Start and Final

A Progress Through Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kai woke up only to groan at the heat radiating from the sun on his window. The humidity spread throughout his chamber which made him unwillingly got up from his bed. His pillows and blanket were thrown out from his king sized bed and onto the floor while he was asleep. But he couldn’t care less anyways about the current messy state of his room as he knew a few moments later, few servants would enter his room and clean it up for him.

 

That was Kai. He liked everything done and always getting the easy way out. It wasn’t difficult for things to get his way as he had servants to do the chores for him. Besides, he couldn’t care less either on what his family had to say about him. He was mean, rebellious, heartless, uncaring. He was Kai.

 

Kai went out of his chamber after washing up and head down to the dining room where his other siblings and the other gods were gathered for breakfast. On the way there, he managed to flirtatiously wink at a few female servants who were passing by and they immediately blushed in response. Kai smirked as he saw their reactions, feeling a bit more confident of himself.

 

The room was full. Every god was seated on their individual chairs, all different types of food were served on top of the extremely long table, each discussing and talking about things they enjoyed talking about. Kai walked towards an empty chair between his other siblings, Sehun and Chanyeol, the god of the wind and the god of fire.

 

The moment Kai sat down, all looked up and stopped their actions. They stared for a few seconds before continuing their discussions. Some smiled at him while others greeted him good morning. Kai just nodded his head and gave a smug smile. The dining room was loud, there wasn’t a moment of silence before Cronus silence them all.

 

 

Cronus was the highest of them all. The father of strong and powerful gods, which includes Zeus, Kai’s father. “Now, now. We shall begin the feast as everyone is now here.”

 

Everyone started eating, with servants going around serving them and helping the gods with their needs. “Would you like some more wine, your highness?” a female servant said to Kai particularly as she saw his glass was empty.

 

“Oh yes please, thank you love” Kai winked at her as she poured his glass half full. Zeus who heard his son and watched his action threw a warning glare towards him as in warning him to keep a substantial manner.

 

There was a few moment of silence and Cronus took the advantage to discuss a point where everyone is involved. “So, how is everyone doing? My sons and daughters especially.”

 

Poseidon cleared his throat. “Everything’s fine father.”

 

Hades too agree and nodded, “Yes, the underworld has been going well under my control. I’m going back there tomorrow.”

 

“Very well then, that's good to hear.” Cronus complied as he then shifted his gaze to Zeus and Hera. “How about you, Zeus? Have you decide when's the decision happening?”

 

It had been years, in fact too long to be considered as years anymore since Zeus took over after his father Cronus. He recalled he had to fight along with his other siblings to reach the crown he desires. It wasn’t simple, being able to harm your own siblings, but that is how you survive in this world. And now that the reign of Zeus is considered to be almost over, he had to pass it on to his sons. Which means a fight is about to happen.

 

Their sons shared a skeptical look with each other as if trying to communicate telepathically. But they too were nervous on who's going to be the next one taking over. Well except for Kai, he was unusually quiet as held his wine glass in his hands, shaking it slightly in a circular motion as his mind was focused on something else. He wasn’t listening.

 

Zeus shared an uneasy look with Hera and started with a small voice, “Uhmm, I don’t know yet, father.” He doubts the others were ready, but he had to.

 

Cronus sighed. “Well, you better decide soon.” His voice was calm, but there was a stern and warning tone presence in it.

 

 

 

 

“Zeus, I’d like to talk to you for a moment.” Cronus requested the moment everyone was dismissed from the morning feast. Zeus immediately complied and followed Cronus into his chamber.

 

“What is it, father?” Zeus asked as they were both seated. Cronus ushered a few servants out of his chamber as he then began speaking. “Zeus, you are a really strong and powerful god and I can’t help but be proud of your achievements. But don’t you think it's time for you to pass it on?”

 

“I know everyone is a god of their own, and I’m really proud to see that.” Cronus sleekly said as he poured out some wine into his glass. He brought the rim of the glass onto his lips before taking a sip and spoke out, “But it needs to happen soon even if it's against your will to do so.”

 

“Yes, I will decide on that real soon.” Zeus cleared his throat before excusing himself out. But before he does, he heard his father's voice clearly as he stopped himself right before the door, his back facing his father. “I expect you not to disappoint me.”

 

With his fingers tensed, curled into a ball, he gritted, “Yes father, I understand.”

 

And with that, he exits the chamber before going into his, not before calling one of the servants to request Kai to come and see him in his chamber.

 

 

There was a knock on the door and Zeus ushered the person to enter. Kai entered his chamber looking annoyed, “What is it that you need to talk about, father.”

 

“Come and sit,” Zeus ordered but Kai refused. “Now.” His voice was filled with authority and Kai had no choice but to sit down.

 

“I’m sure you’re aware of the fight that is about to happen. Now, Kai, I’m warning you to be very serious in this.” Zeus knew him so well, he knew that Kai would back himself off or lose the fight purposely. He knew he had no interest in this, but this is what the prophecy implies on and they had no choice but to follow. Everyone is needed to participate. And by that, he hopes everyone takes it seriously.

 

“You know that I’m not interested in all of this. I don’t care what you have to say.” And with that, he exits the chamber leaving his father furious. “KAI!”

Zeus exits his chamber too a few moments later. He had been thinking of what to do since he knew this is going to happen. He then spotted Chronos walking towards his chamber and an idea in his mind. “Noo.. I don’t think this would work.” He muttered to himself, contemplating if he should talk to Chronos. But he had no choice. There’s no other way.

 

“Chronos!”

 

Chronos stopped his track right before he enters his chamber and looked back to see Zeus calling for him. Chronus raised his eyebrows and looked at him questioningly.

 

“I’ve come to make a request! I am in need of your help, Chronos.” Zeus said as he strode forward, closing the distance between him and the god of time. Chronos, who wasn’t expecting for his aid, gazed at Zeus intently as if trying to read his mind. “What is it that you need from me?”

 

“I was asking if you can–” Zeus glanced around to see that no one was present before continuing his words, “As you can see, Hera and I had just been discussing how our children have been growing up and..”

 

“And?” Chronos chimed not getting the situation entirely.

 

“Everyone’s doing well, they’ve grown up to be a god of their own and, well, not everyone to be precise.” Zeus frowned, thinking of one of his son who hadn’t been serious at all in being a God.

 

Chronos continued to stare at Zeus, questioning with his looks on who he was talking about. It was a few seconds later when Zeus sighed, “It’s Kai”

 

“What’s wrong with him?” Chronus tilted his head and squinted his eyes, a flash of an image of Kai appeared to him for a brief second.

 

“He had been very rebellious and uncaring about his position of being a god, and I am very concern for his wellbeing. He had the capability and potential to be a great leader among my sons and it’s a great shame to see that his attitude shows the opposite.” Zeus explained looking tired and exhausted.

 

Chronos nodded in understanding before questioning, “And what do you want me to do?”

 

Zeus cleared his throat. “I had been thinking lately and I thought you can be a great of a help”

 

“Help? How so?” Chronos voiced out as he smoothed out his beard with his right hand.

 

“Do what you’re best at, control the time and help make him realize what he had been doing is wrong,” Zeus explained in attempt Chronos would agree to him.

 

“And what makes you think it’ll work?” Chronos asked doubtfully.

 

“Because when it comes to Kai, it’s time that matters the most. Let his future lands on the hands of fate. I want him to take things seriously.”

 

Chronos stayed quiet, thinking if he should help. But then he remembered Zeus helping him the last time he needed help, and by this, he can repay his favor. “Okay,

but you do need to remember” Chronos trailed, “no wish to be fulfilled is for free. There needs to be someone to be sacrificed.”

 

Of course, that damn prophecy. Chronos looked guilty, he wanted to return his favor but then the prophecy just has to be in the way. Zeus contemplated in his mind, thinking if this is a good way. “Please. Anything for my son. Anything.”

 

Chronos smiled to which had a hidden meaning behind it. “Well then, I guess we need to get help from Aphrodite.”

 



 

Heart as cold as stone,

Let it be renowned by someone new

By the hands of the faithful faith

May his heart stay in place

 

Let his heart be devoted to one

for he shall meet his other half

to learn the true meaning of love

because his heart has been melted by her

 

- Aphrodite

 

 

School. What a great place it is to suffer.
 

“Noeul! Would you like to come by my place today?” Noeul glanced back to see Hanbyeol calling for her.

 

She was too preoccupied with her books in her hands that she didn’t hear what her friend was saying. “Huh? Sorry I didn’t hear you. What did you say again, Byeol?”

 

Byeol chuckled, “Yeah, of course, you didn’t. Look at all those books in your hands. You look like a nerd!” Noeul playfully scowls before chuckling yet too. “I was saying if you would like to come by my place today?”

 

“Oh, uhh I’m really sorry but I have things to do today. Besides, I have some books I need to go through too.” She said as she held up the books in her hand as if trying to prove her point. Byeol rolled her eyes, “You really are a nerd!”

 

“Well, uh yeah I guess I am a nerd.” Byeol chuckled at this statement, “It’s fine. You can always come by next time.” And with that, they parted ways.

 

Noeul headed down the streets to her house. Since her house wasn’t that far from school, she had a daily habit of walking to and home from school. She had always enjoyed the scenery. She grew to like walking rather than sitting on the bus as she could enjoy the fresh air.

 

But as she walked further home, she heard slight whispers in which she thought someone was talking to her. She turned and glanced around only to see that other people were occupied with their own business. She frowned. Was she probably hallucinating?

 

She walked yet again, this time she heard the voice again. It was like faint whispers coming from the wind. It was as if the air was telling her something.

 

for by fate you are the chosen one..

 

The voice was very soft and faint that she had a hard time understanding. She furrowed her eyebrows and turned back once again. But again, no one there was talking to her. Feeling a little scared and paranoid, she hurried her pace back to her house.

 

 

The sons had gathered in what is called the training room. They each had their uniforms on and was prepared for the training. Zeus had made an announcement a few days ago that each of them will start training for the upcoming fight.

 

 

“Where’s Kai? I can’t believe he ditched the training session too.” Baekhyun, the god of light, muttered.

 

“Probably somewhere doing something I don’t want to know.” Sehun glowered shuddering at the thought itself.

 

Chanyeol groaned, throwing his head back. “Man, I don’t want to do this. Why can’t we just do this by voting or something?” Suho, who is the god of water, chuckled at his action before replying, “Of course we have to, it’s part of the prophecy and you know we have to abide it.”

 

They all have been good brothers to each other, and they fear this fight might threaten the bond they have with each other. They aren’t willing to fight if it’s not a must. But again they have to.

 

A few moments later, Ares arrived into the training room and they all started training on their own individual powers, not caring about Kai who had been busy in his own chamber.

 

 

“Zeus is the sky and thunder god in ancient Greek religion, who ruled as king of the gods of Mount Olympus. Zeus is the child of Cronus and Rhea, the youngest of his siblings to be born, though sometimes reckoned the eldest as the others required disgorging from Cronus's stomach. In most traditions, he is married to Hera...”

 

Noeul read out a few pages of the book she borrowed from the library. She had been very interested in greek mythology lately and had been going through it in details. She continued reading a few more pages before feeling rather sleepy and tired. She closed the book and got ready for bed.

 

The moment she lied down on her bed, again she heard voices. That voice again. She thought. She tried closing her eyes and ears in an attempt to shut the voice out but the sound only grew louder and it made her shudder in fear.

 

for by fate you are the chosen one..

 

The voice repeated again and again and Noeul felt as if she lost her mind. All of a sudden, she felt dizzy. Her head was pulsing and her mind was twirling. She felt her vision started to blur and her body started feeling weaker the next second as if she had no energy. And before she knew it, everything out.

 

 

“Your Highness”

 

“Your Highness”

 

The voice repeated again. “Wake up, your Highness”

 

Noeul groaned slightly before opening her eyes slowly. Her body felt so lifeless that she passed out. The light blinded her eyes the moment she opened them and immediately closed them again. Rubbing her eyes, she let her vision focused on seeing a woman beside the bed, waking her up. Her eyes widen in shock to see an unfamiliar face, and immediately she glanced around the room to see that she was somewhere else. “W-where am I?”

 

“You’re in mount Olympus, the house of Zeus. Your Highness, you better hurry and get ready, everyone’s waiting for you.” The woman ushered Noeul. Mount Olympus? Your highness?

 

“W-what? Mount Olympus? W-who are y-you?” She asked, completely clueless of what is happening. “I’m one of the head servants here, you can call me lady Charlene. I suppose I am not in the position to answer your questions. For now, do get ready. I’ve prepared your dress in the bathroom.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter