PART I: THIS IS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

He's Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PART 1: THIS IS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

 

Listen, I don’t care what you heard or who you heard it from, but let’s get a few things straight before I begin.

 

One, Byun Baekhyun was mine first. (And he’s still mine.)

Two, Park Hana is a man stealer.

And Three, I, Jung Lena am going to get him back. And I’m not going to play fair this time.

 

If this entire ordeal was a love story or whatever, I would be the antagonist, the mean that just doesn’t know when to give up.  You would curse me for trying to get in the way of the happy couple.  But that is unfair because this was my love story first, I was supposed to be the one with the happy ending, the one who ends up with Byun Baekhyun, aka the man I’m absolutely convinced is the one for me, my soulmate.

 

It sounds crazy, I know. Ok, I admit I’m a little dramatic sometimes.  But there really is nothing I’m more sure about than that Baekhyun being the one for me. And that seems pretty obvious to everyone BUT Byun Baekhyun and Park Hana.

 

Who is this Baekhyun and what’s so special about him, you ask?

 

Baekhyun is my cheeky, handsome, funny, kind, friendly, and protective neighbor and ex BFF (thanks Hana).  We literally grew up next to each other and there really is nobody I know better and nobody who knows me better (even though he denies it now).  Our mothers are best friends and like me, are both absolutely convinced that their two children will end up marrying each other-because bored suburban housewives have nothing better to do than plan out their children’s lives.  

 

Baekhyun and I met at six years old.  He just moved into the neighborhood from Korea while I lived here in the same house my entire life.  He was this short, shy, and timid little boy with a bowl cut and a missing front tooth.  I on the other hand was loud, fearless, and outgoing. And I still am. Seems like a weird match, right? But you know what they say, opposites attract.

 

My mom was so excited to have another Korean family in the neighborhood which meant she had a new potential Korean best friend as there weren’t many Asians in this city.  She would finally have someone to share side dishes with, celebrate lunar new year with, and speak Korean with.  My parents moved here from Korea when she was pregnant with me in search of a better life or whatever and she was pretty lonely.

 

Anyways, she was excited and of course she used me as an excuse to spend time with our neighbors.  And therefore, Baekhyun and I spent a lot of time together in these forced playdates.  I was the one to show him the ropes of the American lifestyle and the one to teach him English. Though we bickered a lot because well, he was a boy and I was a girl, we were still really close friends, and we still are… kind of, you can thank Hana’s jealousy and insecurity for our growing distance.

 

At this point of time, Baekhyun is dating Hana, the man stealer.  This is also the point in which the typical love story would end, the two leads got together and we assume they stay together forever, right? WRONG, this is the real world and couples break up.

 

Anyways, my story isn’t over and this story began before and ends after Baekhyun and Hana’s. And I’m not ending this until Baekhyun is mine again. 

 

Perhaps I gave too much power to fate. I wasn’t aggressive enough, I was too confident. I had no idea how that innocent looking girl who claimed to hate Baekhyun was able to steal my man right from under my nose.

 

And I’m not making that mistake again.

 

To describe our relationship before Hana came into the picture… we were boyfriend and girlfriend without the labels. We did everything that couples do, eat together, sleep together, make out, go on dates, etc. We were happy with what we had and we didn’t need to put a label on it to complicate things because we already knew what we meant to each other.  He rejected girls and I rejected guys.  So don’t tell me I’m overreacting.

 

Looking back now, I think my biggest mistake was underestimating Baekhyun’s kind and helpful nature.  For letting a friendship develop way too fast and far.  For mistaking his actions and growing feelings for his generally friendly and helpful nature. He has always been someone who was very protective of those who were disadvantaged because he used to be bullied in elementary school for speaking no English or having an accent.  He was teased for being one of the smaller kids and for being Asian. Therefore, he’s always been really protective of the disadvantaged, especially those who were new to the city. Today, he is easily one of the popular kids, like me.  How can he not be popular? He’s cute, funny, friendly, and now longer shy (cough thanks to me).

 

In high school, Baekhyun is apart of the welcoming committee, whose job is helping new students assimilate into the school’s culture and helping them find friends.  So, when Hana arrived to our school last year, it was his job to show her the ropes and ultimately be her first friend.

 

And because this wasn’t his first time helping out a new student, I didn’t think anything of it.  I brushed it off.  She was just another student who would depend on Baekhyun now but eventually branch off and find her real friend group.  But I was so wrong.

 

Hana looks innocent looking.  That’s it.  She has these wide bright eyes, she’s tiny (and I mean in both height and weight), and she has a bad attitude. She has stick straight black hair with annoyingly wispy perfect bangs, she doesn’t wear makeup yet still somehow looks like a little doll, and she wears adorable floral skirts with high knee socks and perfectly pressed and fitted polos. She acts shy (and I still can’t figure out of this is a fake front or not), which makes you want to protect and help her. She also looks annoyed or bored all the time. You know, the ice princess or whatever kind of attitude.

 

I’m the opposite of Hana.  I’m very social, I’m loud, and I can and like to take care of myself.  I’m not cute and tiny like Hana, but I’m normal sized and I like to look hot not cute (well can you blame me? I grew up with American or Eurocentric beauty standards) and I am hot… not to brag but I’m being honest here. I have long wavy black hair that is dyed light pink at the bottom, I’m normal sized, and I wear makeup that makes me look older and ier- darkened eyebrows, fake lashes, black winged eyeliner, and a contoured face. And I dress like everyone else here, I’m not uncomfortable with showing skin, I mean I grew up by the beach in a place where it’s bikini weather 80% of the year!  I’m not innocent either… I’m really adventurous and way too willing to try new things… and I usually drag a very willing Baekhyun along with me. Oh, and yes, I am popular but I’m not the unnecessarily mean for no reason, I think I’m better than everyone else kind of popular despite what people assume now because of Hana.

 

I have two main friends, Sora and Kai.  I also grew up with the both of them, mostly because I didn’t go to the same primary school as Baekhyun (who went to an international school).  They’re who I hang out with at school because Baekhyun, who now goes to a normal high school with me, is usually busy with helping new kids settle in, or hangs out with his soccer team boys (which includes Kai).  I mostly just hang out with Baekhyun outside of school, but everyone, and I mean everyone, knew that there was something going on between us and that I had a thing for him and he was off limits.

 

Okay, to most people, I probably looked really desperate and head over heels in love with Baekhyun.  I go to all his soccer games, I bring him baked goods, stick cute post-it notes on his locker, and I tell people that he’s my future husband (and yes, he knows, he agreed to marry me when we were like eight ok?).While some think we’re a couple, others think that he is just too nice to reject me so he plays along, but they don’t know him like I do. They don’t know about the countless times we’ve had sleepovers, how we lost our first kisses to each other, and how he keeps all the signs I make for his soccer games taped to his bedroom wall. Baekhyun is just… shy at school so if you’re not looking closely, it looks a lot like a one-sided love. But I assure you, it’s not.

 

And to be perfectly clear, I know that Baekhyun has downplayed the extent of our relationship to Hana.  Like he was perfectly fine with how I acted before she came along, so why am I suddenly this crazy, obsessed, who doesn’t know her place for doing the same things I’ve always done after she came into his life?  Yeah, you didn’t expect that did you? Well didn’t you find it kinda WEIRD that in other stories aka stories told from the Hana’s of the world point of view always portrayed the antagonist aka the Mes of the world as oblivious, crazy, and obsessed psychos? Like no, we’re all normal people (ok most of us), you just never get to see our side of the story. Kai told me that he heard Baekhyun tell Hana (because she was jealous) that I’ve always just been obsessed with him and he just tries to be nice because our moms are friends, never reciprocating or giving me false hope or encouragements. That I’m delusional. Um, yeah right. I’m clearly delusional and totally imagined the many times we spent making out in my room like okay Baekhyun.

 

Like wouldn’t it make sense that in order to reassure his new crush, he would lie about our relationship? I mean if he told her the truth wouldn’t a normal girl… back off or feel intimidated, insecure, and threatened? Like no, this isn’t and hasn’t been a weird one side thing-he very much was apart of this friendship.  I wouldn’t go this far for someone that never gave me the time of day. I admit, I can come off as really strong and I usually do scare off girls from pursuing Baekhyun. And he never once cared, he never once told me to back off, until Hana.

 

I know Baekhyun, I know him better than himself.  He doesn’t like Hana anymore, I can see the how he wavers when he looks at me. He misses me. He’s just confused. He is a grade A jerk, but I don’t blame him too much, I can never hate him.  Hana was a shiny new toy Baekhyun just couldn’t figure out.  She was the one girl that didn’t like Baekhyun, and everyone liked Baekhyun. But now that he’s got her all figured out, he’s finally realizing who really is meant to be with him.

 

Okay, I’m not pushing all the blame off of me. To be honest, I can be a little… much when I’m being threatened.  I didn’t and won’t back off- even when he asked me to. So maybe I really don’t know when to stop and I am a little crazy.  But can you BLAME me? He’s literally my bestfriend and soulmate, why would I give up without a fight?

 

One final thing before I start telling my side of the story, no I do not know what Baekhyun and Hana’s story is and frankly I couldn’t care less what they’ve been through and how they got together.  But if I had to give it a title it would be: How to Steal A Man in 100 days or Less. I’m sure that would be a cute read that would gather a lot of subscribers but this isn’t their story, it’s mine.

 

 

 

Don’t Trust Anyone

Day 1

 

I remember the first day Baekhyun introduced me to Hana, because he always introduces me to new kids. I should have known right then and there that she was a threat. I should have made it really clear then that Baekhyun was mine and I should have pushed her onto some kids I know.

I should have… I don’t know his face and marked my territory.

 

“Hey Lena, meet Hana, she’s new.” Baekhyun smiled.  I looked up from my table, and lazily lifted my brow. She’s cute. My eyes then moved over to look my man up and down.  He looked so fine with a snapback pulled backwards on his head, exposing his clear and pale skin.  I almost my lips and groaned when I saw that he was wearing my favorite black jeans, one that fit him too perfectly and a baseball tee I bought him last weekend.

 

“Hey Hana. Nice to meet you.” I stuck out my hand for a handshake, a bored expression on my face.  I usually wasn’t interested in the new kids, I already had my own friends.

 

Hana looked up at Baekhyun, looking annoyed that he was dragging her around to meet other people, then finally slipping her tiny hands into mine after he shrugged, shooting me an apologetic smile.  I probably looked mean as hell, with my dark and intense eye makeup, perfectly manicured long nails, and leather jacket.  Weak handshake by the way.

 

“Hope you like it here.” I told her genuinely before turning back to my conversation with Sora and Kai.  She looked at me blankly before rolling her eyes. Okay, what’s her problem?

 

“Let’s go meet some other people.” Baekhyun said gently, guiding her away, his hand on the small of her back.

 

 

 

Can’t Trust Ice Princesses

Day 5

 

“Baekhyun, what are you doing? Wanna go get ice cream and go to the movies with me?” I muttered into the phone.  I was laying upside down off the side of my bed because I was just that bored.

 

“Sorry, I’m busy today.” Baekhyun said quietly.  

 

“Why? It’s Friday night, what could you possibly be doing without me?” I rolled my eyes, sitting up straight, wincing as the blood from my head rushed down.

 

“I’m with Hana.” He said quickly.

 

“Really?” I frowned. “Why?” Although he was on the welcoming committee, he never really ever hung out with the newbies outside of school.  Afterall his only job was to make sure they got comfortable at school.  I could hear shuffling in the background and I knew he was excusing himself to talk somewhere more privately.

 

He groaned, “I’m kinda frustrated.  I feel like I’m not doing my job right.  She like is so indifferent and cold. She isn’t trying to make any friends and I just feel so bad for her.”

 

“She didn’t make any new friends yet?”

 

“Not really. And she insists that she doesn’t want or need any.”

 

“Oh. Okay then I guess.  Come over when you’re done?” I suggested, now making my way towards the kitchen in search for a snack.

 

“Of course.  I’ll bring over dessert too.”

 

To this day, wonder if he was already lying to her.  I wonder if he ever told Hana that he it was me he was talking to on the phone or that it was me he saw after he dropped her off.

 

 

 

 

Why Didn’t I See the Warning Signs?

Day 12

 

“Where have you been?” I squealed as I jumped onto Baekhyun, who just walked through my bedroom door, unannounced. He caught me easily and chuckled. I looked up at him and pouted, “I feel like it’s been forever since we hung out.”  It was kinda an unspoken agreement that we had that we wouldn’t really showcase our close relationship in school (well I really didn’t care and did what I want but Baekhyun was more shy).  We both had our own friend groups and we spent enough time together out of school.  

 

“Sorry Lena.” Baekhyun muttered, rubbing my back as I refused to let go. “I’ve been kinda busy with Hana.” He dipped down to press a quick kiss on my cheek.

 

I finally lifted my head off his shoulder and shot him a look. “Hana? Again? Why? I thought you didn’t like her.”

 

“I don’t know.” He sighed, dropping us on my bed. “She just seems so dead inside, I feel like I need to help her open up again.  You now how much I hate seeing people look lonely. She’s like emotionally damaged.”

 

“It’s not your job to help her.” I told him, turning to look over at him. “You’re too nice for your own good.”

 

“I know.” He said, absentmindedly playing with the ends of my hair.

 

You’re confused right? It seems like Hana wanted nothing to do with Baekhyun, right? You, an experienced reader is probably thinking, she probably has some weird past that makes her all cold and untrusting of people and somehow just somehow Baekhyun is the one to break down those walls with his annoyingly persistent personality, right? Typical fanfic plot, I know.

 

In hindsight, I probably should have gotten Kai to go befriend and bother this Hana girl and make her come out of her shell or whatever, fix her cold heart.  He’s handsome, funny, and just as persistent as Baekhyun.  And maybe if he succeeded and ended up falling in love with Hana he would get over his one sided crush on our friend Sora, who was oblivious to literally everything.

 

I should have seen the signs.  This was my first mistake.

 

 

 

Excuse Me?

Day 15

 

I was putting some cookies I made last night into Baekhyun’s locker before school started.  I pulled out a sharpie and some pink post it notes after shutting the locker.  My nose crinkled as I uncapped the marker and began writing a note.

 

Baekhyun! I made your fave cookies ^^; Eat them and think of me ;) xx Lena

 

Just as I was done and about to walk away, I saw Baekhyun following a really grumpy looking Hana coming down this way.  She was scowling while Baekhyun looked pretty nervous. He didn’t even spare me a glance as they stormed by his locker and down the hall.

 

Um, okay?

 

 

 

 

WYD? WYA?

Day 16

 

I was lying in bed, bored as heck, wondering what Baekhyun was up to.  His mother came over for dinner but he wasn’t there like he usually is.  His mother didn’t even know where he was.  I decided to text him.

 

         

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter