Final

Any Other Way

If there was anything in this world that Yeri loves more other than Kim Saeron, it was a real challenge.

 

That’s exactly the reason why for two years straight Yeri has been the top salesperson in their department. While most on her team avoid those hard to get clients, she goes after them like a shark on an eating rampage. She relishes on learning about their quirks and their weaknesses, and when they finally fall for that Kim Yeri signature charm, it’s like a high that’s unlike anything else.

 

But Kim Saeron, gosh, that girl is just on another level of hard to get.

 

It’s like almost like she… gasps… doesn’t care about Yeri at all.

 

Yeri knew it was love at first sight the second she saw the tall, Barbie doll in Accounting. And she didn’t waste a single second, quickly going over said Barbie doll’s cubicle, welcoming her to the team and inviting her out to lunch at a nearby café across their office.

 

But instead of a shy giggle and a polite bow, Yeri received an arctic blast of a rejection. Saeron didn’t even bother to look at her. Instead, the girl has a serious frown on that lovely face and without even glancing at Yeri, told her “She can’t.”

 

And yes, Yeri loves a good challenge, but this one is just like a nuclear missile straight to her fragile ego.

 

But it’s Kim Saeron, the most beautiful girl that Yeri laid eyes on. So is Yeri going to give up that quickly? Hell to the freaking no.

 

That wasn’t the last time that Saeron torpedoed Yeri’s heart, for weeks, all Yeri kept hearing was nope, no. Sorry no, and more no in about 40 different languages. Saeron finally thawed at around the six week mark, finally agreeing to go for one lunch. But it’s been two months since that lunch and Yeri doesn’t think there has been any progress.

 

Yeri loves a good challenge, but this one just drove her bat crazy.

 

And that’s why she’s in this predicament in the first place. It’s a Friday morning, instead of enjoying over the coming weekend, here she is mourning like it’s a Monday.

 

“Hey!” Suhyun pops up from the cubicle next to her, a frown plastered on her face. “That email is not gonna send itself. I told you I need you to forward me the attachment by today.”

 

“What am I doing wrong, Suhyun?”

 

“Well, have you tried clicking send?”

 

Yeri let out a zombie like groan, before finally pressing the enter key.

 

“No, I meant with Saeron.”

 

Suhyun raised a speculative brow. “I thought you guys are doing well?”

 

“I thought so too, but every time I try to take things further, she seems to back away.”

 

“By take things further, do you mean?” Suhyun asks in trepidation, not wanting to sound like a ert.

 

But Yeri already read through her and narrows her eyes at the question. “No, you . I meant like be actual girlfriends.”

 

“Well maybe…”

 

“Maybe what?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

The lackadaisical Yeri finally bounces off her feet, desperate to find a solution to this problem.

“What? You know something, and you’re not telling me!”

 

“Okay, well, she likes you that I’m sure of, but she thinks you’re too smooth.”

 

“Too smooth? What does that even mean?”

 

“It means… she thinks there might be others out there.”

 

“But there isn’t.” Yeri almost looks insane at just the mere idea of her flirting with someone else.

 

“Well, she doesn’t think that. She worries that when you guys aren’t together, you’re with someone else.

 

“But I’m not though.”

 

“Well,” Suhyun shrugs before slinking back to her cubicle. “Prove it to her.”

 

*

 

It was during the company lunch when the bolts and screws in Yeri’s mind start clicking. Kim Saeron was a very, very, very lovely girl and Yeri is not the only one who is after her heart. Saeron is already doing this hot and cold thing with her, and now there’s competition. This was getting to be harder than Yeri would have thought. But she was a smart girl, and she’s already got this all plan.

 

“So, Yeri, we're going to BB’s for drinks tonight, you’re gonna come, right?”

 

Saeron didn’t even bother to look at her.

 

“No, I can’t.”

 

“What?”

 

Yeri tries to keep her smile inside as she sees even Saeron looks so surprised at her answer.

 

“I have to coach my nieces' soccer game tomorrow, so yeah. I’m sorry guys. Next time.”

 

Bingo

 

Yeri lips spread in a sly smile as she sees the change in expression in Saeron’s face. The girl who was even too cold to bother is now slowly warming up to her.

 

*

 

“Yeri.”

 

Yeri’s lips curve into a half grin, and if she could give herself a highfive, she already would.

 

“Oh, Saeron,”

 

Saeron chases after her, a task too easy with the help of those long legs. “I didn’t know you coach your nieces' team?”

 

“Well, it’s not really something I share,” Yeri scratches her hair, pretending to be all embarrassed and stuff. It’s all about the little details for it to work.

 

“Well, I think it’s kind of cool. My little sisters are both in the little league, and it’s so adorable to see them try to score,” Saeron gushes and Yeri could swear she hadn’t seen anything this beautiful.

 

Saeron’s smile was so lovely it would put all the stars in the galaxies to shame.

 

“Yeah, my unnie and her wife have two girls, Jisoo is five but is like a little hustler, and then there’s Chaeyoung, who’s turning 4 and is the cutest thing in world. She’s just a little confused most of the time.”

 

“They sound so fun already.”

 

“They’re both nuts, I tell you.”

 

“Well, if you’re free tomorrow, maybe you would want to watch them play.”

 

“That sounds like a great idea! I would love too!”

 

“Cool.”

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Saeron turns around, giving Yeri a wave that was enough to make Yeri’s heart stop.

 

“You too!”

 

Yeri takes a sigh of relief; if she knew it was this easy to land Saeron, she would have done it months ago. All she had to do was look cool while the kids play soccer, how hard can that be, right?

 

*

 

“Okay, sunscreen, extra shirts check, baby wipes? Got it!”

 

Wendy was a woman on a mission. There she is in the trunk of their van, eyeing thetwo Disney Princess backpacks for their little girls. She had finished her list, and her furrowed brows are a sign of how serious she is taking this.

 

“Water bottles, Oh God…” Wendy’s eyebrows bobbed so high in panic.

“Babe!”

 

“What is it?”

 

She heard her wife yelling from inside the van.

 

“I only got the twenty-four pack of water bottles, do you think we have enough?”

 

Irene steps out of the van, just to give her wife an “are you kidding?” look on her face.

 

“Babe we're going to watch the girls play soccer, not go on a camping trip,” Irene says before stepping back inside the van.

 

“I know, but I can’t help but be prepared.”

 

“Sure!” Irene yells in reassurance as she shakes her head while strapping her mini-me in her car seat.

 

“Jisoo, don’t put the water bottle on your shoulder.”

 

“Oh! Should Chichoo put it on her nose?”

 

Irene snorts a laugh as she saw her little troublemaker placing her water bottle on her nose. She often wonders where her daughter got the little mischievous streak from, she and her wife never have that in them. Her mom pointed out that Yeri probably passes it on to her. As stress relieving it would be to have a prim and proper little girl, it sure would make their house less lively, and she wouldn’t have her baby Jisoo any other way.

 

“No, you silly.”

 

“In Chichoo ear?”

 

“Nope.”

 

Right beside her, Irene heard the cutest giggle ever and as she turns and saw her youngest with those fluffy cheeks just having the time of her life at her sister’s mischief.

 

“Chichoo unnie is so silly.”

 

Irene instantly smiles at the sound of the fluffiest voice ever, before pressing a kiss on those chubby cheeks.

 

“She is, isn’t she?”

 

Their baby girl nods happily in approval.

 

“Okay, I think I got everything,” Wendy steps up the driver’s seat. She turns around flashing a bright smile at their little girls. “Are my babies ready?”

 

“Yeah!!!!”

 

Irene and Wendy exchange smiles before they drive off. Gone were the days they sleep in on a Saturday morning. Gone were the days that they spent Saturday lazing around in bed, making love. Now Saturday and Sundays are all about soccer games and birthday parties. Saturdays, Sundays and all the days are about their little girls.

 

And as they listen to their babies happily sing the shark song in the backseat, they know they wouldn’t have it no other way.

 

*

 

“You little er,” Joy points out as she is lazing around in the beach chair, looking more like someone out sunbathing than the assistant coach for the little girls’ soccer team.

 

“Unnie, you should be happy I’m coaching the game for today, and all you do is just sit and chill there.”

 

“That doesn’t change the fact that you’re a hoe. Tsk tsk tsk Yeri using our nieces' soccer team to land a chick. It's not even coaching, you just basically stand there and watch them run back and forth. I don’t know whether to call you a genius or not.”

 

“Look unnie, you see it that way. I see it as being able to impress Saeron and at the same time, spend time with my nieces. That’s like two birds in one stone,” Yeri sighs heavily, gazing back at her clipboard when she feels the presence of perfection walking over to them. “! She’s here! She’s here! How do I look? How do I look?”

 

“Like a hoe in heat. Calm your , girl. Geez…” Joy says while taking a sip of her Capri Sun since alcohol is banned in a kids event.

 

“Saeron, hey…”

 

Joy just gave Yeri the biggest eye roll in the universe; all this fake sweet is so not the savage Yeri they know.

 

“Hi! I’m not late, am I?”

 

“What no, no, not at all. Here,” Yeri shoves Joy out of the chair and Joy was too shocked that she didn’t have the time to exact revenge. “Joy unnie is warming the seat for you.”

 

Joy was ready to bite back, but quickly shuts . Instead, she smiles happily before extending her hand to shake.

 

“Hi, I’m Joy.”

 

"Saeron.”

 

“Nice to meet you,” Joy says before casting a dark glare towards Yeri’s direction.

 

You’re dead, you little .

 

And her lips curve in a devilish smirk as she sees the picturesque, happy Son-Bae family coming over to them.

 

“Aunt Yeri!”

 

“Oh, there’s my nieces,” Yeri says so sweetly, Joy almost gagged. Saeron instantly gushes at the two cutie pies heading their way.

 

“Aunt Yeri! Give Chichoo money!” Jisoo just yells out.

 

Yeri’s lips quickly twitches as Jisoo screams it out to the entire soccer field.

 

“Aunt Yeri!” Jisoo starts flailing Yeri’s hand, “Give Chichoo money, and I’ll sleep now.”

 

“W-what? You silly girl, what are you talking about?” Yeri’s smile is quirking faster by the second.

 

“When you go to my house, you give Chichoo money if I sleep. So, if I-“

 

“You silly kid, you!” Yeri grabs her niece and ruffles her hair excitedly hoping to distract Jisoo’s from making her look like she hustles a child to get her to sleep. “This is Jisoo,”

 

Yeri introduces her niece to hopefully if she didn’t scare her off, her future auntie in law.

 

“And this cutie right here is our Chaeyoungie.”

 

“Oh!” Chaeyoung jumps in excitement while pointing at Saeron. “She’s the pretty girl on your phone!”

 

“Ah,” Saeron’s expression change in confusion.

 

Yeri wonders how she even manages to smile then when her own nieces. Her own flesh and blood just savagely slandering her like this.

 

This day is off to a rocky start. She could practically hear Joy cackling from the depths of hell.

 

“It’s so nice to see you coach the girls, Yeri,” Her Wendy unnie says before putting up two lawn chairs for her and her wife. But her Irene unnie doesn’t look as trusting as she saw her narrow her eyes.

 

“I don’t know what you’re doing, Yeri-“

 

“It’s going to be fine, unnie. Calm down. I’m a better coach than Joy unnie.”

 

“Excuse you?”

 

“Oh wow,” Saeron says as she sees the almond-eyed beauty who looks like she would fit more in a k drama than a soccer field walking over to them. Yeri looks up and sees her Seulgi unnie with little Jennie. Her Seulgi unnie is the hot, single mom that most soccer dads and some soccer moms check out.

 

Yeri always wonders why someone as smiley as Seulgi ended up with a daughter who has a resting face at the age of four.

 

Jennie looks like she is ready to raise hell for making her wake up that early on a Saturday to kick a little ball inside a net.

 

She doesn’t blame her at all.

 

“Sorry we're late,” Seulgi says with a sleepy looking Jennie in tow. “Jennie was asleep.”

 

“You were asleep too,” Jennie points out at her mom.

 

Joy and Yeri shared a snicker, while Joohyun and Wendy were both too polite to laugh at their faces.

 

They made it just in time, as the referee blows their whistle, signaling that the game is about to start.

 

“Alright girls! Remember what’s the most important thing when we play?!” Yeri gives the girls the pep talk.

 

“YES!”

 

“And that is?”

 

“TO HAVE FUN!”

 

“TO WI- I meant to have fun,” Yeri shuts , hoping Saeron didn’t catch it. “Yes. Yes… that’s what I meant. Do your best out there! Highfive Jisoo!”

 

“Give me money!”

 

“Forget it,” Yeri pulls out before she owed the little some money. “High five Lisa!”

 

“HIHI!” The lanky little girl said.

 

“Okay, that’s cool, Lisa.”

 

“You have to say it too, coach!”

 

Not in a million years…

 

Yeri chuckles softly, “It’s alright.”

 

“Say it! Say it! It’s easy! HIHI!” Lisa demonstrated, framing her cute, little head between her hands as she says it.

 

“Hahaha,” Yeri's laugh, sounded more like a wheezing asthmatic.

 

“What are you doing, Yeri?” Joy says from behind. “Lisa can’t go play without you saying it.”

 

“Ahhhh…” Yeri looks at Saeron, who is gazing at her with such amusement.

 

“Okay,”

 

Lisa starts excitedly jumping that would make the Energizer Bunny look like a lazy bum.

 

“One, two, three,”

 

“HIHI!”

 

Lisa roars happily while Yeri almost keels down in embarrassment.

 

“Highfive Chaeyoungie.”

 

“Five? But I’m just three,” Chaeyoung corrected her aunt, raising four fingers.

 

“Okay fine! Highfive Jennie!” Yeri raises her hand, but even at 4, Jennie has too much swag to pass around highfives. So, she walks away, leaving her aunt high and dry.

 

“Little …” Yeri says between her hiss.

 

Saeron looks in dismay at Yeri’s words.

 

“I meant little star! You go my little stars!”

 

“Capri Sun?”

 

Yeri didn’t even have the strength to thank Joy, as she out every drop of that juice. What she really wanted is something alcoholic, something strong but that would have to wait.

 

She has a soccer game to win.

 

But if Yeri thinks that it ends there, then she’s dead wrong because as soon as the ref blows the whistle again, chaos started.

 

*

 

“Jisoo! Stop balancing the water bottle on your shoulder!”

 

*

 

“I DID IT!” Chaeyoung screams in her fluffy voice that anyone couldn’t help but coos at the adorable little girl. Unfortunately, everyone on their team looks at Wendy and Irene with so much judgment. Both moms gazing anywhere else but the field.

 

“Mama! I scored!”

 

“Wrong goal, honey.”

 

“Oh,” Chaeyoung giggles cutely that it was hard not to forgive her. “Oops.”

 

*

 

“Jennie, you have to run, baby, run to get the ball,” Seulgi screams out.

 

But Jennie just continues walking at her own pace. She was about to go to the other direction when the entire team was already coming back and she just turns around and walks towards them.

 

“Hi, Jennie!” The rabbit tooth girl from the other team waves her hand a little too enthusiastically for Jennie’s taste. It was little Nayeon from ballet class.

 

“I think my daddy likes your mommy.”

 

Jennie turns and her eyes narrow as she sees the tall man getting too close to her mommy.

 

“No.”

 

“What?” Nayeon asks.

 

“I said no!” Jennie reacts before running to grab the ball. “My ball!”

 

Seulgi turns away from Jaebum and gasps out loud as she sees her daughter running towards them with a soccer ball in her little hands.

 

“AND MY MOMMY!” She runs and throws the ball straight at Jaebom, unfortunately for him, Jennie could only throw it to a place where it’s guaranteed to hurt for a long while.

 

*

 

“Ow!” Jisoo says as the ball hit her head, but instead of crying for her mommy like a typical five years old. Jisoo starts twirling around before falling on the field.

 

“I’m dead,” Jisoo says cutely while splat on the field.

 

“What?!”

 

“I’m dead. Chichoo dead,” Jisoo even stick out her tongue to further prove her point that she’s dead.

 

Yeri covers her face, hoping to muffle the curses slipping like a God Damn rap song off her lips. Irene and Wendy exchanged looks, wondering which parent is brave enough to take on their little troublemaker. Wendy took in a deep sigh and runs to the field over to their eldest.

 

“Baby, don’t say that,” Wendy says, kneeling down to her eldest. “Mommy Wendy and Mommy Hyunnie is gonna be so sad, if baby Jisoo is gone.”

 

“I can’t say anything, I’m dead.”

 

Yeri takes a huge gasp of breath. She looks up at the sky and asks God what she had done so bad, was she a serial killer? A mass murderer? To be forsaken like this.

 

“Your niece is too cute.” Saeron continues to gush on the displays of cuteness everywhere.

 

“You can have her.”

 

*

 

But Wendy and Irene’s youngest reacts a little too differently and a little too dramatically as she trips on air and fell on the grass. Irene didn't even waste a single second as she runs over to the field.

 

“Oh my God, my baby!” Irene gasps worriedly, Wendy rolls her eyes at how her wife is reacting. “Ref! Ref! Can you call a timeout? My baby is injured.”

 

“Really Irene? I thought you want her to be tough?”

 

“She’s injured, Wen.”

 

Wendy could only chuckle as she watches her wife cooing at their youngest. 

 

“It’s okay my baby, mama is here.”

 

“I don’t want to pway anymore,” Chaeyoung says tearfully, shaking her head before burrowing her face in her mommy’s neck.

 

“You don’t have to my baby princess,” Irene promises while peppering Chaeyoung with sweet kisses.

 

“You can’t do that unnie, she has to play.”

 

“Didn’t you see? She got injured.”

 

“By what? The air?!” Yeri says before casting a glance over Saeron’s direction. The pretty girl looks like she’s having the time of her life, giggling happily at everything that ensues.

 

“I hurt myself.” Chaeyoung pointed out to a non existent scratch.

 

“Poor Chaeyoungie,” Yeri says.

 

*

 

But it doesn’t end there…

 

Because here was Jennie who looks so done with the game and is already walking out of the field, straight to her mommy.

 

“What are you doing, Jennie?” Yeri says.

 

Jennie looks up at her like it’s the most ridiculous question in the history of mankind.

 

“It’s hot.” Jennie points out the obvious while burrowing next to her mommy.

 

Yeri just responded with the biggest groan, before shaking her head, mentally pumping herself up by chanting…

 

Do it for Saeron…

 

Do it for Saeron…

 

Do it for Saeron…

 

“You have to go back there, Jennie,” Yeri gives Jennie the biggest smile she could fake at that moment “Our team is going to lose.”

 

“There’s another game next week.” Jennie answers who looks more content, as her mom pampers her, wiping her sweat and giving her capri sun.

 

“If you go back there, I’ll get you chocolate.”

 

“I don’t like chocolate.”

 

“What?” Yeri says in dismay before looking at Seulgi in disappointment.

 

“Fine. How about we have a pizza party after?”

 

“I don’t like pizza either.” Jennie mumbles.

 

This motherer…

 

Seulgi leans over and whispers the one thing that could make Jennie finally move.

 

“Oh. Hey. Hey, Jennie if you go and play I will buy you Milk Ice Cream.”

 

Jennie looks up at her mother as if giving her the “you betrayed me” look.

 

“Just go over and play for a little bit more baby,” Seulgi says. “Then, we could go and watch Beauty and the Beast again.”

 

“You promise?”

 

Seulgi raises her pinky, linking their pinkies together.

 

“I promise.”

 

“Fine.”

 

Jennie went back to the field and in less than 10 seconds, stole the ball, run all the way to the opposite goal and scored just in time before the referee blew the whistle.

 

“Make em whistle like a missile, bomb! Bomb!”

 

“That’s enough, Jisoo. Time to go home!”

 

*

 

“So, that’s my family, right there,” Yeri sighs in defeat before sipping up the rest of what’s left of the Capri Sun, before digging into the cooler and offering Saeron one. “Crazy, huh?”

 

It was almost like an entirely different place, instead of giggles and little kids playing soccer, the entire field is now empty. It was quite peaceful and the place looks almost picturesque and Yeri couldn’t imagine anything this dreamy. A gorgeous field and a gorgeous girl next to her.

 

“They are. I have something to say by the way,” Saeron whispers sheepishly, her face pouting adorably.

 

“What?”

 

“I really tried to avoid you. Cause you know, you’re like so smooth and so cool and I knew you’re going to be heartbreaker. But then, I heard you talk about your nieces and I saw the way that you are with them.” Saeron chuckles as she recalls the memory. “They drive you nuts, but I could tell that you love them so much. They look so fun. They’re still babies but you could already tell their little personalities.”

 

Yeri just smiles as the memories of the little girls' starts to drift in her mind.

 

She could almost still feel the excitement in the room when her Irene unnie announces that she and Wendy are going to have a baby. Everyone was either crying or laughing in excitement. Nobody deserves it more than these two and everyone is just so happy to finally witness this chapter in their lives.

 

Everyone treated Irene like a queen those nine months. It was the gang's first baby and everyone knows how spoiled this little girl is going to be. The moment that Jisoo is born, looking every inch like Irene it was love at first sight. She could still picture Wendy's face as she held Jisoo for the first time, cooing and promising to love her forever.  

 

She could still feel the heartbreak when her Seulgi unnie tearfully announces that she was pregnant. The dad, handsome but a douchebag refuses to take responsibility. The bastard preferred to chase after his dreams than raise a family, even offering Seulgi the money to “take care” of their mistake. But their Seulgi unnie was much tougher than they all thought. Their Seulgi unnie who was on her way to becoming a top choreographer have to put her dream on hold to have her baby. It was a push and pull until the guy gave Seulgi an ultimatum, me or the baby.

 

Seulgi didn’t even have to think twice and finished packing her bags before the guy could even let out a breath.

 

She remembered how both happy and melancholic it was when Jennie was born, but it was her Joy unnie who whispered to the sleeping Jennie,

 

You don’t need a dad, you have five moms.

 

She never for once saw Seulgi looks back at the past with regret. Instead, she had never seen her Seulgi unnie so happy as she dotes and plays with Jennie. She could have been a top choreographer by now instead of teaching dance in a dancing school. But Yeri knows that when Seulgi looks so lovingly at Jennie, she knew she wouldn’t have it any other way.

 

She remembered how difficult it was when Wendy was carrying Chaeyoung. How the excitement of having their little baby quickly turned into fear. Their doctor looking more hopeless than hopeful but their Wendy unnie whose always so bright and loving remained strong. She faces everyone with a bright smile despite everyone looking at her with such pity.

 

She remembered how Irene never left Wendy’s side. Her older sister looks at Wendy with such love, and she knew that if her Irene unnie could take away Wendy's pain she would have already. Yeri believed in true love right then and there. They almost lost Chaeyoung, the baby came out without any signs of life. The doctor was almost ready to declare her dead and by some miracle when Wendy held her, Chaeyoung started to move and started crying.

 

That’s why she understands why both Irene and Wendy dotes on baby Chaeyoung. Their fluffy baby girl who looks so full of life was nearly taken away from them. Their life would be so empty without their little Chaeyoungie.

 

And now look at those little girls. It was amazing to watch them grow, to see them crawl, wobble and now run to play soccer. It was cute how from babies, she heard them mumble and cry and now look at them, even hustling for her money.

 

And now as Yeri looks at it, she couldn’t help but smile both in happiness and longing. Now she understood why her unnies always say that their babies are growing up too fast because look at them now? Who knows what could happen in a few years?

 

“Thanks,” Yeri says, more genuinely than ever before.

 

“For what?”

 

“For making me spend time with my family.”

 

Yeri sees Saeron casting her gaze at the grass and Yeri could swear she saw a light tinge on her cheeks.

 

“You’re welcome.” Saeron turns to Yeri, giving her a naughty half smirk. “Maybe we could babysit the girls sometimes?”

 

Yeri just answers back with an equally naughty smirk.

 

“We should.”

 

And with this gorgeous field and the girl of her dreams by her side, she knows that she wouldn’t want this any other way.

 

The End

 

A/N I hope you guys enjoy! Have a great week ahead!

 

Do you guys want to see more of this crazy kids?