Final

My very first love

 

 

Today is Kyungsoo’s first day as an intern aka junior house officer at the pediatric ward. After 5 years of working hard at the medical school, glory day is coming nearer. Do Kyungsoo loves kids. He always dreams of becoming a pediatrician since his college life. He wants to take care of the children who are in need and pain especially the babies…. Babies who can’t express their wants and needs yet except bubbling incoherent voice. Adult can voice out exactly what they’re suffering from. So it’s not difficult to treat the adult patients. However, for babies, it solely depends on their consulting doctors whether their suffering will end or not. Kyungsoo has seen many pediatricians treating ill children successfully. It inspires him. He wants to be like one of them.

All of the junior interns like Kyungsoo have to gather in a room for briefing by their in charge consultant who will later assigns them under their respective mentor during their internship at this ward. He is very much excited and also nervous to meet new people in new environment. The feeling is like when he first went to medical college. But he is glad that his best friend is together with him. Believe it or not. He only made friends with 5 people in his whole college life. Yeah , Do Kyungsoo is definitely not a social butterfly unlike his best friend whose name goes by Byun Baekhyun who socializes with every person within his arm reach. He doesn’t know how he does that.

Kyungsoo searches the room they are told to gather in.

‘Conference room 004. There it is’

He slips into the room as soon as he finds it. There are already a few interns in the room whose names and faces he can’t match yet. Believe him! They are in the same batch with him. He’s just not good at memorizing names. Okay? Nevertheless, he awkwardly smiles at them acknowledging their presence. He chooses a seat more or less near the front podium where the in charge consultant will be giving them the speech. He doesn’t forget to save a seat for his best friend. After a while, the room is filled with other interns. Baekhyun comes in last minute before the door is closed. As usual. He heard once that the pediatric ward doctors are most strict of all. Yes, he knows that time is gold for all the doctors. But they are on different level.

“Morning, Soo,” Baekhyun greets him cheerfully. Before Kyungsoo can reply to him, the consultant start his briefing.

“Hello, everyone. My name is Dr. Min Hyo Shin. I’m in charge of the pediatric ward but of course below Professor Hong Min Joo. But Professor has to attend to an important matter toady. So she sent her regard to you all…..”

The rest of the speech contains ward’s protocols, dos and don’ts and blah blah blah. The important part is who are assigned under who. Kyungsoo is assigned under the senior, Dr. Kim Jongin together with Baekhyun and 3 other interns, namely Song Minho, Jung Soojung, Lee Seohyun. They are told that Dr. Kim will be their mentor during their 3 months internship at the pediatric ward. All the other interns have been introduced to their respective assigned seniors. Kyungsoo’s group is the only one left because Dr. Kim Jongin just ended his night shift and handing over his patients’ data to the next on duty doctor. After waiting for a while, a doctor comes into the conference room and greets them.

“Hello, nice to meet you. I’m Kim Jongin. I believe I’m the supposed mentor to the remaining five of you. First, I’m sorry that I’m late. I hope you already know the reason. Second, please introduced yourself each. I need to know the name of my juniors whom I will be working together for next 3 months.”

“Hello, my name is Byun Baekhyun. Please take care of me,” as a social butterfly, Baekhyun introduces himself first. Dr. Kim nods slightly.

“Hello, I’m Do Kyungsoo,” Kyungsoo says nervously bowing politely not knowing what else to say next, he smiles awkwardly. Dr. Kim chuckles seeing his action. Great, his senior will remember him as an awkward turtle from now on.

Three other interns introduced themselves as well but not awkwardly llike Kyungsoo did earlier. He just wants to hide himself in a hole if possible.

Then Dr. Kim Jongin takes them for a tour in the ward and explains the tasks they have to do. According to duty roster, Kyungsoo starts with day shift together with Jung Soojung. From Kyungsoo’s knowledge, Soojung is a lively girl, always interacts with people cheerfully. She has a positive vibe in her attitude making people around her comfortable. He is glad to be paired with her as work partner. But he will miss his best friend’s accompany.

After the tour, their actual work starts now. They make sure not to make careless mistakes on their first day. Although Dr. Kim’s shift ended this morning, he didn’t go home. He stays with them observing each of them, teaching them what they are not familiar with yet, correcting their mistakes. Dark circles can be seen under his eyes indicating the almost no hours of sleep he had last night. However, he is still handsome. With the slightly warmer than average tone of his skin shade and lean body, nobody can’t deny his manliness. Chiseled jawline and kissable plump lips add onto that. He is the most wanted groom to be in South Korea. Kyungsoo admits he is attracted by Kim Jongin. He just hopes it ends at that. No more than an attraction.

 

 

 

 

It’s been 3 weeks at the pediatric ward. As the time slowly went by, Kyungsoo’s ambition of becoming a pediatrician became firmer. And also, the relationship with Kim Jongin became more comfortable. It is not as timid as before. He has learnt that Kim Jongin is an uptight person but not to very extreme. However, he will not accept any careless mistake because they are dealing with the life and death of humans. Punishment is harsh for their carelessness. In contrary, he is also a very caring person. He even sacrifices his own scarce sleep when he thinks the interns are too tired to stay awake to treat and monitor the patients at night shift. When someone is not feeling well, he will tell them to take a rest and he takes in the place of their work. But not more than that. He values his personal space. He will not allow any personal matter between them. Nevertheless many interns surely have a crush on him including Kyungsoo. Kim Jongin is a sharp observance. He can tell who is working hard and who is lagging behind. He is fond of those working hard. He favors them instead of the ones who are doing flirtatious behaviors to get his attention.

Kim Jongin has taken notice of Do Kyungsoo since the first day. Kyungsoo is a quick learner and a passionate worker. He does every task enthusiastically. Kim Jongin favors him especially. Of course, Kyungsoo notices that he is being fond of but not in any other means, just as senior-junior. Dr. Kim would praise him very often for his hard work. Sometimes they would stay awake together at night shifts to keep accompany. At those times, they would talk about their personal lives. Kyungsoo learnt that Dr. Kim is only 2 years older than him, that his hobby is reading poems and that he also love pets especially puppies. He even had 3 puppies but now he is so busy that he can’t take care of them, he had to send them to his parents’ house. Kyungsoo takes notice of Jongin’s sad expression when he says how much he misses his puppies which later replaced by an adorable grin when he talks about the cute behaviors of his little puppies. Kyungsoo never gets tired of listening to his stories. And just like that, Kyungsoo falls more and more deeply for Dr. Kim Jongin. And it is not definitely a mere crush.

At one of their usual night shifts, Kyungsoo is in the intensive care unit monitoring the newborn babies who were born earlier than due date. It’s 3 am and he can’t take a rest yet because he is worried for the babies who still need extra care. He told the nurse in duty to take a rest while he is here. Then he observes the vital signs of each baby. When he notices one of the babies’ oxygen tank is on low parameter, he looks for a janitor to replace with a new oxygen tank. But he can’t find one. So he just decides to carry the new oxygen tank placed in the corner of the room. But it’s not easy when the oxygen tank is the same size as him and even heavier than himself. He doesn’t notice someone’s presence behind when he is struggling with the oxygen tank.

“Kyungsoo, what are you doing?” a familiar voice startles him. He turns around and see Dr. Kim Jongin with a sleepy face mixed with a curiosity.

“Ah, I’m trying to carry this tank to incubator 4 to replace the old one because I couldn’t find a janitor, Dr. Kim,” Kyungsoo replies.

“You’re trying to carry a thing which is probably the twice of your own weight?” Dr. Kim chuckles with a teasing tone. “I’ll help you,” Dr. Kim prepares to help carry the thing placing himself opposite site.

Kyungsoo thought his heart skips a beat due to the new position of him and Dr. Kim, facing each other parted only by not more than a few inches and hands slightly brushing against each other. Kyungsoo calms himself down before making anything stupid. And then they move the oxygen tank carefully and slowly. After accomplishing the matter, they are facing each other and suddenly they are laughing at each other face because they are sweating like bullets and hair disheveled. Kyungsoo also notices Dr. Kim is looking at him with warmth and fondness in his eyes. He must say that night is one of the memorable night shifts with Dr. Kim. He wishes this moment lasts forever.

 

 

But of course, nothing lasts forever. The time to part finally comes. Three months of internship at the pediatric ward has come to an end. Today is the last day for them. The relationship between Kyungsoo and Dr. Kim remains constant. Kyungsoo doesn’t dare to cross the boundary.

After the farewell for the interns, Kyungsoo stays up to clean the mess they made. It was a simple meal with their seniors. They held it in one of the intern rooms. Senior doctors have already left after giving their goodbye speech and having their feast. Other interns made their excuses to wrap up their work. Kyungsoo stays behind to clean up the mess. Someone’s presence is alerted with the sound of opening of the door and closing it. Kyungsoo didn’t expect Dr. Kim to come here.

“Hey, Kyungsoo,” Dr. Kim initiates, “I just wanted to say you goodbye personally. Because you’re my favourite among the interns. I’ve noticed your passion for this work and your hard work during this short period. And I want you to continue doing this with the same passion and enthusiasm in the other places. You’ll surely fit in wherever you goes.” Kyungsoo is at a loss for word for a while. But he immediately snaps out of his trance and replies, “Thank you, Dr. Kim. I will definitely do as you say.”

“Okay, then, I have to leave now. Goodbye, Kyungsoo.”

“Goodbye, Dr. Kim.”

 

“Please, wait!” Kyungsoo calls out before Dr. Kim makes his exit from the room.

“Yes? Anything else you want to say, Kyungsoo?”

“Can I… Can I call you sometimes, Dr. Kim? For..uhm.. you know like when I need some advice or opinion about patients and other medical related things?” Kyungsoo hopes he doesn’t sound so obvious about his desire to get closer to Dr. Kim.

“Of course, you can, Kyungsoo. Anytime.” Dr. Kim replies immediately without hesitation.

“Thank you very much, Dr. Kim. Bye!”

This time Dr. Kim actually leaves.

 

 

Three days later, Kyungsoo takes the courage to make a move.

 

To: Dr. Kim

Hi, I’m Kyungsoo. How are you doing?

 

From: Dr. Kim

Hey, I’m fine. How about you, Kyungsoo?

How are you adapting your new work place?

 

To: Dr. Kim

Tonight will be my first night shift at emergency department and I’m very excited and nervous right now.

 

From: Dr. Kim

Hey, don’t be nervous. You’ll do fine because you’re perfect!

 

Perfect is the word that makes his heart a somersault. It’s just a simple word but for Kyungsoo, it means more than that. Hearing that he is perfect from his crush makes queasy feelings in his stomach. Finally he sees a ray of hope in his one sided love life.

 

 

And Do Kyungsoo’s very first love in his 22 years of life started blooming just like that.