Gluttony

Sealed With A Kiss (Temporary Hiatus)

It hasn't been the same since the day we visited that art museum.

Brotherly bonds that used to be as strong as a steel chain had somehow eroded into something as thin as a piece of hair. The first one of us who began to act strange was Jungkook. Whenever we got together for a dinner, he would just eat and eat. Even when the rest of us had already finished. Now that I think about it, the night we left the museum, we went out to eat. I remember Jungkook would not stop eating no matter how much we tried to stop him. Eventually, his tiny stomach gave in and his body forced everything out.

It came to the point that every time Jungkook began to eat, he would not stop until his body forced it back out, or one of us had to physically stop him.

While we worried about his health and discussed the reasons why he was behaving this way, I remember the very exact words that came out of Taehyung's mouth.

"Well, he is a growing boy after all. Perhaps his growth spurts are making him hungry and he just doesn't know when to stop?"

His face was blank. Devoid of worry, sorrow, and empathy. His words sounded so convincing, yet it did not seem like he cared at all. To the others, they seemed to decide upon the conclusion that Jungkook was, after all, a growing boy. Even to be on the safe-side Namjoon, our group's leader, offered to stay with Jungkook for a few days to keep an eye on him. Thankfully, under his watch, Jungkook was eating as much as was necessary to keep himself healthy.

Jungkook's attitude, however, did become more explosive. He would throw tantrums when he wasn't allowed to eat more than what was given to him. Sometimes, he would even lay on the ground, writhing in agony, claiming that he was starving and that he was going to die.

The last time I remember seeing Jungkook, he seemed to have returned to his old goofy self. He would quietly eat his meal, even leaving some behind claiming he was too full to finish the rest. He got along well with the rest of us. No more tantrums or episodes. Just the good 'ole Jungkook we remembered. We all thought at the time, 'Maybe his growth spurt has finally passed.'

After dropping Jungkook and Namjoon off at his apartment, Taehyung asked the older if he wanted to take a break from babysitting and go get a couple of drinks with the rest of them. After some debate, Taehyung finally convinced him to come along. Leaving Jungkook alone for a few hours couldn't hurt, he decided.

Had I known what would've happened to Jungkook while we were away, I wouldn't have let Namjoon or the others leave him alone

Once we all went to our homes after we finished our small celebration, we received a call from Namjoon not long after we parted. He was at the hospital. Apparently while we were all out drinking and enjoying ourselves, Jungkook had managed to consume all the food in his apartment. He even managed to get into the trash. When Namjoon found him, he was lying in the dumpster out in the back of the facility foaming at the mouth.

The news was quick to sober us up enough to rush to the hospital. According to the doctors, he had gotten some sort of food poisoning from the garbage he consumed. He even managed to rupture his stomach from eating too much.

It was a rough night. We weren't allowed to see our suffering friend in his time of need. Hopeless, we sat in thick silence in the waiting room.

I don't remember when I fell asleep. I just remember waking up and hearing the doctor telling Namjoon that Jungkook didn't make it through surgery. The bleeding from his stomach was far too progressed before he was brought to the hospital. I remember feeling my stomach drop. I wanted to throw up, but I couldn't. I didn't even realize that I had begun to cry until I felt Taehyung dabbing the wetness from my cheeks. The world went silent. It was just the two of us.

"Well, as the saying goes: You are what you eat." He whispered, chilling me to my very core.