Red and Brown

Monochrome

Because Sowon and Sinb are cuties.

---


My parents once said that it was normal for humans to only see black and white. Red, blue, green or any other color was just shown to people who had already met their destined someone. I guess it means that your life would turn colorful once you have met the person that completes you. 

Since I was a child, all I've ever wanted was to see the color of the flowers. The oldies would often tell me that the leaves are green during spring and yellow during autumn. Green or yellow...I haven't seen those colors. I've always wondered how the world would be if I really saw it. Everything would probably change. 

"Mommy, how did you start seeing different colors?" I once asked my mother.

"That was when I met your dad. My world automatically lit up and I knew that he was the right one for me. I was so shocked and surprised when I finally saw the usual black and white turn into different shades." I remembered my mom's smile when she said that. The experience must have been a great one.

"What if you break up with that person then?" 

"It'll be fine Sojung. You'll still be seeing colors. It's just that you won't be as happy as usual. You may meet a new person but she will never be like your soulmate." 

"Then what happens if your soulmate dies?" I asked again. 

"Your world suddenly turns dark again. Back into the black and white you once saw as a kid." She smiled. 

"But that's just sad." I pouted.

"That means you have to take good care of your soulmate then." 

I nodded and smiled, making sure to do just that when I meet my other half.

When I was a kid, I used to collect flowers. I didn't know what colors they were so I just picked them up randomly and kept them in my room. I told myself that when I meet my special someone, I'd surely be able to see what colors they are. And I made it my goal that before that happens, I would collect flowers all different in color. 

I then turned eighteen and had lost interest in waiting for my destined someone. All I ever did in my life was wait for her. Everyday before standing up from my bed, I would imagine scenarios where I would finally meet the person who would give colors to my life. I had been doing that for the past eighteen years and so I eventually got tired. 

I turned twenty and that's when my father died from lung cancer. I was devastated but my mother was on a whole level of pain. She mentioned how everything was back to black and how she didn't know how she could ever be happy again. 

So that's when I thought that this world we live in is a crappy one. After giving happiness to a person, you would take it away like nothing and expect us to continue living on. I decided that it isn't worth it. I don't want to feel the pain of losing someone so I hoped that I wouldn't ever meet my special someone. I tried to avoid my destiny and prevented myself from meeting new people that may be my special someone. 

I gave up with that system.

It was okay if I didn't see colors. If I didn't feel the happiness that other people feels. I'm doing fine as I am and I don't want to risk feeling hurt. 

I was a coward. 

And obviously, it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. Because the next day I made that resolution, I bumped into someone. 

I fell down and she fell down too. I closed my eyes because of the impact. And when I opened my eyes, I saw it. 

I saw colors. 

I freaked out and closed my eyes again. Begging to go back to the usual black and white that I usually see.

But nothing happened. There I was, sitting on the pavement, infront of a girl that wasn't facing me and seeing different shades of everything. I don't know which one is red or blue. I don't know if this pavement is brown. I don't know what the names of the colors are but I didn't care. I chose to deny the fact that I care. I didn't want this. I wasn't ready for this. 

The girl I bumped into turned to look at me. She was wearing an equally shocked face too. And it seems like she was in the same position as mine. It was the first time she saw colors. I am her special someone and she is mine. 

After recovering from the shock of seeing colors, I then turned my eyes to look at her. 

And after every beautiful color and thing that I just saw, I was so sure that she's the most beautiful one. 

She was looking at me too and I studied her eyes. I don't know what name the color of her eyes are, but those were beautiful orbs and probably my most favorite shade of color already. And I haven't even seen every color there is. 

She regained herself and stood up. Which made me stand up too. She was looking down without uttering a word and I couldn't believe how cute she looked. 

Oh to hell with running away. She's here infront of me now. She completed a part of me that I've always wanted to have. 

"I'm Kim Sojung." I started. 

She carefully looked up at me and smiled shyly, "Hwang Eunbi." 

"I'm a bit new to this colors thing and I guess you are too." I bit my lip nervously and she nodded, "What do you say about going to the library to study about the name of colors?" 

She smiled and nodded. Her smile was so bright that I felt myself smile too. 

I finally met my soulmate.

---

"Did you expect to meet me today? You don't look as shocked as I was earlier." I joked to Eunbi while studying the color wheel. 

"I just have a cold face that really doesn't show my emotions. In truth, I was really shocked. When I opened my eyes, I suddenly saw an unfamiliar shade. I couldn't really move as I was so fascinated about everything." She answered and that was the first time I heard her voice clearly. It was so smooth and I felt like I would remember her voice wherever I go. 

"So what's your favorite color so far?" I asked her after a few minutes. 

She brought her finger to her lips and I just noticed how red her lips were. I was attracted to it and I forced myself to look away before I could do something stupid. 

"I think...red?" She whispered. 

"Red? Why red?" I asked again. 

"My parents used to tell me how red is the color of love. And even as a child, I was looking forward to seeing what kind of color red is. After reading this book and knowing what red looks like, I feel like I love the color more now. It's not as light as yellow or as dark as blue. It gives off a warm feeling and I feel comfortable with red." She smiled and I noticed her red lips again. 

"When I die, I want red to be the last thing I see." She smiled. 

"Why would you even think about that." I jokingly flicked her forehead.

"What about you? What's your favorite color?" She happily asked. 

I looked away from her lips and saw her eyes again. It certainly is my favorite shade and now I know the name of the color. 

"Brown." 

She looked kinda shocked. 

"Why? Does it look plain?" I laughed and she pouted. 

"It's kinda dull." She answered. 

"It's not dull. I love it." I answered while looking at her brown eyes. 

"But why?" She asked again. 

I struggled to think of an answer that doesn't sound creepy. I can't just tell her that I love it because it's the color of her eyes. 

"The very first thing I saw was brown." I lied. 

"Well that makes sense. The first color I saw was green and I guess it's nice too. It has an impact on your eyes." She innocently said and I just smiled at her. 

We then continued to talk about trivial things, personal things and many more and after that I felt like I know her so much already even if I only met her for a few hours.

---

When I reached home that night, I saw my mother sitting in the sofa with the tv on. And although the tv was playing, I could tell that her attention was somewhere else. 

I couldn't bear to tell her that I can see colors now when I know that she couldn't anymore. I greeted her and tried to act normal even if I saw how red her eyes are that must have been a product of endless crying. 

Red maybe the color of love. But it could also mean sadness and loneliness.

---

I was working part time in the coffee shop when a familiar girl walked in. She walked straight to the counter and I smiled at her. 

"You came." I mentioned. 

"I wouldn't miss a chance of seeing you." She replied and I was taken aback. Eunbi then laughed and playfully slapped my shoulders, "Aren't you going to get my order?" 

"Oh right! Sorry." I grinned then asked for her order. 

"I want a strawberry smoothie." She  answered.

"This is a cafe though?" I raised my eyebrow. 

"You mean you don't have one here?" She pouted and I can feel her disappointment. I couldn't bear to see her like that so I cheered her up. 

"I think we have some. I'll see if I can get some. Sit here for a while." I got a chair behind the counter and asked her to sit since the seats are full.

I went inside and asked Yerin to be the cashier for a while. 

"What? Why?!" She whined. "My shift is over." 

"Just do me a favor Yerinnie!" I said as I removed my apron and ran out of the back door. When I was outside, I ran to the nearest convenience store and bought a strawberry smoothie with my money. 

I ran back again to the cafe and saw Eunbi waiting. "Here you are miss." I smiled and gave her the smoothie while panting. 

"Why do you look so tired?" She looked at me worriedly. 

"It was hot back there when I was making the smoothie." I lied again. 

She stood up from her stool and walked closer to me. She then held my face into her hands and wiped my sweat with her thumb. 

"You should dry up first. You might get sick." She worriedly said.

I felt myself blush and forced a smile. "Will do." 

Yerin was looking at me weirdly and  whispered.

"Who the hell is she?! Why are you so whipped?! Why did you run for miles just to buy her a strawberry smoothie?!" 

I just smiled at her and whispered back, "She made me see colors." 

And Yerin looked like she was about to scream but kept herself so she wouldn't disturb the costumers. She looked at me with disbelief and I just shrugged.

I turned to look at Eunbi who was happily sipping her strawberry smoothie. 

"Do you like everything that's red?" I joked. 

"Well considering that your hair is red, yes. I do like everything that's red." She replied.

I couldn't speak and she happily laughed, "You're turning red." She pointed out. 

I felt my cheeks burning more and she laughed more, "I really do love everything that's red."

---

It had been a few months after that when I had first started seeing colors. A few months after meeting Eunbi. 

I remembered asking her out on a date, which took all of the courage I had. I was so happy when she said yes. 

When we were at the car, I noticed that she looked a bit uncertain and uneasy. I asked her what the problem was and she goofily smiled. 

"I want to call you with a different name." She shyly said. 

"Do you hate the name Kim Sojung that much?" I joked. 

"But everyone calls you Sojung. I want to be different so that you know that it's me when I'm calling you." 

I blushed after hearing her say that, "Yeah. I have another friend named Eunbi too. I keep getting confused about the both of you." 

Eunbi looked at me in shock, "You mean you have another Eunbi in your life?" 

She looked pretty disappointed and I kept myself from laughing because of her cuteness. 

"Don't worry. You're the only Eunbi in my heart." I cheesily said and she faked a gag. 

"I'll look for a name that we can call each other." She told me. "Kind of like an endearment."

I just nodded as we reached our destination.

I took her to an animal shelter. I thought that dates in a restaurant or in a mall is cliche. I wanted to show her something new. 

We reached the dog shelter and she was so happy upon seeing the puppies. She immidiately forgot about me and ran to the cute little pups. 

"This pup is named Sowon." One of the staff said to us. 

Eunbi looked down at the puppy she was hugging, "Sowon is a cutie." She happily smiled. "Sojung, she looks like you." 

I looked at her weirdly and she pouted. 

"I'm serious! Look at her." She held the puppy close to my arms and I had a staring contest with a dog. 

"Just because her fur is red and my hair is red doesn't mean we look alike." I protested. 

"Oh quit whining. Even her eyes have that same shade of black that you have. And she looks so warm and kind. She's so like you." Eunbi said while hugging the puppy. 

"Are you replacing me with a puppy?" 

"That's not a bad idea." She joked and I stuck my tongue out to her. I tried to look for a distraction as she was so busy playing with Sowon. 

I then saw a puppy with eyes that has my favorite shade of brown. I quickly picked the puppy up and asked the staff what her name was. 

"She's Sinb. She can be pretty hard to handle since she has an attitude but she's actually a really good dog." 

I looked back at the puppy in my arms. Her eyes really resemble Eunbi's eyes. Even her fur is in a dark shade of brown that's similar with Eunbi's hair. 

I unconciously smiled and didn't realize that Eunbi was beside me. 

"That puppy is cute." She said once she saw Sinb. 

"She is." I said and looked at Sowon. "She's cute too." 

Before we could say anything, the two puppies in our arms reached out for each other. Eunbi moved closer so that Sowon could reach Sinb. 

Sowon happily Sinb's face and Sinb back. We set them down to the floor and they cuddled happily. 

"Sowon and Sinb are actually married." The staff said once she noticed that we were watching the two puppies. 

"Sowon reminds me so much of you." Eunbi told me. 

"Sinb reminds me of you too." 

There was a moment of silence before Eunbi suddenly slapped my arm excitedly. 

I looked at her weirdly, "What is it this time?" 

"I'll call you Sowon now and you can call me Sinb." 

"Are you naming me after a dog?" 

"Be honored. The dog is cute!" 

I rolled my eyes but laughed, "So you're Sinb?" 

She nodded, "And you're Sowon." 

I nodded back. I kinda liked it. 

"No one is allowed to call you Sowon except for me." She added. 

"Well aren't you possessive?" I joked at her and she punched me by the shoulders. 

"Don't be stupid." 

---

The moment I laid my eyes on Sinb, I knew I loved her already. But we were on mutual understanding that it wasn't time for that. She wanted to finish school first and I wanted to  help my mother first. 

So even if we knew that we both liked each other, I never told her the words 'I love you' and she never did say it to me. Most people would rush it and be involved in a relationship as quickly as possible. But we aren't like that. Sinb once told me that she would kill me if I said the word 'I love you' to her. 

It was ironic really. We love each other and yet no words were mentioned about it to each other. We act like a couple. Going on frequent dates, holding hands, hugging. We do things that couples do. But when people ask us what we are, we would answer that we're just friends. Which everyone around us doesn't believe in. 

It was fine. I love Sinb and she loves me back. I know that without her telling me and she knows it too. The moment I say those three special words to her, that means that we're already ready. Ready for committment. Ready for risks and ready for love. 

It was after two years when I had decided to tell her those words. She had finally graduated and my mom had moved on. I had told my mom about Sinb and she was happy for me. 

I was in our favorite spot, the grass just accross the animal shelter where we had our first date. I was waiting for a while and finally saw a silhouette infront of me. 

"Hey." I smiled and pulled her down to sit with me. I was all smiles when I realized that her eyes looked red and swollen. I then noticed her tear streaked face. 

"What's wrong?" I held her hand and felt her trembling. 

"I know why you called me here." Her voice was shaking so much that I struggled to understand. 

"You do..." I sighed. 

"I'm sorry Sowon." She bit her lip and tears started to fall. I panicked and hugged her tight. 

"Don't cry. I get it that you're not ready yet. I can definitely wait." I said even if I did feel a bit disappointed. 

She softly pulled away from the hug and took a deep breath, "You can't wait anymore. I need you to stop." 

I was starting to get nervous at her words. Am I going to lose her? But I never did anything to upset her! I showed her how much I loved her! Why is she rejecting me...

I felt tears in my eyes but forced it back. "Why?" I asked. I couldn't even mask the hurt and disappointment in my voice. 

"You said you'd wait. And you told me I should too. Everything's settled now. We're fine now. Why do you suddenly want to slip away from me?" My voice cracked and I sobbed. 

I couldn't even bear to look at Sinb anymore but I could tell she was looking at me worriedly. 

"I...I need to stop seeing you now Sojung." It was the first time in years that she called me by my real name. 

"Atleast explain why!" I couldn't keep my voice restrained anymore. I looked at her and noticed pain in her eyes too. Her beautiful brown orbs were shrouded in tears and pain that it has lost it's glow. I decided that it was my least favorite shade of brown. 

"I can't! I don't want you to get hurt!" She shouted back at me. 

"What could hurt more than what I'm feeling right now?! Just tell it to me so that I could kill anymore feelings I have left for you." I didn't mean to say it and I immediately regretted it once I saw how hurt Sinb looked after I said that. 

"I can't." She sobbed and turned into an emotional mess. 

"Damn it Eunbi!" I called her with her real name and she flinched, "Who's the other person that you've been meeting behind my back? Who is it huh?! Is it a boy or a girl?!" 

I didn't want to be mean. I was so stupid that time and accidentally blurted out those words. I was just so hurt because I felt betrayed and cheated on. 

Sinb looked furious, "Why are you assuming that I'm meeting someone behind your back?! Do you really think that I'm that kind of woman?!" 

I was about to apologize for my stupidity when she suddenly stood up and left. I wanted to follow her but my legs wouldn't move. 

I felt so hurt. I felt like my world came crashing down. I was so happy earlier but then this happened. I regret everything I said. She must have had a reason but I ended up misunderstanding her. 

I laid down the grass and cried my heart out.  

---

It was a few days after and I was working as normal as I could in the coffee shop. I tried to be enthusiastic and happy but I would just break down everytime I saw the color red or brown. 

I still saw colors but it didn't feel the same anymore. I felt like I was back to seeing black and white. The world was still colorful but I just felt so dead that every color is dull. 

To hell with colors. I don't care about seeing colors anymore. What's important to me is Sinb. I want her back so badly. 

I tried contacting Sinb but she wouldn't answer me. Of course she wouldn't. What would she want from someone as stupid as me. 

I was mixing a bunch of flavors in the coffee when something that hasn't happened before in my whole life occured. 

My world suddenly turned black and white. 

I panicked and felt my heart drop. I closed my eyes and opened it. And to my relief, I saw colors again. 

I was breathing hard. It was the first  time in a few years that I had seen black and white again. Something must have happened with Sinb. 

I left the counter, trashing the apron at the side and asking Yerin to fill up for me again. I was rushing to every direction when I realized that I don't know where to go. 

I hastily got my phone and dialed Sinb's parents. It took a few rings before it was answered. 

"Sojung-ah." Mrs. Hwang's voice was shaking and I knew something bad must have happened. 

"What happened to Sinb, Mrs. Hwang?!" I couldn't control my voice. I was panicking so much. 

"Come to the hospital now." Her voice cracked. 

I felt myself getting weak. My phone fell from my hand. I was in utter shock for about a minute before running to the hospital. I didn't have the time to pick up a cab so I ran there even if it was miles away. 

My tears started falling as I was running. Why the hospital? What the hell happened to Sinb?! 

I tried to calm myself down. I'm still seeing colors. That means that whatever is happening now, Sinb is still alive. 

It was a few minutes after when I reached the hospital. I was gasping for air but I didn't mind myself as I ran in the hallway to reach where Mrs. Hwang was. 

When I saw her, she looked at me while crying. 

I couldn't speak since I was busy catching air and also since I don't know what to expect. 

"Sinb's in stage four lung cancer." Mrs. Hwang said. 

And at that moment, I crashed to the ground. It wasn't even because I was so tired of running. I just felt really weak that I couldn't even hold my ground. 

"Did she not tell you?" 

I tried to say no but my voice wouldn't come out. 

Mrs. Hwang told me how Sinb had recently found out about her desease just a few days ago. That moment when I shouted at her, that was the time when she was about to tell me about her sickness. And Mrs. Hwang also told me how Sinb had gotten worse in the past couple of days. She wouldn't eat, she wouldn't go out of her room. She didn't even recieve treatment anymore since she believed that there was no use to living anymore. 

I couldn't even talk. My tears wouldn't even come out. I'm just in utter shock that I felt so much pain that my body just began getting numb. 

So that day, when I called her a cheater and yelled at her, it was actually the day when she found out about her sickness? And the reason why she's in a critical condition now is because of me. Because I did that to her. 

I felt a mix of emotions at once. I felt guilty, angry, frustrated, sad, I wanted to jut kill myself for putting the girl I love into that. 

"Instead of ing helping her I made it worse!" I broke and threw the chair beside me as my tears started falling down. 

Mrs. Hwang looked at me sadly and I couldn't even face her. I felt so ashamed. This is all my fault...

I felt my chest tightening up and I couldn't breath. Everything just came crashing down. 

Why is it so unfair?! Just when I thought I could finally be happy. Just when I thought that I'm fine... Why do I have to up so much and cause pain to the most important person in my life?! 

"Sinb is dying because of me." 

I whispered to myself and sure enough I was a sobbing mess.

We were waiting outside the operating room when I remembered something. 

I excused myself from Mrs Hwang and ran outside the hospital to my house. I quickly ran to my room and opened th drawer full of flowers that I had collected when I was a kid. For the first time, I saw them. And I noticed how many red roses I had collected. 

"Red stands for love." I remember Sinb once said. 

I didn't know why I suddenly rushed back home to check the flowers. I just felt like it's the only thing that I could do. I grabbed all three of the red roses and ran back to the hospital, all the while praying that my eyesight doesn't start seeing black and white again. 

When I reached the hospital, I saw Mrs. Hwang sobbing while leaving the room. 

"What happened?" I panicked although I knew that Sinb is still alive since I could still see colors. 

"The doctors said she only has a few minutes left. I already talked with her. I think it's your time to do it now." 

I rushed inside without even thinking and saw Sinb again. She looked so frail, so weak and so pale. It hurt me seeing her in this state. I was trembling and gripping on the roses hard when I made my way to her. 

"Hey." I forced a word but my voice was cracking. 

"You...came." Her voice sounded like a whisper. It felt so weak. I looked at her and saw that her lips tugged into a smile. 

"I'm...s-sorry if I didn't t-tell you." She struggled to speak and I sushed her. 

"It's okay. It's not your fault." I cried.

"Don't cry Sowon." She weakly told me. 

"What do you expect me to do then." I bit my lip. Keeping myself from crying too hard. 

"Please call me Sinb for the last time." She asked.

"I love you Sinb." I finally said it. Those three words. Three words saying that I'm ready to risk everything for her. 

Her lips tugged into a smile. 

"I love you too Sowon." 

I showed her the three red roses that I got from home. 

"Red means love. I got you three roses because it means 'I love you'." I said and gave her the flowers and she happily accepted it. 

"Red is my favorite color because it's the color of your hair." She said. 

I moved closer to her and pecked her lips. It was our very first kiss. 

She then started crying. 

"I wish I could stay with you more. I'm sorry that I have to leave you." She sobbed. 

I wiped her tears away and kissed her again. "Don't be sorry."

 "Do you know what? My favorite color is brown because it's the color of your eyes." I added.

She looked at me and I took one last look at her beautiful brown orbs. 

I kissed her again. This time pouring all my emotions into the kiss and whispered, "I love you Sinb." 

"I love you too Sowon." 

We just kissed and I closed my eyes, savoring my last moment I have with the love of my life.

When I pulled away, her eyes are closed. 

And when I opened my eyes, all I saw was black and white.

-------

Author's note:

I do apologize that their characters may seem a bit far from what they usually are. It was for fanfic purposes ahahah. And I know Sinb has black eyes instead of brown but let me live.