the first, the last.

your universe

It was very faint, but she heard a familiar revving of a familiar motorcycle draw nearer. Kyungwon fully wakes, and the clunky and obnoxious noise of the vehicle’s engine shook the butterflies in her stomach awake as well.

 

She notices the familiar feeling settling at her gut and she thinks herself pathetic— she admits to herself that she was acting pathetic. All because of love, that is. Love, and a stupid girl with her stupid motorcycle, her stupid failing mark in Chemistry (yet a nearly perfect one in Literature), her stupid name and not to mention that stupidly attractive look she gives her right before she's to inch in and give her a kiss.

 

Kyungwon catches herself blushing madly at the mere thought.  Her hands raise to her cheeks, delicate fingertips patting against the then crimson-tainted skin, in some futile attempt to calm them down. She didn't want Minkyung to find out how giddy she made her feel, and Minkyung never did have the slightest idea of how giddy she made Kyungwon feel. The only thing evident was how Minkyung loved Kyungwon dearly.

 

Kyungwon places her hands on the window sill and peeks out; Minkyung sees her and gives her the kind of smile that makes her knees buckle without fail. From Kyungwon’s point of view, she thinks Minkyung’s teeth perfectly straight, perfectly white— and she wonders how she keeps them that way despite her awful smoking habits. Or at least, her used-to-be awful smoking habit; after all, she swears she has a new addiction now.

 

The thought is dismissed not too long after, though, as Minkyung waves her hand; Kyungwon thinks it’s either her attempting to snap her out of her trance or her beckoning her over, for an adventure. It was most likely the latter since her subsequent action was to tap her feet, annoyed, against the pavement and a tap on the unnecessarily big Rolex that clung around her wrist. She nods weakly, and she flickers her gaze someplace else as she waits.

 

Kyungwon walks towards her roommate, Eunwoo, who is fast asleep on the upper bunk, and gives her the most platonic peck on the cheek, thereafter whispering in a nearly inaudible fashion, "please don't tell the dorm master I'm sneaking out again."

 

Eunwoo doesn't reply, and honestly Kyungwon was expecting that– so she wonders why she even asked in the first place. For good measures, she assures herself, thinking her sanity complacent.

 

She exits the room and floats down the flights of stairs, making not a single sound. Her ability to be silent in these situations was always something she was proud of.

 

She treads towards the door and pushes it open, peeking her head through the gap initially made. She sees Minkyung idly standing there, but her gaze doesn't catch sight of Kyungwon instantly— and this gives Kyungwon a few wordless moments to admire the current love of her frustrated midnight tutoring sessions and coffee shop weekends life.

 

She finally notices Kyungwon presence, and seeing her peeking out of the door in the manner which she did was enough to make her smile. "Come here, silly," there's no reason to be whispering, but the way she does it heightens Kyungwon’s excitement of what was to come on that night.

 

Kyungwon gravitates towards her, and Minkyung tries her utmost not to wrap her arms around her frame instantly. Her smooth, sizable (at least in comparison to Kyungwon’s) hands, hungry for nothing else but to hold hers, slip into the pockets of her denim jacket, as they exchange their sort of comfortable silence.

 

"Where to tonight, captain?" It was an old joke between the two of them, how Minkyung was the captain and she was the first mate and they were always out and in search of different adventures. It was childish, Minkyung always thought. But Kyungwon is childish. And she loves Kyungwon.

 

"Just hop on."

 

Kyungwon never appreciates how vague Minkyung is at times, but tonight she chooses to comply without fussing. She gets on the motorcycle, exactly like how she has many times before, and looks at the red-haired girl expectantly. Minkyung mounts the motorcycle as well, and Kyungwon arms wind around Minkyung’s slender torso, clinging tightly for her dear life (onto her dear life).

 

Kyungwon thinks she'll never get used to riding Minkyung’s primary means of transportation, but she guesses she'll have to get used to it sooner or later— just like how she eased herself into the unlikeliness of her falling in love with Minkyung in the first place. After all, she never liked thrilling things. But there she was now, putting her life in the hands of person who's pretty much the pinnacle of "thrilling". She clings tighter, and Minkyung doesn't question it.

 

Minkyung finally slows the vehicle down, eventually bringing it to a complete stop. Kyungwon raises her head, brushing back the stray strands of her bright blonde hair back into place. Afterwards, she looked around.

 

"Where are you taking me, Kim Minkyung?" Her voice is demanding but playful, simultaneously so. Minkyung turns her head and glances deep into her dark chocolate irises, and a corner of her lips turns upward into a smirk, just as playful. She kicks down the stand of the motorcycle and sets the vehicle down, proceeding to unmount it. Kyungwon does the same thereafter.

Kyungwon looks around and instantly recognizes that this is a part of Seoul she’s probably never been in. It looked nothing luxurious, nothing like the area around where she resided, in the dorms and right next to the university. The street was dimly lit, by a lone streetlamp on the corner of the street-- it was almost sketchy, really. But she feels Minkyung’s arm wind around her own, and her fingers slide in between hers, holding onto it with a kind of reassuring grasp. And at that moment, all of the fears brewing in Kyungwon’s head were pushed away. Minkyung always made her feel safe.

They walk along a few steps, in the direction of what seemed to be an apartment complex. It’s been a while since Kyungwon has seen one of these. The outer walls’ paint was chipping off, giving light to how old the establishment probably was. Kyungwon turns her head and squints her eyes at Minkyung, muttering, “where are you taking me?”

There was a short silence between them, nothing but their footsteps against the cold pavement filling in for it, before Minkyung flashed a toothy smile, and retracted her free hand from inside her pocket to point upwards. She wiggles that finger briefly before turning her head to return Kyungwon’s gaze, her voice huskier than it is usually, “up.”

And Kyungwon blushes because that could mean a whole plethora of things, especially since it was coming from Kim Minkyung. She’s flustered, and Minkyung could tell by how she immediately raked her gaze away, and how her nose scrunched up out of mannerism. Minkyung finds this cute, and so she laughs.

“The rooftop here provides a pretty good view, you ert.” She further teases her, reaching into her back pocket for the keys. The apartment complex was so ancient that its front door had to be unlocked by means of a key. And Kyungwon finds it funny, but suppresses her laughter, in her lips and biting down on them.

Once she had unlocked the door, they stepped in at the same time. Minkyung closed the door behind them, before proceeding to drag Kyungwon along to the elevators. Looking around, Kyungwon finds that it doesn’t look as bad as she expected it to be-- there were even functioning elevators. Despite that, the wallpaper dangling, clinging on for dear life,  from the concrete walls still rendered the place unsettling.

They hop on the lift once the doors part, and Minkyung presses the button that would take them to the roof top. Minkyung looks at her from the corner of her eyes, only to see Kyungwon doing the same. She smiles slyly, and Minkyung misinterprets that thin-lipped smile of hers.

“Why does it seem like you always think I have bad intentions against you, huh, Kang Kyungwon?”

Kyungwon is taken aback at the sudden question, but she couldn’t help but laugh, “because you probably do.” And that witty response silences Minkyung for the rest of the elevator ride, while Kyungwon sports a triumphant smile, knowing that she had the power to fluster Minkyung like how she always does to her.

Both of them are watching the LED indicator which flashed which floor they were on, as if keeping their gazes there would make the elevator rise faster. Once the doors open for them, the sight which was presented before the both of them was, simply put, breath-taking. Literally, Kyungwon forgot to breathe for a few moments.

The height of the apartment complex was not even comparable to the towering skyscrapers around the area, but it was tall enough to provide a perfect view of the city lights of Seoul, and how it met with the star-clad sky. The moon was out, but only barely-- clouds surrounded it, but its strong luminescence managed to seep through.

Kyungwon mindlessly let go of Minkyung’s hand. She took steps forth, hands moving to clamp against each other behind her back as she raised her chin, inhaling sharply at the same time. Minkyung maintains her space, standing about two feet behind the girl who was obviously in awe.

“It’s so pretty!” She exclaimed, twisting her body a tad for her to be facing Minkyung again. And in that instance, Minkyung swore her eyes shone brighter than the city lights behind her-- really, in the girl’s mind, those lights were no competition to that twinkle in her eye that she’s no stranger to. Minkyung smiles giddily, and nods her head.

“And there you were, thinking that I was planning something erted again. Tsk. You’re the only one with weird thoughts.”

Kyungwon her heel, rolling her eyes as she dragged her feet along the floor, her hands raising to hold onto her cheeks as soon as they were in her reach. She bit on her lower lip as she pushed her thumbs down against the fat in Minkyung’s cheeks, attempting to stifle that smile of hers which was only just widening. “Who knew you were such a romantic. Ah, I never would have known.” She cooed in a teasing manner, continuing with playing around with her face.

And there it was, Minkyung’s stupidly attractive smile. Minkyung wraps her fingers around hers and pulls it down, slowly, as she inches in, nearer and nearer to Kyungwon’s face, ridding of the space in between their lips. She melds her lips against Kyungwon’s, the corner of pulling up into a small smile as she feels her laughter right in between their subtle intimacy, followed by her abruptly pulling away. She wrinkles up her nose, and sets her hands on Minkyung’s shoulders, patting their firmness. Thereafter, she proceeds to give Minkyung a powerful push. She loses her balance and stumbles back, falling on her bottom.

Minkyung looks up at Kyungwon, with her brows knit together in annoyance. And the girl, in response, just chuckles, her laugh boisterous and obnoxious and probably loud enough to wake up those at the floor right underneath them. If this was just anyone, Minkyung would probably tell them to shut the up-- but no, this was Kyungwon. So she laughed along.

Kyungwon positions herself next to Minkyung, not caring how dirty the floor probably was, leaning ever so slightly against her. They spent the night gazing at the city lights and counting the cars that zoomed by the nearly empty streets. Minkyung attempted to point out constellations out of the stars, only to be laughed at by Kyungwon whenever she got them wrong. They fell asleep in each other's arms, with limbs wrapped around each other-- like puzzle pieces with no other snug fit but each other. They spent the night like that, as if they didn't have school the following day. But that was okay-- this is just how they are.