The day

Meeting the Wus (aka Jongin's doomsday)

This is finally it.

Jongin is standing in front of the Wu mansion, he’s about to face his fiancé’s parents and three older brothers to ask for Yixing’s hand in marriage. He already proposed but he wants to ask for their blessings to gain their respect and trust. He crosses his fingers and grips the paper bags tighter before ringing the doorbell. Jongin’s fiancé is the who opens the door, he smiles immediately at sight of angelic Yixing, looking very handsome with his styled hair and casual clothes.

“Nini, you’re here!” Yixing hugs his fiancé as he jumps giddily.

“Hey, baby. I got your family presents.”

Yixing frowns. “I told you already that you don’t need to bring anything. You just need to talk to them. And why are you wearing a suit? Casual clothing is fine.”

He shrugs. “I need to impress your family, baby. And I’m already here. If I go back now to change, I’ll leave a bad impression to them.”

Yixing looks down at the paper bags and shakes his head. “If you say so. Come in now, my parents and brothers are in the living room.”

The Wu mansion looks very grand on the outside, inside though, it has simple furniture with family pictures on every wall, but it still looks sophisticated. No one right now, as Yixing stated before, is living in the house since all of them are scattered all over the world. They would only use the house when the family gathers to celebrate Christmas together.

They walk several steps and go in to the first room on their right. Inside, he sees the Wu family chatting over tea (Shixun is drinking mango juice, Jongin assumes). They seem to notice their presence and look on their direction. The family makes half smile except for the patriarch Wu Yifan who is scowling at him.

“Please have a seat.” The matriarch Wu Joonmyun says.

He sits on one of the chairs strategically facing the couch where the entire family sits, save for Yixing. He’s now praying for his dear life as Yifan continues to throw daggers at him.

Wu Yifan and Wu Joonmyun, Yixing’s parents. They are both architects and they design buildings being built mainly in Saudi Arabia, they also designed some for Chinese companies. The couple are now retired, they conducted seminars to universities around Europe for few years. Currently, they are staying in Japan most of the time as Yifan became a part time college instructor teaching Mandarin as a foreign language. Yixing’s other father, on the other hand, is busy by getting involved in charity events. It made the rest of the family become active in charity works as well.

He takes a glance at the oldest brother, Wu Xiumin. He doesn’t look like the oldest at all. In fact, when Yixing was showing him some of the family photos, he asked his by then boyfriend if he’s really the youngest among the siblings after seeing Xiumin’s face. Yixing giggled at that and informed him that Xiumin is actually the oldest. Jongin gasped at he information. If he remembers correctly, Wu Xiumin is an art history professor at Harvard University. He’s the youngest within the history professors to be granted a professor title at the age of 22. His fiancé added that the oldest Wu sibling is the brightest in the entire Wu and Kim family. He is a member of Mensa and only the Wu siblings knew of this achievement. Xiumin doesn’t want his parents to know as he’s so sure his parents would spread the news.

His eyes falls on the second oldest, Wu Jing Xiu. He is a Michelin star chef, appointed as the best male Asian chef by respectable food critics and magazines. He is staying at Jeju when he’s in Korea and has six restaurants here, one in Hong Kong, and two in the United States. He divides his time in those countries, spending most of his time at his birthplace since one of his restaurants has a Michelin star and most importantly because he’s secretly married to the world famous idol Park Chanyeol. Jongin almost lost his mind when he learned this, Park Chanyeol is a solo artist he tried to sign in his own music company after his contract expired with SM Entertainment, but the idol politely declined and renewed his contract to the said company. Park Chanyeol is a money making machine, he sold millions of physical and digital albums globally. Jongin was kind of disappointed that he wasn’t able to get Chanyeol in his company, but he couldn’t really stay mad at the artist with a cheerful personality and heart of gold… Which now he wonders how the famous singer was able to get married to Wu Jing Xiu who looks like he’s ready to murder the entire population by starting at Jongin. He visibly shivers when Jing Xiu gives him a menacing gaze when he notices Jongin’s staring.

And there’s Wu Shixun.

If Jing Xiu only looks evil, Shixun is the actual satan. Wu Shixun is the youngest male supermodel in history, already covered major fashion magazines at the tender age of 16. He also made runway walks for Hermes, Dolce and Gabbana, Louis Vuitton, Versace, and many more. Shixun is Yixing’s older twin brother, they are fraternal twins, which explains their entirely opposite personalities. His fiancé is all rainbows and cinnamon rolls while the older is destruction and a pest to Jongin’s life. He’s the only one in the Wu family he met in person before this gathering, only because Shixun sticks to Yixing like a glue. He travels around the world for his photoshoots and other events, when he’s given a break, he goes straight to Yixing’s apartment. And chaos ensues. Every time they meet for lunch (Yixing is a choreographer at his company), he would already see Shixun sitting beside his brother, mocking him. Even during their dates on weekends, the older twin showed no mercy. Yixing one time escaped while Shixun was sleeping to have a late night date with Jongin, when only few minutes later, Yixing’s phone rang and he could hear the second youngest whining about being alone with only his yellow larva plushie to protect him. Despite being the youngest, he can’t really say no to his twin. Jongin brought him back to the apartment.

He glares at Shixun at the memory then looks down at his sweaty palms.

He knows the entire Wu is looking at him, waiting for him to say something. He already practiced what he has to say, he just can’t vocalize them.

Good thing Yixing speaks. “Daddy, Papa, and geges, this is Kim Jongin, my fiancé. This is your first time meeting him, except for Shixun of course. He already proposed to me last week. I gathered all of you today because Jongin here wants to formally ask for your blessings.” He nudges his fiancé, “Nini.”

Jongin stands up with his shaky legs and makes a 90 degree bow. “Umm, my name is Kim Jongin and I brought small gifts with me.” He distributes them using his equally shaky hands, receiving gratitude from everyone where Shixun and Yifan are the exception, no surprise.

The family don’t want to receive lavish gifts as all of them are involved in charity works, that’s why Jongin got them vitamins (high class) instead. “They’re vitamins. I know you are all traveling around the world due to your jobs. You need energy and strong immune system in order to continue with your duties without getting sick.” He takes his seat after making another deep bow.

“You’re so sweet, Jongin-ssi. Thank you so much.” Joonmyun smiles brightly at him.

“You’re welcome, Mr. Wu.” He looks at Yixing, and his fiancé holds his left hand, giving him courage to finally say what he came for, “Yixing’s parents and brothers, I am here to formally ask for Yixing’s hand in marriage. I know it’s rude of me to ask after proposing to your son, but after I first laid my eyes on him, I knew he was the one for me and from then on, I plan every single day to ask him to marry me. I finally had the guts to ask a year later, I’m the luckiest and happiest man since then. After the proposal, it dawned on me that I didn’t ask for your permission even though we skype every month, I sincerely apologize for that. Yixing kept on telling me it’s alright to not ask for your blessings, but I still want to do this. It’s better to be late than never doing it.”

He looks at them one by one, they are all sporting neutral expression on their faces (Yifan excluded, still scowling). When his gaze lands on Shixun, the second youngest says, “So… Kim Jongin-ssi…” Yixing groans at that.

He nods. “Yes, Shixun-ssi?”

“You proposed to my baby twin brother after being in a relationship for only a year, right?”

“Yes, but-”

“You’re older than him by five years.” He says a matter-of-factly.

“True-”

“You’re the president of KJI Entertainment.” He continues.

“Right-”

“And you also have a chocolate manufacturing company.” He flips his bangs to the side.

“That’s-”

“How are you supposed to take care of my twin brother when you’re busy as hell?” Shixun checks his nails.

“Don’t-”

“He will be lonely. I don’t approve this. Come on now, Xing. Pack your bags and come with me to travel the world. You get offers from Burberry and Rolex and you reject them like it’s nothing.”

“What-”

“And don’t forget Xing when-”

“Ya, Shixun! Let Jongin-ssi answer your questions properly. You keep on disrupting him!” Jing Xiu scolds.

Shixun scoffs, deciding to say nothing more.

“I apologize in Shixun’s behalf. He’s acting like a brat because our youngest will be separated from him. He doesn’t like the idea because they are together ever since they were in papa’s womb.” Xiumin chuckles, “Don’t worry about hum, worry about our daddy.”

Everyone looks at the eldest Wu. Yifan never said a word from the moment Jongin arrived. He’s starting to scare Jongin now because the latter is giving him deeper scowl. Even during the obligatory skyping every month, the patriarch never spoke to him, not even bothering to give him a simple hello. His other half reprimanded in front of them during skype, Yifan still didn’t budge and continued to bombard his son questions about his health and job, while Jongin was treated like thin air. In one of the skype sessions with Joonmyun (Yifan was at a seminar overseas for a week), he revealed that his husband is very protective of his fiancé because when Yixing was born, he had a very weak body, stayed in incubator and under doctors’ surveillance for weeks. It became harder for the couple when only few months later, they found out that the youngest twin has haemophilia. Yifan naturally developed intense protectiveness toward his youngest son and provided him immense attention. Also, the fact that Yixing is a sweet and kind-hearted child made Yixing everyone’s favorite, especially by his daddy.

“Yeobo, do you have anything to say?” Joonmyun inquires.

“I really don’t approve this,” he grunts, “my Yixing is only 23, he only graduated from college last year. You see Jongin-ssi, I have so many dreams for my youngest. When he’s just starting to teach hip hop to your trainees, I learned from my husband that our son is dating the CEO of that company. He was happy with the news, but I wasn’t. First, you’re Kim Jongin, CEO of KJI Entertainment and owner of Gomini chocolates. With your looks, power, and wealth, you can have any woman or man you want, so why did you date him? I thought you only want to have some fun with my son and you will break him once you’re bored.” He sighs. “I decided to investigate you.” They heard a faint ‘what?’ from Yixing. “By myself. I lied, I didn’t go to a seminar, I went here and I followed every Kim Jongin step for a week.” Jongin can’t believe what he’s hearing, he has absolutely no idea he was being followed before. “I found nothing against you in those seven days. You don’t have vices, you go to Yixing’s apartment in the morning so the both of you can go to work together, eat lunch together, when you go outside during work you only meet with clients, you wait for my precious son to finish his lessons and take him home, after taking him home you go straight to your own apartment. I saw Shixun with the two of you during lunch, that son of mine is very clingy to his twin but you never showed disgust or being pissed at him. You take him to dates mostly at night markets and you always make sure to take him home before 10:00. You take care of him well, I noticed your smallest gestures to my son. As much as I hate to say this, you made Yixing very happy. You have my blessing. Honestly, I don’t want to give mine, I want to spend more time with my precious son. If you take him completely away from me, I’ll find you and I’ll end you.” Yifan ends his speech by making a straight horizontal line on his neck using his thumb, then points his index finger at Jongin that makes the CEO nods continuously.

He is very thankful at Yifan’s words, thinking about the spying thing, he doesn’t mind at all because he has nothing to hide. His love is only for Yixing. Right after the proposal, the CEO promised that nothing will be different after getting married and that Yixing is free to visit his family anytime he wants. “Thank you so much for your kind words, sir Wu. I will never rob Yixing’s time from you. I promise.”

The oldest Wu nods.

“Jongin-ssi, my dear, you have my blessing from the time Yixing called me to announce he’s dating you. I never saw my son so happy before. He’s more blooming and glowing, and very, very beautiful.” ‘He got it from you, yeobo.’ Yifan says making Joonmyun blushes. “Continue to take care of my baby! Well, he’s your baby now.” He winks.

Jongin is about to convey his gratitude when he hears his fiancé sobbing, he automatically starts to wipe his tears and uses his other hand to rub his hand on his back.

Yixing stands up and walk towards his parents to give them hugs. “Papa! Daddy! Thank you! I love you both so much!” He kisses them on their cheeks.

“And hyungs, too!” Shixun says and pouts.

“I love you hyungs!” He gives them the same treatment.

Yixing hugs his parents again, Yifan make his youngest son to sit on his lap, whispering loudly ‘It’s not too late, Xing.’ The youngest Wu giggles, “Daddy, you already gave your blessing, and it’s too late to back out now.” His father made another grunt, “It’s a bad idea-”

“Alright alright, time for the hyungs to say something.” Xiumin announces, “be nice, Shixun.” The bearer of the name makes a hmph sound while crossing his arms. “You start Jing Xiu.”

The second oldest smiles. “You have my blessing, Jongin-ssi. Chanyeol is still sorry he rejected your offer. He already said yes though to perform at your wedding.” The CEO returns the smile, beaming at the thought of Chanyeol singing for their wedding.

“Congratulations CEO Kim and my baby brother.” Xiumin starts, “My blessing is definitely yours, Jongin-ssi. Xing looks more vibrant and beautiful when he’s with you. Take care of him.” Jongin nods. “If you hurt him, you better hide. And if I find you, you’re dead meat and I can get away from it.” The professor warns, Yifan sneers at that, silently approving of his oldest son’s threat. Jongin makes an audible gulp but nods again nonetheless.

Shixun rolls his eyes. “You guys are so lame! Xing, listen to what daddy said, it’s not too late to back out.” He receives a slap on his arm by Jing Xiu. “Papa! Jing Xiu-ge slapped me on-”

The second oldest covers his mouth. “Ah, Jongin-ssi, you have Shixun’s blessing.” Shixuns flaps his feet while waving his arms like there’s no tomorrow.

“You’re so nice Shixun-ge. Thank you.” His twin brother smiles very sweetly at him he thinks he saw butterflies and light coming from his twin. The second youngest Wu stops moving, Jing Xiu uncovers his mouth.

“Ugh. Whatever. You’ll regret it, Xing.”

The matriarch stands up. “That settles everything. Let’s have lunch now. Our Jing Xiu cooked something for all of us, you should stay, Jongin-ssi.”

“Thank you Mr. Wu. It’s an honor to taste a Michelin star chef’s cooking. Thank you Jing Xiu-ssi.”

The chef waves his hand, “Oh shush, I only prepared simple dishes. Don’t get your hopes up.”

“Gege, did you make bubble tea for me?” Shixun inquires.

“Ya! I saw your Instagram post yesterday, you already had bubble tea. You’re too careless about what you eat for a model.”

The 23-year-old stomps his feet, “But gege, you make the best bubble tea! I want gege’s bubble tea!”

Jing Xiu sighs, “I made nitrogen green tea ice cream. You’ll love it.”

“But green tea is for adults!” He complains as they go inside the dining room.

Yixing holds Jongin’s hand while walking, “Thank you for doing this, Nini. Even though I told you that you don’t need to ask for my family’s blessings, you still went for it. I’m sorry about my daddy stalking you for a week, I swear I have no idea he did that.”

Jongin cups both of his fiancé’s cheeks. “Ah, don’t worry about that baby. I have nothing to hide anyway. I am completely devoted to you. I loved you the first time I saw and I’ll continue to love you forever.”

Yixing feels his cheeks redden, “I love you CEO Kim.”

“I love you more choreographer Wu Yixing.”