prologue (1/2)

spur of the moment

"Seoul..." The name of the capital city of Korea became the first word that was mumbled out of her lips that night, as her orbs stared into the plane ticket, held tightly in her hands. Her flight would be leaving tomorrow morning at 10:30, and luckily, she had packed beforehand a few days ago. Meiqi knew she had to be more advanced than anything right now, especially while learning the foreign language, in which she was constantly improving.

Her train of thoughts stopped when her phone rang, blasting out her ringtone from her favourite girl group of all time. She sat up on her bed, her legs crossed once she had reached for the electronic device to answer the incoming call and put it on her ear.

"MEIQI, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE LEAVING TOMORROW! Oh no, what am I going to do without you?!"

"Xuan Yi, I'll be okay, you don't have to worry. You have Xiao and the rest of the girls to keep you-"

"MENG MEIQI! WE'RE GOING TO MISS YOU! PLEASE SEND US PICTURES!"

"I definitely will, Soobin. Trust me, I'm going to take a lot of pictures, you might get faded up."

"Your Korean has been improving by a ton, Meiqi! I'm proud of you, beautiful."

"It's all thanks to you. Thank you for the lessons, Hyunjung. I really appreciate it."

"Meiqi dear, I helped too, you know!"

"Me three! Meiqi-ah, please don't forget Juyeon and I, Im Dayoung-"

"Don't forget me too, miss Meng! Also, with Jiyeon, Xiao, Jinsook, Yeonjung, Luda and Dawon!"

Endless chuckles followed by the answer given by Sojung, one of the eldest in their friend group. They had dropped formalities after months of hanging out because apparently, due to Hyunjung, their ages were pretty close, since they were consisted of freshmen to juniors. They were insperable as soon as one fated encounter between the ten newly transferred students from Korea met the Chinese trio of Meiqi, Xiao and Xuan Yi came upon them.

"Wait, are you girls at our usual hangout?"

"Yes, we are! Hyunjung dragged our butts here for-"

"Shh, don't spill the beans, Jiyeon!"

"Girls...?"

"Hehe. Just ignore it, Meiqi-ah. Take good care of yourself, yeah? You're going to be amazing!"

"Luda is right. Take care of your meals too. Don't think too much. Meng Meiqi, fighting!"

"Thank you, Luda, Dawon. You two are just the sweetest."

"Oh oh! Meiqi, Xiao has something to say to you."

"Yeonjung and Jinsook helped me to perfect these three words in Korean... I love you!"

"Aw, Xiao has gotten the finger hearts part too!"

"Jinsook, stop making me feel shy..."

"I wish I can come and give all of you a hug right now. All of you are just simply adorable."

"Oh well, isn't that our charm?"

"Typical Juyeon. Anyway, you shall get some rest, Meiqi. You have a long day tomorrow."

"I second that, Soobin. Ladies, let's give our darling some rest now..."

"Now, at the count of three... one... two... three... Good night, Meiqi! We love you!"

"Good night! I love you too!"

She knew, by those words, that she was going to miss them by a ton. All of a sudden, a huge amount of emotions began to overwhelm her once they hung up, shivers already running down her spine at the thought of fitting in into the foreign country, starting by the next day. How in the world was she going to survive without them? It would be a huge struggle, considering the language barrier as well. But she knew she had to do this, since she signed up for the exchange program, anyway.

She came with hopes for a beautiful experience, with wonderful memories, experincing and embracing the culture and sights with all her might. Her wandering heart had wanted this so badly... Her chance had come by. This was it.

(Also, bless those crazy yet lovable twelve dorks for sending her encouraging and funny messages to cheer her up and make her night a whole lot better. Friendship never ends, huh, Spice Girls?)