One

Guardian 1004

“They're scheduling you for a 1004 stage the day after tomorrow; try to rest up.”

Youngjae’s jaw dropped as he heard the manager over Yongguk’s speaker phone. He was kidding, right? He watched as the leader put his phone back in his pocket dejectedly and turned to the group with a grim expression.

“Try to get some sleep tonight, especially you two.” He gestured to the very people Youngjae hoped wouldn’t have to perform for a while. Himchan and Daehyun nodded, though obviously displeased with the situation. The latter exchanged a glance with his partner vocalist who stood abruptly, irritated and upset.

“You can’t be serious, not with the condition Himchan-hyung and Daehyun are in.” Yongguk looked down. “Hyung!” Youngjae rarely raised his voice in a non-playful manner; he was serious.

The leader shook his head, replying “I understand. I wish it didn’t have to be like this.”

“Then call him back!” The other members were surprised to see Youngjae so defiant. “Make him have them sit out or something, I don’t know!” With this Junhong rose to try to urge Youngjae back onto the couch with the rest of them but the vocalist wouldn’t budge. “They just got released from the ing hospital. Hyung, I know you agree with me.”

He was right. Yongguk sat still for what felt like ages until he finally nodded once, stood, and walked away to make a phone call. The atmosphere was so tense that Youngjae didn’t notice Daehyun approach him and nearly jumped when a hand touched his shoulder. The older’s gaze washed over him like cool water, calming him in a way that only Daehyun could.

He spoke quietly: “I’m fine. I feel like I’ll be able to do it. Himchan-hyung on the other hand…” He trailed off to look back at the pale man sitting next to Jongup. “We need to have him sit out if possible. Compromise or something.” Just then as to answer Daehyun’s suggestion Yongguk returned with the phone in his hand.

“Manager Kang is very apologetic, but he doesn’t think it’s a good idea for both of you to sit out; TS says it's bad publicity and whatever…” Youngjae looked at Daehyun with dread when he stepped forward to offer his suggestion. If this was what the older wanted he told himself he’d try to be okay with it.

“I’ll perform, but try to see if we can have Himchan-hyung sit out. He’s really not doing that well. Just have him sing from behind the stage.”

“I’ll let him know.” Yongguk walked away again to finish the conversation. Youngjae noticed the hand on his shoulder pull heavily and turned just in time to watch Junhong catch Daehyun before he hit the floor.

“Yah!” Fear chilled him as Youngjae saw Daehyun go pale. “Obviously you’re not alright, —“

“I’m fine—“

“You call this fine?!”

“It’s either you both perform or Himchan sits out.” Yongguk returned with a sad expression that only grew in intensity upon seeing Daehyun in his current state. “…We take it or leave it.”

“You’ve gotta be ting me—“

“Tell him that’s what we’ll do.” The lead vocalist roughly pushed himself back up as he attempted to prove he was okay. “I’ll make it work, as long as Himchan doesn’t have to perform.” Everyone stared at Daehyun. “…I heal fast, you guys know that. I’ll go to bed early tonight and rest like you said.” He looked pointedly at Youngjae. “Everything will be okay, it’s really not that big of a deal.” The leader nodded, finished speaking to their manager and hung up.

“I’ll trust you, Daehyun.”

“Thank you.” With that Yongguk led Himchan away, concern in his voice as he asked how he was feeling. Youngjae heard none of it with the roaring in his ears; he was pissed. Junhong left with Jongup only after he was sure Daehyun wouldn’t fall again, and then it was just the main vocalists in the room.

For two people with such loud personalities, it was eerily quiet. Youngjae knew he shouldn’t have been so worked up over just a live stage but he couldn’t help it. To him this was all damn stupid; two members just got out of the hospital, and the company wanted them to perform on stage? Sing live, dance live, right after being discharged? He wondered how much trouble he’d get in for punching one of the higher-ups. Probably a lot.

“Youngjae…” The timid voice snapped him back to reality. He looked up and was surprised to see the older smiling sadly at him. “Thanks for worrying.”

“…uh, yeah. No problem.” He paused as he felt his anger dissipate, offering a hand. “I’ll help you back to the dorm.”

“I’m really fine, you don’t need—“

“Just let me do this, alright?” Youngjae’s voice was stern as he nudged one of the older’s arms behind his neck, supporting the other’s weight as they left for their shared room. They walked in silence, ignoring the questioning glances from people they passed in the hall.

Daehyun finally broke the ice. “So…no witty comment? Shocking.”

“I can just drop you instead.”

“There we are.” He laughed gently and something fluttered in Youngjae’s chest. He smiled, happy to know that his friend was still himself, albeit sickly.

 

----------------------

“You guys are on in five.”

“Yes, thank you.” Yongguk looked back to make sure the group understood. They nodded.

Everyone but Himchan was dressed and ready to appear on stage. Youngjae wasn’t confident, however; Daehyun had been fine until just before they arrived. The blaring music and screaming fans seemed to be overwhelming the lead vocalist as well as the costume for the stage being too hot for his feverish skin, and he didn’t look well. His bright eyes had dulled and his posture was slouched, much unlike the exuberant aura he usually emitted. Youngjae cursed and pulled him aside.

“I’m not sure if you can do this, Dae.”

“Too late for that now.” The older put on the best smile he could manage: a tired one that only made Youngjae more nervous. “Believe me, this isn’t the worst I’ve been through. Like that one time in high school I had to do an in-class presentation but I was white as a sheet, which means a lot for me and my skin tone, and I almost passed out but I held it together because I really needed that grade, really badly, and—“

“Okay, okay, got it, save your breath for the live stage.” Youngjae silenced the chatterbox, dragging fingers through his styled hair. “First, that was random and you’re a weirdo. Second, just know I’m gonna be watching you the whole time.”

“Jae, no. You have your own lines to worry about. You’re a big part of this song and we can’t have you distracted by me.”

“So what.”

“So what I’m saying is the best thing you can do for me is put on a great performance.” When the younger scoffed Daehyun continued, grabbing both of his friend’s broad shoulders. “You’re the only thing that’s going to keep me together this live stage, so do well.” He placed a quick kiss on Youngjae’s pouting lips. “Do it for me?”

The backstage director’s voice rang out. “Thirty seconds, you guys.”

“Alright…” Youngjae sighed. “It’s gonna be a damn good performance, you hear me?”

“Always.” Daehyun watched as the younger walked off to assume his place on the dark stage. Little did he know that Youngjae’s intention was to find Junhong, whom he quickly whispered a command to: “Watch out for Daehyun, alright?” The youngest nodded in understanding and the vocalist patted him on the back. “Thanks.”

 

-----------------------

Daehyun wasn't physically on par with his words.

He felt awful. His head was spinning and his skin was clammy. On the drive over he was okay; he thought this would all be fine. Once the heavy beat of music hit his ears along with the screeching of fans, however, his condition plummeted.

Standing next to Yongguk and Youngjae on stage, he knew this was it and he had to keep everything in check. Imagine what the press would do if he collapsed while performing? Gripping his microphone tightly he willed himself to pull it together, clenching his jaw and taking a deep breath. In the unlit space he felt Youngjae’s hand brush his right one as the familiar guitar that started the song began to play. The younger glanced over, squeezed Daehyun’s sweaty fingers once, and then let go before the lighting illuminated them.

That gesture recharged him enough that he sung the first line loud enough and on key, though it was lackluster. He was sure someone would notice, somewhere, but at least he was producing sound. Thank god Jongup, Junhong and Youngjae occupied enough of the beginning with their dance and vocals; it gave him time to hang his head, taking the most even breaths he could muster to set himself in the right condition, until he turned around and started dancing in sync with the rest of them.

Daehyun envied Himchan, wishing he was allowed to sit backstage also, but knew at the same time that it was he himself who suggested this. He couldn't back down now.

Despite this he could feel dizziness start to set in the more he moved and almost lost his balance once or twice. He saw Junhong occasionally shoot glances in his direction, concern written all over his baby-face as they danced, sang and rapped. Daehyun imagined Youngjae had put the maknae up to this, regardless of his efforts to persuade the younger he was fine. That made him feel pretty good, actually, that someone was so concerned about him. It gave him enough energy to finish the performance the best he could, brief stumbles and duller vocals notwithstanding. He let Youngjae’s voice drive him on until the stage went dark again signaling their exit.

And then he collapsed. Nearly. His head hit Youngjae’s sturdy chest as he felt the strength leave his legs, his breathing labored. A few fans screamed, noticing, but thankfully not because he had fallen; the younger had been right at his side the moment the lights shut out to catch him. He made it look like nothing more than a back hug, which excited a few of the people who saw, and then they were walking off-stage to the break-room.

Daehyun wrapped an arm around Youngjae’s shoulders for support, waiting until they were out of view of the audience to peck him chastely on the cheek between rough breaths. The receiver scoffed and flipped his hair into the older’s face, making him laugh. That was the sassy Youngjae he loved.

They entered the room and, closing the door, Daehyun smirked. “I’m touched you sang with your heart and soul just to keep me conscious. I must be pretty important, huh?” This time Youngjae did drop him, right into a break-room chair before he leaned down and crashed his lips against Daehyun’s own plump ones, eliciting a surprised gasp from the older that quickly turned into a breathy moan. He needed this. He reached up to run his fingers through Youngjae’s glossy, dark hair and tugged him closer with any remaining strength he had. Daehyun felt Youngjae's tongue prod his lips and he graciously opened them, allowing their tongues to battle only for a short while due to his lack of energy before the younger completely dominated him. He in a breath when Youngjae pulled his wet muscle out and substitued for trailing it along the older's jawline gently, ghosting over the tan skin with his red lips and latching onto a place he knew drove Daehyun crazy. 

"Jae." he whimpered and threaded his fingers tighter into the younger's hair, locking him in place as Youngjae's mouth and tongue did their work on his sweet spot. 

Just as he was starting to feel really good despite his sickness Youngjae pulled back, a playful glint in his eyes before he connected their lips again in a much slower kiss. Daehyun's grip in his boyfriend's hair faltered and his hands fell to rest on broad shoulders instead. 

The older felt Youngjae smile against his tender skin, teasing between pants “That’s it? You don’t seem very eager.”

“I’m sick, you .”

“And yet you let me kiss you. You’re gonna get me sick too!” He laughed and pulled away, brushing hair out of Daehyun’s eyes and kissing his cheekbone instead. His expression softened suddenly: “I’m glad you made it through the live stage, though.” he murmured. “I was worried.”

“Which is why you told Junhong to keep an eye on me, right?” Daehyun laughed when his friend pretended to be shocked.

“How’d you know?”

“You’re so obvious, Jae.” He flashed his radiant smile, feeling the best he had been in the past week. Youngjae really was his light and sunshine amidst whatever bad happened to roll around. "You can't just leave me hanging like that, though." His eyes darkened and he tilted his head, grabbing Youngjae's chin in his hand. "Were you going to continue?" Just then the rest of the members filed into the room, Yongguk carrying Himchan like Youngjae had Daehyun, with Junhong and Jongup bringing up the rear. The latter whispered something to Junhong who fought to hold back his laughter.

“Yah! What’d he say?” Youngjae rose to playfully assault the lead dancer while Junhong giggled.

“He said you should give Himchan-hyung a kiss too, then maybe he’ll start feeling better like Daehyun-hyung is.” His laughter intensified when both Youngjae and Daehyun turned red. Crap. The two oldest laughed as well as Youngjae chased the two youngest. Daehyun looked on and smiled; the whole thing didn’t turn out so bad in the end, did it?

 

 


A/N: That's it. Nothing else heated happens. Why? BECAUSE I'M SO BAD AT WAHH  Because I say so.