Finalè

Testing Times
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

57 BC.

 



Is the time where the three mighty Kingdoms resurfaced and divided the land situated on the East of the Asian continent.



Kingdom Goguryeo.



Kingdom Baekjae.



Kingdom Silla.



Lead by contrasting Kings with clashing notions, it was no surprise that it culminated to a horrific event that disturbed the whole land of Korea.



A war was engaged by the three Kingdoms to perceive who among them is worthy to rule the land.



Chaos ensured.



It was madness.
 

 



    《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》

 




Deep inside the forest where collosal trees are situated in and a stream of river flowing down the bayou, stand tall a shack where a family of four are living harmonously.



Living off through planting crops and poultry, it was enough for the family to survive the treacherous monarchy they are in currently in.



Aside for the constant nagging feeling at the back of her mind, Kim TaeYeon is thankful for being part of their family, her family.



It was never a clandestine to them that she is an abandoned child at the doorstep, infact it was often their topic on the dining table to assure herself and compel the negative thoughts she have away.



She just finished harvesting cabbages from their small farm when she heard gun shots from the market near the forest.



With accelerating heart, she drops the basket she is holding before sprinting her way inside their shack but without stumbling on her feet for several times.




She shouts on top of her lungs for her kins to run into the woods but seeing that no one is inside their small household, she kicks the nearby furniture, recalling that they are in the city to familiarize themselves on the changing area, before dashing out of the forest to find them.




-
 



It was a nightmare.



She wishes hard that it was just a nightmare and that any moment now, her sister will pinch her nose to wake her up from the misery she is in.



One minute.



A minute passed but still, the nauseating view infront of her is still there, mocking her.


It was a bloody mess, the place is.



Royal guards piercing through the mass of people in the emporium, stabbing men from left to right, abducting poignant women and children, and stealing valuables from houses to houses.



She can hear the desperate calls of help but as much as TaeYeon wants to aid in their needs, she has a reason for entering the lion's den, and that is to find them.



Discretly going through stalls, she manages to enter the place her Father oftens to whenever he goes out, and there, she finds her Mother and Sister, curled in the dark corner of the empty room.



She wants to cry out in vain, her Mother who is almost , arms wrapped around her sister's body, shivering perhaps from the cold or from crying. Her sister, however is calm and quiet, and she wishes that she feels the same way like her to get through this madness.



She walks silently as not to startle either of them, but as she walks closer, she knows now why her Mother is shivering.



She is not cold from the weather, but she is crying stifly, caressing softly the face of her beloved sister that is pale, too pale. And that is just when she sees the blood on the floor, flowing from the chest of the person in her Mother's embrace.



Placing her hand on , she surppressed a cry from the base of . She is in deep agony. Her sister, the one who made her believe that the Anarchy is not as cruel as she views it, is the same person bleeding profusely, probably from one of those damn swords of those damn Royal guards.


She was an inch away from her Mother when she said something,



"Mother, we need to go."



Freezing, her Mother cautiously looks at her, face full of anguish, distress, and torment. Seeing her in deep grief, she just wants to drag her Mother out this cruel place, erase all the worries she have because she does not deserve this, her Mother does not deserve to experience this.



"Mother, we need to find Father. Please. We need to get out of here." She kneels infront of them, tugging her Mother's hand which is tightly holding her sister's arms.



"T--Taeyeon-ah, H--He is gone. Your Father is gone." Her Mother touches her face with her bloodied hands, "T--They killed him. They killed your Father infront of me." Whimpering, she embrasses TaeYeon tightly.



To find out both of the ones you deeply cared being slaughtered is enough for her to die inside, 'being killed feels more enticing than this.' But now it is up to her to save the both of them.



Gathering negative thoughts on her mind to throw against the wind, she gently pulls her Mother to her feet to lead her outside.



Just after they had taken their first step, an armed guard found them. Shouting for the others, he looks at her before turning to her Mother, smirking.



Seeing this, she pulls her trembling Mother to her back, blocking the guard's view. She stands tall, 'I will lead her to safety, or I will die trying.'



"You got the nerve, I'll give it to you." The guard takes a few steps, "But in this world, courage is something you need to forget." He takes a handful of her hair, lifting her up. "You are pretty good-looking, The King will surely have abundant fun with you."



That was the last thing she heard before she lost consciousness.

 



 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》

 



The war ceased.



Deathly hollows of wind blowing through the land of the East of Asia. It was serene how the place full of inhumane violence is now as peaceful as the blue night where it all began.



Humanity. It is such a sad thought how the they view the world as a feeding ground in which they grow their own selfish wants. They yearned for more, more than the world could offer. Sees themselves as Gods of the land whose mightier than the God himself.



Unity does not touch either their hearts nor minds, the humanity that all thought was, is not the same anymore.



Arising of the early sun, providing warmth and light to the world. A sign of another chance to change the world, and it did. Change is coming, but it was the change that everyone is petrified of.



Between the wars of the Kingdoms, one reigns.



One Kingdom who deemed superior. One Kingdom to rule the whole land. One Kingdom to predict the chance of survival.



Trechearous. Ruthless. Cynical.



Words they described the current Ruler. That he was, and more.



It was no doubt that against all odds, the victory was taken by them.



The smallest of the Kingdom now rules the land with an iron fist of the Emperor named Hwarang Kim.



It was set to start the prophecy.



A prophecy in which could save humanity in their land against the domineering self of the King.




 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》




Kim TaeYeon was never been religious. She never believed that there is a supreme being watching over the clouds, judging how you act. Why would she, when all she knew is there are these Barons puffed up with vanity?



Kim TaeYeon never believed in God, but she prays hard to whoever is out there, to save her from the hellhole she is in.



All she remembers is her Mother, the only one she have as of now, the Royal Guard. And that is it.



She woke up in a cramped up place, with all these women in the same state as her. 'Scared and lonely.'



They made them clean themselves up, gave them white linen nightdresses to cover their bruised bodies and locked them in a hollow four cornered room.



It was cold. They may be more than tenths inside yet none of their presence can stop the quivering of her body.



It was hard. The walls, the ground, is but neither those are conspicuous, her state of living is.



A goddamn concubine. How on earth can TaeYeon accept her setting, if any second now, the King may summon her in his chamber.



She curls herself like a crumpled flower in a catasthrophe. A whirlwind of thoughts keep spiralling around her head that lull her into slumber.

 

-



She was awakened by a rough shove from one of the armoured soldier, hauling her by her arm, she is being drag out of the cell.



'This is it.' TaeYeon thought. She lifelessly follow the guard, taking heavy steps onto the narrow corridor of the Palace.



Keeping in mind the path they are taking, she tremble slighly at the large potrait of the king.

 

'King Hwarang'

 

Her blood boils reading his lousy name attached below the portrait.

 

A hard shove that almost made her fall, made her look ahead. Grunting, she pulls her arm out of his vice grip, but receives a hard blow from the Royal Guard.

 

The grip becomes more tighter while they stride along the aisle of Golden trinkets but without being threatened to be beaten if she attemps to do it again.

 

They halt infront of a huge wooden door. Knocking, the Royal Guard shoves her inside once it was opened.

 

Falling on the marbled floor of the chamber, she grumbles a profanity before standing up.

 

As forseen from the King, he lives up to what is foretold to a commoner like her.

 

A King-sized bed, a long leathered upholstered furniture, intricate paintings hanging on the beige walls, and oh! How can we forget the stash of gold! 

 

"Your Majesty will arrive in his chamber soon, I suggest you prepare as he does not favor waiting." The Old Lady said in her black and white trim one-piece dress whith white half-apron and a lace headpiece.

 

"You poor thing, so young yet here you are," The Lady walks to her, "Just do what he says and you will be alright." Patting the top of TaeYeon's head, she departs the room with a small thud.

 

Strangely, the kind Lady reminds her of her own Mother. A familiar feeling starts to creep up, but her musing comes to an end when she hears the creaking of the wooden door.

 

There stood the Mighty King of the South. With his manly features accompanying his strong presence.

 

Her brain had shut down. She is clammy and there is the glisten of cold sweat. Her eyes shows great fear to the figure in front.

 

Every step he take makes the bits of her shatter,

 

one step  two steps  three steps  four steps

 

stop.

 

He is now infront of her, taking in everything that the girl will offer him. she is young, yet it does not make him any less guilty, infact he is more than glad that this fine lady will be his for tonight.

 

Taking a whiff of the girl, he lift up her head. Burrying his rough hand in her silky black hair, the King clashes his mouth against hers.

 

It was tortorous, a slow, painful excrusion. He has this pungent smell. She can taste him on and she loathes it. His rough mouth and biting hers as he lead her to his bed.

 

She whimpers since it is thing that she could do at this moment as he roams his disgusting hands around her body.

 

A tear falls down from her eye as she wishes this torment to end. She wants to push him off her, to get his awful smell away from her, to kill him. But she can not. She does not have the courage nor the strength to act on what she wants. And she hates it. She detest that fact.

 

But it stopped.

 

Before she knows it, she was being lead by the same Lady to her quaters. She told her that she is fortunate that he made her the new Personal Maid of the crowned Princess.

 

She only understands what had transpired when she hears the door closing.

 

The King. He was supposed to be ruthless, he is the devil himself, so why would he let her go?

 

 

 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》 《》

 

 

She stands up quickly to open the door as she hears the constant knocking from the outside.

 

The Lady, Mrs. Kang, apologized for not introducing herself earlier, tells her that the Princess wants TaeYeon to present herself in order to assess if she is capable to do the tasks.

 

She fixes her hair with the use of her bare hands, straightens up her white linen dress to look at least presentable.

 

Mrs. Kang leads her to the Princess' chambers reminding her of what should be done and assures her that the Princess is nothing like the King.

 

That did not make her feel better as she almost lost her innocence the fortnight, and trusting any Royalty does not sit well to her. 'All are they is the same.'

 

The Lady stops infront of a metal door, knocking before entering.

 

'Metal door.' She asks herself.

 

Mrs. Kang motions her to enter, looking at re the ground, she walks inside, greeting the Princess with a bow out of curtsy.

 

A husky voice broke out out of nowhere which startled TaeYeon out of her wist.


"Mrs. Kang, would you kindly give this Lady a nice bath and warm clothing and would you please treat her injuries?"



That made all of her negative thoughts about Royalties flush down the drain. She freezes as she cannot apprehend why the Princess speaks that way also, 'Why does she care about me?'



"Yes, Your Highness. We will take our leave now."



"Bring her to me after, Mrs. Kang."



"As you wish, Princess."



Mrs. Kang drags her out of the room before she can even get a glance at the intriguing Princess.



Mrs. Kang does as what she was told, from helping her with her bath to treating her wounds. She does it so caringly that it warms her heart, to be treated so well by someone does.



"She-- the Princess, I mean. Is she always that--?"



"That kind?" The Lady helps the struggling person she is currently attending to.



"Yes, Is she always like that, Mrs. Kang?"



Putting down the cloth she used to wipe off the blood from the cuts, Mrs. Kang then taps the injuries lightly. "The Princess has a heart in the right place."



With that she leads TaeYeon to the Princess, tells her not to forget to bow in respect before leaving her in front of the steel door.



She knocks thrice before opening it revealing the Princess in her glory.



Before we can comprehend beyond what our eyes tells us, our body infinitely responds; irratically beating hearts, rushing fluids of veins, stranggled breathing and much more.



Ever so often, meeting someone that triggers these reactions leads to fondness until it reaches it's peak. Varying all of us, this may seem too far fetched but it happens to certain occassions.



And it did strike her hard.



She stood in her bare from clothing; helpless, exposed, vulnerable. Her hair flowing down to her fair skin, that stops just below her ample front. Her petite waist contrasting to her broad pelvis emphasizing her ravishing figure.



"Young Maiden, I need help with my corset, would you lend me a hand?" The Princess stares at the person in front with amusement.



Suppressing herself to knock the living lights out of her, she takes careful steps to the Royalty, aiding her with quavering hands.



The Princess lets out a small giggle, delightful at the dainty being in her space.



Letting the damsel take a sit on the fine chair, she plop down on her bed, scrutinizing bits of information about her.



"Where are you from, Maiden?"



Looking up to the Princess, restraining herself to express her admiration to her physique, "I, TaeYeon Kim, from the Northern Hemisphere of the land." Then winced at her choice of words.



"Ah, Do not be too formal. Father is not here, is he not?" Giving a small smile she proceed, "Tell me about yourself, Lady Kim."



Too stuned to speak, she arch her head downwards. 'Do not cower, she is not what you think she is.'

"If I do the same, would you follow, Lady Kim?" Insisting to know her Personal Maiden, she did not mind the disrespecting act that TaeYeon is behaving.



Head raising, she gives a small nod to the Princess.



"I am Princess Stephanie of Kingdom Silla, the crowned ruler of the land. Daughter of King Hwarang and Queen Hyo-rin on the first night of the 8th season." The Princess gives an encouraging smile to the latter, telling her that it is her time to introduce herself.



"I am Kim TaeYeon from the North. An orphan. Kind people took me in and became my family. I had a wonderful Sister, Mother, and Father. They... died on the war." TaeYeon then cannot decipher why she said it all to the Princess, was it because she made her feel something she had never felt before?



"I am truly sorry to hear that." Leaning towards the Maiden, she takes one of TaeYeon's hands to hers, eyes boring into her soul. "I know that U--Father had something to do with the killings, but I hope you do not take it out on me."



"I-I do not see you in that kind of light Princess. You treat me like one of you, so how can I?"



Patting her hand before releasing it, she postured up. "I am glad to hear that, Lady Kim."



Standing up, she motioned TaeYeon to do the same. "I will take my leave now. Mrs. Kang will show you the ways in this household."



They went out of the room.



"Have you eaten?"



And as on cue, her stomach grumbled. Beet red, she shakes her head.



A laugh resounded across the hallway and it was music to TaeYeon's ears.



"Mrs. Kang must be in the pantry. I will take you there."



Off they went to the scullery on the first floor of the Palace.



Keeping her distance yet she still can get a whiff of the Princess' fragrance. It was addicting that she cannot help herself to close her distance to indulge herself to her essence.



As if she woke up from her reverie, the shakes her head and is greeted by the occupied kitchen of the palace.



The workers then stopped on their tracks to pay respect to the Princess. Gesturing to proceed to their tasks, she asks to see the Old Lady. One of the cook said that she was being summoned by the King and will be back shortly. She thanked Him and took her leave but not before ordering Him to whip something for her Maiden.



After letting TaeYeon eat, she lead her to her favorite spot in the Palace. The Athenaeum.



It was massive, the library is. TaeYeon never thought that the Princess will direct her to a place where words from papers are stronger than voices.



They sat on the couch near the fireplace as the Princess reads on a Book. She does not know what to do so she unconsciously stared at the Royalty.



She is ethereal, the Princess is. It is no doubt that she is the epitome of jealousy of young girls in and out of the Palace. Her pale white skin that is as white as the snow. Her features as intricate as the crown on her head. Her personality that stoods out among all Royalties. And TaeYeon cannot deny that she is slowly falling right into Stephanie's trap.



"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none." The Princess close the book to look at her with those piercing eyes. "Shakespeare. All's Well That Ends Well. Do you know what that means?"



"I-I do not, your Highness."



"TaeYeon, can I address you that?"



"If you want, your Majesty."



"Call me Tiffany, TaeYeon." There is finality in her tone. "You could at least try. There are no wrong answer." Referring to the book, the Princess emphasizes by lifting it up.



"To live with your heart, To live with caution, To live rig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter