Play For You

Confessions: Play For You

 

He saw it as soon as he opened his locker. A little square of thick paper with an ink drawing on one side and a note on the back.
Meet me in the music hall after class.
I want to give you something.
Jun.

Jun. His heart beat just a little bit faster, wondering what exactly Jun could have planned, why he would choose to leave a cryptic note rather than asking him in person.
But there were many things he didn’t understand about Jun – how one person could be so incredibly gifted in both music and dance and simultaneously oblivious to his own talent, how he could be so beautiful and yet seemingly eternally single, how there wasn’t a hair colour that he didn’t suit, that didn’t make Ryan want to run his fingers through his hair. But most of all, he couldn’t understand why everything about his friend was just so incredibly charming, why Ryan had found himself slowly falling more and more in love with the slender boy.
He already couldn’t wait for the end of his last class to come.
It felt like the day was stretching, every second drawing out to a minute, every minute dragging out into an hour. The end of the day couldn’t come quick enough. He gazed at the clock, willing the hands to turn faster, to speed time on her way, but to no avail. He tapped his fingers and fidgeted in his seat until finally, at long last, the last lesson came to a close.
Ryan had never packed up faster, the spark of excitement within him giving him a sudden burst of speed. He hadn’t seen Jun since yesterday, having few classes in common with the boy, and the anticipation was building. He was the second person out of the class and, pushing past the first, he rocketed off down the hall to make his way outside and across to the music hall.
The music hall was a large old fashioned building with imposing double doors and tiered steps up to them. At lunch time students would sit on the steps to eat but Ryan himself tended not to go there unless accompanying one of his more musical friends. He paused at the bottom of the steps, gazing up at the tall structure before him before taking a deep breath and stepping forwards. 
The wooden doors were heavy and swung closed behind him with a resounding thud. He stood in the foyer, in the middle of the tiled floor, wondering where exactly Jun had intended to meet him. There were various rooms off the either side and stairs up to a balcony that ran around on the level of the first floor and giving access to more rooms. Practice rooms and study rooms. Ahead, two successive sets of double doors led into the music hall itself.
Well, he might as well check the hall first, right? He moved through the first set of double doors but found the second set to be locked when he tried them so he turned and tried the door set into the wall on his left, knowing that it also led into the hall. This one wasn’t locked, swinging open with ease at his touch. He turned right in the corridor on the other side and made his way through yet another door.
The music hall beyond was dimly lit, just the one circle of light illuminated in the centre. And there, his hair shining under the lights, stood Jun, his bow and violin in hand. As Ryan entered, he raised the violin to his shoulder, readying himself to play. The hall fell into an expectant silence as Ryan stilled, watching the boy and waiting. He daren’t speak; he didn’t wish to break the sudden, delicate tension that had risen. After another tense moment, Jun finally moved, the soft sound as he began to play permeating the space.
Ryan was entranced. It was beautiful, his friend skilfully weaving a melody that seemed to alter every time he felt he could predict what would come next and Jun... Jun was lost in the music, his entire body moving with it as he played, eyes fluttering closed as he concentrated on playing alone. He was so absorbed, in his own world, and that in itself was enchanting; nothing was more amazing to Ryan than watching someone enjoying something they were truly good at. He lamented when Jun finally stopped, turning to carefully place both violin and bow down on a table a little way behind him that Ryan hadn’t noticed until then. 
And then he turned back, facing the darkness. He looked hesitant, nervous even, twisting his fingers together as he glanced at the floor before he looked up, straight ahead. Ryan wasn’t sure what he was looking at. But then Jun spoke and it all became irrelevant.
“Will you,” he began, “will you go out with me...?” A soft blush had risen in his cheeks and he looked awfully shy as he scuffed the toes of his sneakers on the floor. Ryan stepped forwards, opening his mouth to say yes, when someone else stepped into the circle of light and Ryan felt his heart shattering. His hopes had been raised so high only to plummet further than he could ever imagine.
He watched, barely able to breathe, as Justin stepped into the light before Jun, opened his mouth with a soft smile and said yes. Who knew one word could hurt so much? His chest ached as Jun allowed Justin to take his hands in his. They seemed to fit together perfectly and it hurt. But then Jun turned slightly, looking right into Ryan’s eyes. His mouth opened and he said;
“I meant both of you.” Ryan’s heart soared.