AGE 8

A home by the Ocean.

It was a very exciting day today. You wanna know why? I was going to the aquarium! It was only down the street from our new house in Daegu. We had just moved down here from the capital, Seoul. Which i learnt lots about in school! My name is Kim Jongin- Or Kai! I am 8 almost 9. Anyway- My mama had dressed me in my nicest pair of pants and a cute shirt, she sang happily as she tapped her feet - brushing my hair down. She had been a lot happier since leaving my Papa. I didn't understand why. but i liked how happy my mama was now. 

“Alright handsome man, are you ready to go now?” She asks, smiling happily as she stood up. My mama was a beautiful Polynesian woman. I inherited her tan skin. My father was a Korean man, thats why we lived in Korea. She had a flower in her hair and a twinkle in her eye. 

“I am, Mama! Lets go.” i say excitedly as i grabbed for my little fish plushie. She strapped me into the car seat and we drove off, the newest music playing from the radio as she sang along to the newest music, her fingers drumming on the steering wheel. I watched as the big blue sign finally came into view, it was a big blue arch over the street, a 3D dolphin jumping over the sign in a frozen position. I squeaked din excitement, “Look Mama! Look at the dolphin!” i beam happily and she chimed in laughter.

The line seemed MASSIVE as we waited to get tickets and go in. There were big square fishtanks in the lobby, filled with these little fish with blue flecks and these massive fish that stuck to the glass and on it. I press my fish plush against the glass and was swiftly scolded by my Mama, my cheeks were now red as we received our tickets and made our way into a big dimly lit room with all these jellyfish over the walls, bobbing along cutely. I gasped, my eyes wide as i watched them. I held Mamas hand as we headed through the tunnel and through a big curtain, there were big cylinder shaped tanks now, from the floor to the room and they had… Well i don't know what these fishes were?

“Mama?” i tug on her had as i stared at one of the strange fish swim along, grabbing onto a piece of coral with its tail. “What is that?” She then explained to me about the Seahorses. Did you know the boy ones gave birth?! We passed through eh maze of seahorse tanks and found a big wall. I gasp. “It’s Nemo!” i squeaked excitedly as i ran up to see the orange and white striped fish pop in and out of its anemone. It swam aimlessly throughout its little ocean habitat. I held onto my Mamas hand as i followed her off through all these big aquariums. i spotted a large sign as we wandered, I tugged at Mamas hand. “Merman! Whats that?” I asked her curiously. She smiled and scooped me up in her safe and welcoming arms. 

We followed the big signs and went down a couple steps and found ourselves with a big tank filling the room. She walked up to the glass and i gasped softly at what my eyes met. It was this beautiful man… with a fish tail! He swam up to the glass and pressed his hand to it, a smile over his lips. He had gills on his neck, his tail longer than his upper torso. i reach out and press my fishy against his hand and he smiled, moving his hand back as he waved. “This is D.O.” The nice aquarium man says as D.O swam back and did a couple laps, i was enthralled by his existence. “The only known Merman in existence. He was found off the coast of Northern South Korea. Possibly from North Korea. He was starving and tangled in fishing line. He has been here ever since.” He informed us and i watched, he seemed so happy in this tank! He was swimming happily around, going up to the surface then back down again. 

“He has gills like a fish, but can breathe air like we do.” The man continued, my big eyes still following D.O. Completely astonished and amazed. “He is fed on fish, shrimp and when we can, squid. Not a lot is known about his existence, whether its natural or something created by the North Korean government to spy on us.” He told us and people hummed in acknowledgment. The man continued to give his well-rehearsed speech about D.O. He splashed his tail fin around as he swam through the water. His tank seemed a bit empty compared to what the pretty clownfish had before. No anemones or rocks or anything. Just a big tank. I my head to the side and he came to a halt, following my movements of tilting his head. i giggle and let my head fall to the other side, his doing the same as he smiled toothily at me. 

Mama soon started to move and i stressed. “Wait no mama- i wanna stay here! i wanna watch D.O!” I complained. “Now now where are your manners?” She raised an eyebrow at me and i went pink in the cheeks, looking away shyly. “I wanna stay here and watch D.O.” i whispered. “Please?” i blinked big eyes up at her and she gave a defeated sigh, smiling. “Alright. A couple more minutes.” She tells me. She set me down by the glass and i pressed against it. “This is my fishy!” ii showed D.O as i pressed it to the glass. He smiled and touched it through the glass. “His name is… he doesn't have a name! He is just Fishy.” I giggled happily. “Maybe i’ll call him D.O! Is that okay?!” His eyes twinkled and he nodded, he blew bubbles at me and they popped against the glass. I giggle excitedly and dropped fishy as i tried to touched the bubbles. 

“Ah, my clumsy boy.” Mama says softly as she picks up Fishy. I played around with D.O until Mama urged me off. I waved to him as we walked. “Bye bye D.O! Bye Bye!” He waved back at me and smiled. We moved through the rest of the aquarium but nothing was as good as D.O. When we got to the gift shop, i wanted the plush D.O! And Mama happily bought it for me. i hugged my fishy and my mini d.o as we left to the car. 

I complained to Mama for weeks afterwards about going again, and we did! A month later, on my birthday, we went to the aquarium again. I ran through to find D.Os tank. My Mini D.O in my arms - i slept with it every night.  I refused to sleep without it. He swam down to see me and i showed him my plush proudly. He gave a clap and smiled at me, “I missed you D.O!” i say happily. “Look! i have a mini you so i can take you home!” I say happily and he gave a small laugh, bubbles erupting into the water and disappearing as they reached the surface. I really liked being here, watching him swim and play in the water. I could watch this for hours… 

And i did. 

 

(A/N: Hi! First Chapter up. There are gonna be 7-8 chapters in total. Sorry this one is so short, i promise they're gonna get more depth as we go on~ Anywhos here's baby kai meeting his new idol.)