Chapter I

The Stranger's Sillhoutte

“What? What the hell do you mean by out of stock?”

 

“It’s not out of stock, mister. It’s unavailable. We didn’t sell it and we never sell it.”

 

“But I thought—“

 

“Yeah, yeah we’re the best in the city, dude. So we sell only the best. You have a really out of date car, it’s not my fault. Unless you want me to order the damaged part from other shop and repair your car for you”

 

Seojoon momentarily glared at the short and skinny mechanic, heaving a deep sigh before fishing out his loaded wallet from his well-tailored suit. The mechanic scrunched his nose, squatting down to pick up a big spanner to resume his work back.

 

He is a very busy man; he’s got a lot of cars to repair. His boss paid him to work his off, not to deal with a customer’s . As much as his devilish side urged him to leave the man and his pathetic old car, his angelic side won so he decided to wait with his hand rested on the side of his hips.

 

“Here,” Seojoon half-heartedly handed the mechanic some bucks, probably for deposit. Finally, the mechanic sighed. “So, mister, leave your phone number and your car’s plate number. Probably in 2 weeks, you will receive a call.”

 

“Probably?” Seojoon lifted an eyebrow, quite couldn’t grasp as to why he needed to wait for days. It wasn’t like his car crashed into a lamp pole or something. The mechanic realised that the man in front of him demanded further explanation so he mouthed, “Out of date, and a bit hard to order the parts. You look like a fine rich man, why stick to this vintage thing?”

 

Sliding in his wallet back inside his pocket, he said, “I maybe look young and rich but I’m rather old and poor in the inside,”

 

The mechanic scoffed, “Yeah, throw me a philosophical , you’re getting nowhere with

that.”

 

<>

 

She gasped, dry air escaped from her gaped mouth. A tight hand wrapped around her slender wrist, forcing her whole body to freeze— not a sign of submission, but because her muscles were dead tired that she didn’t bother to fight anymore. She never did, anyway.

 

The loud music blasted in the whole room, but all she could hear was her own pants.

 

The moment her back met the hard wall with painful impact, she thought she was dead, blurred vision turned pitch black.

 

 

<>

 

 

A baby with its mom desperately trying to stop loud sobs on his left and a very asleep drooling boy student occasionally bumped his shoulder on his right— this is why he loathed public transportation. Seojoon mentally tried to grip himself together as he looked up in attempt to puff carbon dioxide from his lungs. When he saw a very tired pregnant woman stood not too far from him, he eventually got an idea.

 

Maybe, just maybe, he did this because he wanted to escape from ridiculous situation he was in, not because he was angelic enough or something.

 

Getting up, he cautiously stepped on the floor as the train would stop in any moment and he has that high pride to not fall inside a train with people— he is too handsome for that kind of embarrassment.

 

“Um, hello, you can sit there.” Seojoon pointed towards his former seat, flashing an honest smile when the lady replied with a silent gratitude.

 

Good luck dealing with the people, he wanted to say but no, he has a good image to keep. So he watched the lady took her steps, only turned away when she finally sat.

 

Seojoon spun around to grip the pole but he noticed that someone was leaning against it and that someone was way shorter than he is so he put his hand at the top of the person’s head. Well he couldn’t just assume the gender. The person probably has long curvy blonde hair and a bit petite but it could be small drunk guy, or an alcoholic young woman. Oh god, the horrible smell.

 

This is why he loathed public transportation.

 

Head lifted off the pole, the stranger glance around to observe the surrounding, and when the pair of beautiful eyes met Seojoon’s, he noticed that it’s a woman. A very beautiful and drunk young woman but she’s damn stinky he actually wanted to gag.

 

Seojoon fought himself from pinching his nose because he didn’t want to appear rude or what in front of a beautiful lady although the trash scent could dig through his floral scent soul. He moved backwards instead, but hand still on the pole.

 

“Damn,” He mumbled to himself quietly. “If she’s in a right state, I would ask for her number.”

 

Still checking out the nice figure of the girl (as typical guys did when they saw beautiful girls), his curious eyes lingered on the girl’s hand that was circling the pole, just a few centimetre below his. What caught his attention wasn’t the pretty veiny hand, but the dark purplish bruise around her wrist peeking from her sleeve.

 

A fresh bruise or an old bruise, he didn’t know but it looked really hurt especially judging from the vivid size.

 

When the sound announced that it had reached the station he was heading to, Seojoon realised his curiosity was too strong that it took a few seconds for him to finally pull himself together.

 

As he stepped out of the train, he mumbled, “Too bad,”

 

 

 

<>

 

 

“You okay?”

 

A soothing and familiar voice ringed into her ears, just like an alarm. Hyoyeon opened her eyes, body aching everywhere and her head throbbed. Switching her laying position into sitting, she grabbed the pillow from her side, and tucked it below her chin.

 

Looking through the window, she assumed it was already past evening. Dang she had just slept for more than she expected. A silent hiss escaped as she accidentally hit her wrist on the armrest. She remembered the rough night she had, she wished she didn’t but the bruise forced her to.

 

“I’m sorry.” The other person in the room said. It probably was sincere but she couldn’t hear the honest tone beneath the words. Placing a mug on the table in front of her, he plopped himself beside her while placing an arm around her shoulders.

 

Should she be afraid?

 

“I’m literally hurt, Soohyun. Both physically and mentally”

 

“I know, Hyoyeon. I’m sorry, seriously I am.”

 

“Are you?”

 

“Look, baby.” Soohyun pulled her closer, placing sharp chin on the crown of her head. Hyoyeon was certain he was harmless, at least at that time, so she slowly leaned her head to nuzzle his neck. “I was really jealous, okay? I couldn’t stand seeing you with other guy. I am— I thought you’re mine.”

 

“Let’s just change the topic. I’m tired,”

 

He sighed, “Fine.” Brushing her slightly long bangs to the side of her forehead, he continued, “How did you come home last night?”

 

“Train.”

 

“In your drunken state?”

 

“Well, yeah, because a jealous idiot just decided to leave.”

 

His hand tensed. Hyoyeon thought it was best not to talk at all so she stood up from the couch, the man’s arm slid off her shoulders as he stared up at her with frown. “Where are you going?”

 

Entering their shared bedroom to change her clothes, she said, “Somewhere.”

 

 

<>

 

The second day he took the train, no glimpse of yesterday’s stranger could be seen inside the couch. He wasn’t hoping to meet her (well a small part of him actually did) but it would be nice if just a story could be shared, like where the hell the bruise came from.

 

“Damn it. I should stop thinking about it.” He sighed. He should, he was very adamant, except that he couldn’t.

 

It took him another round to the corner before reaching his apartment building but just a few steps away; a vivid silhouette was seen from where he was idly standing. Judging by the thin smoke he was sure very hazardous to health, he frowned, someone was smoking in between of the slightly narrow slit of two buildings.

 

Seojoon decided to resume his steps; it wasn’t his business to interfere with whatever the person was doing. Well some people believe that inhaling the addictive smoke would ease their distresses but they are risking their bodies for that so what’s the point?

 

Shaking his head, he grabbed tighter the thick jacket he was wearing and stepped into the white building.

 

 

<>

 

 

Hyoyeon puffed out thick smoke from her lungs, before taking a long drag again. Leaning on the wall behind her, she took the short stick off with her fingers. She wasn’t a heavy smoker, and she despised cigarette before but now, the addictive thing was her only companion to ease her messed up mentality.

 

Just a few weeks ago she remembered reminding someone the danger of cigarette, ironically, a few weeks after she followed the person’s habit. The power of love, she scoffed, even the negative things.

 

“Hey, how many times? You shouldn’t smoke, at least not when I’m here.” Hyoyeon said with a straight tone. Though she appeared mad, she knew the man who was lying on the couch with a cigar between his lips, wasn’t even a bit intimidated.

 

She thought he would stop, but when she was sure he wouldn’t, she went closer to the couch and crossed her arms on her chest. “You want to die quick and left me?”

 

The man chuckled, still managed to talk despite the unlit cigar between his lips, “Of course not.”

 

“Yeah, that proves me wrong.” She scoffed, pointing to the stick. “Do you know what filled inside the damn cigar? A single drag, Soohyun, just a single drag would damage you. I’m sorry but hey, I don’t want to spend my life being single when I can enjoy everything with my husband— umph.”

Soohyun was fast to drag Hyoyeon down and smirked when she fell onto his chest, petite body fit well in the gap between his legs. A slight red creep up to her cheeks as she noticed the mere inches that separated them apart.

 

Gulping, Hyoyeon stammered, “G-give a damn warning. What the hell.”

 

“Husband, huh? You already think of marrying me?” Blowing the cigar off his mouth to the side, Hyoyeon watched the stick fell onto the floor before facing his lover again. “Well, don’t you?”

 

“Always.” He deadpanned. “If just I don’t have people following me around, I would instantly marry you the first time we met, Hyoyeon.”

 

Leaning in to place her lips on his, she whispered, “I’m waiting for a grand propose.” She could feel a smile formed on his lips when their lips met again.

 

 

“The perks of having a celebrity boyfriend.” She chuckled at herself, “You’re such an idiot, Hyo. Of all guys, you’ve attracted the most wanted one.”

 

Hyoyeon looked at her surroundings, she wasn’t sure how she first ended up here (she remembered that she had nowhere to go, so she trusted her random steps) but the place was silent and nice. She should come here often to smoke, she thought, her boyfriend won’t catch her inhaling smoke if this was the place she went to.

 

As her eyes caught someone passed by her, certainly a man wearing a thick jacket, tall with muscular body, her eyebrows met at the sight. A blurred memory reminded the familiarity of the guy but she couldn’t figure it out.

 

 

 

<>

 

Seojoon finally met the girl this time; he was very delighted as he had waited for several days for this moment. The sad thing was, even he got days to man himself up, the braveness in him melted instantly after he saw her.

 

Both were inside the train, just like the last time. Just as usual, the train was packed, considering that it was at peak hour. She seemed too engrossed on her phone, sometimes groaning and cursing as she furiously tapped the screen. Most of the times, audible giggle escaped whilst she bit her bottom lip.

 

She was wearing simple clothing— a wide white shirt revealing her collarbones, black skinny jeans and dark blue sneakers. She looked super flawless in his eyes. Oh, he was head over heels.

 

They were apart too far for his liking. Though they sat just across each other, she was very far at the end, just beside the sliding door. He heaved a deep sigh. Luck wasn’t at his side again.

 

He convinced himself, he would be a damn coward for his whole life if he wouldn’t make a move this time. So gathering the remaining courage that he had, he stood up, turned around on his shoes to check his reflection on the window before spun to the front again and took his steps.

 

The announcer’s voice filled in the couch as the train halted softly.

 

Damn, damn he had to move fast.

 

People began to gather towards the door so he tip toed to make sure that he won’t lose her, neck flexed to search for the girl. As the door opened, people went out, he never moved this fast before.

 

 

 

 

 

He lost her.

 

 

 

<>

 

“It’s been like a dang week, Seojoon. You only talked about how pretty the girl is and how you regretted not asking for her number. Can you stop, please, for god’s sake?”

 

Seojoon took a sharp glance at his colleague and said, “I’m a loyal guy, Haneul. I won’t give up until I found her. It’s a dang week. Not a dang year.”

 

Haneul let out a loud laugh, but the even louder upbeat song in the wide place overpowered. “Hey, you’re not even this determined at work. What the actual hell. This girl sure has influence on you.” Wiping his tears, he continued, “Oh god, you sure it was not Hermione that you met? She probably had cast a love spell on you.”

 

“Shut the f up, Haneul.” Seojoon slapped Haneul’s shoulder when the guy was still laughing. Seojoon clearly couldn’t spot the funny thing here. He was being loyal, what was wrong with that?

 

“Don’t even think to insult me when you can’t even say the f word.”

 

“I’m too handsome and pure to say that.” He scowled, “Why are we even here, anyway?”

 

Seojoon took a moment to take a look at the place. They were standing at the far corner whilst people or maybe fans were crowding in the middle of the wide space. In front of the people was a high and big stage. The blue and red lights on the stage were turned dim but still vivid for the eyes. Haneul had said that this was the famous place where underground dancers showed their talents, those who preferred to be low rather than taking spotlights from the nation.

 

“We’re here for Kwangsoo,” said Haneul. He thought his friend was joking but judging from the serious look, he stopped himself from laughing.

 

“What? Kwangsoo doesn’t dance. Not with his stiff limbs!”

 

“Exactly.”

 

“The hell was that answer even?”

 

Haneul sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, “I owed Kwangsoo a thing. So in return, because he couldn’t go to this show, I agreed to take a video of this dancer that he has a massive big crush on. Satisfied?”

 

“And why did you drag me along?”

 

“Because you owed him a thing too, so I thought why not?”

 

“Hey, you can’t just decide on my behalf—“

 

Deafening scream from the crowd broke the two’s conversation, signing that a dancer had showed up to the stage as the show’s opener. The dancer has a petite figure, wearing blue tight jeans, an ed denim jacket with white shirt underneath, a pair of white sneakers and a black cup hung low on head, blonde long hairs fall over small shoulders. The dancer’s head was hidden but the powerful moves showed certainly weren’t.

 

Urgh, blonde. Why everything just seemed to remind me of certain someone?

 

Jason Derulo’s Swalla reached its highlight and the crowd cheered even louder when the figure on stage began to show cool dance tricks, moving her hips gracefully and flashed y moves. The crowd cheered again, mostly the guys, Seojoon almost included but he contained himself.

 

As Nicki Minaj’s part came, the girl slid to the side to reveal another dancer— a guy— who wore matching attire. The couple showed fluid routine, even tangling their bodies together to display some affection but released each other shortly after to let the guy stole the spotlight.

 

Seojoon unconsciously clapped when the performance ended, it was too awesome that his body automatically responded with exultant applause. The girl dancer took a microphone from a staff, audible breath echoed as she took off her cap.

 

“Oh my god, it’s her.”

 

Haneul looked to the wide eyed Seojoon beside him and turned to the stage again. “What do you mean—“ Realization hit him across the face. Girl, blonde long locks, petite, all the details that his friend had told him, it’s her. “Dude, are you sure? I mean, this is Korea. Some people have similarities in their looks—“

 

The dancer flashed a big smile as she yelled into the microphone, “Enjoy the talents, people! The show starts now!”

 

 

 

Seojoon hurriedly ran towards the backstage, he wasn’t going to miss the chance again.