1/2

Serendipity - The Legend Of The Winter Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

Veils of green and purple stretched over the darkening sky of the Frost Forest, signalling that something great would happen that night. The spirits celebrated this night since the olden days, sending their magical lights to the fairy world.

It was the night where the Winter star would pass by, saying good bye to the cold season.


 

Once a year, the star flew across the skies of all seasons until it kissed the ground deep in the Spring falls, where it grew blossoms to become the first flower of the Spring. This was what the legends said and it was what the fairies celebrated every year.


 

Daehyun sat on the stump of a pine tree, craning his neck excitedly to the left and right. The large theatre was quickly filling with fairies from all seasons and it was needless today that he was all over the moon. The air was glistening with colourful sparkles of pixie dust, coating everything in a beautiful light.

Although the annual celebration always took place in the Frost Forest, it was only Daehyun's second time attending it. As an animal fairy, he had an important responsibility at the change of the cold season and usually, he was only able to listen to the sounds of the music from far away. Daehyun loved his work and never really felt that he was missing out on something, but now that he was here again, the excitement took over and he wished he could watch it every time.


 

Every year, at the end of the Winter season, fairies gathered together to celebrate the festival of the Winter Star.

But first, they would watch a play that fairies had prepared for them, as far as Daehyun knew it was a different one every year. It would end right before the moon reached the highest point of the sky, which was the moment when the lights turned off completely and they would watch the Winter star in awe. After that, there was a ball, where they would eat and dance and enjoy the night until the first sun rays peeked out from the horizon.

The whole night was magical and Daehyun was happy to be a part of it. Last year, he had watched the star cross the sky sitting on the back of his favourite snow owl Naru. Of course he wasn't supposed to have favourites, but Naru was his best friend of the world, next to Himchan.

Himchan was a frost fairy and his best friend. Last year, Himchan had been at the festival, they had never been able to go and watch the play together, which at first had Daehyun feel a little sad - there were many other of his friends but he still wished that one day, he and Himchan would be able to go together.


 

The theatre was full now and Daehyun had another look around. The looks of fairies always represented their seasons and Winter fairies all had either black or silver hair like himself and most of them had blue or grey eyes but all around him were fairies with all kinds of hair and eye colours, there wasn't a single colour he could think of that wasn't present. Just a few seats away from him was a female fairy with a blue ponytail so long, that Daehyun was sure she would step on it when she walked and right in front of him was a little group of what he believed to be Summer fairies, judging by the golden shimmer of their wings and their bright hair colours.

When the lights around him started to dim, Daehyun's heart started beating.

Before long, one torch after another got dark until nothing but the moonlight illuminated the stage in the middle of them. At one side, fairies started playing music, a mellow tune that vibrated through the air, giving Daehyun goosebumps. Four fairies in pristine white dresses flew to the middle, the golden glow of their wings slowly lighting up the theatre as they were flying in a perfectly even circle. The gap in between them got bigger and bigger and then there was an explosion of pixie dust in the middle of them.

The dust began to take form above their heads, making a golden copy of the beautiful night sky.

“In the night sky of Winter, there is a bright star only visible from this valley. No one knows why this is... but in times of old fairies would come from far and wide to see it.*” A female fairy said with a mysterious voice.

Underneath the sky made of pixie dust, a few fairies gathered, dancing hand in hand to the music. Daehyun guessed they were playing the fairies who had come from far away to see the Winter star.

“They believed that anyone who laid eyes on the winter star would be blessed with good fortune.” The mysterious voice continued the story and in the artificial sky, one star bigger than all the others formed and flew from one side to the other. Gasps and cheers were heard not only from the fairies who participated in the play but also the crowd. Everyone's eyes followed the star until it burst into a bright explosion that rained down to the ground.

Where the pixie dust touched the ground, flowers of all kinds started sprouting, again, shaped from the golden glittering dust. The fairies played in the field of flowers and danced and swirled around, whenever a fairy touched one of the dust flowers, they burst and the dust flew to the audience. The music picked up one more time, Daehyun knew that now the highlight of the show would start. Eagerly, he gripped the edges of his seat, making sure that he would not miss a single moment.

“Some even claim that the fruit that sprouted from the Winter star has magical powers. Sweeter than sweet, this fruit will fulfil your every dream.”

A male fairy suddenly shot up from the dust, flying above their heads. He had a shining orange mop of hair, another Summer fairy, Daehyun thought. When he was so high that his silhouette was surrounded by the moon, he spread his arms and star shaped purple flowers started raining down on the audience. One little flower landed on Daehyun's lap and he carefully cupped it between his palms. It looked pretty, with darker, almost blue edges and a sweet smell came from it. Daehyun didn't know why, but he smiled.

He watched as the orange haired fairy landed on the floor, accepting the cheerful applause the audience gave him with bows in every direction. Even though he was far away, Daehyun could feel a strange warmth coming from him and he wondered, if the fresh summery smell filling the theatre came from his flowers or from him. But he didn't have time to ponder over it because the music had stopped and it had gotten dark in the theatre again and on instinct, Daehyun looked into the night sky.

It was time for the Winter star.

Daehyun's heart was beating faster, he quickly tried to think about a wish he should make, it was a tradition amongst Winter fairies but suddenly, everything that he had so carefully planned to wish for had escaped his mind.

Around him came 'Ohh's and 'Ahhh's, as the bright star graced them with its light. “Happiness, I just want happiness,” Daehyun chanted in his mind all over again, his eyes fixed on the Winter star as if he was sending his wish to it.

Too fast, the moment was over and all fairies stood up and clapped their hands. That was it, Daehyun thought. But no, it wasn't entirely over yet, the ball – the moondance was still waiting for him. With the purple flower still in his hands, Daehyun followed the other fairies.


 

It wasn't a long way to where the moondance was held, the dance floor was right in between the large pine trees of the Frost Forest, where the large crowns offered the perfect shelter from the falling snow. Animated chatter followed him and his friends all the way there until they queued up with the others to be welcomed to the final part of the festival.

The queue was going rather slow and it was only when Daehyun was very close to the front, he saw that garden Fairies gave flower crowns to every attendant. It was a lovely idea, Daehyun thought. In the Winter Woods, he didn't get to see a lot of flowers but he adored the colourful petals and sometimes he dreamed of fields full of vibrant yellow sunflowers.

It was the Summer fairy with the orange hair from the play that greeted him. He himself was wearing a crown made of little white roses, which matched well with his colourful shirt. The Summer fairy looked at him for a few seconds, his head tilted to the side in playful concentration. He then lifted his hands, his palms opening to the sky and a crown of blue, pink and white roses started braiding itself in between his hands.

“Welcome,” the Summer fairy said and placed the crown on Daehyun's head carefully. Daehyun felt his cheeks grow warm as he caught a glimpse of the warm brown orbs that looked back at him as if he was the most precious fairy of them all.

Daehyun wanted to stay and say something, but behind him were a lot of other fairies who wanted to enter and so he walked in and had a look around. At the sides were wooden tables that were filled with food. He saw a lot of fruits and berries that he vaguely remembered from the last ball he had attended. Every season had their own table with their very special selection of food.

The table of the Winter Woods contained varieties of nuts, snow peas and yams, and a lot of Winter berries that Daehyun liked a lot. Next to it was the table of the Autumn Forest, which had pumpkins of all colours, apples and beets.

On the other side were the tables for Spring and Summer, which were the most interesting in Daehyun's opinion. As a Winter fairy, he often ate the food from the Autumn forest so there wasn't anything he didn't know, but the colourful display on the other side was what caught his eyes and interest.

The table of the Spring fairies showed a lot of edible flowers. There were also peaches, parsnips and kiwis. On one end of the table, there was a variation

Please log in to read the full chapter