final [1/2]

Red Velvet: The Purge

15:05 — Seoul, South Korea

 

"So, what are your plans for later?" a brunette seated in the passenger seat of a pick-up asked the driver—who's also her bestfriend—that's looking really dull at the moment.

 

"Well, what is there to do?"she lazily asks, earning a smack from the brunette.

 

"Stupid! There is clearly a lot to do! It's our first annual Purge in four hours. Can you imagine that? We get anything free and by anything, I mean anything!" she enthusiastically answers.

 

"You might've forgotten that anything also means you can kill anyone and anyone can kill us."

 

She received a scoff from her brunette friend, "And that anyone I'm going to kill is you for being a no-jam person."

 

"Wendy, what if we die?"

 

"Oh come on, Seulgi! We don't just die die, we die happily!" Wendy exclaimed.

 

"Tell me why did I agree with this again,  particularly with you!" Seulgi scoffed. 

 

"Why don't you tell me why didn't you just board the plane with Krystal to L.A!" Wendy responds with a mocking tone.

 

"You know I'd rather die because of the Purge than her wrath." 

 

"Exactly. It still keeps me wondering why she left exactly at the Purge though, I mean, she could legally kill you, y'know, that oppurtunity comes once in a blue moon."

 

"It also keeps me wondering why I'm friends with you, I could legally kill you, y'know, that oppurtunity comes once in a blue moon." Seulgi said with the exact tone Wendy used. 

 

Wendy snorted and smiled widely afterwards. 

 

Seulgi added, "I didn't mean to kill her favorite horse though. It was an accident, swear! I didn't know horses can't eat steak."

 

 Wendy facepalmed at the memory. "If I let you eat my stomach, would you eat it?"

 

The pick-up they're riding almosy crashed into a nearby trash can.

 

"Sh*t! Hell no! What kind of question is that?!" 

 

"Just asking on behalf of the horse." 

 

 

 

-

 

 

"We arrived!' Seulgi happily gets out of the car. 

 

There were three and a half hours until the Purge starts. 

 

"Are you for real, Seul?! All along the ride I thought we're going to a restaurant or something and here we are! In a toy store! A freaking toy store!" Wendy exaggerately says with her arms flailing in disbelief. 

 

"Stop overreacting, we're buying masks for later. " Seulgi says as she enters each aisle with Wendy reluctantly following from behind. 

 

"Masks?! In a freaking toy store?! What are you, four?!" 

 

"Don't make me shoot you and your mouth with this." Seulgi turns around with a Nerf Retaliator in her arms. 

 

Wendy gasps for a second then snatches the silent PS3 controller inside a glassboard beside her. 

 

"Don't make me throw this to your stupid and childish face!" Wendy says, positioning an action that shows she'll seriously throw it at Seulgi. 

 

But before both of them could do something, a staff interrupted from behind. 

 

"Excuse me, Maam. The Purge will start in a few hours so you might as well can wait, if you have plans on throwing it, legal actions can be done to you right now." 

 

Wendy looked indingently at him then down to his name tag, 

 

"My bad, don't worry, Suga. I have no intentions on really throwing it."

 

Then Wendy dragged Seulgi away.

 

"That Suga guy is arrogant, "legal actions can be done to you right now"" Wendy mimicked then she added, "I'm going to do legal actions to him later, you see that!"

 

"Woah, woah, easy there, he seemed like he really strucked a nerve on you, huh."

 

"I kinda don't like his attitude."

 

"Let it pass, I'm going to pay now by the way." Seulgi said, still holding the Nerf gun.

 

"Wow, you're really unbelievable, Seul. You could've waited until later so you can get it for free."

 

"Who said I'll buy it?"

 

 

But who was Seulgi kidding? 

 

They are both now in the roof of the mall, don't ask how they got there, they thought that maybe they can raid the mall or something.

 

"I can't believe we're doing this." Seulgi looks at the city from the roof. She sees houses starting to turn of their lights, a well-built man activating alarms and some devices—which Seulgi probably believes are trespasser-slaying mechanisms—outside his weapon shop.

 

"I can't believe your mask is a "Happy Birthday' headband." Wendy says before leaning beside with Seulgi.

 

"Wait, isn't that Oh Sehun?" Seulgi asks as she gets a clearer look on the well-built man.

 

"Uh-hu- Oh! It's Sehun!" Wendy exclaims, she excitedly waved her arms. "OhSen!"

 

Sehun seemed to notice who she is and he saluted in a joking manner.

 

Wendy started to pretend to fire bullets as if she has a machine gun. It was visible Sehun laughed as something white—his pearly bristles—appeared on his face, he copied Wendy's actions

 

"You're close with him?!" Seulgi asks.

 

"Of course, duh. I got our weapons from his shop for free!" Wendy happily exclaims.

 

"Weapons?! We have weapons?!"

 

"Miss Peabrain, I would've flown back to Canada if I'm going to the Purge armorless. Besides, your low-class Nerf can't get us through the whole twelve hours. I doubt it could get us alive in a minute."

 

"You mean this?" Seulgi asks as she fires a bullet straight to her forehead, her bangs acting as a shield.

 

"Ow!"

 

Wendy takes the chance to kick Seulgi's hard as the latter picked up the styrofoam-covered bullet from the ground.

 

"OUCH!"

 

Wendy ignored the other girl's pain as she spoke, "That's so inconvenient! You have to pick it up first and probably the moment you stand up, you're already dead."

 

"Excuse me!" Seulgi exclaims as she stands up. "It would be a waste if I left it here, and you know, I still have more." She said, opening her vest to reveal the sash filled with Nerf ammos.

 

"Seriously Seulgi?!"

 

Everyone was counting down. One more minute and it's the Purge.

 

 

-

 

Maybe splitting up was'nt a bad thing at all, that was what Seulgi thought.

 

And maybe deciding to raid a mall wasn't worse either.

 

Seulgi and Wendy decided to take different paths, Seulgi to the grocery area of the mall and Wendy to the vinyl store.

 

Seulgi was amazed at how Wendy was right. It was true that the malls are being locked down—as the whole place is quiet—and they're lucky they have successfully went inside.

 

Seulgi is happily skipping inside, she took a trolley and a basket. She then placed the basket inside the trolley.

 

It's really spotless, that's what she noticed at every aisle she walked in.

 

"First things first, the 'love of my life'" Seulgi said to no one.

 

She head to the chips section and spotted the too familiar red can.

 

She gathered all her might to put all the cans gently, even the small sizes and the ones in plastics into the trolley. She even got few of the green can, Onion-flavoured Pringles

 

Seulgi was a little bit struggling in pushing the cart but she managed to say again to no one. "Next, the honey of my life." 

 

Seulgi then went to the spread section of the hypermarket. She hurriedly pulled out her Nerf gun as she saw a black figure. Seulgi blinked again, "Oh, silly me. It's just the curtain." she says. "But why in the hell is Nutella locked in a different cupboard with curtains?!" she exclaims to no one again.

 

At the very moment, Seulgi also wondered why were Nutellas not placed inside a freezer or there in the fridges of the hypermarket.

 

"Great! Now I'll have to drive this there just to get a box of chocolate drink!"

 

Of course, Seulgi put all sizes of Nutella in the basket, leaving the whole cupboard half-empty as the basket doesn't obtain any more free space.

 

Seulgi drove the trolley quietly yet crelessly, making her almost bump into the canned goods. Since she was close to the freezer, she singlehandedly maneuvered the trolley, to be able to glance behind her hand hand, patting her sore bottom.

 

"Stupid Wendy! Stupid leg! Stupid kick!" Seulgi muttered angrily, still looking behind and patting her .

 

"Stupid but-"

 

She hadn't finished her words as she heard a loud yelp.

 

Seulgi looked straight quickly and it was her turn now to give out a yelp but no sound escaped as she was now openly gasping at the owner of the loud shrill.

 

A wide-eyed girl, her skin was white as snow—well, not as white as Wendy—it even helped the fact that she is wearing a very short black mini dress, her hair was up in a neat ponytail. She looked beyond elegant and Seulgi nearly forgot what Wendy had said about the lock-down. Seulgi nearly forgot about stealing goods for free. Seulgi nearly forgot about The Purge. Seulgi nearly forgot that she can get killed by this pretty stranger.

 

Seulgi was brought back to her senses when the other female pulled out a pistol from wherever the hell Seulgi doesn't know.

 

Seulgi was certain the girl had mixed feelings at the moment—probably a pool of bewilderment, shock, and annoyance—based on how her eyes and eyebrows contrast one another.

 

Of course she wasn't backing down, nor putting down her defenses, as she pulls out her gun fresh from the toy store they went hours ago.

 

Seulgi doesn't know whether she must be humiliated, mocked, or to be angry as the girl in front of her started to laugh out loud.

 

"A Nerf gun?! In the Purge?!" the other girl said in between laughs. It was a first that Seulgi made someone laugh, hard to be exact, in their first meeting, not even engaging conversations or exchanging words like how it is normally done. And it was far from feeling accomplished or honourable for Seulgi because it isn't. It never is.

 

"Why are people always underestimating the power of a Nerf gun?!" Seulgi thought.

 

She fired one inside the girl's mouth to prevent much more hearing of the girl's mocking laugh, next in her stomach which caused the latter to lose hold of what it seems like rice wine in a carton—Now, Seulgi remembers what she was here for—and the last one in the girl's head when she involuntarily bowed from the pain.

 

"You mother f**ker!"

 

Seulgi might regret this. 

 

She made a run, leaving her precious and free valuables, but not without snatching one can of Pringles, the smallest out of all the sizes, in the process.

 

 

Seulgi did regret doing it as she now found herself hiding in huge boxes the hypermarket have in their storage room.

 

It was a big mystery for Seulgi on how the main entrance, on where she coolly entered, of this whole place is closed then she remembered she was currently playing hide-and-seek—or maybe "Tag, you're out!"—with this stranger she's certain the cause of her early death.

 

Seulgi accidentally dropped the lid of her Pringles and boy, imagine her "shock" when she heard a playful yet terrifying "Come out, come out, wherever you are." that sent the whole electrc company down her spine.

 

She might regret this. Again. She thought.

 

Seulgi silently went out, so silent, none of her steps can be heard yet her munching quite makes a noise.

 

How can she stop? It was the only thing keeping her calm besides, Pringles' iconic line, "Once you pop, you cannot stop." is beyond true for Seulgi.

 

Seulgi peeked from a board and she quickly crouched down when her eyes spotted the black figure. She then again silently prayed to all Gods that must she be forgiven and must she not di with no Pringles in her hands.

 

When she was done, she checked again, but the figure is gone already.

 

Seulgi doesn't know whether must she be happy or not but her question was answered when a voice popped from her back.

 

"Gotcha!"

 

Not.

 

Seulgi quickly turned around and in an instant, she kneeled down and clasped the both of her hands, her Pringles peacefully tucked in her arms, and closed her eyes.

 

"Please don't kill me! All I want are free Pringles and Nutella! Maybe the Pringles alone is fine but I promise you, I won't kill you either! Nor hit you with my Nerf again!"

 

Seulgi opened her eyes and the other girl didn't look convinced or pitied either. It was about time, Seulgi thought. This may not work on Wanie but I hope it does on you

 

It's been long since she last did it and she despised doing it but..

 

Seulgi was sure no one can resist her, well, maybe except for Wendy who was already immuned to it, maybe there's a chance the other girl can but there is no way she could receive a disgusted expression from it.

 

Well, here goes her last weapon.

 

Seulgi looked up and straight at the other girl's eyes, who were looking at her also, though it was hard, she had to maintain her gaze.

 

Seulgi then let out her—what she thinks—most lethal weapon. 

 

Puppy eyes.

 

Not too much, not too less.

 

"Please."

 

It totally worked as the other girl put down her pistol. Seulgi internally celebrated but the party was soon crashed when the other girl smirked,

 

"In one condition."

 

Seulgi furrowed her eyebrows and she swore whatever face she made, that made the smirk deeper, was purely unintentional. She didn't like the idea of this. She didn't like where this is going. She wasn't ready to lose her v-

 

"Come with me shop for detergents."

 

Seulgi lost control of herself and laughed out loud, there she was extremely worrying about herself, about dying, about asking forgiveness, and they're making up with a detergent.

 

"What am I, your nanny?!" she managed to say after laughing.

 

But Seulgi completely stopped when the pistol was targetted again at her.

 

"S-so where's the detergents at? Y-you know I really love mint and maybe l-lavender and t-that combined will m-make a good scent, no?" Seulgi said while walking away from the other.

 

Unfortunately, she hadn't caught a glimpse of the small smile creeping on the other's face.

 

Right. She wasn't ready to lose her very precious life.

 

 

 

Author's Note: Well, I started writing this at June 2017,if I'm not mistaken, and I kind of lost my draft of this one. So I made a promise to myself that if I find it, I'm going to write it. So,yeah, here it is. Thank you so much for waiting a lot, my precious readers. I'm also thinking of updating my other fics as well though I'm having a hard time on thinking on what to update first. Do tell me your thoughts about it. Thank you! 

 

By the way, this chapter didn't describe much about the happenings in the Purge but don't worry, on the next chapter I will. :)

 

.