chapter 1: the meeting

The Night Before the Wedding
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I want to get washed away by this infinite dark sea. I want this dark liquid oozing out of my heart to be cleansed by the icy cold water. I want to get drowned by the salty breeze wrapped around my skin and just forget that it's my birthday. That today is the wedding.

His wedding.

I thought tears would silently fall down from my eyes but all I had was a blank stare, tracing the rolling waves. I sighed heavily hoping that my stupid heart would also escape my body as I breathe out air out of my lungs. The cold water splash against my bare feet as it slowly sinks in the sand. 

"Mind if I join you?" A voice cut through the sound of waves. A guy wearing a cap stands just a meter away from me.

"Whatever you want." I guess my mind was too occupied with emotions that talking to a complete stranger at midnight poses no threat anymore.

I looked at him as he gaze at the vast dark sea. His hair getting caressed by the wind. His hands inside the pocket of his red jacket. I could feel how he's clutching it inside to refrain his self from walking forward until he blends into the water. He looked familiar. Right. Jackson of GOT7. Who wouldn't recognize him.

"You're Mark's friend right? from LA? I saw you at the hotel lobby a while ago." He blurted out.

"Yes." I answered briefly. 

I remained silent for a while. His gaze are still fixed on the massive darkness. I did the same and stared back at the ocean.

"What are you doing out here? It's too cold." He suddenly asked.

"Uhh...", I didn't know if I should be honest or not so I throw him back the question. " What about you? Why are you out here?"

"Me? I'm just exploring things then I saw you and thought why not make friends in the middle of the night." He smiled like a ball of happiness.

He might have seen my slightly-creeped-out reaction so he suddenly took out his hands from his pocket and wave it. "Oh no no no! It's not what you're thinking. I'm a very kind person. At least my mom said." I laughed at his humor.

"I'm not a psycho or anything. If that's what you are thinking." He reassured. "I just.. I just need some company tonight. Is that okay with you?"

I saw the sincerity and same loneliness like mine in his eyes so I nod and smiled at him. "Okay." 

It was moments of just pure splash of waves before he spoke again. "Have you ever thought how many sad thoughts are swimming along this waves?" His voice was soothing but full of glum. He looks very lonely all of a sudden.

"I haven't thought much of that." I replied. I am not the most friendly person to a stranger but talking to someone after hours of silence somehow distracts me from amplifying the loneliness.

"Have you ever thought of embracing the water and just let it touch you until you're one of the waves?" He asked again like he's lost in the darkness.

I have. Right now. I just want the sea to take me with all the pain embedded in my soul.

"Not really." I lied trying to avoid getting vulnerable.

"Never thought of skinny dipping?" He teased. He has this vibe of being serious but then his unique humor pops out of a sudden making his serious sentiment roll into a joke in an instant. 

"I'll freeze if I do that." I answered back.

"It would have been fun though." The tone of his voice was unreadable again. But I am sure it was a voice of a lonely person trying to hide behind a happy face.

I inhaled as much air as I can until I feel like drowning.

"But not a bad idea for my birtthday." I blurted out trying to get comfortable talking to him. I could feel my feet slowly getting dragged into the water.

"Today's your birthday?"

"If it's already midnight." I replied.

"Cool. Happy birthday to us then." He greeted and flashed his puppy-like smile if there's a thing like that. I felt his gaze for a second then he tilts his head up gazing up in the moonless sky.

"It's your birthday too?"

"I guess so."

 I glance at him. He's still facing the sky with his eyes close. His nose bridge was more emphasized. I shook my head and casted out the thought that he's cute.

"I hope your day won't be as sh*tty as mine." I said.

I saw him forming a smile. "I doubt that." He replied with his eyes still shut.

"Well your first love is not getting married on the day of your birthday."

It was too late before I realize my confession.

He looked at me with a supressed smile. "Really? You like Mark?"

Swallow me now sand. I could feel the embarassment crawling all over my body.

"Please don't tell him. Or Sana." I just pleaded with my two hands in a praying position trying to save myself from my word vomit.

He laughed softly. "Okay. I'll keep your secret."

 I sighed in relief. "Thank you."

He looked at my side again. "Just to console you. You're not the only one having that problem. I guess we both have a sh*tty day now." Then stared far away from the sea.

"No way." I voiced my disbelief. "Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter