this time? 

Big Bro: Oh so I can't be nice to you? 

Quinn: Elijah...what did you do? 

Big Bro: Nothing! 

Quinn: Really? 

Big Bro: ….. 

Big Bro: My friends are coming over tonight. 

Quinn: The loud ones? 

Big Bro: Yep. 

Quinn: Great. -_- 

Quinn: Okay fine. I'll see you at home. 

Big Bro: Later dork 😉 

Rolling my eyes and tutting, I shoved my phone back into my bag. I had broken slightly ahead of the other two. A breeze moved my flowy dark blue cotton dress, I hitched up my leather purse and turned to look, in mock exasperation, at my friends, tapping my black ankle boot in faux annoyance. 

"Hurry up, you two. Let's get lunch. I'm starving." 

"Me too." 

"Me three." We picked up the pace towards a sweet little restaurant on the corner. We often ate here together, but it had been a while since I'd gone in. The atmosphere of the place was cheerful, and it was cozy and bright. We found a table on the sunny little terrace on the back of the building, which overlooked a quiet neighborhood. The only noise to be heard was the grumbling of three stomachs, waiting to be fed. We sat talking until the smiling waitress with rosy cheeks and a cute smile brought us our food. Silence of the most companionable kind settled around us as we began to eat, and lots of time had passed before we began to talk again. It was late in the afternoon when final hugs a goodbyes were given. 

"I'll call you later!' Jimin shouted as she and Adam walked the opposite direction. I just waved and began to walk home, hugging my arms as the wind picked up the slightest bit. 

A few hours Later: 

I turned the shower off, the hot bullets of water ceasing to pelt my skin. Stepping out, I wrapped myself in a fluffy towel and stepped into the hallway. Exiting the steamy bathroom, the colder air of the hall hit me, and I shivered. I heard voices downstairs, Elijah and his friends greeting each other. I hurried to my room, trying to avoid them. Beneath my floor, I could already hear them yelling and laughing. Sighing, I grabbed my hairbrush and sat in front of the full length mirror of my wall. I sank into the soft cream rug, which complimented the soft violet walls. Looking at myself in the mirror, I began to brush out my elbow length black hair. Water dripped from the tips and onto my leg, just below the hem of my shorts. Pausing to flip all of my hair to the side, I looked at my reflection. I took in my face, my blue eyes, my smile. 

"I'm almost nineteen," I told myself. My reflection smiled back at me. I was actually very excited for my birthday, but I didn't want it to be crazy. My kind of party is the kind where a bunch of friends and I go to dinner, or just go shopping. Just hanging out, and then spending the night together. That was the kind of party I'd had my whole life, up until I moved to Korea ten years ago, and met Jimin and Adam. I love having fun, but with Jimin, parties are never just fun. They are wild. And it's amazing while it lasts, but they often just left a mess. I rested my chin on my hand, staring at myself as these thoughts ran through my head. Still, though. I lifted my head up off of my hand and raised a daunting eyebrow at myself. A little fun never hurt anybody. This is a big deal. Go for it. Have Jimin's crazy party. I tossed my hair over my shoulder and looked around for my phone. 

"Damn it, it's downstairs!" I remembered that I had put it on the kitchen counter. Using my bed to pull myself up, I went out onto the landing to get it. I could still hear the sounds of my brother and his friends in the living room, and didn't stop to look inside as I passed. Trying to ignore them, I went to the kitchen and grabbed my phone. Delaying for a moment to check for messages, I slowly turned to walk back, still looking down at the screen. I Walked around the corner and back into the hall, and in doing so, I smashed into somebody 

"Ow!" I said, out of reflex. My phone clattered to the ground. I picked it up and looked at the person who I had run into. He had very wide brown eyes and his hair, held up by a bandana, fell slightly past his eyebrows. He was quite a bit taller than me, and hadn't bounced back like I had from the collision. When I looked at him, he stepped back a bit and bowed his head very respectfully. 

"Ahh...I'm sorry. I didn't see you." He looked back at me, and I could tell he was sorry. 

"That's okay. You're one of Elijah's friends, aren't you?" 

"How did you know?" 

"Well, if you weren't, then you could only be a burglar in a ski mask and black turtleneck. In which case I would call the police now." He smiled at the ground. 

"Yeah, okay. That was a stupid question on my part. I'm Taehyung." He gave me a square-like smile. I nodded and gave him a smile. 

"I'm Quinn." I nodded and returned the grin, and was just about to excuse myself and go back to my room when another figure popped their head out of the living room. 

"Taehyung, what's all the-" He saw me and stopped. I stood there, clutching my phone, while he stared at me for a good ten seconds. I looked at the boy named Taehyung and was about to ask if his friend was okay, when a shout startled me, and I dropped my phone again. 

From the point of view of Taehyung: 

I got up from in between Jungkook and Namjoon, struggling to pull myself out of the sanwhich that the couch had become. Jungkook swatted at me as I passed, since Ihad blocked him momentarily from the video game he and Elijah were engaged in. Leaving the yells and cheers behind, I went to find the kitchen and get water. I walked out the door and ran into a girl just outside in the hallway. 

"Ow!" She yelped as her phone fell to the floor. She grabbed it quickly and checked for cracks, her face hidden by her long black hair. When she looked up at me, I was surprised by her stunning blue eyes, just like Elijah's. They were more striking on her sweet face, with her long hair, darker than his by a few shades. I figured this must be his sister. Realizing that I was staring at her, I bowed my head, searching for an apology. 

"Ahh...I'm sorry. I didn't see you." I looked at her again, feeling bad for running her over. 

"That's okay, you're one of Elijah's friends, aren't you?" She asked. I nodded, but then proceeded to put my foot in my mouth. 

"How did you know?" The sentence tumbled out of my mouth. She smiled a bit, her eyes sparkled. 

"Well, if you weren't, then you could only be a burglar in a ski mask and black turtleneck. In which case I would call the police now." She was funny, and made the joke light-hearted, so I couldn't help but laugh. But still, I blushed at the subtle dig she got in on me and my fumbling for words. I looked at the ground so she wouldn't see it. 

"Yeah, okay. That was a stupid question on my part. I'm Taehyung." I smiled. She returned the smile, showing pearly white, straight teeth. My stomach did a strange flip. 

"I'm Quinn." She seemed about to say something else, but Hoseok's voice interrupted. 

"Taehyung what's all the-" I turned to see him staring at Quinn. Hoseok stared at her for a solid ten seconds of silence, and I stood there, not sure what to do. Then, making me jump, he shouted. 

"Elijah, you didn't tell me you had a sister!" He rushed over and shoved me out of the way, grabbing Elijah's sister by the arm and pulling her into the living room where the others sat. I saw that she'd left her phone on the floor , and after a moment of hesitation, picked it up and followed. 

From the point of view of Quinn: 

"Elijah, you didn't tell me you had a sister!" The boy rushed over, pushed Taehyung out of the way, and pulled me into the room where the rest of them sat. All of a sudden six other pairs of eyes were staring at me, including Elijah. Another second of silence, and then Elijah yelled at his friends. 

"Hoseok, why did you drag my sister in here? And the rest of you, stop staring. You guys are like middle school boys." I looked around at all of them. It was true, they were all staring at me like they had never seen a girl before. I raised a hand and waved at them. 

"Hi." I said, suddenly aware of the wet spots my hair had left on my shirt.  

"What's up, dork?" Elijah turned his attention onto me. I rolled my eyes at his childish nickname. 

"What's up, big bro?" I stepped into the room, thinking that I might as well try to get along with them. Walking around behind the couch, I leaned on him and messed up his hair. Then, looking at his friends, I smiled and nodded in greeting. "Hey, guys. I'm Quinn." 

"Hi." 

"Hey." 

"Hello." Assorted greetings came from around the room. "I'm Namjoon." Said one the last one who spoke. He was a tiny bit taller than the other one, Taehyung, so he was much taller than me and my five eight height. 

"Hi. I'm Jimin." Waved a boy stretched out on an armchair with his feet up. I looked at him and laughed. 

"What?" He asked, looking at himself like he thought I was laughing at him. 

"Oh, nothing." I told him. Then I looked around to see who I left out. I turned to find Taehyung and the one who dragged me in here standing near the door. 

"And I already know you two. You're Taehyung," I smiled at him, then looked at his friend. "And your name is Hoseok, right? You're the one who dragged me in here." He smiled slightly sheepishly. 

"Yeah. That's me. Sorry about that. I just got excited." 

"Okay, enough about them. I'm Jin." Interrupted the lanky one sitting next to Elijah.  

"And I'm Yoongi." Said the sleepy looking guy next to Jimin, giving me a casual wave. There was silence as they all looked at the last boy, who was staring intensely at the screen, still playing his video game. 

"Hey, Kookie! Your turn." Jimin prodded him. The boy turned and looked at me. Well, actually just above my head, seeming to feel awkward about looking at me. 

'I'm Jungkook." He immediately turned back around and dove back into his game. 

"Aish, you fool. It's just a girl. Stop being so awkward." Yoongi kicked Jungkook's knee with his foot. I could see Jungkook's face coloring, and they all laughed at him, including me. 

"Well, you all actually seem pretty cool, which is amazing considering you're friends with Elijah." I turned and began to walk away. 

"Whatever, dork." Elijah tried to reach back and smack me. 

"Wait Quinn. Here's your phone. You dropped it in the hallway." Taehyung handed it to me. 

"Thanks. G'night guys." I turned back and smiled at them before going up the stairs. 

"G'night." Back in my room, I flopped onto my comfy, purple watercolor duvet and traced one of the flowers scattered across it with my fingerafter tossing my phone on the bedside table. 

'Damn, such an ordeal just to get my phone." I told the ceiling. I forget why I needed it in the first place. 

"Oh, right. My nineteenth birthday." I smiled at the ceiling. I'll text her tomorrow