Last Page

Pages

Summary: Baehkhyun has a phobia  
                     and Chanyeol comes to 
                     cure it.

 

A/N: This is my SPM essay but in chanbaek version. It's kind of short but enjoy it anyways. This story is in Baek's POV.

Word count: 2k

 

 

 

 

 

CLICK!

 

 

My body froze. I looked at my surroundings as it suddenly became dark black. Mila's voice echoed at the back of my mind as I remembered back her words.

 

"Baek Hyun, can you help me put back this baseball bat in the store at the gymnasium?", Mila asked as she smiled sweetly at me. Being a good junior as I was, I nodded as I took the rusty bat off her hand. 

 

Her eyes was slanted a bit as she handed me the bat. She was still smiling and  that was kind of her to smile at me this long.

It looked fake though.

 

 

Fear enveloped me as I realised the situation I was in. I could not believe Mila tricked me and made me trapped in this store alone. It was dark and the air was stuffy. The cold wind bit my skin and I shivered a little. My heart thumped fast as I felt the dark slowly suffocating me.

 

It was scary and horrifying. I could not see anything, it was as if I was blind. I took a breath to calm myself down but it was no use. 

 

"Help..." , my voice shook as I spoke. I could not stand this little space. It was as if I was cornered by big tall walls and  it was trapping me. Never letting me goas my body drowned into the dark abyss. 

 

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I sobbed alone, kneeling down while roaming my hands around, trying to find the door. My breath hitched when my hand suddenly  touched something that   somewhat rounded in shape. 

 

Assuming the cold rounded metal that I touched was a doorknob, I quickly got up and knocked the door.

 

BANG! BANG! BANG!

 

"Anybody outside? Please help me! I'm trapped in here!", I shrieked as my voice trembled with fear.

 

Silence.

 

"Hello? Please, anybody help me..  Please help me..",I muttered slowly, realising the harsh reality that nobody was outside.

 

Again. Silence.

 

 

"Baek Hyun?"

 

My eyes wide opened.

 

"Hello? Anybody please help me!"

 

"Baek? Wait a minute, I'm trying to open the door",  a hoarse voice retorted.

 

I  broke out in tears as I saw a glimpse of light as the door opened slowly. Expecting that maybe some of my best friends managed to save me, I got ready to hug my savior as  a big appreciation. The door opened, revealing a man that I never saw before, smiling brightly as if he just saw the love of his life.

 

My arms hanged in the air as I stopped my hug in the midair, too shocked. He walked towards me and stared deep into my eyes.

"Baek! I finally found you," He broke the silence and hugged me first. I was stunned.

 

 

 

 

His hair was brown and straight, a bit long for a man but it looked neat as he made it into a cute bun. He was a foreigner, judging from how he stumbled with his words.

 

I learned later his name was Chan Yeol, a half Korean. He was a pianist in a little cafe located near the school which was I never noticed before. I did not ask how did he know my name or even knew how did I ended trapped in the store.

I just glad that someone was able to save me that night. That along was just enough.

 

 

"You have claustrophobia, right? Fear of small space". He asked me one day.

I nodded slowly as I took a glance of his silhouette playing the old piano at the corner of the cafe. The cafe was our secret little rendezvous and we always met up there to chat about random things.

 

"Do you know that music can heal?", he asked again, one finger on one of the piano key. I shook my head.

 

"Music is so powerful. You can feel happy while listening to it and then you can suddenly  cry. It's like you are riding a rollercoaster with full emotions. Up and down. However the most powerful thing it can do is, healing soul." His eyes glimmered as he talked about it but something was off. 

Just like the song he played, the melody was soothing and calming, but somehow there was a tint of sadness in it.

 

"That's why..whenever you feel down, you can listen to songs that can lift up your feelings or whenever you feel scared you can sing or hum songs." , he beamed  at me ear - to - ear.

 

He looked so happy but little bit I know that somewhere deep in my heart, that there was something that keeping him uneasy. 

His eyes were glassy. 

I hoped it was not tears. 

 

 

 

He taught me on how to play piano  and day by day we became close to each other. I was lying if I said did not fall in love with him. It was love at a first sight.

 

Nevertheless, I fell in love with music too. I even asked my mother to buy me a piano and I started practicing at home. His favourites are classical  music so I thought of playing one of the most beautiful pieces in the world, Fur Elise. I even managed to overcome my fears by listening to songs that he played.

 

 

"Hey, Yeol. What do you do in your pastime besides playing piano?" I asked him one day. Upon hearing my sudden question, he chuckled lightly. 

 

" Why? Why are you curious about me? I just like playing piano though, " the brunette snickered.

 

"But..you know, I never saw you do anything else other than playing piano," I pouted, feeling upset at his answer. Laughing off my pouted face, he suddenly gazed at my eyes.

 

"It's reading. I love reading books about life tragedy," he spoke with a husky voice.

 

"Oohh.. Interesting. What was the latest story you read? Tell me about it." I tilted my head cutely while looking at him lovingly. 

 

There he came again. 

 

It was that expression again. 

 

That glassy eyes again. 

 

That sad smile again. 

 

It was as if he was keeping something inside him.

 

"Let me remember it again. I think it's about a boy? Or a girl? Yeah..I don't  really remember but I  think the protagonist was being bullied because of her or his trauma," he grinned, showing his shiny white teeth.

It was obvious though. 

That smile, it was fake. 

A facade.

 

Why are you keeping all of it to yourself?

 

 

"Oh, what happened to him at the end?"

 

Why are you making that face?Why did you feel sad?

 

"He..or was it she? Well..he took suicide." 

 

A plain smile.

Hey, Chan Yeol.
Why aren't you crying?

 

 

 

"This song is in D major, right?", I heaved a breath as I played the piece. He nodded while humming the melody of the song. I looked at his features carefully. His white pale skin and his beautiful almond shaped eyes. His eyes' colour was hazel brown and his eyelashes were long and and jet black.

 

He was flawless and good looking,  not to mention his kindness.  We  became so close yet why did I feel that he wasn't in my reach. 

 

Day by day, I felt he was becoming  afar from my grasp. 

 

I wanted him to know my feelings.

 

 

 

 

 

"Hey, did you have any place you wanted to go?," he asked me one day.

" Are you asking me out right know? Is this a date?" I asked back jokingly. His face glowed and his apple of cheeks became as red as cherry.

 

"Yeah, anything wrong with that?" He stuttered clumsily. 

 

"Cinema. I want to watch movies. I've never been in the cinema before because of my phobia," I retorted.

 

"Then, this Saturday we meet up at the cafe,"he grinned.

 

'This would be my best chance to play him Fur Elise', I thought to myself. 

 

 

 

The air was crisp, the sun shone brightly behind the fluffy blue skies. There were flock of peoples around the city mall, considering it was holiday, some with family and some with friends. The waiting  was so long and my heart had never beat this fast in my life.

"Did you wait long?"he tapped my shoulder, smiling sheepishly. I turned to him and shook my head.

"Let's go,"he offered his hand, just like a prince asking a princess a dance. Feeling giddy all inside, I gladly took his hand  and we walked side by side as we entered the cinema.

 

 

 

"I can't believe I just watched a movie in a cinema," I screamed in joy, as we walked out from the the theatre hall.

Feeling exuberant all over myself, I jumped shamelessly and childishly in front of Chan Yeol. 

"Looks like your claustrophobia has been cured," the latter said, holding my hand securely. I nodded excitedly as a response.

 

"Where do you want to go after this?" He asked. 

"Can we just chilling in the cafe?" I muttered, not confident, with intention to confess my love for him at the cafe.

"Sure, but I want to go to some places first. Can you wait me at the cafe? I will buy you food," he said, hands trembled, looking somewhat uncomfortable.

"Yeah, sure. I will go first," I said, letting go of his hand.

 

 

" W-wait!" He pulled and grasped my hand suddenly, crushing our bodies together.

I could feel my heart hammering inside my chest and my body froze as he hugged tighter. 

He took a heavy breath and his body was shaking as he said the sacred words.

 

"Ich liebe dich"

 

 

 

Time seemed to stop. I leveled my eyes to his and I could see nothing but pure love inside his eyes. His lips curved into a pleasant smile as I nodded my head. 

There was nothing could beat my happiness that day.

 

 

 


That evening, I waited at the cafe as usual, but he did not come.

Yet, I still waited.

He never came.

He never came after that day.

 

 

 


It had been 6 years since that day. I still did not forget how regretful I was that day. I took a long time to move on. I even ought to find him around the country but the result was to no avail. 

The cafe now was left deserted. Looking around the sullen place, I brushed  the dust off the old piano. 

 

Chan Yeol has gone. 

 

He was gone. 

 

It was as if he  was never existed.

 

 

I'm now a music therapist. My daily jobs are curing peoples with trauma and phobia like once I was.

Music became a part of my life as it was only the remnants of  him I have left. 

Every morning, I will play Fur Elise, in hope that maybe he could listen to it.

 

In hope that maybe,  one day my confession would finally reach  him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chan Yeol flipped the last page of the old book.

The ache crept slowly into veins up to his heart, piercing it painstakingly. He felt like as if  he was being stabbed in the chest repeatedly, his lungs constricted. 

He could not breathe. 

It hurt so much. He did not feel anything besides pain and hurt at the same time, causing his eyes to well up in silent tears. He loved the latter. He loved Baek Hyun. 

He never wanted to leave his loved ones but he had to. 

He  needed to fulfill his promise. 

Chan Yeol bursted into tears as all the memories flowed back in his mind.

 

 

"This story is so sad. It got me into tears. It's such a pity that the protagonist took suicide ," Chan Yeol frowned as he handed the book to the librarian.

"Pfft, it's not like you can change the ending of the story," the librarian scoffed, trying hard not to laugh.

"Well, if I could, I would change the ending," Chan Yeol released a heavy sigh.

"You would? Are you sure?" The librarian lifted one of his eyebrows, smirking.

"Of course, I would save the protagonist," Chan Yeol furrowed his eyebrows.

"Well, you can change the story actually," the mysterious librarian grinned cheekily.

"Really?"

"Yeah, but there is a condition."

"What is it?"
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"Leave as the story reaches the final page."

 

 

 

END

A/N: Lol I'm sorry this story is such a failed angst. Well it has been so long since I've written a fanfic because of my national exam and I stayed in the boarding school..I think it has been 1 and half years?.. 

This story is actually my essay for the examination..i wrote it back haha