One

The Memory Collector
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Every person is assigned of a memory collector. While heaving his last  breath, the collector will come and gather his memories. This will help the person to have a fresh start in his next life.The gathered memoirs will be stored in a vial and will be lined up along with million others.

Though powerful, memory collectors are not aware of two things: one, is that memories cannot be completely drained out of a person. Most specially if a certain memory holds powerful emotions. That's the reason for de ja vus.  Second, collectors never knew where they came from.  No one asks because they know that no one will answer. Only the headmaster knows the secret for their existence but it's something that he cannot easily share to anyone.

For his first mission, Mark Tuan  is assigned to a girl named Kim Jennie. Unlike other collectors, Mark frequently watches his subject. The deed was actually unnecessary, as a grim reaper will contact him  about her  time of death. But there is something in her that draws him and he's dying to figure what it is.

Jennie entered a cafe and as per usual, Mark tailed him. She's wearing her usual demeanor but Mark can tell that something is different. Her eyes radiate a certain sadness though her lips are stretched into a smile. Mark didn't like it. He never liked it when Jennie is in pain.

He took the seat across her while she furiously scribbles on her notebook. The timer vibrated and Jennie took her order from the counter.

March 27. She encircled the date on her planner.  Mark knows what March 27 means.

The death anniversary of her parents.

The invisible man headed out of the cafe and walked to the nearby park.  A dog barked at him. He patted its head and the white pup cheerfully wagged its tail to play with him. He looked around and saw its owner talking to a woman, completely ignoring her pet. Mark had an idea. He unleashed the dog and lured it into the cafe.

Jennie was exiting the building when a white corgi came running towards her. Her eyes lit up in delight. She hugged the dog and kissed the top of its head.  The dog continoulsy wagged its tail but it seems to bark at something from Jennie's back.  She turned around only to find an almost empty street, she looked at the dog  with curiosity.

"Who are you barking at huh, little dog?" Jennie uttered while gently caressing the dog's fur.  It remained jumpy while Mark, on the other hand, is furiously trying to hush the animal.

-----

"Gigi! There you are!" A lady in her 30's approached Jennie as she walked towards the park. She figured out that the dog may be lost and is barking in distress.

Jennie offered a wide smile at the lady.

"Oh! I found him near Holly's. I figured he might be missing so I walked around. I'm Jennie by the way."

"Thank you so much lady! You have a kind heart. Just beware Jennie, I can see that spirits are all over you", the lady uttered and it gave her goosebumps. She'd be lying if she'll say that it didn't bug her. She excused herself and headed home.

----

March 27.

Mark stayed glued to his seat. It was a mint green beanbag located at the farthest corner of Jennie's room. He watched her intensely as she shuffle from dress to dress. She tried another one  until she found a white flowy dress she bought days ago.  It reached down to her knees and falls perfectly for her figure. Its gold embellishments are simple but  it made the piece look

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter