Chapter One

Hiraeth

Off the coast of what may be considered Hawaiian islands now, there is a small island. This island has no name, and no coordinates on any map, for it may only be reached by those who are meant to. It is Neverland.

Until one clear day, no ships had landed in Neverland since The Great War. The ships were manned by none other than renowned captain and seaman,  Zhang Yixing. His eyes were cool and calculated as they scanned over the vast mountain range and cliff heads poking out from the sea with mild recognition. He’d seen these ranges somewhere; perhaps through a story that his aunt once told him.

Their objective was to find the most beautiful and powerful stone in the Universe; The Everstone. It was said that the Everstone granted whoever possessed it eternal youth and vitality. After hearing of the stone while eavesdropping in the market one day, Yixing decided that he’d be the one to find the stone and bring it back home.

He appealed to the king, and was furnished with a grand ship which he named Wendy, after his late aunt, and thirty other men to sail it. Due to unforeseen storms, the ship was thrown off its course. Many of Yixing’s men were lost in the carnage, leaving only a few left -- those being his brothers.

“Ay, the island ahead seems to be uninhabited,” said his mapmaker and brother, Jongdae. “What are your orders, Captain?”

It was not where they were meant to be, but it was where they were headed. The sand was pristine and untouched, the cliffs white and softly edged from afar. Yixing turned his view from the horizon and observed the state of his brothers. Their dark eyes were etched around the edges with hard lines, cuts and bruises. They needed rest, and so did he. They’d been at sea for nearly a month, and supplies were running low.

“Push on,” he commanded with only slight shakiness that he’d only reveal to Jongdae. “The boys are tired, and deserve a break. We will leave at dawn.”

Jongdae murmured the order to Minseok, their eldest brother, and Yixing’s second mate, who then ordered the others to pull the masts. The ship sank into a rhythm of huffs and heaves as the men began changing course of the ship. Yixing left his post at the head of the ship, making way to his quarters below.

 

***

 

There is a legend of a young girl in Neverland. Her name is Tiger Lily. It is said that when she was born, she was found on the sand at the edge of the beach wrapped in seaweed. A young man by the name of Moon, while out searching for shells, discovered her by the waves. She did not cry, it is said. The waves washed over her numerous times, yet she did not drown. When he brought her back, she was ogled by the natives -- some remarked at her beauty, while others shied away, calling her a demon. How else could she have survived the ocean waves?

Growing up, she was teased by the other children. Although she did well in her lessons -- receiving the highest level in archery and tree-climbing -- not many of the kids wanted much to do with her. She was a demon, they said. A nasty demon that would kill them all in their sleep if they crossed her wrong.

 

Tiger Lily eventually made a friends with a group of boys on the east side of the island. The Lost

Boys is what they called themselves with their ruddy faces and bright eyes. Tiger Lily had never met boys so rambunctious in her life, and they terrified her before she steeled herself and blended in with them. Their leader was Peter Pan. He wasn’t the eldest, but he was the most revered amongst the boys. His pointy, elfish features and sparkling, mischievous eyes made him a fast target for Captain Hook. And so the Great War began.

That had been years ago. After Peter and the Lost Boys escaped Neverland, Captain Hook took refuge in his grand castle that he built on the north side near Skull Rock. No one dared to visit such a place unless they carried a death wish. Tiger Lily had nothing of the sort, but she was curious of what the self-proclaimed “King of Neverland” busied himself with now that his enemy had fled.

Tiger Lily had grown agile and swift, with long, sinewy legs. Her long, curly hair she kept in a single braid down her back, adorning it with her poppies she found in the meadows. Her arms were muscular, and her hands were calloused and sure from constantly practicing archery.

She was teased by some of the girls for being too much like a boy. They believed that because Tiger Lily spent most of her time climbing trees and hunting for food, that she did not enjoy braiding hair and fashioning clothes. She certainly did, just not with the likes of them. Running off into the forest each day gave her peace of mind, and an escape from the taunting voices she dealt with in the tribe.

Today, much like any other, Tiger Lily moved through the forest with quickness. Her footsteps were lightweight and silent. Her custom bow, which she’d crafted out of the glimmerwood, a tree considered magical to her tribe, was strapped to her back. She’d carved a crescent moon and a lily into the wood, at the request of her father.

“This way, we will always be together.” He reasoned.

The tribe shaman had promised that a great savior would return to Neverland again in a fortnight. The tribespeople brushed him off, but Tiger Lily was determined to see for herself. She climbed the trees with precision and pranced across the branches until she reached the cliff face. Tiger Lily perched on the edge. In the distance, she could see a large dot of something moving across the sea. The waves parted themselves around the dot as it cut through the water. It was heading right for Neverland.

She grabbed her looking glass from her sheath and held it to her eye. It was a large ship with beautiful white sails. It did not move through the water like a threat, but more like a promise of something grand.

Tiger Lily surveyed the ship, taking notice of many men in heavy clothing. They moved around the ship like ants -- some manned the sails, others washed the floors. But there was one that stood idly at the head. He was tall and pale with a look of anguish upon his face. His shirt was slight agape revealing pale, glimmering skin beneath. Although worn, his face had a youngness to it, like he’d seen a lot in his years, but it did not stick with him like it did for most people.  It was him, she was sure of it. It was Peter.

Tiger Lily leaned forward to get a closer look, and lost her footing. She was sent flailing from the cliff face and hurdling down toward the jagged rocks. She closed her eyes and sent a quick prayer to the gods above that the impact would be quick and painless. A split second before hitting the rocks, she was overcome by lightness like a feather. Suddenly, she was floating above the rocks, and back toward the edge of the cliff.

Tiger Lily continued to flail about, but this time with the wonder of what saved her. Above her floated a tiny being. Something she’d never in her life seen with her own eyes. She’d heard stories of these tiny creatures, but nothing prepared her for seeing it with her own eyes. It was no bigger than her thumb and it glimmered in the sunlight as it flew upward, holding Tiger Lily by the strap of her sheath. It was a faerie.

When they reached the cliff edge once more, Tiger Lily was placed gently on the ground. The faerie buzzed above her as it tried to regain its breath. Tiger Lily’s mouth opened and closed like that of a fish. She was just saved by a faerie. Something people in her tribe only talked about, but never witnessed.

“You’re, you’re…” She stuttered.

“A faerie.” Stated a sweet voice in Tiger Lily’s head. Tiger Lily shrieked and began digging in her ears.

“Don’t squeal so much!” Cried the faerie. “And don’t go to close to the edge. I don’t want to have to rescue you again. You’re heavy...”

“How can I hear you? Your mouth isn’t moving!”

The faerie buzzed beside Tiger Lily to grab a strand of her dark hair which she began to add microbraids to. A soft laughter filled Tiger Lily’s mind.

“I cannot speak outright, but I am allowing you to hear me through your mind. You should feel honored.”

Tiger Lily scoffed. The faerie stopped playing with Tiger Lily’s hair and glared. “I just saved your life!”

She wasn’t wrong, Tiger Lily admitted to herself. If it hadn’t been for her...him...it, Tiger Lily would be splayed out upon the rocks.

“What’s your name?” Tiger Lily asked, offering a simple apology for her rashness before.

“Tinkerbell.” said the Faerie. “I am here to protect you.”

 

 

Hope that you all enjoyed the first chapter! Feel free to comment below. The next chapter will be posted within the next few days. <3

Also, feel free to follow my blog at vellichorae.tumblr.com