Everything is Going to be Okay

Does Marriage Have to be so Painful?

A light patter of feet and an almost inaudible sniffle break the silence as the door opens and closes quickly. There are no further noises as Kyungwon takes pride in keeping the room spotless and free of toe stubbing hazards, the same which can't be said for the neighboring rooms.

Minkyung turns over curious as she doesn't hear blankets rustling which would indicated Xiyeon getting onto her bed. Slowly sitting up her eyes adjusted to the darkness and she sees Xiyeon standing near their window staring into the sky.

The light reflects off her raven black tresses and Minkyung detects an familiar sadness to the way the youngest's shoulders are squared up. Slowly getting off her bed she walks up behind Xiyeon and wraps her in her arms, resting her head on the girl's shoulder to stare into the night sky in front of them, their minds lost in thought. Behind them Kyungwon gives off a particularly lady like snore, breaking the mood and causing the two to chuckle softly at their roommate's sleeping habits.

 

The silence resurfaces until Xiyeon finally let's out a shaky breath. “Does marriage have to be so painful?” Xiyeon asks softly. “I know that I'll get married someday too, but when I hear all the screaming and crying it seems so scary...” her voice pitters off sadly and a tear drops onto Minkyung's arm. Minkyung can't answer. 

While their marriage is far from rainbows and unicorns, Xiyeon's parents are still quite traditional and expect their daughter to marry and give them chubby clumsy little Xiyeons falling over left and right like tops. While the image makes Minkyung's eyes crinkle at how cute, she just hugs the girl in front of her tighter.

“Not everyone will find their true love, in fact most people will go through their whole lives just going through the motions, but they may never know what it means to love unconditionally and be loved back. It's probably for the better” Minkyung replies wryly. “Since they've never felt what it means, they won't feel the pain of knowing what they're missing out on.”

“I guess so, but I get so scared when they fight, is it even worth all that pain?” Xiyeon's voice betrays her young age. Because she's so mature, there are times Minkyung forgets that the girl is still a high schooler who needs hugs from her unnies when she's sad and needs someone to wipe her tears gently from her cheeks. 

 

“Come, I know you're worried but you have to rest too”, Minkyung suddenly drops her arms. Her fingers instinctively seek out and interlock with Xiyeons and they fit perfectly. “You can sleep with unnie tonight.” Xiyeon can feel her heart flutter a little at the words, and she climbs in after Minkyung and cuddles right up to her side resting her face in the crook of the older girl's neck.

A sense of overwhelming comfort and well-being sweeps through her body for the first time that night. Everything is going to be okay, with Minkyung's long arms wrapped around her shoulders pulling her closer until their bodies mesh together.

"How do you know what love really is then unnie?" Xiyeon asks now that she's calmer.

"Well, you only want to see that person smile, your heart hurts when they're hurt, and when you're with them you feel safe and comfortable. It's not perfect and you will have to deal with that person on their worst days, but you'll do it willingly." Minkyung answers thoughtfully. For someone who hasn't dated all through high school, she's kind of proud of how smart her answer sounds, although she can almost swears she can hear  a soft snort erupting from Kyungwon's side of the room. 

 

“Unnie, I want to be roommate's with you forever, until we're 60” Xiyeon whispers into Minkyung's neck, giving her a small bite on the collarbone, an action that had thrown Minkyung off the first time it happened.  Now her lips curl up into a smile while she gives Siyeon a gentle swat, despite knowing that it's an affectionate quirk that Xiyeon has for her favorite people.

 

“What? That's my line, Princess” Kyungwon's gravely sleeping voice sounds out from the bed across the room.