Strange Cat, Strange Love

Beyond Words

 

Tiffany found her cat odd. As days went by, she noticed that her cat's features were changing. To be exact, it was becoming more humanlike - especially the eyes. It grew a little larger and she swore that the colour of the pupil changed from green to dark brown. Even though she was a little creeped out by it, she couldn't help but to admire them. They were beautiful - one of the most beautiful pair of eyes she has ever seen. Yes, they were even prettier than Angelina Jolie's.

 

Tiffany found this strange cat on the streets about a month ago. She clearly remembers the day as she walked down the alley, getting ready to retire from the day's work and rest. She swore that she would ignore anything that needed help - her kindness has caused her too much trouble and now it isn't going to take away her rest time, at least not that day. But there was a soft purr that made her break the promise she made to herself.  It was too gentle, too cute.  So she twisted her body, eyes narrowing for a clearer night vision - it didn't help that the street lights were dim - and she stopped when she noticed a figure hiding behind a torn box, body half-sticking out. It seemed like it was scared, yet eager to find a new home.

 

Not wanting to scare the cat away, she took slow steps while approaching the feline. It would be normal for a cat to retreat a little - it was part of their defensive mechanism. But this new found one was a little eccentric as she pounced right onto poor Tiffany and started the young brunette's smooth face. Tiffany stumbled a little and shrieked when she saw it jumping right at her. But her fondness for the cat was growing as it continued to her face.

 

So she decided to take it back home.

 

But trust me, it wasn't exactly a very wise decision. Or was it?

 

-

 

"Jessi's eyes changed colour?"

 

Tiffany eagerly nodded.

 

"Is it normal?"

 

"Is it norm-" Sunny scoffed as she rolled her eyes at Tiffany's stupid question. "Have your eyes ever changed colour?"

 

"No! Of course not! What kind of stupid question are you asking?"

 

Sunny didn't even bother to reply as she raised her eyebrows and nodded her head in approval to Tiffany's response. Not being entirely stupid, the young girl got the hint and she lowered her head in embarrassment.

 

"Oh.."

 

"Yeah, oh,"

 

"So what do I do now?"

 

"Throw her away,"

 

"WHAT?! I CAN'T-I CAN'T DO THAT!"

 

"Why not? Or I'll just put it to sleep,"

 

"BUT IT'S ANIMAL ABUSE!"

 

"No it isn't. Euthanasia is allowed here. Besides, would you want to live your entire life with a weird cat like that?"

 

"NO! I WON'T DO IT! I PICKED HER UP FROM THE STREETS AND I'M NEVER GOING TO PUT HER BACK THERE AGAIN!"

 

"Then why are you here telling me stories about your cat?"

 

"I-I-" Being caught in a trap,  Tiffany stuttered a little before making a comeback.

 

"I'm not going to kill that cat!" And she stomped out of Sunny's office.

 

 

"That is one weird girl,"

 

-

 

Tiffany fumbled with her keys at her door step.

 

That's weird. She should have heard the sound of paws scratching against the floor by now. 

 

Worried that something might happen to the poor animal, she hurried her movements as she rushed into the flat.

 

"Jessi?"

 

Nothing but silence.

 

"Kitty kitty! Mummy's back!"

 

 

 

"Who's kitty?"

 

"AHHHHHH! WH-WHO ARE YOU?"

 

Tiffany had no idea how this gorgeous blonde had entered her house. Was she a burglar or a fugitive who was being wanted by the police?

 

"DON'T COME ANY CLOSER!" Tiffany took out her pepper spray from her handbag and aimed it towards the stranger.

 

"What's that?"

 

"STOP THERE OR I'LL SPRAY THIS AT YOU!"

 

"You can spr- OUCH OUCH MY EYES!!! IT'S BURNING!!"

 

Tiffany didn't take any chances as she heartlessly shot the spray into the blonde's eyes.

 

-

 

"Will the stinging go away?"

 

"After a while. Don't touch your eyes!" The brunette slapped the stranger's hand away from her face.

 

Tiffany honestly didn't know why she was taking care of the blonde. It was probably due to her guilt after she realised that the stranger wasn't armed - which meant that she didn't plan to hurt her at all.

 

"Here, put some more eyedrops, "

 

"Thanks,"

 

"Do you mind telling me who you are now?"

 

"I'm Jessica,"

 

"Jessica?"

 

"Yeah, you took  me in last month. You forgot?"

 

Then it hit her. No wonder Jessi was changing so much. SHE WAS A GIRL!

 

"You-you're JESSI?!"

 

"Yeah,"

 

"Bu-but you're a gi-girl!"

 

"So? How does that not make me Jessi?"

 

"I took in a cat and then it became you and then now you're here an-"

 

"HEY CALM DOWN! First you sprayed something into my eyes and now you're just spouting rubbish!"

 

"IT'S NOT MY FAULT OKAY! ANYONE WOULD HAVE DONE THAT IF THEY SAW A STRANGER IN THEIR HOUSE!"

 

"But I'm not a stranger!"

 

"HOW WAS I TO KNOW THAT MY CAT BECAME A WOMAN?" Tiffany stopped for a little while before continuing, "Hell, now it sounds so damn weird!"

 

"I was cursed,"

 

"Cursed?" She stopped for a while as her eyes softened.

 

"Yeah,"

 

"You mean like Beauty and The Beast?"

 

"That show is dumb! But yeah, it was something like that,"

 

"So am I the beauty that saved you?"

 

"You wish! I just needed 10 years before I could change back,"

 

"What happened?"

 

"It's a long story,"

 

"I've got time,"

 

"But I've got no mood,"

 

"Seriously?"

 

"Yes,"

 

"Fine. So much for taking care of you,"

 

"Well, you should. You're the one who sprayed that dangerous thing into my eyes!"

 

"Like I said, it wasn't my fault! Anyone would have done that!"

 

Jessica kept quiet . Her eyes were starting to recover from the sting. She could hear Tiffany sigh through her nose before she felt pressure against her eyelids. It was forced opened before more eye drops were squeezed onto her red eyeballs.

 

 

 

 

"By the way, the cat treats that you gave me were expired,"

 

-

 

"WHAT!? IT BECAME A GIRL?!"

 

"Yes it did. Now I don't know what to do,"

 

"I TOLD YOU TO THROW IT AWAY!"

 

"Hey! I'm not that mean okay! Besides, your advice was given to me too late! The moment I went home I saw her in my house!"

 

"You should have thrown her away when her eyes became brown an-and all human-like,"

 

"She was adorable,"

 

"So what are you going to do with her now?"

 

"I-"

 

"I don't know,"

 

-

 

Tiffany confided in Sunny. She knew that this whole situation seems crazy, yet she believed that the shorter girl would believe her, trust her, and not think that she was losing her mind. She brought her fingers up to pinch her nose bridge as she thought about her next step.

 

Should she throw her away? But how could she when the girl seems stronger than her? Or she could ask Jessica to get a job.  But then again, the girl had no sort of identification in any form. So was she about to feed the blonde her entire life?

 

 

"Hey, you okay?"

 

Tiffany looked up from her hands as she stared  at the source of all her problems.

 

It was odd. Much to her horror, she found herself starting to like this girl. A little bit more than just friends. She had initially cursed herself when her heartbeat increased as the older girl touched her. But she eventually grew to accept it and sometimes, she was the one who initiated physical contact. Jessica liked it too. Or should she say, very much.

 

"Yeah,"

 

"You sure? You're very quiet today,"

 

"I-I-"

 

"Come on, tell me what happened,"

 

"Nothing, nothing, "

 

Jessica ignored her as she leaned forward to hug the younger girl, pulling her head close towards her own chest. Tiffany loved how Jessica was protective over her, how she cared for her. But this was weird, and in a way wrong. She was in love with a girl. What more a girl who was previously a cat?

 

"Let me go," The blonde felt Tiffany's hands pressing against her chest, pushing her away. But it only made Jessica tighten her grip.

 

"I said, let me go!"

 

"No, I won't let go until you tell me what is wrong,"

 

Tiffany burst as she finally let her feelings flow and she spoke from her heart.

 

"YOU! YOU ARE THE CAUSE OF ALL MY PROBLEMS!"

 

It was a slip of her tongue. But it still managed to cut Jessica's heart like a knife. The feeling was way worse in comparison to the day she was cursed. Tiffany began stuttering as she saw Jessica quiver.

 

"I-I did-"

 

"I get it,"

 

That was all Jessica said before she stalked away.

 

"Jessica, WAIT!"

 

It was too late.

 

-

 

"JESSICA PLEASE! I DIDN'T MEAN IT!"

 

"No one lies about their feelings when they are upset,"

 

"I DO! PLEASE JESSICA, STAY!"

 

Tiffany tried to pull the luggage away from Jessica's hold, but like she said, the older girl was strong, was stronger than she looked.

 

" LOOK, I LOVE YOU ALRIGHT, AND I DON'T WANT TO CAUSE YOU ANYMORE TROUBLE!"

 

The young brunette's tongue was tied as she heard the loud confession.

 

"Yo-yo-"

 

"Yes, I love you, Tiffany. But now that I know I'm nothing but trouble to you, I will go away. I promise I will never come back. Now let me go,"

 

Tiffany stood rooted to the ground as her hands fell to her side, that was until she heard the door slam and she realised that Jessica had left.

 

"JESSI WAIT!"

 

She ran as fast as she could towards the hired cab and grabbed Jessica's hand, stopping her from entering the vehicle.

 

"Jessi,"

 

"What do you want now?"

 

"I love you too.."

 

Jessica froze on the spot, not knowing how to respond to it. But Tiffany was different. She was sick of all the drama that she had. Her rotten ex-cat who smelled and refused to bathe, her past broken relationships -that were really stupid when she looked back - and her career life where everyone seemed to take advantage of her kindness. Jessica was something that she really wanted for herself. It was time she got what she wanted. She was tired of everyone telling her how to live her life.

 

So Tiffany jumped right onto Jessica and pressed her lips onto the older girl's.

 

Jessica stumbled backwards before steadying herself and wrapping her arms around the brunette. She slowly made her way out of the cab.

 

Both of them broke the kiss and stared into each other's eyes until a cheeky grin surfaced on Jessica's face.

 

"Now that we're together, can I continue staying with you? Maybe we could start sharing a bed too?"

 

Tiffany blushed as she hit Jessica on the arm.

 

"You big ert!"

 

Jessica smiled as she leaned forward to hug Tiffany again.

 

"I think I saw you bathe a few times when you allowed me to enter the bathroom,"

 

The young brunette jolted her head  as she stared at Jessica in disbelief.

 

"Wha-"

 

Jessica grin never once disappeared as she leaned in to whisper into Tiffany's ear.

 

"It doesn't matter, because I'm going to see everything again,"

 

 

Maybe rescuing that cat from the alley wasn't such a big mistake after all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"HEY! ARE YOU STILL TAKING THE TAXI OR NOT?"