Final

Dear Perfect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

His name was Kim Jongdae, although he was not typically a well-known person - everyone in the kingdom was familiar with him and his job. Because of his hard work, the castle was filled with beautiful music almost all the time. It was said that there was no man or woman that didn't enjoy his music.

Writing songs was what everybody believed his main activity of the day is, but ever since Jongdae arrived in the castle, he started writing poetry more and more - specifically love poems.

It was as if his entire day was structured just so he could write beautiful words down onto a piece of paper and put them all together to design a sentence.

But, although his words were beautiful and always full of meaning, there was one thing Jongdae could never describe with words, and that was the prince. He would constantly try to come up with the perfect poem, using the prettiest words he knew to create the perfect description of the prince. He figured that was sort of impossible, as he believed that such words do not exist. Words that could exactly measure the prince's beauty and charisma.

That's why most of his poems and songs were secretly for the prince, because Jongdae was fascinated by him.

Baekhyun was the name; it was a name that Jongdae never used in his writings - in case somebody ever read them. The musician kept most of those to himself, but still - just in case, the prince's name was never mentioned, not even once. Instead, he searched for the best alternative to replace Baekhyun's name, and the only solution he could come up with was 'perfect'.

Even though they never actually met – Baekhyun is Jongdae's inspiration, his muse. He is the one thing he doesn't lose ideas to write about. So whenever the prince is in sight, he would write down every word that comes into his head and then create a poem out of the same.

He always keeps a distance from him as well – watching him from afar while he writes down everything he's being reminded of from that sight.

Later that night, he edited his poem for a while before proofreading it once more.

Perfect, no one else is like it,
than our sun – brighter,
more mysterious than the moon above,
you, perfect,
like the most beautiful spring flower, perfect.

He rolls the paper and ties the middle in a bow before staring out of the window of his tiny room – looking at the night sky. He lets out a long sigh and looks at the candle in front of him that began to flicker. He started to wonder if he should ever dare to make a move.

But who was he? He could never actually steal attention from Baekhyun, the emperor's son - it sounds like a wild dream to Jongdae. It sounds impossible, yet so easy. Yes, they've never spoken before but, Jongdae sometimes felt like the prince is aware of him when they're both outside in the garden. He believed to have caught the prince's eyes gazing back at him for a moment, and all of that made the musician's heart sing and his talented fingers reach for paper and ink so he can let his feelings out.

So he gets up from his wooden chair and leaves his room. It was a blurry moment when he decided to cross the line and give his poem to the prince – indirectly, of course.

The castle was partly awake and Jongdae easily found one of the main servants that he had faith in.

He handed him the poem that was in a form of a letter and said: "Could you please deliver this to the prince?"

The servant took the letter, nodding his head and giving Jongdae a little, friendly smile: "Of course." – he replies and then asks: "Something private?' to which Jongdae replies with: "Well, just a song." even though he knew the servant pretty well by now and he knew that he would never open someone else's letter, he still felt like telling the real truth would get him into trouble.

The next morning, Jongdae is eager for some sort of reaction, and he sees the prince standing on the balcony of his room. He's looking down at some of the workers and he locks eyes with Jongdae as well.

The artist bows to him, hoping that Baekhyun read his poem. Yet, Baekhyun gives no sign whether or not he read it. It made Jongdae question his action, thinking that maybe it was useless of trying to make contact with somebody like the prince himself. The same day, Baekhyun rides the kingdom's most beautiful white horse through the fields of grass. It was something he often did, but this time Jongdae felt sparks of inspiration kicking in and he finds himself taking out a piece of paper and writing a brand new poem for him.

Perfect, you,
this light that spreads shamelessly over wild meadows,
if only you knew how it sparkles and shines,
so much that the sun complains yet timidly surrenders,
allowing you to rule warmth on land.

He sends that poem to Baekhyun through the main servant later that evening and once again – he receives no reply of any sorts.

Slightly disappointed, Jongdae just wonders why?

A single thought of giving up appears but he sees the prince in the garden full of flowers the next day, so he stands behind a bush and secretly watches him admiring some of the flowers.

The sight leaves him captivated somehow, almost dazed – and Jongdae wants to write again, forgetting the fact that the prince is somewhat already ignoring two of his letters.

He takes a seat and opens the little jar of ink he carries with himself everywhere, then he starts to write.

You, perfect,
when through kingdom's most beautiful flowers you glide,
they bow down to you,
flattered of your beauty,
so irreplaceable and high.

He searches for the same servant once more and asks if the prince has received the letters, to which he says that he has, probably.

"Probably?" – Jongdae asks in confusion and the servant is quiet for a moment, as if he doesn't know what to say, but then he goes: "Well, I did pass it to the guards in front of his room..."

Jongdae is sad that night and stays outside, alone, playing a slow-paced song on his violin. It was a song he made for the prince, and it often filled the night air, so people in the castle all knew that it was their musician, Jongdae – once again playing his sad, romantic song. He glances at the balcony of Baekhyun's room and he starts crying silently, his heart wishing he was there. It was as if Baekhyun recognized the melody that he got out on his balcony.

And Jongdae then looks at him; tears have stopped forming in his eyes as he watches the prince looking up at the sky full of stars. He then sighs slowly and lowers his view onto the musician, with his hands on the fence.

Jongdae continues the song, not skipping a single note as he stands up – looking at the prince. His heart beats faster because the prince is watching him too.

They keep on looking at each other's eyes and when Jongdae finishes the song after a few moments, he looks down – bowing to Baekhyun. After that, he looks up at him and Baekhyun gives him a sweet smile. He leaves a couple of seconds later, getting back into his room. But, Jongdae is happy, he runs back to his little room and leaves his violin on the bed, searching for clear paper under his desk.

He still doesn't know how Baekhyun feels, but he cannot erase that beautiful smile out of his mind. His heart flutters as the thinks that maybe Baekhyun has read everything he'd sent up till now. He takes a seat and lights the candle that is placed on the left side of his desk, and then begins writing.

Perfect, you,
only one with priceless beauty,
most wonderful sight of my day,
clear like waters hidden deep in the mountains – untouched,
that ends thirst of men that for you burn, perfect.

The lovely smile he got from before makes him feel better and braver, so he sends this one as well. He thinks that, maybe Baekhyun needs more proof of his feelings, so that's why he only gave out a sign today.

He feels joyful the next morning and he plays a bright song for everyone in the castle to enjoy. Baekhyun arrives there as well and he stands a few meters away from Jongdae, and Jongdae thinks they've never stood this close before. He watches Jongdae play the violin, and when Jo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter