Love don't Just Leave

The Other Kind of Lover
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The soft music from the cafe worn-out wall speaker bounced around a lot louder than usual today. He noticed that the place was severely empty for the time of the year; which hit Jungkook as a little odd. He had been here many times before and rarely seen it void of customer. Today, however, even the cafe worker left him alone in the deserted area after serving his coffee and sandwich. 

It was all good. He didn't come here for company anyway.

The man rub the parrticular spot at the base of his ring finger, feeling a bit weird at the lack of familiar metal he normally found there. Yesterday was the last time he wore the wedding band. He took it off last night before going to sleep, leaving it in the safe he rarely opened. 

This morning Jungkook woke up feeling a lot lighter than he had been feeling lately.

Perhaps taking off the wedding ring was the best choice for him. His wife was gone for almost 5 years now. He kept the wedding band where she'd placed it the day they got married for that 5 years without fail; even more piously than when she was still around. Made him felt like she was there with him.

Last night, Jungkook picked up the old printed photo he'd left inside the safe the day he got married.

Kim Taehyung.

Memories poured in as if the 30 years of reset meant nothing.

It was unfair, but he let it wash back every familiar terrain in his mind. It surprised him a little that he didn't forget anything. Contrary to what he believed, there was nothing about Taehyung that he managed to forget along those years.

~~~

//Flashback//

They first met when he was in highschool. Taehyung was that hyung from nearby school that made friend with him during the local festival day. Jungkook was always that awkward person who had trouble socializing. While he was just walking around aimlessly, the boy with boxed grin approached him. He introduced himself as Kim Taehyung and offered him the half-eaten chocolate-covered banana he bought from one of the stands there.

For the first time in his life, Jungkook actually took the offer and ate from a stranger's hand.

They became fast friend. 

It was during college year where things started to take a new turn in their friendship. Jungkook remembered fighting his way to get into the same college as Taehyung and how happy his friend was when he actually made it. They quickly looked for an apartment to rent together. Living with Taehyung was even more fun that he had imagined it to be. They had fun together, sometimes bickering over silly things; things you normally did with someone you are really comfortable with. It came to a point where he started to get confused about the nature of affection he had for Taehyung.

Then, Ame came into the picture.

It was like a saving call. Jungkook started paying attention to her, cutting his time with Taehyung to half. Taehyung seemed a little sad about it, but being very supportive. Things went well. His life was more on focus.

Everything was perfect.

//Flashback end//

~~~

Jungkook stared at the lazy steam dancing out from his cup, ignoring the jingle from the chimes hung by the entrance to the cafe. A customer walked in. Few customers to be exact. He was still too absorbed with his own thought that Jungkook couldn't even pretend that he cared about what was happening around him.

That, until one of the newly-arrived customers pulled the chair out from the opposite of the table he currently occupied in the cafe.

Rude. The cafe was practically barren and the person chose to sit with him.

Jungkook raised his eyes up slowly.

'Hi, Kookie.'

That voice.

Jungkook narrowed his eyes slightly at the pair of familiar brown orbs once their sight met.

That eyes.

The stranger reached up to pull the black surgical mask off his face.

Kim Taehyung.

~~~

//Flashback//

Jungkook pressed the red button on his phone, ending the conversation first as what Ame normally requested from him. A small smile tugged on his lips. It had been 3 months. It was that long before they finally plan on a holiday together; just the two of them.

It was Ame who came out with the idea. 

'Someone looks happy.'

The statement pulled him back to reality. Taehyung took the empty spot right beside him - knees touching. With the older boy, privacy means nothing. There could only be the both of them on a huge, empty island and he would still choose to sit beside Jungkook. The younger one was used to it. In fact, it would weird him out if the older boy acted differently.

'I'm going on a holiday starting tomorrow, for 3 days.'

'Really?' Taehyung straightened up. 'Where to?'

'Just a hot spring resort.'

Jungkook looked away, suddenly a little embaressed. Taehyung had to peek a little to look at his friend's face.

''With?'

The younger boy gave the floor a small smile.

'Ame.'

'...Oh.'

Taehyung's voice dropped an octave, but the lips held the normal smile when Jungkook turned to look at him. 

'3 days? I'll be lonely.'

He added in, nudging Jungkook slightly with his shoulder. The boy gave a little laugh.

'You'll survived.'

Taehyung sighed.

'Finally taking the relationship up another level, eh?'

Jungkook frowned slightly at the unexpected statement-question.

'What are you talking about?' He returned to look at the floor. 'It's just few days retreat.'

'With only you and Ame,' Taehyung chuckled. 'Don't tell me you didn't even think about it.'

It was no secret between them about his relationship with Ame. In fact, Taehyung knew almost everything about it. The boy had been all over it the moment he learned about the girl, demanding details like nobody business. Both of them knew that besides kisses and hugs, Jungkook had yet to progress to the next level.

Taehyung was right. He did think about it.

'Oh, Kookie is going to return as a man. Wow,'

That earned the other boy a playful punch on his shoulder. Both just laughed at the joke and the day went as usual; with an additional session where Taehyung was spotted helping Jungkook packing for his "retreat".

//Flashback end//

~~~

'It's been a while.'

Jungkook stared at the familiar face in front of him - hard. It had indeed been a while. 35 ing long years to be exact.

Kim Taehyung sat staring back at him with his usual smile. His eyes still carried the same glow it did back then. 

Scratch it. It was not only the eyes. Kim Taehyung didn't look like he had even aged a day from the last time he saw him. Jungkook swallowed a suddenly sandy throat.

Maybe it's not Taehyung.

'Who are you?'

The smile grew at the question. 

'Kookie,' he leaned slightly forward, elbows resting on the table between them. 'Don't doubt yourse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter