Chapter 1

Minho's perfect excuse

The classroom was finally silent, so Jinki took the opportunity to write a little. He had been working on some lyrics for a few days now and because of the lack of free time, Jinki still had not finished. College was up all his time.

"So," Leeteuk said drawing the students' attention. "As you know, the spring festival is coming, but this time our participation will be a bit different."

This caught Jinki's attention, as he raised his head looking at the teacher who was smiling. He seemed pleased with some knowledge that surely would not please the students much. Jinki knew that expression very well, it had been that expression that Jinki saw before start to sing in a bar with only drunk people who cared more for their drink then the singer in front of them.

"Oh god, why is he smiling like that?" Jonghyun whispered next to Jinki. "Is so creepy."

"I know right?”" Jinki whispered back, looking at Leeteuk who laughed out loud.

"What’s wrong with your expressions? It's no big deal, it's just that this time we're going to participate in the festival with another department," he said with a big smile on his face, looking at each face before him then continuing to speak. "We will work together with the theater department."

Most of the students celebrated, it was always good to work with other departments and music and theater certainly matched, but for Jinki, he did not know exactly what he was feeling, whether it was happiness or despair.

When class was finally over, Jinki and Jonghyun walked quickly across the campus, trying to escape the chilling wind, arriving at the cafeteria for lunch.

"Okay," Jinki said with a contented sigh. "This is very good." he said chewing.

Jonghyun nodded, sipping soup from his spoon and putting a piece of meat in his mouth. "Do you know what's even better? We’re working with the theater kids."

Jinki knew that Jonghyun would think so, after all, his boyfriend was in the theater department, but Jinki was not that happy.

"I guess." he murmured, making Jonghyun frown.

"I thought you'd be happy to finally be able to work with your crush. No?"

"He... he does not even look at me that way and honestly, I don't want to act stupid in front of him and let's face it, I ALWAYS act stupid in front of him."

"Hyung, we're no longer in high school and it's not like you don’t know how Minho is. Kibum himself has already said that he doesn't talk much, especially with those he doesn’t know and besides… you’ve never tried to be his friend."

Well, that was true. Jinki still didn’t have enough guts to talk to Minho; to actually sit down and talk to the younger man. It was just a word here and there.

"Maybe I should try to talk to him."

"Of course you should," Jonghyun said poking Jinki with his chopsticks. "And now you have the perfect excuse."

"Excuse for what?" Kibum asked sitting next to Jonghyun and pecking his cheek quickly, as a slight blush appeared.

"Nothing much," Jinki said before Jonghyun said something unnecessary. Kibum was already suspicious by nature and the last thing Jinki wanted was for Kibum to find out about his crush. "College stuff."

Kibum narrowed his eyes at Jinki. "Okay, if you say so."

"So," Jonghyun said, finally saving Jinki from Kibum's deadly glare. "Have you heard about the spring festival yet?"

"Of course I know, I'm part of the festival organization." Kibum said casually.

"Oh… and you didn’t think to tell me anything?" Jonghyun said offended.

Jinki laughed as Kibum rolled his eyes. It was amazing that when he was close to Kibum, Jonghyun would change and he would look like a puppy, wanting his owner's attention.

Does everyone look like this when they are in love? He could not say, because as much as he had dated before, he had never really been in love with any of them, which was sad.

"Honey, I couldn’t tell you and you know it," he said putting his arm around Jonghyun's shoulder. "Our first meeting is going to be tomorrow and I can't wait to finally work together!"

Suddenly Jonghyun looked at Jinki who frowned, suspicious. "Yeah, I think it's going to be great working with you. Speaking of which, where is Minho today? You're always together."

Oh god, the last thing Jinki wanted was Kibum suspecting Jinki, and Jonghyun always talked too much.

"Minho? I don't know where he went, he's probably with Taemin. He drags Minho everywhere now." Kibum said annoyed.

Actually, Taemin was lucky to have Minho whenever he wanted, but that was normal since they were brothers. Even so, Jinki felt a jealous, just a little bit.

"So I'm going to our room, I'll see if I can finish those lyrics," Jinki said standing up and grabbing his tray. "You two, please go somewhere else, everyone's watching."

Kibum shrugged. "We're not doing anything any other couple wouldn’t do, hugs and kisses are not forbidden."

"Yeah, for hetero couples, not gay couples." Jinki said rolling his eyes.

"Well, maybe one of us can wear a wig."

Jonghyun gasped and Kibum laughed. Jinki thought it was best to leave before Kibum could prove his point, straight or not.

As always, purely unconscious, Jinki passed in front of the theater building, even knowing Minho probably would not be around, after all Kibum had said that he was with Taemin.

He still remembered the first day he saw Minho. Jonghyun was beside himself with happiness because finally his boyfriend was moving into the dorms and practically dragged Jinki around the campus talking about how his boyfriend was a great person and how Jinki would love him.

Then when they entered the room that Kibum would live in, Jinki had never seen so many clothes in his entire life. It looked like a clothing store had vomited inside the room and inside there were two men fighting in the middle of the mess.

"Did you have to bring your ing whole room?" one of them growled, gesturing irritably. "I told you not to do this!"

Jonghyun sighed. "This is Kibum," he said, pointing at the one with his hands on his waist, staring at the other with a mortal glare. "And that's his roommate. They seem to be getting along."

"Does it look like they're getting along?" Jinki asked indignantly, pointing to the two of them inside the room.

"That's Choi Minho, the two have known each other since they were little kids, went to elementary school together, now they are in the same department and in the same dorm room. They love each other, they just not exactly thrilled to be dorming together." Jonghyun shrugged and Jinki nodded.

Surely it was difficult to live with someone like that for that so long, someone who was not part of the family, and fights always happen.

"I understand, but I think we'd better get in before they kill each other."

"Yeah," Jonghyun nodded, already entering the room with a huge smile on his lips. "Kibum-ah!"

The fight stopped suddenly and Jinki watched curiously as Kibum throwing himself against Jonghyun, hugging him tight, the two laughing happily. Jinki and Minho made eye contact and just awkwardly stood there not knowing what to do.

The thing was, Jinki didn’t immediately fall in love with Minho. Of course the younger man was handsome and had all the charm that handsome men had, but nothing more than that. Though over time, Minho made his way into Jinki's heart, conquering him with polite smiles and gentle words whenever they met by chance.

And then Jinki began to be curious and without even realizing it, his eyes always searched for Minho on campus, in the dorm and in the cafeteria. Whenever the theater department had a performance, and Jonghyun always was there of course, Jinki went along and stood there, mesmerized by Minho.

Everything had happened within a year and now Jinki was a complete mess over Minho, even though their friendship was nothing more than two guys who’s best friends are dating each other. After all Jinki's friend, Jonghyun was Kibum's boyfriend who was Minho's best friend. In the end, they were always together somehow.

Jinki was not shy, but when it came to Minho, for some stupid reason, he was, and that was exactly why Jinki had yet to do anything, which made Jonghyun roll his eyes and call him a ing coward. Jinki could not even feel offended because Jonghyun was right.

The next day, everyone was sitting in the auditorium, both those in the theater department and the music department. They all look forward to getting started, full of ideas and plans. Jinki was nervous, staring at the back of Minho's neck as he sat two rows in front of him, laughing and quietly talking to his friends.

Leeteuk took the stage with Heechul, the head of the theater department, and all the students went silent, paying attention to what they had to say.

"So, as you all know, we're going to work together for the spring festival and we’re going to put on a musical." Heechul said looking at the students.

"Yes," Leeteuk smiled, placing a hand on Heechul's shoulder. "A musical that will be written and directed by you."

The whole auditorium seemed to vibrate with the news and Jinki was beaming from ear to ear. This was a great opportunity for them to show what they had learned, to show what they were good at and to prove to their teachers that they were ready for the world out there.

"That's absolutely great," Jonghyun said clinging to Jinki's arm who nodded, feeling so happy his words had escaped him. "I can't wait to get started."

"Okay, be quiet," Heechul said, clapping his hands. "You will have today to think of your ideas and tomorrow you will bring them to your teachers, in this case, one of us. We don't have time to waste and we have a lot of work to do."

"One day?" Jinki said with wide eyes. "This is impossible."

Jonghyun patted Jinki's back and looked at him. "Don't worry hyung, we'll make it."

It was easy for Jonghyun to say, the younger man always had great ideas, in fact he was always full of them. Jinki though was not like that and he always needed a few days to get all his thoughts together and come out with something good.

 

 

"Hyung, are you working in your idea?" Jonghyun asked sleepily, looking at his phone to see what time it was.

Jinki sighed, squeezing his eyes shut. He was so tired. "Yeah, I'm trying to decide what to do." he murmured, looking at the paper in front of him, several scribbled and scrawled things filled the sheet.

"It's late, go to sleep," he said yawning and nestled against the pillow. "Tomorrow morning you can finish this."

Jonghyun was right, staying up all night was not going to help anything, just going to make Jinki grumpy and cranky.

"I'm going." he yawned, turning off the table lamp and sinking into the soft mattress, burying his face in the pillow and taking a deep breath before finally sleeping.

When Jinki opened his eyes, it was already morning and thank God, he only had classes after lunch. So he rolled over to his side, picked up his phone and saw the notifications that consisted of a text from his mother and a few friends.

Suddenly colorful images and crazy hair styles of the dream he had started flooding into Jinki's mind, who smiled. Finally he knew what to use as an idea for the musical.

Standing up, Jinki sat down at the desk, still in his pajamas and messy hair, and began to write, anxious to get it over with and take it to his teacher.

"They’ll definitely choose mine." he murmured to himself, a huge smile on his face.

When Jinki finished pulling his pants up, Jonghyun entered the room with a silly grin on his face.

"Were you with Kibum?"

"How do you know?" he asked sitting on his bed, still grinning.

Jinki snorted. "You get that stupid grin on your face every time you see him."

Jonghyun laughed. "I'm just happy, and you're jealous," he said with a shrug. "…but answering your question, yes, I was with him. We had breakfast together."

"It must be nice to have someone do that stuff with…" he said a little bitterly. Jinki really needed a boyfriend.

"Maybe you should call Minho."

"Don't be stupid," Jinki said, taking the bag from the bed. "That's not funny."

"It really is, but where are you going?"

"Ah, I finally finished what I was writing and now I'm going to take it to the teacher."

"Wait, your idea for the musical?! What did you come up with?"

"Okay," Jinki said sitting up in bed, excited about his idea. "So I kind of dreamed about ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show’, you know, right?"

"Who doesn't?" Jonghyun asked, rolling his eyes.

"Right, so I had an idea based on that, using something scary but at the same time funny and crazy. There is this woman who is a famous actress, and looking for the perfect man, although she can have the man she wants, none of them look like the image she has in her mind. Then one day she decides that if she can't find the perfect man, she will make one herself."

"Make one? Like Frankstein?"

"Not so realistic like Frankstein, with body parts and everything, but basically that. I want something with more humor, like the “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”. She will have a party, where she's going to invite all the men in the city to finally start to choose who will go into her creation."

"I liked that, it looks very interesting and better than mine."

Jinki laughed. "Thank you. Have you handed your idea already?"

"Yeah, and you should run. Mr. Park is in the auditorium for some reason, so go there. I spent a good twenty minutes looking for him until someone told me where he was."

"Okay, I'm going then, see you later," Jinki said quickly, pulling up his shoes and opening the door. "Don't be late for class."

"I won't," Jonghyun said with a laugh. "Just go."

When Jinki left the auditorium, he was ecstatic, feeling very happy because Leeteuk and Heechul had loved his idea and had put on the list of the best ideas that they had received. That meant that Jinki had a chance and that was the best feeling ever.

Jinki quickly went back to the dorms, he still had an hour before the first class, and Kibum had sent a text asking him to go to the younger man's room. He'd been there a few times, of course, but he'd always felt his heart racing just to think Minho might be there too.

Kibum's room seemed to be separated between Minho's side and his side. On Minho's side there were some clothes folded on the bed and books stacked on the table, on Kibum's side was a total mess and Jinki wondered how the younger man could find anything in there.

Kibum said that an actor did not have time to clean but Minho was also an actor, so the excuse did not apply there. Kibum was just naturally messy.

"So what do you want to tell me?" Jinki asked sitting on the bed, looking at Kibum and then at Jonghyun who, of course, was there too.

"I already know everything," Kibum said with his arms crossed against his chest, looking at Jinki with his narrowed eyes. "Jonghyun told me."

"Okay, I have no idea what you're talking about." Jinki commented confused.

"I'm talking about Minho." Kibum said rolling his eyes, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

Jinki's heart began to beat faster. "What about him? I..."

"Oh, come on, hyung, don't play dumb with me, I already know you have a crush on him. It was so obvious, I don't know how I didn’t noticed it before."

Of course, of course Jonghyun had to tell him, took him long enough to finally break. Even so, it was something Jinki hoped Jonghyun would never do.

"Jonghyun," he grunted. "Why did you do that?"

"Because you need help, and Kibum can certainly help."

"Of course I can," Kibum said nodding. "And Minho definitely needs to get laid, he's unbearable."

That was too much information, even for Jinki. He really did not need to know, or even think, about Minho's life, that certainly would not help.

"Just let it go, okay? He doesn’t even think or look at me in that way, we barely talk to each other."

Kibum shook his head and sighed. "It's not like that, it's not that Minho does not want to get close to you, I'm sure he wants to. It's just that he's a bit…. suspicious of people. And, you're totally his type."

"If you what you're saying is true, why would he ever..."

"…because,” Kibum said snorting. “He says he doesn’t want to date too early. You see, he had a girlfriend and they were together for almost two years, and then he found out she was cheating on him with one of our teachers. It was a huge scandal at school." he said in disgust.

"Oh, that must have been awful. I think if it was Minho, I would react like that and take a time away from relationships. Then I..."

"Then nothing," Kibum said cutting off Jinki, again. "That is over and Minho needs to move on. You are the perfect person for this. Minho just needs a push to see what's right in front of him."

"What Kibum means," Jonghyun said, catching Jinki's attention, who was already starting to get a headache from this whole scenario. "…is you just have to show him that you're interested."

"Yes, kiss him or something!" Kibum said excitedly.

"Or ask him out." Jonghyun said, being the voice of reason there.

"What? Are you crazy? I can't ask him to go out with me, he'll refuse as soon as the words come out of my mouth."

"You never know…" Kibum said smirking. "If it was you, would you date Jinki-hyung, Minho-ah?"

Jinki gasped, his eyes wide with horror as he looked at the door and saw Minho standing there with his hand on the door handle. That was great, really great… could the floor open up and swallow him whole now…

Jonghyun looked at Jinki and murmured an apology when he saw the desperation in his eyes.

"I... I think so?" Minho finally said entering the room. "I mean, Jinki-hyung is... a nice person."

"No," Kibum snorted. "Jinki is not only a nice person but beautiful and has a great body."

This was so embarrassing. What was Kibum's problem?

"Kibum-ah..." Jonghyun whispered, seeing how uncomfortable Jinki was.

"Yeah, you're right, he's all of that," Minho said nodding. "Now stop it, you're making hyung uncomfortable." he said, glancing quickly at Jinki who lowered his head, his face red with embarrassment.

At that moment, Kibum looked at Jinki and sighed. "Oh hyung, that was not my intention, I..."

He shook his hand, silencing Kibum. "Just forget about it, okay? About everything," Jinki said looking earnestly at Kibum and getting up from the bed. "We need to go, Jonghyun-ah, we have class."

"Oh, I had forgotten." Jonghyun laughed and bent down, kissing Kibum and quickly following Jinki who was already opening the door, wanting to get away from there as fast as possible.

When they were out of the dorm and hurrying to the music building, Jonghyun pulled Jinki by the arm, making him stop walking.

"Hey, I'm sorry about what happened in there, it was not my intention to embarrass you in front of Minho."

"I know," he said slowly walking again. "…but it was horrible. Why did you tell him? You know how Kibum is, he never keeps his mouth shut about these things."

"That’s exactly why I told him," Jonghyun said shaking his head. "Someone had to do something about it and I know that someone would not be you."

Jinki turned, looking at Jonghyun. "And what's wrong with that?" he said in frustration. "What's wrong with having a crush on someone and doing nothing about it? I'm fine like this."

"Are you?" Jonghyun snorted. "Don't lie to me or to yourself, if you have any chance with him, why not try?"

"Are you listening to yourself? Who says I have a chance with him? He never even looked at me that way, he wants to be my friend and that's all."

Jonghyun shook his head. "You heard what he said in there, right? He said he'd go out with you."

That made Jinki stop walking again, hesitantly. "H-he said that because Kibum asked out of nowhere and... and he did not want to embarrass me."

"Do you really believe that?"

The worst thing that could happen now was Jinki hoping, he really did not want to end up there, it was not going to do any good.

"I don't want to talk about it," he muttered, stepping into the classroom. "Just forget it."

 

 

After lunch, the students could work on their songs for the festival, and Jinki was grateful for that. For three hours he could forget everything that was happening in his life outside that building, forget everything about Minho and the mess that Jonghyun and Kibum had created.

Jonghyun had left early, he needed to meet Jung Yunho, the singing teacher, and Jinki stayed until a little later, still working on the melody of the song he had written.

By the time he left the building, the sun was setting and people were hurrying to the dorm, wanting nothing more than to rest a little. Jinki took a deep breath and stuck his hands in his pocket, heading toward the dormitory.

"Hyung?"

Jinki froze in place, his eyes wide and his heart beating fast inside his chest. Slowly he turned, looking at Minho standing there, wearing a long-sleeved shirt and a white jacket, looking so damn y.

"Minho-ah?"

Really, it was not that unusual for them to meet up on the way to the dorm, but Minho hardly talk to Jinki, it was normally just a smile or a nod.

"Yeah, sorry for what happened earlier in the room, sometimes Kibum gets out of control."

"Oh, it's okay," Jinki said shaking his head. "I know that."

Minho smiled, coming closer to Jinki. "Whoever you're thinking of to ask on a date, I'm sure he'll say yes, you're really a cute guy."

Then Minho left, walking quietly into the dorm and leaving a Jinki totally shocked back, mouth open and eyes wide.

Did he think Jinki was cute?

"Oh my god," Jinki murmured to himself, looking around. "What just happened here, am I dreaming?"