Coffee Cup Confessions

Coffee Cup Confessions

For Jubgkookie, Thanks for requesting

Kyulkyung wondered if there was a word the could describe this weather. The strange mix between late fall and early winter. The almost pure white sky mixed with the cold breeze that moved the still falling leaves. She was shook from her daze by her vibrating phone. She reached into her pocket, grabbing her phone. She unlocked the screen stopping the buzzing. She looked at the flashing notification. “Off Shift.”

 

She grabbed her jacket from the coat rack hanging by the door. She stopped in her tracks as the shop door opened. It was like a scene from a movie when you don’t know what’s about to happen. Then all of a sudden the human form of mystery walks through the door. Kyulkyung stared at the unknow customer as they slid into one of the booths. Kyulkyung contemplated staying over time just to get to know them. She dismissed the thought as she remembered Nayoung telling her that a friend would be staying with them, which meant she would have to get home quickly so she could clean out a space. She glanced at the person one last time before exiting the cafe.


 

------

 

Kyulkyung had been staring at her laptop screen when, there was a knock on the door. She hopped up excitedly grabbing her wallet, making her way to the door. She opened the door, her smile dropping as she realized it hadn’t been her delivery. She blinked a couple of times before jumping back, recognizing the girl standing at the door.  

 

“Oh, I know you, you were at the cafe earlier.”  Kyulkyung exclaimed

 

The girl gave a small smile. “Yeah, you were the one staring at me.”

 

Kyulkyung looked down as a blush began to stain her cheeks.”Yah Somin I said go inside not stand there.” Kyulkyung’s head snapped up, recognizing the voice. Nayoung stood at the doorway arms crossed.

 

Somin shook her head in defence. “I was just talking to..” She trailed, as she hadn’t gotten to exchange names.

 

Nayoung’s eyes snapped to Kyulkyung’s direction. “Oh, you were talking to Pinky.”

 

Somin raised a brow at the nickname. “Pinky?”

 

“Ah you can call me Kyulkyung if that’s too weird.” Somin shook her head. “No Pinky is..cute.” Nayoung glanced at her friend in surprise. “Did he switch souls with someone or something.” She mumbled

 

”Hm?” Somin asked turning to Nayoung.

“I said let me show you to your room.” She said pulling the girl away from the door.Leaving a blushing Kyulkyung alone.

 

-------

 

Almost two months later and the girl is still a mystery. Well to Kyulkyung anyway. It’s not that they haven’t talked to each other. She’d often see her at her job, where they both spent hours there, for very different reasons. She’d also seen her in their classes, they even sat next to each other. But it was like every time Somin would start a conversation Kyulkyung would freeze.

 

“Boo!” Kyulkyung shrieked, almost falling off her seat.Nayoung scolded a laughing Eunwoo as her other friends sat around the table.

 

“What? It’s not my fault she was daydreaming about Somin again. Kyulkyung turned toward the younger girl. She fought the urge to hit her, instead she defended herself.

 

“I was not nor have I ever been daydreaming about Somin.” Nayoung finally budded into the conversation. “You may not daydream but you most definitely stare, I live with you remember?” Kyulkyung dropped her onto the table that had erupted into laughter.

 

“Why don’t you just ask her out?” Rena asked before standing to throw her empty ramyeon cup away. The rest of the group mumbled out an assortment of agreements. Kyulkyung ran a hand through her hair. “I can’t, I hardly know her.”

 

“Then get to know her.” Nayoung said tiredly. “Get to know her and date her or I’ll tell her.”

 

Kyulkyung’s eyes bulged. “Okay,alright I’ll try just-.” She was cut off by the bell that signaled their lunch break was over.  Kyulkyung waved her friends goodbye before heading off to her next class.

 

------

 

A black marker spun in her fingers as she waited for teacher. An assortment of words clouded her mind, all having something to do with Somin and confession. She’d scribbled words onto the cup. “Pinky-ah would you mind helping me?” She turned to the student behind her with a smile. Her hand let the cup slip from her hands, unbeknownst to where it had rolled. Right onto the desk beside her, which coincidentally had been Somin’s. The girl who’d just happened to walk into class, picking up the cup skeptically, face scrunching as she read it. Not much time to concentrate as the teacher walked in, calling for everyone’s attention.

 

Kyulkyung turned to Somin noticing the cup in her hands. She would’ve taken the cup back with an apology if Somin hadn’t said anything. “Looks like someone wants to get to know me.” Somin joked holding the cup out for Kyulkyung to see. Her eyes followed the words on the cup, “Roses are red violets are blue and maybe someday I’ll get to know you.” Kyulkyung would’ve facepalmed herself if it wasn’t for the bright light bulb that shined inside her head. Kyulkyung only smiled with a nod before turning towards the teacher.

 

-----

 

Feeling relieved as she exited her final class, Kyulkyung made her way down the school steps. Her eyes caught the sight of Somin’s signature denim jacket. She snuck up behind her in an attempt to scare her, until Somin turned to her with a raised brow. “Kyulkyung what are you doing?”

 

Kyulkyung smiled sheepishly. “Ah I was going to uh..nevermind where are you going?” She asked linking her arms with the other girl.

 

“Nowhere really just gonna take some photos.” Kyulkyung nodded only now noticing the camera in Somin’s hands.

 

“Do you mind if I tag along.” She asked using this moment as her chance to begin her plan. Somin nodded with a smile.

 

They’d been walking for a while talking about random things, Somin taking pictures every now and then. Kyulkyung shivered as she rubbed her arms, mentally telling herself to take a jacket from now on. “Here.” Somin said placing her own jacket over Kyulkyung’s shoulders. Normally Kyulkyung would have declined but she made an exception as she was to cold to decline. “Thanks.” She mumbled fitting her arms into the jacket. Her nose inhaled the scent of cinnamon that reminded her of her job. Kyulkyung stopped in her tracks quickly pulling her phone from her pocket. She groaned as she saw the time.

 

“Something wrong?” Somin asked worriedly

 

“Yes actually I totally forgot that I had to be at work and I’m about to be late.”

 

Somin chuckled at the Kyulkyung’s worried face. “It’s fine I was thinking of heading home anyway.” Kyulkyung nodded before turning away from her running down the street.

 

-------

 

Kyulkyung smiled to herself as she made her way down to the lunchroom. She greeted her friends with a wave. Xiyeon whispered something to Eunwoo who nodded before staring at her with intensely.

 

Kyulkyung squirmed under her friends intimidating stare.  Eunwoo finally looked away. “You’re extremely happy today.” She pointed out making the others nod.

 

“Kyulkyung shrugged. “Am I not allowed to be happy?” She pouted defensively. All eyes turned to Nayoung expectantly. “She finally spoke to Somin without stuttering and they’ve been texting each other non stop for the past three days.”

 

“But you guys live together why not just speak to each other?” Xiyeon asked.with a skeptical look

 

“Yah shut up you little-.” Kyulkyung was cut of by her phone that buzzed, making the table vibrate. Kyulkyung snatched it of the table, quickly opening the message.

 

“You’re not afraid of heights are you?”

 

“No, why?” Kyulkyung quickly typed back

 

She only sent back a picture captioned “School rooftop, meet me.”  Kyulkyung stood from her seat, grabbing her bg telling her friends she’ll see them later.

 

She pushed open the door to the rooftop that she was sure should’ve been restricted. “Somin?” Kyulkyung asked making the taller girl turn with a smile. “You actually came.” She said surprised.

 

“Yeah..why did you want me to come here anyway?”She asked trying to hide her smile as she caught sight of the coffee cup she planted earlier.

 

“You didn’t really get to see my skill of picture taking.”

 

“Again not seeing how that has anything to do with this.” Kyulkyung said motioning towards the rooftop.

 

Somin wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “This is the perfect setting plus I wanted to talk to you.”

 

“We have been talking to each other.” Kyulkyung said.

 

“Talking and texting aren’t the same thing.” Sonmin mocked

 

“It sounds like you just wanted to hear my voice.” Kyulkyung teased. Somin pushed her lightly. “Don’t make me regret inviting you here.

 

For hours they sat there snapping pictures, laughing and such. Neither even mentioned the fact that they’d been missing school, which was most definitely over by now.

 

“Somin, Somin look.” Kyulkyung nudged her as she stood. Somin’s eyes followed Kyulkyung who’d been smiling at the sky. “What?” She asked groggily

“It’s snowing.” Somin looked down finally noticing the sprinkles of white that had been tacking onto her  She looked over to Kyulkyung who was twirling ever so gracefully with the snow. She grabbed her camera quickly snapping a photo of the girl. Kyulkyung’s movements stopped at the sound of the camera’s click.

 

“Did you take a picture of me?” Somin smiled sheepishly as she held the camera close to her. “What if I did?”

 

“You’d have to delete it.”

 

“Why you’re perfectly photogenic.” Kyulkyung blushed at the comment. “Fine, I’ll let you keep it if..you walk me to work.”

 

“Fine.” Somin trudges dramatically towards the rooftop door, holding it open for Kyulkyung. They made their way off the rooftop and out of the school.

 

The walked silently towards Kyulkyung’s job. It was a peaceful silence that matched the cool weather. Sometime during their trip they’d intertwined hands, neither saying anything about it though. They stopped at the brightly lit store, the scent of coffee pushed it’s way out of the store. The smell strong enough to persuade someone who was late to a job interview to stop and grab a cup. Kyulkyung’s 90% sure that’s how they get their customers

 

“So this is where I stop.” Kyulkyung said swaying their hands.

 

Somin smiled as she untangled their fingers unsure of what to say. She bit her lip consciously before deciding to speak. “I enjoyed spending this day with you.”

 

Kyulkyung smiled nervously. “Me too..I’ll see you later.”

 

“I know we kinda live together.” Kyulkyung gave her one last smile before turning into the shop. Her smile became sheepish as she caught Nayoung’s eyes. “So I guess your coffee cup confessions are working.”

 

“Shut up!”

 

-------

 

Little did Kyulkyung know Somin knew about her little confessions. She found them quite cute. But she was tired of waiting. Which is why she stood outside the signature coffee shop waiting for Kyulkyung, with  confession of her own.

 

The streets had become littered with Christmas lights, jingling bells. People seemed happier around this time.

Somin’s thoughts were disrupted as she spotted Kyulkyung. She smiled as she waved her goodbyes to the customers that were still there. She stepped outside jumping back as she saw Somin. “Oh what’re you doing here?”

 

“After all those coffee cups you’ve been leaving me I decided to actually get some.” Kyulkyung blushed, looking away. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

Somin pulled the cup she’d been hiding into Kyulkyung’s view. “So this wasn’t from you.”

 

Kyulkyung tried hard not to cringe as she read the note she left for her. It was about practically her begging to be kissed. Kyulkyung shook her head. “Nope.”

 

Somin nodded with a smirk. “I see, I guess I’ll just have to find someone else to kiss-.” She was cut off by Kyulkyung’s wams latching onto her cold one’s. Their moment was ruined by a banging on the shop window. The couple turned to see an annoyed looking Nayoung, who shooed them away.

 

The two smiled sheepishly before turning away from the shop, with their fingers intertwined. Kyulkyung stopped to turn to Somin. “Were you serious about wanting coffee?”

 

“Not really but we should go back, to bother Nayoung.”

 

“We shouldn’t she’d probably beat us.”


Somin grimaced at the thought. “You’re right how does hot chocolate sound?”