Taking Courage

Perfect

The dorm was quiet since it was past midnight and they have tons of schedule for the next few days. Suho reminded them to take enough rest so they can participate well on the shows. He also said that he doesn't want another fainting members on stage. He wasn't mad they know that. He was just worried. But even though Suho already told what to do so, Baekhyun is still wide awake in his bed. He can't sleep because of the thought that lingers on him since the SMtown Concert ended. A while ago while everyone was busy doing their job, Chanyeol and him do that damn fanservice. He doesn't know what strike his head when he put his hands on the back of his bestfriends head. 'It is supposed to be a head bump Baek, for Pete's sake! WAE!!!'. He let his frustration out with a curse and didn't notice his roommate's stirring up from his sleep. Chanyeol sat up and look towards Baekhyun's bed. He rubbed his sleepy eyes.

"Something wrong, Baek?", his groogy state didn't notice the shock from his bestfriend's face. 

"N-N-Nothing Yeol. Just go back to sleep." He cursed himself for waking up Chanyeol. The latter heard the stutter so he get worried.

"Is it a nightmare?" Chanyeol asked sitting properly on the edge of his bed. Now completely awake. Baekhyun turned to his side and sighed. 

"Really Yeol? Being concern to me right now? And really it was nothing", he tried to assure the other. Chanyeol frowned and lean a little closer, from Baekhyun's perception, to him.

"You didn't yelp before sleeping. Somethings bothering you, hyung." Baekhyun was taken aback from the formality. He knows Chanyeol uses it only to when his worried. He sighed again. He really can't win the upperhand when it came to Chanyeol. But he can't tell the younger the truth.

"It's just-", he trailed off. "It's just the schedule and all, Chanyeol", he lied. "It's just frustrating!"

Chanyeol sighed and looked at Baekhyun straight in the eyes. For Baekhyun, it was a overwhelming security and love he see on Chanyeol eyes. And for Chanyeol, it's mutual.

"Can I-". Chanyeol's hesistant to ask because he knows he might look stupid infront of Baekhyun. And all of this will be use as a weapon against him. The hesitation was known by Baekhyun.

"You can what?" the older asked in pure curiousity. The younger just looked at his fingers that are fidgetting in this knees. Baekhyun turned to look at the ceiling and sighed. 

"Yah Chanyeol if you're not telling me, you should-". The words never came out as he felt warm beside him. He heard something but can't comprehend by his brain because of the heat radiating from Chanyeol.

"Baek, I want to sleep beside you tonight, okay." The older didn't move. He was stucked there and all he knows was his heart was beating so fast and his mind was blown away. Somehow he felt something pulsing in his arms but he ignores it and tell himself it was his veins pulsing. 

On the other hand, Chanyeol was cursing inside because of their present position. He was lying on Baekhyun's bed looking at Baekhyun's shocked expression. His heart was beating so loud and fast that he hopes that his hyung never felt it through his arms.

"If you don't want it, I can just sleep by myself but still.....I'm-....I'm worried about you," he said shyly. 'Oh what the Park Chanyeol!!!! You're getting a little bold in there', he said to himself. Thanks to the dim light. They didn't notice each other's flushed faces. Baekhyun scooted away from Chanyeol so the latter can lay properly. No words were spoken and that lulls them to their own dreamlands.

 

 

 

"Chanyeol, let's stop being bestfriends," Baekhyun said whilst looking at Chanyeol. The latter frowned in utter confusion.

"Why Baekhyun? Did I do something stupid that you don't like?", He asked him. He just looked down. 'Why isn't he looking at me?' Chanyeol asked himself. 'Did I really did something wrong'.

"Please look at me Baek! Look at me! What's wrong?" the younger asked again furiously this time. Baekhyun looked at him with those eyes full of different emotions. He open his mouth to say something but close it again then sighed.

"We can't be bestfriend, Chanyeol." That hurt the younger a lot. Being bestfriends was his only excuse to be that close to him. An excuse for his unspoken infatuation with the other. He cried. Infront of the person who have told him to be strong in any situation.

"Chanyeol", sweet voice calling his name although he knows that the owner was the culprit for this heartache of his. 

"Chanyeol." He close his eyes to feel the warmness of the voice. His heart will calm like this.

"Chanyeol." 

Then a slap. He felt his cheeks sting in the rude of action. He knows there's undeniable red hand mark on his right cheek. He rolled against the matress and hide his face in the pillow which smells strawberry. The smell was so calming. He was oozing back to sleep when he felt a kick on his side. He almost fall off the bed.

"YAH! WHAT THE ARE YOU---" he stopped when he realize who did that to him. Baekhyun was shocked on the respond he got from the younger. Not really on the younger's respond but mostly on how he had kicked Chanyeol. Chanyeol stood straight and put the pillow that he was sniffing a while ago. It was Baekhyun's. How he forgot that he insist on sleeping in the older's bed with. The thought of last night making Chanyeol a little constipated (beacause of the ing butterflies in his stomach that's why his constipated).

Baekhyun cleared his throat to break the ice forming between them. When do awkwardness starts to invade them? Oh yeah, right. The Fanservice.

"We need to arrive at the set in an hour so better be ready now". He explained before rushing out of their room.

 

 

After a span of 25 minutes, Chanyeol came out and went to the living room to see his hyungs and dongsaeng watching the morning drama.

"I thought we had a schedule to day?" he asked while sitting on the floor beside Kai who is sitting between Lay's leg. 

" Manager hyung told us that it's been postponed in some other day," Suho said while munching a sandwich while Sehun's head was resting on his lap.

"Here Chanyeol." He instantly looked at the owner of the voice who was handling him a sandwich.

"Thanks, Baek. Have you eaten already ?" he asked while unwrapping his food. Baekhyun pointed a bowl of fruits in the coffe table to tell Chanyeol not to worry. Chanyeol just shrugged and went on eating his food while listening to his other members conversation.Unnoticed by him the lingering stare of his bestfriend.

 

 

 

Chanyeol, together with the maknaes, Sehun and Kai went out to play arcade. It was not really far from the dorm and all they wanted to do was to have fun.

"Yah~ Winter wind was coming to town~" Sehun said while clinging to Kai's arms.

"Yeah." Chanyeol answered lowly.

"Wae,wae,wae,wae,wae?" Sehun said standing infront of Chanyeol pulling Kai with him. Chanyeol stopped walking and looked at them confused.

"You sound upset hyung," Kai blurted. Sehun nod as he agrees with Kai's statement. The two maknaes teaming up to know Chanyeol's problem. 

He wasn't supposed to say it to them but when times like this strike, the 'evil maknaes' can be a little helpful. He sighed.

" This is a little bit of a secret and you two aren't supposed to know," he said straightforwardly. The two just nod understanding it. Or maybe not.

"I-", he trailed off. Sehun took a deep breath. "You what, hyung". Kai's a little curious and confuse. What's bothering Chanyeol hyung? He thought of what could be the reason his favorite hyung being like this.

"I think. I think I'm in love", the older stated shyly. Embarrassment take a toll on his body when Sehun laughed maniacly. Kai's confused. 'He's inlove but why does it feels like it's not the problem here', Kai said to his mind.

"C'mon Hyung! You don't to worry about that! You can make any girl's heart melt with your sweet dumbness", Sehun said not realizing the real problem unlike Kai. The younger of the three clung himself to his Hyungs and dragged them to the Arcade station. Kai was looking at his hyung worriedly.

 

 

The next day comes and Kai still didn't figured out what's Chanyeol 's real problem. He tried his best to not bother about it by going out with Kyungsoo to buy Chanyeol a birthday gift.They went to a gift store near their dorm but he can't choose the proper gift for his hyung with the thought of Chanyeol's being depressed. The older one notice it and ask him.

"What's bugging you Nini?" Kai was caught off guard. He turned to Kyungsoo confused. Kyungsoo looks at him with his cold look while holding a keychain.

"You can lie to anyone else but not me, Jongin. Go on spill it out." He encourages the younger. Kai knows well that he can trust Kyungsoo with Chanyeol's problem. Even though the latter thought that Kyungsoo only gives him punches, Kyungsoo was often concern of his hyungs. He doesn't want to be as showy as everyone. Kai took a deep breath and confess.

 

 

AT THE DORM

 

Chanyeol is in the kitchen helping Kyungsoo in cooking the food his parent's brought them for his birthday while the other's are in the living room preparing. Kyungsoo was watching Chanyeol like a hawk never bothering to start a conversation. On the other hand, Chanyeol felt eyes on him since this afternoon when everyone meet up in SM's building. He receives a lot of present from his friends, family and even the fans sent parcels for him wishing him a happy day on his birthday. He felt love. But he was still craving in the different kind of love he only found on his bestfriend.

 

They have finished cooking all the food and they eat it all deliciously. Chanyeol receives a lot of compliment from the other members. Even Kyungsoo who cooked with him compliments him.

"Chanyeol-ah, I never knew you cook so well", Xiumin said while drinking his soda.

"I'm going to agree with you hyung. I think my stomach's going to burst", Jongdae added. With that anyone laughed except for the two awkward soul that was noticed by Lay. So being the curious one, he blurted it out.

"Did you two fight again? Wae Baekhyun-ah? It's Chanyeol's birthday!" The rest of them looked at the two men sitting both side of Xiumin. It hit them that the two didn't sit beside each other and it's really unusual. Taken aback, Chanyeol was dumbfounded on what to answer. So to save his sorry , Baekhyun speaks.

"Aniya! It's not what you think hyung. Actually, I have something to give Chanyeol." All of their attentions was on Baekhyun right now. Chanyeol was shocked, the hyungs are curious and Sehun's a little sneaky. Kai and Kyungsoo was confused. They saw the truth already.

 

They decided to call it a day because a sched tomorrow and they wouldn't want to waste more energy. Chanyeol had took a shower on the main bathroom befor going to his room. He sat down on the edge of his bed while looking outside the window. He thinks he receives so much love this year. He didn't notice Baekhyun sat up in his bed. Baekhyun thought that Chanyeol was glowing under the moonlight. He looks like an angel in disguise, he thinks. And he want that angel to guard him everytime.

Chanyeol was about to lay down when he saw Baekhyun looking at him. He saw it. They saw it. The looks in each other's eyes was somewhat different from before. Chanyeol can see confusion in Baekhyun's eyes. The latter can see longingness and sadness in the former's big eyes. They are both drown to confusion and they didn't know what to do until a soft knock interruped there staring session.

Baekhyun was the one to open the door to see Kai fidgetting. 

"Omo Jongin-ah. Is there something wrong?", he asked. Kai nodded a little and Baekhyun let him enter. The younger immediately sits on Baekhyun's bed infront of Chanyeol and asked the latter bluntly.

"What's the matter between you two?" The hyungs was caught off guard by the maknae's question.

"Don't lie to me Chanyeol-hyung. I can sense the tension between you two. You seem so..." Kai thought for the right word to describe the space between his hyung that for some reason it shouldn't be there.

"You mean awkward?" Chanyeol answered for him. Kai nodded and he can sense his other Hyung was looking at Chanyeol. Chanyeol looked up to see Baekhyun looking at him and that's it. He also need to know how they become awkward.

"Yeah. Maybe we are. Maybe not" Kai was confused.He never saw his hyung so deep in thought like this.Like he was contemplating on something.As he look for his Baekhyun hyung's reaction it was opposite of what his Chanyeol-hyung showed.It was a pure sadness and rejection. Rejection??? Is he? He needs to be sure.

"Hyung, I know you say it's a secret but Baekhyun might know this," Kai began. The two of them was looking at Kai tentatively. One with confusion. One with fear.

"Is this all about the fact that you're in love?"

"What?"

"Kai!"

The two reacted at the same time.Baekhyun looked Chanyeol. With disbelief. How can he say something like that to Kai and not with him?He's his bestfriend.Is this what Baekhyun will get from the friendship he keeps on protecting from his stupid feelings? He feel really betrayed.He wants to cry.He wants to punch Chanyeol straight to his face.He wants to run away from him and bury himself six feet below the ground.He feel disgusted to himself for keeping those feelings that from the start won't do good for him.

Kai saw the fury in Baekhyun eyes. 'So Kyungsoo hyung is right.' He smirked.

"The fish was caught from his own mouth." Kai said. Baekhyun looked at him confused.Chanyeol whose heart was beating so fast asked.

"W-What do you mean?" Kai snickered.He shouldn't act like this it was his hyungs but it was so funny to see that the both of them are really clueless with each other.

"Baekhyun hyung.You're in love too, right?" Baekhyun was taken aback.'H-how did he know?' He was shaking.He felt like there's a pail of ice water poured above him.No one supposed to know about the infatuation he had.The monster that will destroy everything.The monster that was known as love.

So as a response he was about to refused the fact and get Kai to believe it but the moment he held up his head he saw Kai and Chanyeol looking at him.But that's not all.It seems that the other members overheard the commotion and they are all piled up in the door.Looking confused and patient for the answer Baekhyun was supposed to give.But he can't and Kyungsoo saw it.

"I think we should let them be Kai.It's about midnight.You are tired.We are all tired," Kyungsoo help as an excuse.Baekhyun look at him with glittering eyes which thanks the guy silently.

"No, hyung.I need to hear it from Baekhy--Ouch!Hyung!"Kai cried out in pain when Kyungsoo hit him.All of them was shocked.Kyungsoo never hit Kai like that.He was Kyungsoo's favorite so seeing him hitting Kai is a warning to the others to stepped out of the room and mind their own business.One by one the members walked away the said room and Kyungsoo was dragging Kai away while the latter was still protesting.

A long silence was deafening the both of them.Chanyeol was the first one to move and close their shared room door.He cleared his throat before looking at his bestfriend.He needs to know.Chanyeol knows Baekhyun needs to know.He needs to know how Chanyeol loves him.How Chanyeol wants to hug him.How Chanyeol wants to keep him beside him.But his dream.It's haunting him.He doesn't want to let Baekhyun go.The thought.It was killing him.It's very painful. But the fact that he had let it out to him.If he would take a step forward.Maybe the pain will never be that painful.So he turned around to Baekhyun, taking courage, taking a step forward just to realize his bestfriend,the love of his life was silently crying standing there infront of his bed.

Chanyeol felt a pang on his heart.He felt it.All the worries he keep on his own immediately forgotten.Just one remains.

He moved towards Baekhyun and hugged him.He didn't notice the little flinch Baekhyun gave the moment he hugged him.The hug is not comforting for Baekhyun thus it made him sobbed more.

Baekhyun hates himself for being so childish right now.He wasn't supposed to cry like this.He's an adult already.He needs to face his own problem not cry on it and expect his parents to help him.Hell, Even his parents don't know about his gender preference and that's makes him cry more.

Chanyeol noticed that the shorter isn't stopping anytime sooner so he soothed circles on his back and whispered "It's okay Baekkie" countless of times.

Few minutes later, Baekhyun sobs seem to lessen right now and Chanyeol's shirt was already soaked with tears. But that's not the problem for him.The problem is why Baekhyun cry. So biting his lower lips, he pulled Baekhyun away from him. The shorter didn't even fight and let Chanyeol. He didn't look up also.Afraid that if he see Chanyeol he will cry again.

The taller took a deep breath.

"Baekhyun hyung.I have something to tell you."

Yeah.He had something to tell him.Something that will either end their friendship or start a fresh, new and leveled up relationship. The thought made him smile a lilttle.

On the other hand, Baekhyun was nervous.The silence Chanyeol giving him makes him wanna look up at the giant and see what's happening.But he's afraid.He's afraid to see the truth.That maybe Chanyeol knows like how Kai knows. That he's---

"I like you, hyung."