THE END

Smile

It all started with an exchange of smiles.

 

Tzuyu never thought that she’d fall for such a sweet smile.

 

At first she passed it off, but she never thought that her feelings would bloom into something bigger and beautiful. Her heart would beat faster than a rollercoaster and her cheeks would always turn into a rosy pink, causing her to always be flustered around the smaller girl.

 

Chaeyoung on the other hand, was aware of her feelings for the younger girl ever since she laid eyes on her. Like Tzuyu though, she didn’t think that the younger one would make her fall so deep. One touch from Tzuyu sent bolts of electricity throughout her body and just hearing her voice made Chaeyoung feel like she was in cloud-nine.

 

However, neither of the two had the courage to confess. They were completely oblivious of each other’s feelings.

 

Ever since they first met, they’ve gradually become closer until becoming best friends. The thought of dating each other was a dream for both.

 

An unrealistic dream.

 

Their friends can only watch sadly from afar. They were aware of Tzuyu and Chaeyoung’s strong feelings for each other, but knew that it wasn’t their place to say anything. All they can do is try to persuade and wait for the two to just confess already.

 

“ It’s not that easy,” Chaeyoung sighed.

 

“ I like you, there you go! Only three words,” Dahyun raised three fingers.

 

“ But what if she doesn’t feel the same?” Chaeyoung asked sadly.

 

“ But what if she does?” Dahyun shot back.

 

-

 

“ Come on Tzuyu, you can do it,” Jihyo puffed.

 

“ I don’t know Jihyo,” Tzuyu blushed.

 

“ It’s easy! Look where the three words got Nayeon and Jeongyeon,” Jihyo smiled.

 

“ But what if it doesn’t turn out the same for Chaeyoung and I? What if she starts hating me?” Tzuyu lowered her head.

 

“ Don’t think so negatively, she wouldn’t do something like that,” Jihyo patted the younger girl’s head.

 

-

 

Tzuyu’s parents flew out of the country for a business trip. So, she invited Chaeyoung over for a sleepover. If it weren’t for the older girl’s company, Tzuyu would surely have died of fear from the storm outside.

 

“ It’s raining quite hard, huh?” Tzuyu looked out the window.

 

“ I hope your parents’ flight is going to be okay,” Chaeyoung mentioned.

 

Tzuyu blushed.


Chaeyoung is caring, that’s for sure. She always put other people before her. That was just one of the many amazing qualities Tzuyu loved about the girl. She could make a list in alphabetical order of all the things that Tzuyu loved about Chaeyoung.

 

Chaeyoung turned her head towards Tzuyu and smiled.

 

That smile, Tzuyu thought.

 

She thanked the dimly lit room for preventing Chaeyoung from seeing her face clearly because her face was redder than a cherry.

 

“ Chaeyoung…” Tzuyu muttered.

 

“ Hm?” Chaeyoung hummed.

 

This was it. This was the moment.

 

But nothing came out.

 

It was as if something was stuck in her throat, preventing her from saying the words. She hated it. She just wanted to say the three words, but couldn’t.

 

Chaeyoung tilted her head in confusion but continued to smile. Oh how Tzuyu just wanted to grab Chaeyoung’s face and kiss those lips. Those pink lips that she had wanted to claim for so long.

 

They stared at each other without saying anything. The silence wasn’t awkward, it was comfortable. They didn’t need to say anything to prevent an awkward mood. All they needed was each other.

 

Chaeyoung on the other hand, felt lost just looking at Tzuyu’s brown orbs. She could stare at her eyes for hours without getting tired of it. It was artwork to her. Artwork that she had admired for so many years.

 

“ I have something to ask,” Chaeyoung gulped.

 

Tzuyu nodded, urging Chaeyoung to continue. Chaeyoung repeated the question in her head, hoping that it’ll come out right before finally saying it out loud.


“ Have you fallen in love with anyone?” Chaeyoung finally let out.

 

It took a second for Tzuyu to answer, but when she did, Chaeyoung wished that she never asked.

 

“ Yes.” Tzuyu answered.

 

Chaeyoung didn’t know how to feel. Confusion? Sadness? Anger? Or happiness for her friend?

 

“ You?” Tzuyu asked in return.

 

Chaeyoung slowly nodded, not needing words to answer the question.

 

Just like Chaeyoung, Tzuyu’s heart slowly broke, not knowing that it was actually Chaeyoung who likes her. Nonetheless, their night continued, creating a rare awkward vibe between the two.

 

-

 

Tzuyu ran to Jihyo and Momo the next day during school. They embraced the crying girl, providing comfort for the broken hearted Tzuyu.

 

“ She likes someone else,” Tzuyu cried in Jihyo’s arms.

 

Jihyo and Momo exchanged confused looks with each other. Did they misunderstand everything?

 

It was their turn to be confused.

 

On the other side of campus, Chaeyoung was being comforted by Jeongyeon and Dahyun. Her emotions were in a blur but she didn’t cry, nor could she couldn’t think straight. All Chaeyoung could think of at moment was the identity of the person that stole Tzuyu’s heart.

 

Dahyun and Jeongyeon left Chaeyoung alone at her request. They were just as confused as Jihyo and Momo. They knew for sure that something was going on between Chaeyoung and Tzuyu, but this just baffled them.

 

They called Jihyo and Momo, but it only resulted in a nonsense argument. They couldn’t get much information out of Tzuyu and Chaeyoung so they ended up being even more confused than they originally were.

 

They thought for sure that Chaeyoung and Tzuyu were head over heels for each other.

 

-

 

“ Maybe I should just give up,” Chaeyoung stabbed her rice.

 

Dahyun exchanged looks with Nayeon, who joined them after hearing the news.

 

“ Chaeyoung, please. Don’t give up. I’m sure that Tzuyu feels the same about you,” Nayeon rest her hand on Chaeyoung’s.

 

Chaeyoung stayed silent for a minute. Her eyes were turning glossy due to the unbearable pain in her heart.

 

“ It’s just really painful. I don’t know just how much my heart can take,” Chaeyoung slowly shook her head.

 

She walked away from the table, leaving a dumbfounded Nayeon and Dahyun.

 

-

 

“ Look Tzuyu, you’re better than this! You are Chou Tzuyu! There hasn’t been anything that’s stopped you from achieving anything. Why should a simple misunderstanding stop you from being with Chaeyoung?” Jihyo asked Tzuyu.

 

Jihyo really helped lift Tzuyu’s mood. She helped bring back the old Tzuyu in just a week.

 

And this time, Jihyo actually convinced Tzuyu into finally confessing to Chaeyoung and that Tzuyu shouldn’t give up on Chaeyoung so easily. Tzuyu already fell hard for Chaeyoung, so why should she get rid of her feelings so easily?

 

“ You’re right. This isn’t gonna stop me. Thank you Jihyo,” Tzuyu hugged the older girl.

 

Jihyo grinned proudly and lead Tzuyu to where the rest of the group was meeting for lunch. The group of nine friends were coming together for lunch after a long time. And Tzuyu decided that this would be the right moment to finally confess her feelings to Chaeyoung.

 

As they walked through the campus, Tzuyu halted, causing Jihyo to turn back in confusion.

 

“ Tzuyu?” Jihyo asked.

 

Tzuyu’s heart filled with so much overwhelming sadness and confusion. Never had she felt anything worse. Nor had she ever seen something so heartbreaking. Tzuyu knew for sure, that there was nothing worse than seeing what she just saw.

 

Jihyo’s eyes followed Tzuyu’s. Her eyes gaped once laying eyes on what Tzuyu saw.

 

It was Chaeyoung being hugged and kissed on the cheek by another girl. They both couldn’t recognize who it was, leaving them both even more baffled.

 

Tzuyu felt like her heart sunk out of her body. She wanted to believe that what she was seeing wasn’t real and that all the precious times she spent with Chaeyoung weren't just a dream. Her eyes finally filled with the tears that she’d been trying to conceal for so long.

 

She promised herself not to cry, but here she was: A crying mess.

 

Jihyo hugged Tzuyu but Tzuyu broke free and ran away. She ran to wherever her legs took her. Jihyo ran after the younger girl, asking for her to stop, but ended up losing her.

 

This didn’t go unnoticed by Chaeyoung. She was only able catch a glimpse of Tzuyu’s face before running away. Her back slowly becoming smaller until she was out of view.

 

Chaeyoung wanted to go after her, but because Yeri was holding onto her tightly, she wasn’t able to run after Tzuyu.

 

Everything happened at a blur. Chaeyoung was just hugging her old childhood friend.

 

She didn’t even realize that Tzuyu was there to witness the whole thing. She worried that Tzuyu might have gotten the wrong idea.

 

Chaeyoung was in panic and was filled with much worry. She wanted to know why Tzuyu was crying and wanted to see if Tzuyu was okay.

 

Her heart ached so badly. She also felt like crying just from seeing Tzuyu’s face.

 

But, little did Chaeyoung know that it was because of her, that Tzuyu revealed her tears.

“ What’s wrong Chaeng?” Yeri asked, sensing Chaeyoung’s uncomfort.

 

“ I’ve-I’ve gotta go. I’m sorry Yeri,” Chaeyoung said as she broke free from Yeri’s embrace.

 

Cheayoung immediately ran to the direction Tzuyu went, hoping that she can still catch up to the latter.

 

-

 

“ I can’t find her,” Jeongyeon panted.

 

“ Did you check all the hallways?” Sana asked.

 

“ Been there, done that,” Dahyun answered.

 

“ Where could she have gone?” Momo crossed her arms in worry.

 

“ Maybe the cafe across the street?” Jihyo suggested.

 

“ Was just there with Mina,” Nayeon answered.

 

Chaeyoung stood there silently, thinking of the places Tzuyu could be.

 

Chaeyoung already explained to the group what exactly happened after they all scolded her for doing such a thing to Tzuyu. They also misunderstood, but now that everything was straightened out, they needed to pinpoint where Tzuyu was.

 

Then, as if a lightbulb appeared above Chaeyoung’s head, she started running in the direction of the place Tzuyu might be. Even though the chances were slim, she couldn’t think of any other place.

 

Momo was about to follow Chaeyoung but Jeongyeon held her back. Momo looked at everyone confusedly but they all shook their heads with a smile.

 

“ Let them figure this out,” Jeongyeon smiled.

 

“ Maybe they’ll finally be together at the end of the day,” Nayeon smirked as she held Jeongyeon’s hand.

 

-

 

With heavy pants, Chaeyoung silently stood behind the park bench, not yet noticed by Tzuyu. She was relieved to have found her sitting on the bench alone.

 

It was the same park where they met. The same park where they fell for each other. The same park where they realized that they were going to be a big part of each other’s lives.

 

“ Tzuyu...” Chaeyoung muttered.

 

Tzuyu tilted her head a little, but she didn’t turn her head back. She continued to stare the river in front of her, giving Chaeyoung no attention.

 

Chaeyoung took light steps towards the girl but stopped when Tzuyu stood up. Afraid that Tzuyu would run away again, Chaeyoung ran to her and tackled the girl.

 

So there they were, on the grass, with Chaeyoung on top of Tzuyu, making sure that she doesn’t do anything funny.

 

Tzuyu’s eyes were swollen and puffy from all the tears that she shed. It was the first time Chaeyoung had seen such an expression from her muse. It broke Chaeyoung’s heart and she hoped that she would never see Tzuyu in this state ever again. Nonetheless, Chaeyoung was blushing like crazy due to the situation that they were in and the close proximity of Tzuyu’s face.

 

Even when Tzuyu cries, she’s still gorgeous, Chaeyoung thought.

 

On the other hand, Tzuyu couldn’t look at Chaeyoung in the eyes. If she did, she would burst out crying again and she didn’t want Chaeyoung to see an ugly sight. It was bad enough that they weren’t on good terms lately.

 

“ Tzuyu,” Chaeyoung muttered.

 

“ Chaeyoung, get off me,” Tzuyu bit her lip, still not looking at Chaeyoung’s eyes.

 

“ Look at me,” Chaeyoung said.

 

Tzuyu didn’t respond.

 

“ Tzuyu, please look at me,” Chaeyoung pleaded.

 

Tzuyu finally turned her head to meet Chaeyoung’s eyes. She was surprised to see that they were filled with so much worry and concern. The thought of how Chaeyoung must’ve felt when she ran away made her feel bad. Tzuyu was thinking that Chaeyoung must’ve been extremely worried for her.

 

Both said nothing for a few minutes. Only their eyes exchanged words.

 

However, it was at that moment that Chaeyoung finally noticed the familiar look in Tzuyu’s eyes. It was similar to hers and Chaeyoung knew that she didn’t have to ask to confirm it.

 

“ Look at me,” Chaeyoung repeated softly.

 

“ I am,” Tzuyu whispered.

 

Their faces were at such a close distance, that they were able to feel each other’s breaths. Their faces were only a few inches away from each other. And their lips, close enough that if either one of them make a small move, their lips would meet.

 

Tzuyu’s face drove Chaeyoung mad and her shampoo made Chaeyoung dizzy. She just wanted to smash their lips together right then and there. It took all of her just to control herself.

 

“ I want you to look at me the same way you looked at me the first day we met,” Chaeyoung said.

 

“ I am,” Tzuyu replied softly.

 

“ Then why do you look so sad?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

Tzuyu’s eyes slowly started to become glossy again, putting Chaeyoung on the brink of crying also.

 

“ Because I’m afraid that I’ll lose you to someone else,” Tzuyu answered sadly as a tear drops fell her left eye.

 

“ You don’t have to lose me. I can be yours and only yours,” Chaeyoung whispered as she wiped Tzuyu’s tears.

 

“ How do I know you’re saying the truth?” Tzuyu asked as more tears fell.

 

Chaeyoung wiped the tears off of Tzuyu’s cheek with her right hand and smiled.

 

“ Because I only love you,” Chaeyoung whispered as she slowly closed the distance between them.

 

Tzuyu didn’t respond for a few seconds because of the shock. However, she slowly moved her lips in sync with Chaeyoung’s. Both of them shed tears as they kissed, but they weren’t tears of sadness. They were tears of joy.

 

It felt so right to the both of them. The way their lips fit each other’s so perfectly and the way that their lips moved in synchronization.

 

It was like the world around them didn’t exist. As if time just stopped but the only thing that didn’t was the two of them. Nothing else mattered in the moment. Only Chaeyoung and Tzuyu. They only needed each other.

 

Tzuyu cupped Chaeyoung’s cheeks and continued kissing her.

 

She finally got what she’d wanted all these years. The wait was worth it.

 

They slowly broke their kiss to breath. They laughed and pecked each other on the lips one more time.

 

“ I love you, Son Chaeyoung,” Tzuyu smiled.


“ I love you too Chou Tzuyu,” Chaeyoung smiled before going in for another kiss.