Let's Celebrate Love

Crush: for those who didn't give up on love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeno was having a really, really bad day.

He was tired, fatigued and weary, and even the sweet aroma of caffeine couldn’t fix his rather dysfunctional consciousness. He was late for his first class since he over slept. Apparently, his best friend, Donghyuck, had left early and since they share an apartment together, the latter forgot to wake him up. Renjun, their other roommate, was working on a project at his friend’s house so he wasn’t able to come back home.

As Jeno was running to his classroom, silently praying that he could still make it on time so he could avoid a scolding from their scary professor, he dumped into someone unintentionally, hitting the said stranger by the shoulder as he passed by. Jeno quickly turned to the other, spun his body around and apologized sincerely, his eyeglasses falling slightly from the bridge of his nose before he pushed it back. Both their eyes met briefly and the contact made Jeno’s breath get caught at the back of his throat. The other seemed to be chewing on something, a hamburger wrapper on his hand. The guy hastily swallowed the food he had in his mouth to respond and offered Jeno a friendly smile before he shook his head, and said that it was alright, that it was an accident. His smile was mesmerizing; Jeno couldn’t stop gawking at soft honey hue orbs that bore onto his. But the thought of his next class came to mind, he hurriedly took his leave and went to his classroom without looking back— if he wasn’t in a hurry, he would have stayed.

 

November 9, 2016

I accidentally bumped into someone today. It was weird. It was the first time I’ve saw him ever since the start of the semester. I left in a hurry so I wasn’t able to get his name. Who was that?

 

 

Jeno, Renjun and Donghyuck have been friends for a long time, longer than any of them could remember, so Jeno knew both of them very well. They were best friends and Jeno was well aware that Donghyuck had this bad habit of being tardy and forgetting important meetings; sometimes Jeno questions why they were even friends, why he even bothered keeping up with him in the first place. Good thing they had Renjun. The oldest of the three was the only one keeping them sane; he neutralizes them both.

He and Donghyuck had a project for a mutual minor class of theirs and were assigned to be partners. Although being in different degree programs, they adjusted their schedules accordingly and decided to meet up at a fast food chain to discuss their plans that afternoon. And of course, Donghyuck was nowhere to be found when the time they agreed on passed by. Although flooding the younger with countless of texts, all Jeno received in return was a simple message stating that Donghyuck was with Mark, his boyfriend, and will be there in a second. Not even a single apology or emoji, typical.

Jeno stuffed his phone back into his pockets and sighed deeply. To kill some time while he waited for the younger to arrive, the latter decided to order something at the counter, to fill his empty stomach. He had been engrossed with revising his notes earlier that he hadn’t fathom that he hadn’t eaten anything.

Carrying his tray, he scanned around the vicinity, searching for a vacant seat to sit on. And then, he saw him. Again.

The familiar looking boy was by himself, on one table meant for two, his bag sat across him. He had his head hang low, eyes fixated on a notebook on the table— he was probably studying. From the looks of it, he was already on his second burger when Jeno passed behind him, burger wrappers crumpled messily on the side of his tray. The latter couldn’t help a breathy chuckle that escaped his lips when he saw the other. He was really cute; cheeks full of food while his eyes screamed concentration.

 

November 11, 2016

I saw that boy again today. He was by himself. Honestly, he looked cute while munching happily on that hamburger. This is the second time I’ve seen him with a burger. Does he really like burgers that much?

 

 

 

“What is it?” Renjun suddenly asked when he noticed Jeno had his head turned to the side, eyes focused on somewhere. Their classes had just finished and they were walking home. Renjun was in the middle of talking about their homework, carefully laying out a plan on how they’ll get started on it when they get home. At the lack of response when Renjun asked him if was alright with the idea did the Chinese male only realized that Jeno’s attention was elsewhere the whole time.

The latter straightened himself up and shook his head, not looking straight into Renjun, clearly evading contact, gripping tightly onto the strap on his backpack. “Nothing?”

They had just passed by at the burger joint, and a certain boy with soft brown locks and a blinding smile who was sitting close to the window caught Jeno’s eyes.

 

November 14, 2016

Okay, so maybe he really does like burgers more than I thought.

 

 

 

“Jeno-ah, are you even listening to me?” Renjun had asked Jeno the same question for the nth time that day already. They were at the library, seating in front of the other, notebooks scattered on the table with several borrowed books on the side. They were working on their homework yet Jeno seemed unfocused, his attention was divided and he looked like he was day dreaming from the way his eyes sparkle uncharacteristically.

Renjun’s voice reeled him back into reality, Jeno blinked cluelessly as he snapped out of his trance. “What did you say?” he asked. The older was frowning at him and Jeno felt somewhat apologetic for causing it. Jeno was in a daze, the thought of fast food chains and greasy burgers seemed to have filled his mind yet again.

 

November 15, 2016

Does he go to that place often?

 

 

 

“You’re spacing out again,” Renjun whispered softly, meant for Jeno, as he spared the younger a worried glance. Jeno hadn’t said anything the entire time they were together, he was deep in thought, staring into space and Renjun was starting to worry; Jeno was never like this before. Sure, he talks less than most people but never to this extent. The older of the two offered him lunch, to cheer him up somehow— Renjun’s treat— after they were done with their work, to the nearest place they could find that was close to their university; the local burger joint where a certain male that had been able to pique Jeno’s interest for the past few days frequents.

But he wasn’t here today, Jeno thought as he openly scanned the area when they arrived. There was no sign of that particular boy.

“I’m not,” Jeno answered, dismissing the topic as they went to place their orders and searched for vacant seats. Although Jeno was acting slightly defensive, Renjun was quick to catch the smile that graced the younger’s lips as he reached for his hamburger and happily devoured it.

 

November 16, 2016

Every time that I see him on that same table, he gives me the feeling that he’s waiting for someone. Is he?

 

 

 

“What are you staring at?” it was Donghyuck’s turn to ask. It was their free period, and both boys were at the library, studying. Renjun wasn’t with them, though, the eldest had somewhere to be. Exams were slowly coming up and they’ve been trying to study as early as possible. Renjun hated cramming and that attitude of his seemed to have rubbed off on his two best friends.

“Nothing,” Jeno answered nonchalantly, internally proud of himself for not stuttering with his words. He had got better at lying to his friends lately.

“You’ve been out of it lately. What’s up with you?” Donghyuck’s face scrunched in concern, wondering what was wrong.

“Hey Hyuck, do you know who that is?” Jeno prompted, pointing his pencil to where the boy he had been staring at was, but careful enough so that he wouldn’t be seen.

The younger slightly turned to look at where Jeno’s gaze was before he returned back to him. “Jaemin? Na Jaemin?”

“So you do know him?” Jeno asked.

“We have a class together. Why?”

“Nothing,” he shrugged. “Just asking.”

 

November 18, 2016

I was at the library today and I saw him again. Donghyuck was with me and I asked Hyuck if he knew him, and surprisingly, he did. Hyuck told me that his name was and that he was a friend of Mark, Donghyuck’s boyfriend, too.

 

 

 

“There you go again,” Donghyuck rolled his eyes as Jeno was staring at afar yet again. How many times had this happened lately while they were together? It had turned into a habit of his and Donghyuck actually found the newly discovered routine to be both distracting and annoying at the same time.

“I’m not doing anything,” Jeno replied with furrowed brows, not comprehending the reason behind his best friend’s comment.

“Like story,” Donghyuck scoffed impassively, clicking his tongue. “Renjunnie, Jeno isn’t listening,” he turned to the eldest, looking for someone to be on his side.

“Hyuck, leave him alone.” But instead, Renjun scolded him softly, head still buried deep in a book, not wanting to be disturbed, determined on finishing it until the agonizing mystery was unveiled.

Donghyuck pouted, feeling rejected; it made Jeno chuckle.

 

November 21, 2016

Na Jaemin. It’s perfect somehow. His name really suits him.

 

 

 

“You seem dispirited today. It is about that quiz earlier?” Renjun asked. They were walking home when Renjun suddenly suggested that they make a quick stop to the grocery store to buy some ingredients they could cook dinner with. Their last class was pretty demanding and both were tired, and food just makes everything seem better. They wanted nothing more than to eat and sleep till the next day but no, college always found a way to their lives off.

“I’m fine.”

“You sure?” Renjun queried further, not quite believing the younger.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

November 24, 2016

I haven’t seen him in campus lately. I wonder how he is.

 

 

 

“Donghyuck told me you had your eyes set on Na Jaemin,” Mark coolly asserted when he magically appeared in front of Jeno at the hallway, the older had his back leaned against the cold metal of Jeno’s locker, arms wrapped around his chest, eyes focused on the younger, and his signature seagull like eyebrows were perked in interest. Both males were waiting for Donghyuck and Renjun to arrive so they could head to the cafeteria and grab some lunch together.

“I-I..” Jeno was sceptical on how to answer back, finding much difficulty in stringing together a coherent sentence that wouldn’t sound too defensive.

“It’s alright, man,” Mark assured, reached a hand and gave Jeno an encouraging pat on the shoulder, before he straightened his body as he caught sight of Donghyuck and Renjun walking towards them. “You don’t have to deny anything.”

 

November 25, 2016

Mark told me what Jaemin has been up to lately. He’s busy. No wonder, I haven’t seen him so much compared before.

 

 

 

“Jeno, concentrate, please,” Renjun reprimanded, his tone was stern and somewhat commanding but it was still gentle to the ears. They were in the middle of preparing for another spontaneous report their professor had mercilessly gave them to present on the next day and both were cramming everything. Renjun was already stressed out, fingers busy running across the keyboard of his laptop, almost at his wit’s end, and Jeno’s mind was drifting away from the task at hand again—it was adding to Renjun’s worries and distress.

Renjun knew for a fact that Jeno had a crush on someone but this was freaking ridiculous. Renjun wasn’t going to let the younger forsake their grades just for someone who he was infatuated with, no way in hell. “We have to get this done before second period. Focus for a second!”

 

November 28, 2016

I hope he’s doing well.

 

 

 

It was early in the morning; about 6 o’clock when Jeno got out of bed and prepared for school. He even woke up before Renjun could. What a miracle.

Although the late November morning breeze was freezing and his body was shivering from the cold, Jeno dropped by at the burger joint to order a cheese hamburger for takeout. When he arrived at campus, he quietly stalked pass the hallway, in search for Jaemin’s locker which he recognized almost instantly. He wasn’t some creepy stalker, okay, mind you.

At first he thought it was a bad idea but now he knew why Donghyuck was very persistent on teaching him who to pick a lock last summer vacation. For emergencies, Jeno remembered Donghyuck saying. Yeah. And this was also definitely an emergency.

After making sure that no one would see what he was about to do— it was a crime to break into someone else’s locker after all— head turning left and right simultaneously to be certain that the coast was clear, he opened the lock with ease. He closed the locker gently after putting the paper bag with a small note inside, not wanting to make a noise and made his way back to his classroom like nothing happened.

It was swift and quick. Jeno hoped that the other will appreciate the small gesture.

 

November 29, 2016

I did something petty today. But I hope it makes him smile somehow.

 

 

 

“What are you doing?” Renjun probed, a hint of irritation in his voice but it was hardly palpable and he did a good job at hiding it since Jeno hadn’t been able to detect anything wrong. Renjun was really smart— he was bound to graduate college with Latin honors—, which is why it was unusual of him to ask Jeno the same question when he already knew what the younger will answer him with.

Jeno was writing something on a notebook, a journal rather. He immediately closed the note when he felt that the older was near, just behind him. Though Jeno knew that Renjun wouldn’t peak— Renjun wasn’t like Donghyuck after all—, Jeno was just being vigilant, wanting to keep those innermost thoughts and feelings he had shamelessly poured onto each page, a secret. “Nothing?”

 

November 30, 2016

I wonder if he’s eating another hamburger right now. Yeah, he probably is.

 

 

 

“You like him, don’t you?” Donghyuck asked straightaway, not beating the bush. It was completely out of the blue, but Jeno saw it coming nonetheless. Donghyuck was too nosy for his own good and his curiosity was getting the best of him. Not waiting for Jeno to answer back, the younger added, “No wonder you asked for his name.”

Jeno made no reply, instead, his focus was solely on the work sheet he had in front of him, wanting to finish it before Renjun blows a fuse again about not being him grade conscious. Renjun’s patience on him was growing thin and he didn’t want to push his luck and risk getting scolded at again.

“Renjun, say something,” Donghyuck urged the other, not liking the fact that Jeno had just ignored his question. “Jeno’s hiding his crushes from us. He never does that before.”

“It’s not our right to pry, Hyuck,” Renjun answered simply, shrugged his shoulder without bothering to spare the younger a glance, hands busy scribbling down his notebook.

“You’re no fun.”

 

December 6, 2016

Donghyuck keeps asking questions about Jaemin, if I like him or what. Honestly, I don’t know how to answer them.

 

 

 

They were alone; Jeno and Renjun. Their classes ended early that day and both headed straight back to their apartment. Donghyuck still had his major so they were the only ones there. They both decided to watch a movie to entertain themselves.

“Do you like him?” Renjun asked in an almost hushed voice, as if afraid to scare the younger off with his question, while Jeno was picking out a movie from the vast collection of dvds Donghyuck owned. Renjun was already at the couch, a bowl of popcorn on his lap, not forgetting to leave a space for Jeno beside him. Jeno was unable to come up with a comeback, pretending he didn’t hear the question, he continued on flipping through several disk cases until he pulled out a romantic comedy flick and announced that it’ll be what they will watch.

 

December 7, 2016

Renjun asked me today if I like Jaemin. I’m not really sure. Maybe?

 

 

 

“I have to tell you something,” was the first thing Mark said when he approached Jeno across the hall, his tone sounded serious and it made Jeno’s lips curl down into a frown, clutching the books he had his arms tightly.

 

December 8, 2016

Mark told me that Jaemin has been going through a lot of trouble with his major lately. Something about his project proposal being rejected and he’s been feeling down about it. That . I hope he’s doing alright.

 

 

 

Donghyuck already gave up trying to get Jeno to listen to him as he was talking while they were at the cafeteria; his efforts would be futile if he did. The older one had caught sight of Na Jaemin when the latter entered the room with his friends in toll, engrossed in a conversation. Jeno hadn’t taken his eyes off him since then, following his every move as they made their way to their usual table besides Jeno’s. Seeing Jaemin smile genuinely as he talked to his friends, without any reservations whatsoever, made Jeno smile unconsciously, too. Jaemin’s smiles were contagious.

Donghyuck ridiculed Jeno for being whipped when he took out his phone and stole of a picture of the love struck fool sitting in front of him. For blackmail purposes.

 

December 9, 2016

I’m glad he looks like he’s doing alright. I hope he knows that that there’s someone who will always be rooting for him. I’ll always be here for him.

 

 

 

It was a Saturday. As Jeno was busy tidying up his room, changing his bed sheets, and folding his clothes, out of nowhere, an invisible bulb lighted above his head. A bright idea then came flooding his mind.

 

December 10, 2016

I don’t know if it’s stupid but I thought of something to cheer Jaemin up somehow. I’ll ask help from the guys about it.

 

 

 

“It’s stupid, dude,” Donghyuck commented after Jeno was done explaining what he wanted to do for Jaemin. The whole idea was cringe-worthy, so cheesy that it made Donghyuck grimace as he turned to Jeno, shaking his head disapprovingly. “I can’t believe you thought of something like that. And I’m being honest here.”

“Well, I for one think it’s cute,” Renjun chimed in which made Donghyuck doubt if he even listened to what Jeno had said or he was just playing favorites again. Renjun really spoiled Jeno too much.

At the elder’s response, it made Jeno smile, his eyes crinkling to form those infamous crescent moons that made girls and guys alike swoon over him for. “Thanks, Renjun. You’re a true friend.”

“And what am I?” Donghyuck asked incredibly, feeling somewhat betrayed yet acting fake hurt.

“Shut up, Hyuckkie.”

 

December 11, 2016

I told my friends about it and Donghyuck thinks my plan is cliché and cheesy. Typical Lee Donghyuck. But Renjun thinks otherwise. He said it’s really sweet and I trust his judgement. I hope Jaemin thinks that way too.

 

 

 

Donghyuck thought it was a horrible idea and even dragged Mark into kept talking Jeno out of it. But Renjun thought it wasn’t half bad so he decided to go with the plan— Renjun was the wisest in their group so Jeno could trust his judgment. The plan was simple; distract Jaemin long enough so Jeno could leave him another burger. Jeno thought of doing the same thing again— just leaving it in his locker— but Jeno wanted this time to be a tiny bit special compared to before. He wanted everything to be special for Jaemin; he deserves something like that once in a while.

Like they had gone over and over again the plan numerous times prior, Renjun passed by Jaemin, who was sitting by himself on a nearby bench, close to their department’s building, and intentionally dropped his books in front of the other. And just like as Jeno had predicted, Jaemon stood up from where he was previously at and helped Renjun picked up his books. As the other was busy assisting Renjun, Jeno passed by and left a burger to where his things were. Attached on top of the wrapper was another small note, a rather simple, please smile more often. Then, Jeno left when Renjun did, giving him a hi-five when they crossed paths. Jeno turned back slightly and saw a bright smile plastered on Jaemin’s face when he saw his favorite greasy food besides his bag and notes.

Mission accomplished.

 

December 13, 2016

He looked happy. I’m glad he liked it.

 

 

 

Donghyuck was the laid back type, he was pretty outgoing and carefree. He liked going with the flow and hated over complicating things, but there were some instances where he was certain that he had to step up and put his foot down. And this vague push-and-pull game that Jeno had going on between him and his very

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter