..........

Mr. Shy & I

A/N: So the bad news is I woke up with a terrible stomache today and couldn't get out of bed. The good news is, I wrote this fluffy Markjin one shot while I was lazing around, and I'm not even going to hold it hostage for a few weeks. I hope you enjoy <3

 

You're pathetic, Jinyoung's inner Jaebum was telling him. If your fans knew you were this crazy, every single one of them would dump you for me and never look back. You're lucky they think you're some kind of perfect prince and don't know the real you.

 

Good thing the inner Jaebum was as easy to ignore as the real one. Jinyoung adjusted his face mask and sunglasses and continued inconspicuously “reading” a magazine in the corner while the customers streamed in to celebrate the launch of the new JJ Project merch line. No one was at all aware that one of the members of said JJ Project was just a little bit away, surveying their purchases behind the safety of his sunglasses to make sure that his sales weren't lagging too far behind Jaebum's like they had last quarter.

 

It was a matter of pride for him. He knew Jaebum was handsome and talented and all that, but he didn't want to think he was lacking in comparison when he was pretty sure he was just as handsome and talented. He didn't have the cool and chic act down, especially since he didn't think it suited him in the slightest, but he knew he had other charms, which he'd done his best to market recently. He thought the gap between them had closed a little, but he wanted to make sure. And perhaps overhear a few of his fans confirming his charms as they talked among themselves, saying things like “Jinyoung is just about so flawless I could die.”

 

His sales from the morning had been so good that Jinyoung was ready to call it a day and go home, trusting in his merch to keep selling at a steady rate throughout the day. But just as he was about to set the magazine back into the rack and slip out of the excitedly chattering crowd, a familiar fan walked through the door. JJ Project had been around long enough for both Jinyoung and Jaebum to be familiar with their more dedicated fans, the ones who went to all their events and fan signs and concerts and even the airport during their back-and-forth trips to Japan. This fan was an unusual subset of that sect of JJ devotees. For one, it was guy. And not only was he a rare male fan, but he was also regularly at the front row of all the concerts and always managed to get tickets for their fan signs. But no matter how often they saw him, they didn't know all that much about him. He was timid during the fan signs, and usually just mumbled about how they'd done a good job at their concert as they signed his CDs. He never even gave them a name to sign—they both just referred to him as Mr. Shy.

 

One thing about Mr. Shy, though, was that he was handsome. And not just the regular, commonplace handsomeness. He was like a living fairy with his small face and delicate features. A lot of JJ Project's female fans were also fans of Mr. Shy and tried to flirt with him after the shows, but he had as little to say to them as he did to do Jinyoung and Jaebum. He'd just duck his head and mumble at them until they went away.

 

Jinyoung was curious about him. He had no idea why Mr. Shy was so interested in JJ Project, or even which member in particular he was interested in. Jaebum thought it was Jinyoung, since Jinyoung tended to attract that type more than he did, but there was no way to be sure. Jinyoung secretly hoped he was right. No matter how you looked at it, it would be incredibly nice to have some kind of ethereal looking hottie after him, especially since Mr. Shy seemed really awkward and endearing and sweet at the same time. Something about him triggered Jinyoung's very strong protective instincts, and every time he showed up to see JJ Project, Jinyoung felt an irresistible urge to his cheek and tell him it was OK to be shy, but he'd just love it so much if he had the courage to talk to him a little.

 

And now here was his big opportunity to figure out if Mr. Shy was as into him as he secretly hoped. He leaned forward eagerly as Mr. Shy hit the first display of items, which included individual support fans, photosets, and keychains. Come on, grab those Jinyoung ones, I look amazing in them, Jinyoung silently coached him. But Mr. Shy barely spared them a single glance before reaching over to grab Jaebum's fan and toss it into his shopping basket. He also grabbed Jaebum's photoset and key chain before going over to the next aisle to snatch a Jaebum body pillow and wall scroll.

 

Jinyoung was easily offended, but this was still the most offended he'd felt in his life. How dare Mr. Shy have the audacity to buy only Jaebum products in front of him? This whole time, had he been supporting JJ Project for Jaebum only? And what exactly had Jaebum done to warrant having such an attractive fan anyways? Someone so aloof as Jaebum would never suit someone who deserved to be cared for and treasured like timid Mr. Shy.

 

Before Jinyoung knew what he was doing, he was half way across the room, snatching the Jaebum body pillow from Mr. Shy's hands. “What are you doing?” he snapped, completely forgetting to be gentle, lovable JJ Project-Jinyoung in the process.

 

“Hey, I was going to buy that!” Mr. Shy protested. It was the first time Jinyoung had heard him not mumble something, which annoyed him since it was in protest for his precious Jaebum merch.

 

“You don't need this,” Jinyoung said stubbornly. “You don't need any of that.”

 

“Um, yes I do.”

 

“Look, no one needs a freaking body pillow of Im Jaebum. It's the definition of frivolous.”

 

“Then go and take everyone's pillows, not just mine.” Mr. Shy snatched the pillow back. “What's your problem?”

 

“OK, fine, get Jaebum's pillow. But if you're going to go that far, couldn't you at least get Jinyoung's pillow, too?”

 

Mr. Shy turned a little red. “How is it your business which member I'm buying right now?”

 

“How is it my business?” Jinyoung ripped off his sunglasses and face mask without thinking. “How is it not my business? JJ Project is literally my business.”

 

“P-P-Park Jinyoung?!?” Mr. Shy stammered, his face turning even redder. “Oh my god.”

 

“JINYOUNG?” one of the girls in the crowd screamed. All eyes in the shop turned to them, several additional shrieks being released one by one.

 

, Jinyoung thought to himself. He'd completely forgotten where they were, and now he was going to get swamped with adoring fans. As a reflex, he snatched the shopping basket out of Mr. Shy's hand and tossed it into the path of the incoming fans, grabbed Mr. Shy, and made a break for the door as fast as he could, running out of the shop and through the mall with his (Jaebum's?) still in shock admirer with him.

 

He finally made it to the CD store on the other side of the mall where he and Jaebum would be performing later in the evening, flashed his ID to the bewildered staff who weren't expecting him so early, and ducked into the private room for artists to use to prep for their stage, shoving Mr. Shy into the nearby armchair as he caught his breath.

 

“Ummm...” Mr. Shy mumbled, still staring at Jinyoung in utter shock. “W-why...why did you bring me with you?”

 

“Because someone needs to inform you, politely, to your face that you have horrible taste in men,” Jinyoung said, putting his hands on his knees as he tried to get some of his composure back. Yeah, you are a Grade A idiot, inner Jaebum taunted him. What do you event think you're doing right now?

 

“He's your groupmate,” Mr. Shy said. “Don't you think that's a little harsh?”

 

“He'll live,” Jinyoung retorted. “Seriously, how do you think it would feel to see a fan outright ignoring your quality merch in favor for only buying that guy's merch instead? Don't you like both of us, or were you only faking being flustered in front of me, too?”

 

“I do like both of you,” Mr. Shy insisted. “I wasn't trying to offend you or anything. I didn't even realize you were there.

 

“So if you had known, you would have bought my stuff to flatter me, but otherwise no? I didn't think you were that kind of fan, Mr. Shy.”

 

“Mr. Shy?”

 

“You've never told us your name, so we've had to get creative.”

 

Mr. Shy shifted in his seat. “It's...it's Mark.”

 

“You know, you could've just told us that ages ago, Mark.”

 

Immediately Mark clapped a hand over his face to hide his flustered expression.

 

Jinyoung blinked. “Um... did I say something...?”

 

“Someone in JJ Project just said my name,” Mark whispered in awe. “Oh my god.”

 

Wow, Jinyoung thought to himself. This guy is legit. No way am I letting Jaebum getting his hooks into him over me.

 

“I would have been happy to say your name as often as you wanted,” Jinyoung said firmly. “Jaebum, too, if your heart could have taken your beloved saying it to your face.”

 

“Um, you really don't need to call Jaebum-ssi like that.”

 

“Hmph.” Jinyoung studied him, quite enjoying having such a pretty face somewhat at his mercy. “Are you coming to the promotional event here tonight?”

 

“Yeah, of course.”

 

“Let me see your ticket.”

 

Mark dutifully took it out of his pocket and handed it to Jinyoung. Jinyoung promptly ripped it into pieces and scattered them on the floor.

 

Mark looked like someone had shot a puppy in front of him. “NO! Why did you do that? Those were so hard to get!”

 

“Because I'm planning to make it up to you.” Jinyoung folded his arms across his chest. “You need to be cured of your thing for Jaebum, so I can't just let you keep going to our events and being seduced by him.”

 

Mark gave him a dismayed look. “So it's true, then. The rumors about you and him being an item? Is that why don't want me to get close to him?”

 

Jinyoung looked appalled. “NO! God, no, no, no, no, no. NO.”

 

“Then why?”

 

“Would you believe it if I said you were completely my type, and I would appreciate it if you favored the best member of JJ Project for a change?”

 

Mark looked dumbfounded. “No, I wouldn't believe you. Because you said in K-STAR issue 68 on page 53 that your ideal type is a girl who is confident and self-assured, and that doesn't sound like me at all.”

 

Jinyoung sighed. “Listen, Mark. I get asked that question, what, about once a week? It's a throw out. Most of my fans are young girls, and I think it would be great if they could be inspired to be more confident, so I give that answer for them. The person I fall in love with can have whatever level of confidence they can manage. What matters is that I love them.”

 

“Oh...” Mark stared down at his feet. “How do you plan to get me to change my mind about Jaebum, then?”

 

“To make up for you missing the fan meet, I'll take you out to dinner tonight. My treat.”

 

“One-on-one?”

 

“Of course I'm not going to invite Jaebum over and let you fawn over him all evening. This is supposed to be the opposite of that.”

 

“A JJ Project member would go to dinner one-on-one...with me?”

 

“Yes, this one would.” He paused. “On one condition, of course. No more JJ Project events for you until you get over him.”

 

“Oh.” Mark's face fell a little. “But I really don't want to miss the concert-”

 

“There will be other concerts. Besides, in place of missing one silly concert, you can go out with me when you're available. A member of JJ Project. The best member of JJ Project. Think you can live with that for awhile, Mark?"

 

Mark thought about it for a minute. “OK. I'll go with you. But...”

 

“But?”

 

“Can I at least go back and get that merch I was going to buy?”

 

I'm going to eliminate Jaebum and his unworthy existence, Jinyoung thought to himself. “Hell no. If I see you leave this building with something that isn't a Jinyoung body pillow, it's going straight into the dumpster.”

 


 

Inner Jaebum was currently giving him hell over how petty and ridiculously stupid this whole situation was, but Jinyoung found himself caring less than he even normally did about Jaebum's monologues. Mark had come to dinner in nice dress clothes, smelling sweetly of aftershave, and was practically dripping with adorable awkwardness, barely even able to meet Jinyoung's eye as they sat down and ordered drinks. Jinyoung may not have been the member Mark had a crush on, but his reverence for JJ Project as a whole was still winning out.

 

“So tell me,” Jinyoung said. “What exactly is so great about Jaebum?”

 

“He's just so cool, isn't he? I thought everyone knew that.”

 

“You're talking to someone who has witnessed him reading bedtime stories to his cats.”

 

“His dancing is just so amazing to watch, and he's got a seriously beautiful voice. And his presence in person is so overwhelming...” Mark chanced a glance up at Jinyoung. “You're impressive, too, you know. In so many ways.”

 

“Kind of you to say, finally,” Jinyoung said sarcastically. “Forget Jaebum for a minute. I get that you're shy when you're approaching us, and it's hard to talk. But what did you really want to say to me during all those fan signs when you said absolutely nothing?”

 

“To you?” Mark bit his lips. “Just that I really admire you and your music keeps me going every day. When I listen to JJ Project, my mood just goes way up, and I feel happier and brighter than I did before. And as for you... thank you for always showing a happy face when you perform. When you smile, I want to smile, too.”

 

Jinyoung's heart fluttered. God, this guy is good, he thought. He'd always had the feeling someone amazing and sweet lingered inside Mr. Shy's withdrawn demeanor, and he was so happy to be right. Before he knew what was happening, he was reaching out, doing the thing he'd always wanted to do. “It's OK to be shy,” he said, the skin of Mark's cheek with his thumb. “But I hope you'll always be confident enough to tell me anything you want in the future. I'm happy to hear you think so much of me.”

 

Mark, naturally, turned red and looked like he was going to pass out. “A...member...of JJ Project...is...” He could barely get the words out.

 

Jinyoung laughed a little. “In my heart, I'm just a regular guy. Can't you think of me like that?”

 

“I...I don't know.”

 

“Well, I'm definitely not thinking of you as just a fan right now.”

 

“You're very forward,” Mark said bluntly.”I wasn't expecting that.”

 

“Do you not like it?”

 

“No. Actually...it's nice. I guess I've always thought of you as a prince, the kind of person who'd win someone over slowly and be all...charming all the time. But actually, the way you are now...it's still kind of charming.” Mark smiled a little, as if to himself. “I think it's kind of exciting that I don't actually know everything about you.”

 

Now it was Jinyoung's turn to get flustered. “Exciting?”

 

“I mean, I've read all your interviews and watched all your shows, so I felt like a JJ expert before. If someone asked me about Park Jinyoung, I could probably list almost everything you've ever said. But it's really cool that there's a lot left to learn.”

 

“I feel the same, but a little different,” Jinyoung said. “I know next to nothing about you, and I'm excited to find out where I should start figuring you out. How did you become a JJ fan, anyways?”

 

“Ah, that was my sister. She's followed you guys since debut, and after watching one of your varieties, I guess you could say I got hooked.”

 

“Your favorite song?”

 

“Right now? It's 'Mayday'.”

 

Jinyoung beamed. “That's my solo!”

 

“Yeah, I think you're a really talented songwriter. I hope you're planning to write more in the future.”

 

“I do want to. That's up to the agency to decide though.”

 

“If your PD doesn't let you compose on the next album, I'll start a petition, I promise.”

 

“That's really sweet of you. Hey, can you tell me a little bit about what you do outside of going to JJ shows? Are you in school?”

 

As they waited for their dinner to arrive, they filled the minutes with small talk, fleshing each other out. Jinyoung found himself becoming more charmed by the moment. Not only was Mark handsome, but he was intelligent and diligent as well, and though he was soft spoken, everything he did have to say was incredibly interesting. Jinyoung couldn't be sure if he was coming close to outranking Jaebum in Mark's opinion yet, but he could definitely sense Mark warming up to him as the night wore on, becoming more comfortable the more they talked.

 

They stayed in the restaurant chatting, well after they finished their dinner. In fact, the waitstaff had to politely kick them out when it reached closing time, though Jinyoung felt they still so had much left to say to each other.

 

“So, we're meeting again, right?” Mark asked as they walked outside. “That's part of the deal?”

 

“Yeah,” Jinyoung said. “That is, if you haven't changed your mind. I know you're still a bit upset about the idea of missing the concert and seeing Jaebum again.”

 

“It's OK,” Mark said. “I understand why you're doing this. You're an important member of JJ Project, too, after all, and you should be appreciated for that.”

 

Or, I could be trying to get you to replace your crush on Mr. Crazy Cat Man and shift it to me instead, but OK, Jinyoung thought. He just wanted the chance to see Mark again, and to sway his heart. “So...I'll see you again soon?”

 

“Yeah. See you soon, Park Jinyoung-ssi.”

 

“Just Jinyoung, please. We're not idol and fan here. We're just you and me.”

 


 

“You seem in a freaky good mood,” Jaebum commented during their tour rehearsals. “Did the supermarket have a sale, or did you find a good pair of hideous pants when you were shopping the other day?”

 

Jinyoung swatted him with his hand. “You know Mr. Shy?” he asked.

 

“Yeah. Where has he been recently? Our females fans have been missing him.”

 

“I may have...been taking him out on a few dates.”

 

Jaebum whistled. “Wow, straight laced Jinyoung breaking a dating ban like it's nothing. What happened to you?”

 

“The thing is, they're not 'date-dates' for him. He's your hardcore fan, not mine.”

 

Jaebum lifted an eyebrow. “Huh.”

 

“So I'm trying to get him to see the light.”

 

“Normally I'd be ticked about this or make fun of you, but I've got enough drama to deal with without worrying about another male fan. Did you see what happened at the last fan meet?”

 

“No?”

 

“You know Youngjae, right, the other male fan who always comes to our shows?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Also my fan. And then another one, Jackson, flew in from Hong Kong to come to the last fan meet, and they got into this competition about who could give me the best fan gift. Jackson says he's going to commission a portrait of me, and Youngjae's trying to convince me that he's going to get me a pet cheetah soon.”

 

“What on earth do you do to get people so obsessed with you?”

 

“Dunno, but if I did, I wouldn't tell you. You'd just steal my ideas.” He stretched out his limbs, readying himself for another round of dance practice. “Well, good luck competing with me for this guy's heart, I guess. It'll be hard, but I'm sure you'll do your best.”

 

“Gee, thanks.”

 

“But I'm a little surprised that guy was my fan all this time. I could have sworn he was staring at you for most of our concerts.”

 

“Maybe. But I literally caught him trying to buy a Jaebum body pillow, plus your entire fan support set.”

 

“Such good taste. Guess he was just afraid to show me his real heart. It's kind of cute, now that I think of it.”

 

“Jaebum?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Back. Off.”

 


 

They'd been on a few 'dates' at this point, but something about this one felt different. Maybe because they were entirely alone and the area around them was silent. Mark had told him that he had enjoyed going on nature walks, so they'd started off at a patch of woods which was apparently nearby Mark's apartment, and were now taking a leisurely stroll through the rustling trees, talking to each other quietly as they went. The air was fresh and the temperature perfectly warm. The only way it could get any better was if Mark decided to hold his hand as they walked.

 

“So, it's been almost a month now,” Jinyoung said. “How badly do you miss JJ Project?”

 

“I can still watch your things online, you know.”

 

“I'm sure it's not the same thing as getting to see Jaebum in person.”

 

“I still get to see you.” Mark paused. “You know... that Jaebum merch you wouldn't let me buy...”

 

“Still mad about that?”

 

“No, it's just...it was...” He shook his head. “Actually, it's not important. I just want to say, I hope your feelings weren't that hurt. I'm a fan of JJ Project because of both of you.”

 

“As an artist, I'm glad to hear that.”

 

“And as just Jinyoung...?”

 

“Just Jinyoung would honestly like you to be a fan of JJ Project 80% because of me and only 20% because of Jaebum.” He smiled softly. “I'm trying not to get greedy, but actually I wouldn't mind if you loved the group 100% because of me.”

 

“Yeah, real Jinyoung does seem a little bit greedy.”

 

“Does that bother you?”

 

“I'm not a fan just to get bothered by who you really are. I'm not as weak as that. Just-Jinyoung is even better than JJ Project-Jinyoung in my eyes.”

 

Jinyoung felt like his heart would slam out of his chest. I really like you, and you're just making me fall even harder, he wanted to say, but he didn't want to scare Mark off at the same time.

 

“I still remember the first time I went to your concert,” Mark said as they walked. “I went because of my sister, but it was so much fun for me. You two were just so bright and energetic, and you just got such a special look in your eyes when you looked out into the crowd. Sometimes it felt like your eyes—both yours and Jaebum's, I guess—were looking right at me, and I felt so strong in those moments. Like I'm somebody special.”

 

“You are.”

 

“But it's nice to believe in it more from time to time. Anyways, you've always been really impressive to me. Like the brightest star in the night.”

 

“Twin stars, like Gemini? Me and Jaebum?”

 

“Um, well, the brightest star that's not the sun is Sirius, and that's not exactly a twin star.” He sighed. “Anyways, that was just my impression of you then. Right now... you might become the brightest star in the day, too. Do you remember when you first noticed me, by the way? It might be harder for you to remember.”

 

“Actually, it's quite easy. Jaebum and I only have a handful of male fans, so you stick out, especially with that face of yours. I don't know if I saw you the first time you came to our concert, but I definitely remember seeing you for the first time at a concert. Whichever one it was, I just remember thinking that it was so nice that a handsome guy like you had come to see us. I wanted to be as cool as someone like you would think I was.”

 

“You didn't have to try. I think you already are.”

 

Jinyoung's heart throbbed again. “Mark...” He took two quick steps forward and swerved his body in front of Mark's stopping him in his tracks. “You said you didn't mind when I was straightforward.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“So let me be straightforward again. I like you so much. More than like, at this point. So could you tell me honestly, right now? Have you started to think of me even a little more than Jaebum? Do I have even the slightest chance here?”

 

Mark's mouth fell open. Jinyoung couldn't tell if he was shocked or at a loss for what to say or both. He wished he could pull inside Mark's heart and dig out the answer, if Mark was too afraid to tell him.

 

“Jinyoung,” Mark said quietly. “I-”

 

He never got to finish. It was in the way he said Jinyoung, so soft and sweetly, so intimately as he'd never done before when he'd just said 'Jinyoung-ssi' or 'JJ Project Jinyoung' or even 'Just Jinyoung.' The sound of his name was so beautiful like that that Jinyoung could completely understand why it had flustered Mark when Jinyoung had said his own name for the first time. It was such an intoxicating, happy feeling, that before he could stop himself, he was leaning in to kiss Mark's lips, and take in some of the sweetness lingering on them from when he'd said his name.

 

He was soft. So soft that it quickly became a yielding kiss without much resistance, though there was clearly some shock. Mark caved in to him, hands reaching hesitantly for some spot or another, eyelids fluttering closed. The world was quiet around them, but Jinyoung's body wasn't. His heart was making an almighty racket, a practical roar of satisfaction, and Mark made a soft murmur into their kiss, which reverberated through Jinyoung and set the roaring into a fever pitch. Did it feel good for him? Yes, yes, it must have. Mark wasn't pushing him away. Mark wasn't letting go.

 

Then, all of a sudden he did. A gentle shove on the chest, and Mark was backing away, his eyes wide. “Y-you shouldn't,” he said, the stammer back. “I'm just a fan, I can't-”

 

“I told you already, you're not just a fan to me.”

 

“But I-” He gave Jinyoung mournful eyes. “I can't. It's like a betrayal-”

 

“To Jaebum? To the other fans?”

 

“To myself, that I could even dare to be with you when I made you think-” He bit down hard on his lip, cutting himself off. “Please, just... find someone good, OK?” And with that, he was off running down the forest path, leaving Jinyoung behind.

 

Jinyoung tried to give chase, but it wasn't as easy as in the movies. He wasn't familiar with where he was at all, where Mark knew exactly where he was going. Jinyoung slipped on pebbles and got winded easily. It wasn't long before Mark managed to give him the slip, and Jinyoung was left wondering how he was supposed to get out of the forest and back to civilization.

 

“!” Jinyoung yelled into the silent forest. What the hell was that? He was so sure Mark had enjoyed the kiss, so why had he run off? And what the hell did he mean by 'a betrayal'? He'd said it hadn't been betraying Jaebum, but himself instead, and Jinyoung had no idea what that meant. He just knew that he loved and wanted Mark, and if Mark had been able to kiss him back so gently, that there had to be some part of him that loved and wanted Jinyoung, too.

 

“You don't get to run away from me, Mark,” Jinyoung said, catching his breath. “If you like me for being straightforward so much, it's your turn to be the same.”

 


 

It had taken some doing, but Jinyoung had heavily bribed their fan club magazine manager to find Mark's name and address on their registry so Jinyoung could pay him a home visit, since Mark was refusing to return his calls and text messages ever since the kissing incident in the woods. Jinyoung had thought about waiting for Mark to start reappearing at JJ Project events, but it never happened, and both Jaebum and his manager were starting to yell at him for being too mopey all the time. “Keep it up, and we'll have to turn JJ Project into an emo group.”

 

So here he was on Mark's doorstep, clutching onto a giant white bag of Jinyoung version JJ Project merch. Even if Mark had absolutely no intentions of dating him due to some stupid reason or another, Jinyoung at least wanted to rescue his poor room from the clutches of Jaebum.

 

He rang the doorbell, and a minute later, Mark threw open the door. As soon as he saw who is was, his eyes widened, and he tried to shut it again.

 

Jinyoung stuck out his foot before he could. “Nice to see you, too,” he quipped.

 

“You can't come inside,” Mark said urgently. “Absolutely not.”

 

“Why? Is it because I kissed you?”

 

“No!” Mark said, his face flaming. It gave him the moment of weakness Jinyoung needed to get the door open wider so he could slip in. “Jinyoung, I'm serious. You really shouldn't be here.”

 

“Look, I'm not going to do something bad like kiss you again in front of your family.” He lifted up the bag. “I just want to help you redecorate your room.”

 

Mark looked even more horrified. “You cannot go up to my room, Park Jinyoung.” He attempted to block Jinyoung's path to the staircase. “I'll do anything you want, just don't go in there.”

 

“Why? I already know it's covered in Jaebum. You don't have to be embarrassed.” He dodged Mark and hurriedly went up the stairs, finding the room with Mark's name on the front, and throwing it open.

 

It was covered in merch. Practically buried. The ceiling, the walls, the bookshelf, the desk. There were posters and wall scrolls and body pillows and fans and slogans and magazine clippings and polaroids and practically everything JYP had ever sold for JJ Project. It must have cost Mark a small fortune, but it didn't seem like he had much else in his room, other than a very thick stack of their albums. All Jinyoung could see was merch.

 

And only some of it was Jaebum. Over 90% of it was Jinyoung, from the body pillows to the wall scrolls covering the expanse of his walls. Everywhere Jinyoung looked, he saw himself staring back.

 

“Oh,” Jinyoung said, dropping the suddenly unnecessary bag to the ground. Mark already had everything Jinyoung had brought.

 

“That's why I didn't want you to come in,” Mark said from behind him. “You're going to laugh at me, aren't you?”

 

“W-what did you do with all your Jaebum merch?” Jinyoung stammered.”Did you seriously buy all of this within the past month?”

 

Mark shook his head. “Come on. I'll show you the Jaebum merch.” He pulled Jinyoung across the hall to what was presumably his sister's room and threw open the door. The Jaebum body pillow and posters and fans were all there, though her collection was far more subdue than Mark's. “I was buying the Jaebum merch for her.

 

“Y-you were?” Jinyoung sputtered. “But you weren't buying any of my merch that day, I don't understand-”

 

“Because I'd already pre-ordered it the day it was announced. I didn't need to buy any of it, because it was already being shipped to my house.” Mark exhaled in frustration. “And now I look like a jerk for hiding it. I was going to take it down, but I didn't think you knew my address and would find out... it would have been easier if you'd just let me disappear, OK?”

 

“Why would I want to do that?” Jinyoung demanded. “You like me! You liked me all along! Isn't that, I don't know, exactly what I wanted?!?!”

 

“I don't just like you, Jinyoung. I'm kind of freaking obsessed with you. Doesn't that freak you out?”

 

“No, I think it rather makes us even, don't you?”

 

“And the fact that I lied to you doesn't bother you? I made you think I was in love with Jaebum so I could go on a few one-on-one dates with my celebrity crush.”

 

“The result would have been the same if you hadn't made me think you were in love with Jaebum. I would have asked you out. You just made me take a longer road, and yeah maybe I'm a little ticked, but if it gave you more time to get to know the real me before we started dating, then it's fine by me.” He turned his back on the Jaebum room and went back to Mark's room. In a way, it was kind of overwhelming to be stared at by so many versions of himself at once, but when he imagined Mark going home to this room every day, mooning over him and thinking of him and fantasizing about him, it just left him incredibly pleased. “I'm so freaking happy,” he said. “All that bit about me being the brightest star in the sky and meeting your eyes at the concert wasn't just because of JJ Project, huh? It was because of me specifically?”

 

Mark nodded, a little abashedly.

 

“You don't have to be embarrassed,” Jinyoung said. “This might possibly be the happiest thing that has ever happened to me.”

 

“It's just... I was always so much cooler than this in my head,” Mark muttered. “I was going to go about this suavely and really make you fall for me instead of coming across looking like a possibly mental fanboy. You've won me over since the moment I first saw you, and what exactly have I done?”

 

“Won me over since the moment I first saw you,” Jinyoung echoed. “I just happen to have a thing for possibly mental fanboys, and you just didn't know until now.” He reached out to Mark's cheek. “But I feel like we'll have to start this over. I asked way too many questions about why you thought Jaebum was cool instead of asking you about why you think I'm cool.”

 

“It might possibly take a few years to answer that question thoroughly,” Mark said a little breathlessly.

 

“Exactly,” Jinyoung responded. He went over to the bed, pushing body pillow Jinyoung off. Sorry, but I'm going to be the one he holds onto from now on. “By my last count, you've missed one concert and four autograph sessions, including the one I rudely ripped the ticket for in front of your face. Don't you want to make me compensate you for it?”

 

Mark in his breath, still looking a little dazed. “Yeah. But just a warning, this is going to take some getting used to on my part.”

 

“Oh, that's fine,” Jinyoung breathed, reaching out to pull Mark closer, their lips grazing each other. “I think I can handle plenty of practice to get you used to it.”

 


 

The landscape from a stage was always so beautiful. There was Jaebum moving in his cool and intricate steps beside him, the screams of the fans laid out before him, the music thumping on the speakers, the lightsticks and slogan towels waving, the feel of the floor beneath his feet, the bright lights, the chants of their names.

 

But the most beautiful thing of all was who was screaming his name the loudest, the normally quiet looking fairy boy in the front with the Jinyoung sign and the eyes which looked at him with awed pleasure, as if he was the brightest star of the daylight, more blinding and radiant than the sun. Jinyoung threw him a smile and danced with more life in his movements, fueled by Mark's support. It didn't matter if he wasn't the most popular member of the group and their group was far from being the most popular group in the area.

 

Right now, looked at like this, he felt like the most important person in the world.