5:30am

Coffee In The Morning
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He came into your shared apartment at 5:30am. 

You knew this because you'd just woken up 15 minutes ago to get ready for work. He'd bumped into you in the kitchen and he wouldn't make eye contact. From his ruffled clothes and hair you could tell that he'd had a good night. 

"Ah... Y/N... Hi..." he muttered. The tips of his shoes seemed to be very interesting to him in that moment. Still no eye contact and now his hands had made their way into his hoodie pocket. Slight movements told you that his fingers were probably fidgeting. 

You looked at him and shrugged. "Want one?" you said, pointing your thumb at the pot of coffee that you'd been brewing. You'd made enough for 2 mugs just in case but maybe he needed a cup more than you needed a second one. 

He looked up, surprised that you didn't mind and you finally caught a glimpse of his eyes. Bloodshot, but not the type you get from crying. As he realised that you were noticing he looked back down, back at the oh-so-interesting shoes. 

You raised your eyebrows. "Not gonna ask about that. Coffee though? Last chance." He nodded and moved to the cupboard to get a mug. Passing it to you he looked into the pantry and got out a loaf of bread. He filled up the toaster and started to set the table for both of you. 

You let the coffee brew further and just watched the kid do what he was doing. He was 2 years older than you but you always forgot that with how he acted. This coming back in the wee hours of the morning thing wasn't uncommon. His surprise was the same every time though. You were just glad he came back. It's not that you liked him romantically but your job wasn't paying you enough to afford this apartment by yourself. 

The rule between you was no interference in personal matters and you both stuck to it religiously. There was no awkward silence when you meet like this in the morning, it was comfortable. He normally ate most of the bread and his mug of coffee but still managed to pass out on his bed after it all, often with the door to his room open and still fully clothed. Sometimes you wondered what he did but then you realised that you didn't really care that much and shrugged off the thought. 

The coffee light went off and you poured it and brought the drinks to the bench. Settling down next to the kid you slid his cup over to him to end up right next to his plate with accuracy only achieved by practice. You lifted your mug to you nose feeling the warmth of the coffee and took a whiff of it, sighing at the familiar scent. The cup came up to your lips and you took your first sip, reveling in the warmth it brought to your entire body.

You opened your eyes to the kid staring at you. If you were honest with yourself, you'd known that something was off as soon as he came into the kitchen and the feel of his stare on the side of your head had confirmed that, but now you had to confront it. 

As you made eye contact for the third time that day, he didn't look away. You saw a slightly guilty expression on his face and quirked an eyebrow. You'd had some coffee, you were ready for any of his questions. 

"Girlfriend broke up with me" he mumbled with a shrug. He grabbed a piece of toast and put spread on it. He seemed to like peanut butter and jam but this morning margarine seemed to be favourable to him for some reason. Not that you noticed that is. 

You took another sip of your coffee. "5th one this mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter