As Silly as it Seems

Did It Happen To You Too?

Your parents were the ones to teach you about soulmates; you would have never known your world was supposed to be in color otherwise.

“It happens in an instant!” Your father had described. “You’ll make eye-contact and then BAM, color!”

“But it’s not just the color,” your mom lovingly grabbed your father’s hand, “there’s this indescribable emotion that overwhelms you, like you’ve found this missing piece you never even knew was gone!” You just stared back at your parents’ smiling faces. You had no idea what they were talking about.

“I don’t really understand…”

“You will someday sweetheart, we promise!” 

But you didn’t. Your world continued to stay black and white while so many others around you had theirs burst into color. To say it was depressing would be an understatement. But you found your joy in other areas, chiefly in music; more specifically, a certain group. Scratch that, particularly a certain boy in said group. It was no secret that Jeon Jungkook held a special place in your heart, as special as a non-soulmate could get. You were completely entranced by this man, so needless to say when you got tickets to a fan signing, you lost your damn mind (but at this point you were sure you lost it already). 

On the day of the fansign, you left your hotel about two hours early, bringing your album, questions, and a few presents for the members. You were practically skipping down the street as you made your way to the venue, already finding fans standing outside waiting. You were quick to make friends with the girls in front of you, whom you discovered came all the way from Japan. You all began friendly conversation, talking about your favorite groups and trying to find other things you had in common. Eventually, the topic of soulmates came up, and you found comfort in knowing that neither of the girls had found theirs yet either.

“But can you imagine,” Nami, one of the girls, spoke up excitedly, “if it turns out one of Bangtan is our soulmate?”

“Haven’t most of the members found their soulmates already?” The other girl, Chiyo, turns to her friend skeptically. “They even wrote a few songs about it on the album.”

“Yes, but Jungkook, Suga, and Jin have not!”

“That’s unconfirmed!” Chiyo scolded her friend. “We just have the rumors to go by, it could turn out that all of them have already found soulmates.” 

The thought made your heart sink. No matter how silly it seemed, a large part of you wanted to be Jungkook’s soulmate, however unlikely. The girls and you continued to mindlessly chat until the doors finally opened and you all rushed in to take your seats. You found yourself sitting far away from Nami and Chiyo, their tickets leading them to the very front row, while you were seated more towards the back. You thought how lucky those girls at the front must be, but you were satisfied that you would at least get to meet your idol, even though you couldn’t see the stage right now. You heard Bangtan’s music start to fill the auditorium and the screams of every girl in the room with you. You would have screamed too if you could see past their heads. Suddenly you heard J-Hope’s voice break through the screams.

They must be on stage now!

You craned your neck around the various obstacles to catch even a glimpse at whatever everyone else was having a fit over. You could hear Rap Monster formally introduce the group, both in Korean and English, followed by various shouting from the other boys.  You could barely pay attention to what they were saying, too busy becoming increasingly uncomfortable with all the yelling, when suddenly, something cut through the noise like a knife, and you couldn’t place the feeling it gave you, but in that moment no other sound mattered. 

It was his voice. Jungkook’s voice, that’s what you had heard! Why did it make you feel so weird though? And why did it feel like everything got quiet the moment he spoke, almost like it was just the two of you, alone in an empty room. 

Well duh, I have a crush on him~

But you couldn’t completely shake the feeling that it was more than that. Once you were out of your trance, you noticed that the staff had started to bring the girls up, row by row, to greet the members and have their albums signed. You held your album close to your chest, trying desperately to will away the nerves that were consuming you.

I will not be a crazy fan, I will not be a crazy fan, I will not be a crazy fan, you repeated in your head like a mantra, reminding yourself that these boys are just people like you! Very handsome, very talented people… who hip a lot.

This isn’t helping…

You sighed and tried counting to ten, not realizing that your group was up next. The girl behind you kindly tapped your shoulder, giving you a knowing smile.

“We’re up!” You looked back at her apologetically.

“Oh I’m so sorry!” You started gathering your things. “I guess I’m a little nervous.”

“First fansign right?”

“Yeah… how did you know I spoke English?”

“You were talking to yourself out loud.” She giggled while you covered your face in embarrassment, quickly shuffling along with the rest of the group.

When you reached the table, Namjoon was the first member in the lineup; he glanced up at your face and gave you a sweet smile while he signed your album and read the question you wrote down.

“Do you have enough Ryan merch?” He read off of your sticky note before looking up at you smiling, displaying his gorgeous dimples, “Never!”

“Good,” you pulled a beanie with Ryan’s face on it out of your bag and handed it to Namjoon, “because I got you something!”

“Aw, you’re so sweet, thank you very much!”

“You’re welcome!”

Your interactions with the other members were similar, they were all very sweet and very handsome up close, and if just this was giving you a hard time, you hated to imagine what your nerves would be like in front of Jungkook. You had purposefully been avoiding looking his way to entire time, certain you would loose your calm demeanor in an instant. But once J-Hope handed your album back to you, there was only once place to go. Of course someone had conveniently placed him at the end of the line, as if to prolong your suffering, but it had to be done, he was the reason why you were here in the first place.

All right, time to meet Jungkook! Don’t freak out…

You kept your eyes to the floor up until the last second, looking up at him as you handed him your album. What you didn’t expect though, was the sudden rush you felt, like someone was blowing cold air directly in your face, but at the same time your entire body burned like you were on fire. You hadn’t even noticed that his hand had brushed yours until your vision was flooded with something indescribable, but you were certain you knew what this was.

Color…

It was him. He was your soulmate. But he was staring at you with an odd look on his face, and that’s when you realized you must have been gawking at him. You quickly stuttered out an apology, seeing how stiff he was, thinking you made him uncomfortable. You saw him resume signing your album, forgetting to read your question entirely, before handing it back to you, his movements almost robotic.

Oh my god, this can be happening… 

Yes you found your soulmate, but judging from his reaction…

I don’t think I’m his

You’ve seen this happen before, to friends, coworkers, in movies even, but you never thought it could happen to you. It was so rare, yet so utterly heartbreaking, to find your soulmate and know you’d never be theirs. With a heavy heart, you turned away to go back to your seat, desperately trying to keep the tears from falling from your eyes.


For you, it happened slowly. First with his voice, then with his gaze, and lastly with his touch. But for Jungkook it happened all at once, and it felt like the wind had been knocked out of him. As painful as that sounds, somehow it was oddly pleasant, like a surprise you weren’t expecting. And boy was Jungkook surprised; his whole world finally filled with color right before his very eyes, and the first thing he got to see was your beautiful face. Jungkook didn’t think he’d ever met someone so mesmerizing. He was so caught up in the moment, in the sheer amazement of the new world he had been introduced to, that he forgot why he was there in the first place. Your voice brought his out of his trance slightly, and he remembered that he was supposed to be signing your album. He glanced up at your face halfway through to see a crestfallen expression adorning it. You were his soulmate; but the look on your face made him believe that he wasn’t yours. He didn’t know what to say, what to do even; so much had been given and then subsequently taken away in a single moment, and he wasn’t sure if his heart could bear it. He watched you walk away from the table, but he couldn’t let things end like this.

“Hyung,” He pulled on J-Hope’s sleeve, completely disregarding the girls in front of them. “T-that was her.”

“Who?” Hoseok turned to look at the maknae, his smile fading noticing the panicked look on Jungkook’s face.

“There’s color now Hobi, that was her!” Jungkook looked desperate now and Hoseok finally understood, grabbing the younger man by the shoulders.

“Are you serious?”

“Yes!”

“Then go get her!”

“What? I’m not even sure it was the same for her…”

“And you’re just gonna let her walk away? Go. Get. Her. You’ll never get this chance again.”

Hoseok was right and Jungkook knew it. With a new resolve, he got up from his chair and stalked after you, baffling every girl in the room. With your head turned around and your hair in your face, you didn’t even notice him until you felt a tap on your shoulder, causing you to spin around and come face to face with Jeon Jungkook. You hoped to god he couldn’t see the tears threatening to spill from your eyes.

“Your name…”

“Excuse me?”

“I uh… you never told me your name.”

“(Y/N).” He repeated your name softly to himself, like it was a beautiful secret only meant for him. His eyes were wide in awe as a small smile found its way to his lips.

“(Y/N),” he said again, and you swore it sounded like heaven itself had opened up to sing your name, “D-did it happen to you too?” He stumbled on his words nervously, anxious to hear your answer.

“Did what?” You asked delicately, disbelief coating your words. 

There’s no way…

Jungkook’s face fell at your response.

“I um, I guess not, I’m sorry I bo—“ Jungkook looked at his feet, turning away before you suddenly cut him off, and he swore it was the sweetest thing he’d ever heard.

“You mean the color?” His face snapped up to yours, trying to read your emotions as his threatened to spill over.

“Yes! Did you…?” He looked at you expectantly and your mouth broke out into a wide smile, the tears finally slipping down your cheeks, but for a whole different reason. You nodded furiously.

“Yes!”

“So we’re—“

“Soulmates!”

“Yeah,” You both burst out into nervous laughter, unsure of what to do next but undeniably happy. “How long are you in Korea?”

“I’m staying for a few weeks to sightsee.”

“Would you mind… if I came along?”

“I’d like that, a lot actually.” You were beaming. “But..”

“But?”

“I’m gonna need your number~” Jungkook laughed.

“I don’t think that will be a problem.”

 

It wasn’t too long after that (well okay, it was actually about ten years, but who’s counting?) that you found yourself sitting on your couch, your hand intertwined with your husband’s, telling the littlest Jeon what’s it’s like to find your soulmate.

“Words can’t even describe it! But when it happens, you’re going to be so happy. I know I am.”