Leave//stay

Leave if you're ready

„Stupid machine, give me my stupid coffee or my money!” Youngjae kicked vending machine. He’s not leaving this airport without a cup of ty coffee. He was after 10 hours of constant fight, was jetlagged as hell and in need of caffeine.

“I should have just ask for one in the plane but nooo… I was too scared that my bladder would be in trouble. Well… now my body is in trouble. God damn it.” He mumbled under his breath. He’s definitely not leaving without coffee.

Anyway this vending machine didn’t seem to be at its highest spirit. It gave out one last splashy sound, its buttons lighted up for the last time and it went dark.

“Perfect, just perfect.” Said Yoo Youngjae and went in a search of next (cheap) coffee point.

 

 

Finally he found a machine which didn’t seem to be broken. It even gave him a cup and started pouring the liquid. Youngjae rested his forehead on the surface of the machine. He was so damn tired. The sound of flowing coffee made him a little bit relaxed. He still had to somehow transfer himself from Incheon to Seoul and he had no clue how to do this. Actually (he was a little bit ashamed of it) it was his first time on Incheon airport.  After leaving Korea almost 5 years ago from airport in Busan, he had never felt desire to come back here. He and his family moved to San Francisco soon after Youngjae has graduated from high school. He even managed to go and finish collage. Math major. He wanted to continue his studies but he felt he couldn’t do that without seeing some world and maybe sorting some things in his head.

Korea was to be his last destination before going back to USA. He didn’t plan to stay here for long. He only wanted to see Seoul once more. Maybe take a glimpse at his old school and some streets he used to hang out at. Nothing more. No meeting with friends. Nothing cliché.

Coffee had apparently finished pouring into his cup. His almost unconsciously landed on the cup to take it out of the machine. Little did he know that this machine was also broken. Hot drink splashed on his hand once again as he was taking out his plastic mug.

“GOD DAMN IT! Is that a sign or what?” the cup left his burned hand and (of course) spilled on his shoes.

“Damn it, damn it, damn it-“ his mantra kept resounding in the air crowded of human voices, tears and thoughts.

“Youngjae? Yoo Youngjae?” silky voice seized Youngjae’s body like an arrow.

He had thought he’d never hear that voice again.

He wished he would never hear that voice again.

He couldn’t move.

Suddenly the airport hall seemed empty and quiet and the liquid on his hand cold as ice.

He felt urge to run away.

Oh God how he wished he didn’t step on Incheon’s airport. Like ever.

A hand touched his shoulder.

He glimpsed at it.

Long, slim golden fingers.

Perfect almond-like shaped nails.

He knew he was doomed. There was no chance of running away.

He slowly turned around.

“Hello Daehyun.” He heard his own voice.

Daehyun was much taller than he remembered. At least half of head taller. And his hair wasn’t chocolate anymore, it was naturally black. He must have grown out of his dying-hair era. His whole face changed a little bit but he still was handsome. Even more handsome than the last time Youngjae has seen his best friend. His perfectly shaped lips of Greek God were a little bit more red and he didn’t hide his beauty mark anymore. Good. Youngjae has always liked that small mole.

He unsurely raised his eyes to Daehyun’s eyes. Still chocolate. Still beautiful. Still too far from his own orbs.

“Hello Youngjae.” Smiled Daehyun showing the row of white teeth.

The awkward silence appeared between these two as Youngjae was staring at the top of his shoes.

“Oh yes! I see you spilled quite a container on yourself! That’s why I noticed you at the first place! You look like you’re after look trip, right? Let me help you!” said Daehyun with a little bit too bright voice.

“No… there’s no need to… I don’t want to bother you…”

“Nonsense. If I’m right your family is still in USA so I assume you have nowhere to stay. Crash at my house at least for this one day.”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea…”

“Nonsense again. It’s great idea, you save money and we’ll get to catch up! Come on!” Before Youngjae could have properly thank and refuse, Daehyun grabbed his suitcase and started walking down the airport, leaving the other no choice but to follow him.

 

Daehyun’s car looked expensive and comfortable. Much more comfortable than sits in cheap airplane which took Youngjae to Korea at the first place. The sits were covered with black leather but didn’t smell like it at all. Whole interior smelt like… Daehyun. Youngjae has remember his scent well. Eau de cologne  mixed with strong coffee. The kind of scent you get addicted to very easily. Like Youngjae did one day. After all these years it still was his favourite smell. He has been looking for the matching perfume for ages, wishing that if he buy one, he’d eventually get sick of it and hate it. He never found bottle of this scent and after taking deep breath he realised that he still cannot hate it.

“Nice car you have here… It must have cost small fortune…” he said after few minute of silence.

“Yeah… It was gift from my hyung.” Replied Daehyun. These simple words kicked Youngjae right in his stomach.

His hyung gave him this damn expensive car.

But as far as he remembered Daehyun didn’t have older brother and was straight… That’s the reason of that mess. Daehyun’s straight. He couldn’t feel to Youngjae, what Youngjae feels for him and that’s why their friendship ended.

Maybe it wasn’t uality… Maybe it was just Youngjae.

“Maybe I wasn’t just good enough.” Youngjae’s mind was in pieces. He would rather never heard that.

“Your hyung? He must be very rich…” Youngjae’s voice was cold and emotionless but Daehyun didn’t seem to notice.

“Yongguk hyung? Yeah he is. He’s an idol after all.”

“So it was me after all…”

“I’m a little bit tired. If you don’t mind I would take a nap…”

“Yeah of course! I’ll wake you up  when it’s time!” said Daehyun and patted Youngjae’s lap.

The other quickly hid his beat red face in the collar of his shirt and fell asleep.

 

“Youngjae… Jae… Jaeeee…” smooth voice tickled Youngjae’s ear. He lazily opened his eyes. Daehyun’s face was inches from his own but just few milliseconds later it painfully moved away.

“We’re here, get out.” grunted Daehyun.

Youngjae glimped at the clock. It was 5pm which means that he had been sleeping for 3 hours straight.  He rubbed his eyes and got out of the car. The car parked on the under-ground parking. There weren’t much cars there and the air was cold and smelt like gasoline.

“You going or nah?” asked Daehyun already standing with Youngjae’s suitcase, ready to lock the car. The other rushed to him, energetically nodding his head.

Now in this almost empty room Daehyun looked like an olimpic god. So much out of nowhere. With beauty nowhere to be found around him. His posture was full of grace. Dark, slim pants were slightly tighting his legs. The white shirt contrasted so beautifully with Daehyun’s sunny skin. His black hair was a little bit ruffled but it was what made him even more surreal. Youngjae felt pathetic running like an idiot in his green (and probably sweaty) t-shirt, with his eyes tired and sleepy (and probably shiny because yeah demi-god in front of him) and heavily breathing.

Without a word Daehyun turned away and gracefully directed his steps to the elevator. Youngjae had no choice but to follow him.

No words were said in the cabin. Youngjae slowly started suspecting that his old friend and love of his life finally came to conclusion that taking the traveller here was one huge mistake. Despite the pain and the awkwardness he was thankful for the time Daehyun scared for him. He could just pretend he didn’t know Youngjae, he would just past knowing that the other didn’t notice him anyway and keep living his Youngjaeless life. He wanted to ask him about this but a big ball in his throat made it impossible. He was forced to be silent and Daehyun didn’t seem to mind it.

From the lightened button in the elevator he knew that they were going on the 8th floor which wasn’t the highest one but it was still quite high. Sadly Youngjae had no idea where exactly the building he’s in is places since he slept over the whole travel here but he didn’t mind it at all. Somehow he trusted that Daehyun wouldn’t just take him to some dangerous place.

The automatic, silver door opened to show long, neat corridor with two pairs of doors. Daehyun automatically directed his steps to the nearer door, leaving Youngjae wondering if and for how much could he rent the other apartment.

Daehyun almost nonchalantly opened the white door before Youngjae.

“Please come in friend.”

“Don’t mock me.” Snapped the other.

“I’m not.” Daehyun’s eyes opened widely as he raised his hands in a defensive way.

Youngjae reluctantly entered the apartment. Inside it didn’t look as expensive as he thought it would look. The indoor was neat and clean but it definitely wasn’t a place Daehyun’s Hyung has founded. Youngjae sighed with relief. Deep down he was scared that Daehyun wasn’t leaving alone and meeting that generous Hyung would be just too much for Youngjae’s poor heart.

“I have to make a call, please sit here. I’ll be back in a minute and I’ll give you something to eat.” Said Daehyun pointing on the small, beige sofa and disappeared behind the glass door leading on the balcony.

Youngjae stiffly sat on the couch. It was quite comfortable. We looked around himself once more. He couldn’t believe he was in Jung Daehyun’s apartment. His old friend and crush apartment. Everything here was Daehyun’s and Youngjae felt as if he won the lottery. From the other hand he couldn’t remember the last time he was so stressed. One bad move and everything would end up like 5 years ago…

 

5 years earlier

It was rainy afternoon and Youngjae and Daehyun were casually sitting on the first one’s bed. Youngjae was scanning some magazines in search of soccer news and Daehyun was smoking his cigarette. The younger boy didn’t approved that habit but he still found the image of smoking friend hot so he didn’t really have much objections (cruel of him).

“Hey Dae, what would you do if a male told you that he likes you?” asked Youngjae almost carelessly still skimming over the magazine. Daehyun started coughing uncontrollably.

“What?” he squealed “Do you know some man who has a crush on me?” he managed to cough out of himself.

Youngjae put down the magazine, leaving it opened on the column with relationship advices.

“No, not really.” Nope, that definitely wasn’t a blush on Youngjae’s cheeks ”I was just wondering. Curiosity.”

Daehyun got up, opened his window and sat on the sill. His tanned arms rested on his knees as he curled next to the wall.

“Well… I guess I would thank that person for the feelings but kindly explained that I’m not interested. I may be a brat but I respect other people’s feelings.” He let a cloud of smoke out of his lips “And you?”

Youngjae blushed and rolled through his bed.

“No one has ever had crush on me and I suppose that no one will ever have.” He chuckled lightly.

“Nonsense. Everybody loves you Jae. You’re too cute not to be loved.”

Youngjae gulped.

“You love me too?”

“Of course I do Jae.” Daehyun smiled brightly and threw his cigarette out of the window.

“Good because I love you so ing much, Daehyun.”

 

 

Youngjae was fiddling with his bracelet not sure where to place his eyes. From time to time he was peeking at the balcony. Daehyun was laughing to his phone, leaning on the balustrade with a cigarette between his fingers. He looked so good Youngjae wished that he had never stop talking. It was enough for him. Just observing every Daehyun’s move from far away. He avoided every single information about the other for 5 years straight. Maybe that’s what made him so thirsty of that voice, that laugh, that look and that character.

Daehyun bright fully smiled looking at the panorama of the city. Youngjae felt a thorn of jealousy. He had no idea with who the other was talking but he knew that he wished it was him. If he didn’t confess back then, he could still be the closest person to Daehyun. But that was a must, he couldn’t just keep it in himself. They were best friends after all.

His eyes landed back on the glass coffee-table. Some faces from glossy magazines were smiling to him. Most of them were males. He hated them for smiling at Daehyun from the paper. For looking at him as he watched tv. He wanted to be a piece of paper under that table.

“Yeah, see you soon… Yeah I’ll call you… Me too… Yeah, bye…” he heard from the side of balcony.

“You still didn’t give up on smoking, huh?” asked Youngjae staring into nowhere.

“Yeah… not really. I tried but I lost my motivation.” Sighed Daehyun and passed the sofa to disappear behind fridge’s door.

“I remember you trying to give up! You don’t have to remind me.” Giggled Youngjae. He was always supporting the idea of Daehyun getting rid of that terrible habit but... it was still big turn on.

“I don’t indeed… I hope that you don’t mind spaghetti because that’s really all I can cook today…”

Youngjae shrugged. He could eat anything as long as it was prepared by Daehyun. He moved himself from the sofa to one of the stalls standing next to the counter.

Seeing that Daehyun opened a bottle of vine and poured a little bit to fancy-looking glasses.

“Here. Something to avoid boredom.” He said passing the glass to Youngjae and winked.

“Death has never looked so y I swear to God, he’s getting hotter by age.” Didn’t passed Youngjae’s mind.

After few sips both tongues loosened up and boys started chatting like during old good times. Youngjae was doing his best not to stare at Daehyun’s face so he was watching his skilful fingers cutting and preparing dinner. The talk was smooth as his moves. Both of them knowing every corner of the other’s personality. The both were content to find out that none of them didn’t change much. Daehyun had been laughing more than he assumed he will and Youngjae found himself quite comfortable as long as his head wasn’t serving him the vision of their last meeting which (luckily) didn’t happen much often. But the time pasta was ready it was completely dark outside. Even though Youngjae knew that Daehyun was talented with cooking he didn’t expect him to get even better.

“Your cooking skills are like vine, they get better as you grow old.” He laughed playing with noodles on his fork.

“Well… Yongguk hyung actually at cooking so I had to learn to create something eatable in short period of time!” Daehyun replied also laughing. He poured another portion of vine to Youngjae’s glass. The other almost immediately took a sip.

“That Yongguk hyung… How long have you been knowing him…?”

About 2 or 3 years… I was in the middle of my studies when he asked me to work with him. Back then he wasn’t popular at all! So he didn’t have money to hire some professional manager. And for me it was just an easy way to earn some money. I promised myself that I’d leave if iI’d be bored but eventually I gave up on my studies… This job is literally the best thing that has happened to me.”

“Aich! What about me?” asked Youngjae playfully and glimpsed at Daehyun.

Was that a spark of fear in his eyes?

“Of course after today! Today’s the best day of my life!” smiled Daehyun and embraced Youngjae with his hand. Since they both finished eating, they moved back on the sofa. With new bottle of vine.

After few another sips of the liquid Youngjae dared to ask another question.

“So what exactly are you two doing?”

“As a work? He’s a full-time idol and I’m kinda his manager! Haven’t you heard about rapper Bang Yongguk?” Daehyun raised his eyebrow.

Youngjae denied.

“Well… after all you weren’t in Korea during that time he raised to fame… Anyway his name here is quite famous… Oh look… There he is!” Daehyun leaned and handed Youngjae one of the glossy magazines he had seen before. A man on the cover had sharp but very handsome face. Slight sly smile was hiding in the corners of his lips. His hair were dyed blonde and tied with a scarf. Tank top he was wearing was revealing strong, well-built arms. Youngjae had to admit that he had no question about how did he made it up to the top.

“Nice… Is he demanding boss?”

“Boss?” Daehyun laughed again and something in Youngjae died again “He has never been a boss to me. Just my lovely hyung. The most caring person on this world…”

Youngjae gulped. He needed to know it here and now.

“Who is he for you?”

Daehyun crooked his head, his eyes meeting Youngjae’s orbs which caused him blushing and turn his head again.

“Friend. Close friend. Don’t ask questions like because I may think you still have feeling for me Youngjae…”

The way he said the last words made Youngjae’s eyes wet. He didn’t want to continue this conversation. He should have say something cheesy or jokey and just leave the subject but…

“Who said I’m over you…” he whispered more to himself than to his old friend.

He heard a loud gasp.

The fancy glass landed on the glass table.

The sound it made was almost unbearable to Youngjae’s ears.

It was the sound of his heart breaking down once more.

“It’s been 5 ing year Youngjae…” started Daehyun and sighed “I thought you’re over… If I knew…”

“You’d never approached me at the airport. Yeah, I suspected that. That’s why I didn’t say a word at the beginning. I selfishly wanted to spend at least 5 more minutes with you.” Hot tears were strolling down his face.

Just like the last time.

He sobbed.

“I thought that it was my worst nightmare and the greatest miracle when I heard you saying my name. Damn it Daehyun I almost cried down!” he shouted last words and faced his friend again. He didn’t expect the other to be so close. Daehyun’s chocolate orbs were staring right in Youngjae’s soul.

“You’re only saying this because you’re drunk…” sighed Daehyun which led to another wave of tears pouring out of Youngjae’s eyes.

“Nooo…  no no no no no no. Please.” Youngjae grabbed Daehyun sleeve “At least please believe me.” He tightened grip on the white shirt. His palms were almost white from the amount of power he’d been putting into the move. Even though he tried his best Daehyun still effortlessly managed to take Youngjae’s hands off himself. He grip melted as Youngjae felt Daehyun’s hands on his’. It was like a dream. He had dreams like these but sometimes they even had good ending which wasn’t likely in this case.

“You’re drunk and you can’t see the consequences of what you’re saying here to me. Much likely tomorrow morning this evening will be blurry for you and probably you won’t know what were we talking about.” Cut Daehyun.

“No! You’re wrong! Please don’t do this the same way… I… I understand that you don’t want me. And that you never did. And I’m okay with that  but please at least believe me.”

Daehyun sighed again. His forehead was ripply as if he was thinking about something. Youngjae watched him with fear in his eyes. He knew that these are probably the last moments of them being together.

“Let’s do this once more, Yoo Youngjae.” Daehyun’s normally soft voice, was hard like steel “If you say that you’re telling me the truth and you’re ready to face the consequences then stay. But if you want us to see each other again you have to leave now. Leave if you’re ready to give up on the nonsense you’re talking about. I know I’m important to you Jae… I just can’t be sure in which way…”

“I’m supposed to leave if I’m ready…” Youngjae chocked on the last words.

 

 

5 years earlier

“You can’t be serious Yoo Youngjae.” Laughed Daehyun nervously.

“I am.” Said Youngjae, his eyes staring directly into Daehyun’s. “I seriously am Daehyun. I ing love you. You’re my crush since I can remember. I ing love your face, I adore your personality and-“

“Stop that!” shouted Daehyun “I see that you’re serious here. Just stop saying these… things. That’s just weird.”

Youngjae’s eyes filled with tears. He could hear the contempt in Daehyun’s honey-like voice. His eyes were angrily looking at Youngjae. They spent few minutes staring at each other. Youngjae trying to hide water in his eyes, Daehyun trying to sort things in his mind.

“You dropped a ing bomb on me Jae!” he laughed again “But… If it’s so then I guess we can’t… coexist on the same level now…” his voice dropped a few octaves and got slightly sadder “I think I have to leave… Like now. And don’t come back here for some time… This is too much Jae…” at this point he was avoiding Youngjae’s eyes staring at him with disbelief.

“fcuk, no that’s not how it supposed to be don’t do this Dae…”

“But… you can just ignore this… thing… If that’s easier for you.. Don’t worry about this.” Whispered Youngjae crying and grabbed Daehyun’s hand. The other quickly took it away.

“It’s not something that I can just ing ignore Youngjae!” he shouted again.

"Yeah??? Then… then… then just… Then! If you are ready to leave your best friend because of such a trivial reason then go ahead! Doors are this way!" shouted Youngjae, hot tears running down his face.

"I'm more than ready Yoo Youngjae." whispered Daehyun and turned away.

 

Youngjae watched the latter as he was coming nearer and nearer the door. He wanted to stop him. Grab his hand and apologize. Erease the memories he has just created. But he couldn't. And deep down inside he knew that even if this situation didn't occur he wouldn't be able to hide that much longer.

Daehyun's slim tanned hand rested on the handle.

"It didn't have to be like this Jae..." he said with his eyes closed.

"Yeah... Actually it kinda had to..." he whispered and new wave of tears poured from his eyes.

 

 

“So now I’m the one who has to leave? The reason is still the same though.” Youngjae laughed in hoarse voice.

Daehyun remained silent. His orbs were slightly watery but Youngjae didn’t pay attention to this. He didn’t know if he’s more annoyed, hurt and angry. He wanted to cry and shout at once. And hit Daehyun for… he didn’t really know for what. For not loving him? For letting him go? For leaving him? For what?

With tears rolling down Youngjae’s face he got up of the sofa.

“Thanks for having me here.” He said emotionlessly with blank eyes. Daehyun didn’t observe him as the doors closted behind the petite black-haired figure of his old friend. Only then he let his tears roll down. His cry was soundless but maybe because of that filled with all the emotions he kept bottled inside for so long.

“God…” he whispered “What have I done?”

He almost jumped off the sofa and ran to the front door like his whole life would depend from that. He literally kicked the door and screamed with all his heart:

“JAE! YOO YOUNGJAE!”

You can imagine who surprised he was to see quite shocked face of Yoo Youngjae few centimetrs apart from his own.

“Sorry…” mumbled Youngjae “I forgot my bad… I swear that you’ll never see me again.” His eys were still puffed and the tears which dried just a few minutes ago left visible small rivers cutting across his slightly pink cheeks.

Daehyun at first didn’t know what to do but his body was moving unconsciously.

Youngjae closed his eyes waiting for the worst to come.

Instead of screaming and acts of violence though he find himself… being tightly hugged by Daehyun.

His strong hands were gripping to t-shirt on his back and the head of the other was resting on his shoulder.

Terrified Youngjae was scared to move in fear that one bad move can destroy the moment he has been dreaming of for years. The hands slowly let go of his shirt.

“Sorry about this…” said Daehyun shyly.

“No, it’s…” Started Youngjae but didn’t get to finished the sentence as Daehyun (yeah Jung Daehyun the one and only) closed to distance which was between the lips of these two and slowly kissed shorter boy.

Youngjae’s lips (in the contrast to rest of his body) moved smoothly feeling the nice pressure coming from Daehyun. He shyly wrapped his arms around the latter’s wrist and let himself drown in the kiss. His mind was blank and numb. This was the first time since at least 5 years when he felt so light and fluffy. Daehyun’s lips were so much better than he had imagined them to be. Softer, smoother, moving in a perfect synchrony with his own heartbeat. The kiss was surprisingly a little bit wet as Daehyun’s eyes were constantly producing more and more tears but that what made the whole act more sweet and savoury.

Finally Daehyun plastered off Youngjae’s face. His face looked utterly happily. Definitely not something Youngjae has expected.

“What-“ he tried to say something but at the same time he couldn’t form any words.

“For all these years I was regretting leaving your room then. When you said you still love me… I thought it was a dream. But I was scared. Scared that you saw in my eyes today that I like you and that you wanted a cruel revenge for what I did back then.” He touched Youngjae’s forehead with his “I was wrong. Or at least I hope I am wrong… I love you so much Jae… Please… Could you stay with me this time.” Another tear appeared in his chocolate eyes.

“I will. As long as you want.” Whispered Youngjae and rested his head on Daehyun’s shoulder.

“And please believe me… I love you. I love you from the bottom of my heart Daehyun.”

“I believe you.”

 

N/A

I just couldn't wait to post this guys!

I hope you like it and that I didn't screw this up!

It was aiming for some fluff but ofc it turned out to be quite angsty!

Anyway, please leaving your thoughts down below (aka comments are nice) and upvote if you like it!

Also don't forget to check my other daejae: Unbreakable

Thank you for your time

Checlie