One

Don't play with fire

">

"Jennie unnie, it's for you." Rose called from the other room as she flipped the page in her book, hoping to finally finish it after struggling to get around to it for the past two months. The phone starting ringing and Jennie grabbed the land line and held it to her ear as she fiddled with the lighter in her hand. After rolling her eyes she angrily hung it up and heard Rose giggling softly in the other room.

“It was a survey person, you liar.” Jennie clicked the lighter and the small flame flickered to life. She scooped it with her pointer finger where it happily danced on the tip of her finger, leaving a faint tingling sensation. Charging into the other room she planned to light her book on fire but when she entered Rose was levitating against the ceiling, far out of her reach and Jennie wasn’t motivated enough to go up there and get her. Rose stuck her tongue out at her and Jennie snubbed the fire out and stormed off to find their leader.

“Jisoo unnie! Rose is being annoying again.” Jennie called out as she walked into the main hallway of the house. The large doors reached from the floor to almost the ceiling, their rich mahogany was in stark contrast to the crisp and clean modern atmosphere of the rest of the house. Along the hallway there was four doors on their side of the hallway with a large bay window at the end that had sun light streaking inside. Jennie didn’t feel like searching in each room for Jisoo so she walked up to the first door on the left and snapped her fingers before turning the intricately decorated brass doorknob. What normally would have been the study was transformed into the plant nursery where Jisoo and Lisa were sitting around a wilting plant. Once their concentration was broken the plant that seemed to be getting some colour back into its leaves went into a further level of decay.

“Yah~ Lisa was doing really well that time.” Jisoo simultaneously scolded Jennie while also giving their precious maknae a much needed compliment. Lisa gave a weak smile as she grew more and more frustrated in how long it was taking her to gain strength in her powers.

“Sorry but Rose was being dumb and I’m bored.” Jennie came and sat down with them and grasped Jisoo and Lisa’s hand and closed her eyes. “Let’s do this together; I’m rusty with my nature based skills.” Jennie began to hum as if she were in a fake trance. Lisa got annoyed that Jennie wasn’t taking this as seriously as she was and ripped her hand away from her unnie.

“Not in the mood anymore. I’m gonna grab something to eat.” Lisa apologized to Jisoo and walked off towards the kitchen. Jisoo sighed as she watched Lisa leave. She had so much untapped potential that it was sad watching her get so frustrated. If only she believed in herself more than Jisoo knew she could be an incredibly powerful witch.

“Why do you have to be such a jerk sometimes?’ Jisoo stood up and brushed the dirt off of her dress. Jennie rolled her eyes and followed after her leader. “You weren’t as good as her when you first started.” Jisoo pointed out to Jennie and she just nodded along, she knew that she may have been a little too mean to Lisa and didn’t want coven being upset with her. She thought about apologizing but she didn’t want to do it outright so she was thinking about possibly making her dinner. “Dinner would be a good idea. Lisa likes stew.” Jisoo said and laughed when she saw Jennie’s face.

“Unnie! You promised you would stay out of my head!” Jennie covered her ears as if that would stop her thoughts leaking out for Jisoo to search through. When the two girls had first met it was through Jisoo’s ability to read people’s minds. She was able to tell that Jennie was struggling by herself and that she didn’t really understand that she was a gifted witch but instead thought she was a monster; as did the other two until they found the coven.

Lisa was aimlessly walking around the house and froze mid step. She looked up and saw that Rose was still casually levitating in the air while reading her book; she hadn’t even realized that Lisa had walked into the room. She cleared and Rose finally took her gaze away from the book and through her enhanced empathy she could tell that Lisa truly needed a friend at the moment. With grace and elegancy, Rose floating down from the ceiling and landed beside her which made Lisa a little jealous as the multiple times she levitated was during her sleep and usually she would come crashing to the ground as soon as she would wake up.

“Wanna play with tarot cards?” Rose waved her hand over her book with it effortlessly changed into a large pile of tarot cards that had been worn down from use and the simplistic drawings on them were showing the cards age. Lisa remembered once how Rose had said the cards had come from her mother when they used old magic that included the cards and chanting spells from a sacred book. She wondered why, since Rose’s mother was clearly a witch, had she left her and joined their coven instead. Jisoo once mentioned Rose’s mother and quickly apologized but besides that they never talked about it much.

“Sure, can we-“ Lisa stopped as she felt an intimidating force coming from outside of the house. Rose noticed this and was about to ask her what was wrong but she too felt the power. They both cautiously walked to the front door with Lisa clutching onto Rose’s arm a little too tightly but the elder girl wasn’t going to complain since Lisa had been slow to open up to them and especially rely on them for help. The closer they got to the front door they could hear it rattling as if a fierce storm raged on the other side. They tried to get as close as possible but eventually they couldn’t make it any further as the force on the other side of the door was too intimidating.

“Ji-Jisoo…Jennie…” Rose called out as the door was shaking so hard she was afraid it was going to be ripped right off of the house. “JISOO!” Rose screamed and within second Jisoo and Jennie were at their side, also staring at the door.

“I thought no outside magic could come inside the barrier.” Jisoo asked Jennie and the other girl shrugged her shoulders.

“I swear I put the barrier up. I can still feel that it hasn’t been touched.” Jennie was wincing in pain as she could feel the power weighing down on her heart which had always been annoyingly weak from a childhood illness that still plagued her. It was one of the reasons that she was so weak in her magic.

“What if…” Jisoo tentatively took a few steps toward the door as it violently shook and the hinges were on the verge of snapping off. Jennie clutched at her chest as the power was growing stronger and stronger; almost on the verge of passing out Jennie leaned against Lisa who wrapped her arms around the older girl and held her up for support. Jisoo put her hand on the door knob and the shaking stopped; the calm before the storm, they all knew it but they didn’t know what the storm truly was but they knew it was patiently waiting for them on the other side of the door.

“UNNIE! STOP!” Rose called out but it was too late. Jisoo opened the door and their leader went flying backwards passed them and into the wall; the sheer force made the drywall crack and the paintings to fall off of the walls. Rose rushed to her side as Jisoo groaned in pain, crumpled into a ball on the floor. Her bones ached down into the core rendering her useless at the moment. Jennie and Lisa were now the closest to the door and saw the dark figure step forward with his hands casually stuck in his pant pockets. Seeing the man made tears fall down Jennie’s face. She knew exactly who he was, despite his different appearance. It was the devil.

Hello ladies.”