Sinosijak

Life Changer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“There are two people you’ll meet in your life. One will run a finger down the index of who you are and jump straight to the parts of you that peak their interest. The other will take his or her time reading through every one of your chapters and maybe fold corners of you that inspired them the most. You will meet these two people; it is a given. It is the third that you’ll never see coming. That one person who not only finishes your sentences but keeps the book.”

 

 

I flipped the book closed. Well, the author explained it well. I nodded in silence by myself and sighed as I fell into my deep thoughts. People come and go. I had been holding onto those words for many years and yet still found it breaking my heart whenever someone make their move out of my life. I couldn’t blame them; the one who left. It was beyond our controls, no one should be put at blame. Maybe. But when it happens, I could not help but feel sad over it. Shedding tears, for me, could be a thing that makes us grew stronger to face anything that come before us.

 

I got up as I dusted the invisible dust from my . I glanced at my watch on my wrist, stated that it was almost 12 pm. I looked around the library; the surrounding was so quiet. There were some whispering sounds coming from a group of students studying at the corner of the library. Ah, suddenly I reminded that I got my final tests of my third semester next month. I grabbed the book that I read just now and went straight to the counter. It’d been a long time since I borrow a book, but borrowing this one won’t hurt I guessed. I approached the librarian with a smile. She replied it back with a plastic smile, and fixed her glasses, staring at the book I was holding.

 

“To find a Hope.” She said, again with her plastic smile that resembled a Barbie doll. Her smile reminded me of a scene in the movie of Toy Story 2, where a Barbie doll need to always smile even if it was a fake smile, until her cheeks hurt a lot.

 

“Yes, I find it interesting.” I said, handing the book for her to scan.

 

“Someone that borrow this before you also said the same thing. Don’t forget to return it in 10 days.” She said it in a monotonous tone as she handed the book back. “Enjoy.”

 

“Thanks,” I just shrugged and made my way to the door when suddenly the door was pulled open, revealing a girl that was probably in her high school years walking past by me. Her steps were loud.

 

“Excuse me.” She said, voice a little bit loud causing some of the students studying in the library to turn and stared at her.

 

The librarian replied a ‘yes’ as I noticed her eyebrows furrowed, looking a bit pissed off by the girl behavior. The girl seemed to be oblivious of it and continued to speak in the same tone as before, “I borrowed a book last week, but I seemed to left something important in the book. Like I inserted in the pages. Please, can you help me?” She leaned to the counter, seemed desperate.

The librarian rolled her eyes, “Okay, sure miss. What is the title of the book?”

 

I shook my head, thinking that I should make my way home by now. What is the point of watching this girl? I tighten my coat around me as I pushed the door opened. As I stepped out of the library, the cold breeze that stuffed my chest as I breathed welcomed me. Fixing my bangs that kept going into my eyes, I began to walk as suddenly I heard a voice calling.

 

“Excuse me, miss! Hey!”

 

I turned around, saw the same girl from the library before was running in little steps towards me. I waited for her as she finally standing in front of me, panting hard as if she had run a marathon to reach me.

 

“Are you looking for me?” I said, staring at her that was bending her body forward, still panting.

 

“No no.” She waved her hand, “No, I mean yes. The book you’re holding.” She ended her sentence as she pointed to the book I was holding.

 

“Ah this. Why?” I handed it to her. She immediately took it and flipped through the pages.

 

“Yes! Thank God!” She then took out something, brown in color, seemed dried, from the book.

 

I can’t help but asked her, “What’s that?”

 

She then smiled as she shifted her gaze from the thing she was holding right into my eyes. “Oh? A flower. Someone gave it to me and I kept it until now. Until I forgot that I left it in this book when I borrowed this book last week.”

 

“I bet your boyfriend gave you that.” I smiled a bit as she returned the book to me.

 

“No, my Mom gave it to me, before she left.” She said as she smiled brightly, staring at the flowers. “It used to be purple. She said that it is called as Iris.”

 

“Iris?” I flashed a small smile to her. No matter how bright her smile could be, I seemed able to notice there was a slight solemn in her eyes. “Hey, you know what Iris flower means?” I said, in a bright tone.

 

“Never know. Flower is not just my thing, okay?” She laughed a bit.

 

“It means

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter