1/2

Of Coffee Mugs and Cinnamon (Prequel of Of Brooding and Hot Chocolate)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"If those ing deliveries won't be here on or before 3 o'clock, you'll see how you will lose the ing deal, I'm telling you!" The marketing head hanged up and slammed the phone on its place. Agitation and irritation was clearly written on his face, and he flopped down on his office chair with a loud huff. For the nth time of the day, he ran his fingers through his already disheveled locks and let out a lot 'ARGH' in so much exasperation.

He ing pre-ordered those cotton and dyes since a month ago, and it is a big annoyance on how the materials were just completed this morning. Now that the company needed them the most for more clothing production, the delivery trucks are stuck in a heavy traffic caused by some road accident bull that Luhan would never take as an excuse.

Damn. He was not even supposed to do this. That Kim ing know-it-all is the one who should have ordered and the one worrying and fussing about this.

He slammed his fist on the table, and his other hand swept some unnecessary papers off his desk in anger. He had enough; how could he get promoted if dumb people are being a big hindrance?

In the midst of the tense atmosphere, three soft knocks were heard from the other side of the door. Luhan didn't need to look to know who the other one was, as the series of knocks were all too familiar to him.

Instead of his usual 'come in,' Luhan, consumed by his turbulent emotions to even think rationally, threw a random object that turned out to be a stapler at the door to let the other man know of the department head's presence, and to relay a silent command for him to come in.

"Boss Lu?" A deep, calming voice resonated in the office's walls, followed with a tingle of a spoon against a ceramic cup.

"Isn't it supposed to be your lunch break?" Luhan asked, eye peeping between his fingers covering his face. Sure, the other employee often walked in to find his department head all fired up and his office a chaos, but Luhan felt shame on his part that the other who often saw him in his prim and proper look would see the disheveled mess he is right now.

"Yes, I'm already done, but it seems like you haven't eaten yet," the taller man answered as he laid a warm cup of coffee on Luhan's desk. "Did you bring lunch today, sir?"

"Nah, I woke up late and yeah. I dashed out of the bathroom as soon as I finished cleaning up." Luhan stared at the other man who started stooping down to clean the mess the elder created. "Just let those things be, Sehun. They're useless scratches anyway. Just go ahead."

"Then I'll take them to the paper shredder," Sehun said, going on his task of picking up the things Luhan oh so graciously threw.

"ed up suppliers," Luhan murmured under his breath as he ran his hand through his hair again. "I'll tell Big Boss to nullify the contract because of the rate they are going. We can have better suppliers anyway."

Sehun, as usual, flashed his pearly whites to the elder who wore a scowl.

"The thing is, from the beginning, I was actually doubting about their reliability. I heard from Jongdae that they really , but that mothering Kim Joonmyeon convinced Boss that that supplier is better than my recommendation. him."

Sehun merely nodded his head in response, and Luhan sighed. "And now, because that sleazy dickhead had dropped me all his job, I will be held responsible when a failure happens. What do you think I should do?"

"What you think is suit, Boss. I know that you're witty enough to think of solutions," was Sehun's meek answer.

"But the problem is that the ing truck driver is stuck in a traffic jam that I cannot control."

Sehun just finished filing all the papers and keeping his boss's things in place. He straightened up and stared down at the brunette. "Then just chill. Relax and sit back for now. It's still a lunch break anyway."

"Relax? Sit back?" Luhan's eyes protruded at the other man who tensed at the sight of his boss glaring at him. "How can I not be stressed over such a major matter? You do not know what you are talking about." Luhan brought the steaming cup to his lips, wishing for the warm liquid to relax his raging nerves. The espresso was too hot for his liking though, and he sputtered on it, whispering a soft '.' He laid the cup on the table, and some coffee from his mouth spilled on his slacks.

"Boss!" Sehun momentarily panicked, laying the papers on the table's corner and grabbed the tissue box from its place. "You okay?"

"Do I look okay?" Luhan, red-faced, glared at his subordinate, "the coffee was too hot! Are you planning to scald my mouth?"

"But you always said that, 'I want hot foods really hot and cold stuff very cold,'" Sehun said softly, his swift fingers bringing the tissue to pat the soiled spot on Luhan's slacks, "sorry, Boss."

"It happens once in a while anyway," Luhan wiped his burnt lips by the back of his hand, unmindfully wiping it on his slacks. "My tongue hurts though."

"Want some cold milk or iced tea?" Sehun inquired, worry evident in his voice. "How about your favorite mint ice cream?"

"Don't mind me. I'll just get a glass of cold water." Luhan made a motion to stand up, therefore getting past Sehun who was standing there awkwardly.

"Do you want me to buy you any lunch?"

"God, Sehun, please..." Luhan held up his hand, eyes dangerously narrow, and his eyebrow twitching, "I need to be alone. Just... leave me alone for now."

The addressed man quickly gathered the papers and bowed in apology. He turned, walked towards the door and went out.

 

As soon as the door was pinned shut, Luhan heaved a heavy sigh, and his hand twirled the mug around. His eyes skimmed over the writings on the blue sticky note, which was ruined by the coffee that dripped when he choked. Today, the note said:

 

'Cheer up. Everything would be alright, sir :)'

 

"I wish it is that easy." Luhan murmured under his breath. He sat back on his chair and leaned against it. Slouching on the comfy office chair, he turned towards the direction of the glass window. He stared outside to see the numerous skycrapers and buildings scattered along the busy city, and the cars running in a snail's pace at the said traffic jam.

He shut his droopy eyes, and breathed in the life-giving oxygen of the airconditioned room, and before he knew it, he fell into a cozy afternoon nap.

He only woke up when he slouched so much, slid off the office chair and landed on the cold tiled floor.

"God, I hate life," he said as he rubbed the sore part of his that collided with the floor.

 

 

 

Oh Sehun.

 

Such a peculiar, weird man.

 

As far as Luhan could remember, his lowly co-worker is about four years his junior. When he entered the company, he was known as a freshly grad student who impressed everyone with his plain but logical answers in his interview. Sehun's grades in college were more than average, and he exhibited exceptional desire to work in the company, thus being accepted.

It seems that the odds weren't on Sehun's favor though. As the youngest member of the whole department, he was the one who does the jobs that are far from the ones any man who finished his degree should be doing.

Sure, the dude is busy with his own work, but then an elderly co-worker would interrupt his momentum and order him around.

 

"Hey, Oh, could you please make ten cups of coffee for our meeting later?"

 

"Kid, you put these in the shredder."

 

"Throw this away."

 

"You pretty face, may you wash tupperwares? I'm currently working on my deadline so hurry up and do as I say."

 

Unsurprisingly, the young employee slowed down with his own job, preventing him from any promotion that he deserves. The zeal Sehun put in each and every work never remained unnoticed in Luhan's watchful eye. Sehun seemed to be a part-time employee, full-time office boy who always makes the coffee and beverages of the members of the department.

Luhan cringed internally at the other's 'incompetence.' How can someone with a bright future let himself be ordered around like an errand boy? If Sehun could not say 'no' to simple things, then how can he survive in the company whilst ascending himself into a level of proficiency he should possess? Is he contented in such a lowly position?

As much as he wanted to call the other off, the kid seems sensitive. Sehun was way too humble, much to Luhan's dislike, even if the former was obviously more skilled than some other cunning leeches in the office. How can Sehun secure himself in higher positions with such meekness?

It is evident that Oh Sehun does not belong in their environment unless he grows a spine, but Luhan does not have the heart to discard the other or transfer him to the other departments.

The warm smiles and gestures of the young man also comes in the form of memo notes sticking on the cups. He does that with every single officemate, probably naïvely believing that they treat him as part of the family. How a gangling six footer who stumbles on his steps whilst carrying bags and bags of take-out orders from the nearby fastfood chain agrees to be treated like one of the cleaning staff makes Luhan shake his head in disapproval.

Perhaps they do see him as a part of them, because of the young man's talents, kindness and undeniably good looks, but Luhan, who grew up to be the cynical, demanding and hard-to-please professional he is, believes that everyone is taking advantage of the young guy.

 

Luhan does not care.

 

 

Most of the time, Luhan takes overtimes, and he often leaves his own office to see Sehun cramped in his work area, working his off to catch up with the stuff he failed to accomplish because of his beloved co-workers' requests.

Most of the time, Luhan goes first, but Sehun would him out of the hundred-storey building until his boss steps in his own car or occasionally, a cab the younger fetched for him. Luhan always reprimanded him for the unnecessary act, stating that he is a grown man in his late 20s and that he could take care of himself, but Sehun never listened.

"Take care, Boss." Sehun would smile, his dark eyebags crinkling under his eyes.

 

Luhan never looks back to give an answer.

 

 

 

One evening, Luhan walked in the marketing office and saw Sehun's face buried on the table. The schedule that day was more stressful than usual, as the manager dumped them more exhausting, time consuming and patience-lowering jobs.

Sehun still took an overtime, and here he is: a sleeping heap of limbs on his table. His laptop is , with all the reports of the day's delivery transactions displayed on the dim screen.

Luhan went closer and saw the other's back rising with every breath. His baby blue long sleeve was noticeably tight so one can see his biceps and back muscles. Luhan mentally traced the outline of the younger's back and took note of the black-haired man's broad shoulders.

Luhan shrugged his own, and stared down to his feet. He felt somewhat jealous of the other's build. Luhan barely hit the gym, and everytime he was there, he would just use the treadmill. His toned arms were not that strong, and his strong legs that used to be his instrument in being the football player he was years and years ago were not as agile as they used to be. Well, Luhan would not even like to think of his flat but soft stomach.

His height. God, Luhan should be contented with his good height, but Sehun's long legs that almost knocked on the bottom of his desk made the elder somewhat envious.

Perhaps from Luhan's occasional sniffs due to his cold, did Sehun wake up from his slumber. He rubbed his sleepy eyes, and as soon as they landed on the figure of his boss looking at him with critical eyes, Sehun realized what situation he was in and bowed numerous times in apology.

"Yo, Oh Sehun. If you are going to sleep, just get your up and go home already," Luhan mumbled coldly as he leaned against another desk. "You're wasting the office's electricity."

"I'm sorry, Boss Lu." Sehun's lips curled into a lazy smile as his other balled up fist rubbed his eye. "I thought you already went home."

"Sorry to let you know that I haven't," were Luhan's words before he pulled a nearby chair and sat on it. "It's like... past eleven already. Aren't you still done with that?"

"I'll just e-mail it to you," Sehun said and he proceeded on doing the task.

"I cannot even imagine someone with such a low position who takes overtimes every single night, but still does not qualify in the standards of promotion. Do you even sleep?"

Sehun meekly looked at him with his reddish eyes. Luhan went on.

"Why the hell do you even let people order you around?" Luhan was obviously pissed by the way his eyebrows knitted together, but Sehun still listened. "You didn't graduate in a prestigious university with flying colors just to be treated as an office boy. It's interfering with your work, and that prevents me from approving your promotion applications... Oh wait, I never saw you apply for any position. How can you be promoted without sending any applications?"

"This isn't for the promotion. My job already earns enough for me. Or if I am really desiring for any promotion, I'll do anything for me to pass, for me to sustain my mother's needs."

"Eh?" Luhan blinked, clearly aware that the talk is getting more personal. "Don't you have any siblings? Or a father? What's with your mother? Is she terminally ill?"

"Nah," a chuckle left Sehun's mouth as he proceeded on shutting down his laptop. "I'm the only child. About my mother, she's not dying. Though, she has a weak immune system. A family friend keeps her in and tends on her sickly body. I am the one who supports her financially though since Father died. So whatever they make me do here, I will, just to remain here and get a salary."

"Oh." Luhan nodded his head along with his mind processing all the information he had just acquired.

As someone who grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth and two, perfectly healthy and alive parents currently living back in China with his married sibling, Luhan could not emphatize with the other. Someone who exercised apathy in the past years of working in such an excruciatingly fierce environment would never be able to do so.

"Um... I... I didn't know. I thought you're just being incompetent and a scaredy who's scared of being eaten alive by his superiors during the race for promotions." Luhan unknowingly muttered as he bit his thumbnail.

Sehun answered, "perhaps I am, but well... maybe, I'll give it a try next time. It's never too late to change my living conditions. Is it, Boss Lu?"

 

 

"Are you hitting on me?" Luhan blurted out of the blue while the elevator was going down from the ninety-first floor.

Sehun stared at him in confusion, to which Luhan answered, "Y-You know. You kept on doing these 'gentlemanly' gestures even if I am obviously not interested. Or is it that you're seeking connections for promotions?" The elder mentally cursed himself for stuttering, which does not happen on any ordinary day, let alone on front of his subordinate. Ugh.

"Wow, Boss. So the news is true," Sehun said, amused, and his lips curving into a knowing smirk Luhan never saw on the former's face. "Everyone says that you're so damn narcissistic and overly confident. It's indeed true."

"Just being sure," Luhan crossed his arms as he craned his neck to look at the towering male, "it's better to be clear. I'm not into office romances."

"No one said that you are," Sehun answered in a playful manner. "To be honest, I'm just worried about you, Boss. You're always working hard ceaselessly, and you act in a me-against-the-world manner."

"I'm almost thirty, Sehun," a flustered Luhan grumbled, to which Sehun replied, "that's it. You're getting older."

Luhan narrowed his eyes towards the other male, who wore a puzzled expression. "Did you just call me 'old?'"

"Er, did I hit the wrong buttons?" Sehun laughed nervously at his boss, who was more displeased with the act. "Yah, Oh Sehun. Do you want me to influence the deduction of your salary?"

"Kidding, Boss," Sehun threw his hands up in surrender, "you still look younger than you really are, though."

"Oh shut up," Luhan scoffed as he watched the number on the elevator go down from floor to floor, "I'm doing it for the promotion, you know. I need to support some nephews who are soon going to college."

"Woah. You make them study?" Sehun gaped to which Luhan rolled his eyes. "I cannot do that one. You're awesome, Boss."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Luhan pursed his lips together and huffed on his growing bangs. The elevator door opened, and Luhan quickly stepped out of the cramped metal walls, and Sehun followed suit.

"You know what, you're also working your off as I can see." Luhan doesn't have to look back to see that the other is flustered by the remark. "Keep it up... For your mother."

"Thank you, Boss. Have a good night sleep." Sehun's voice sounded so cheerful, and Luhan got annoyed. 'He is such a kid, isn't he?'

He already stepped in his car and started the engine, and he can still feel Sehun's presence from the building's entrance. Luhan was about to speed up to his way home, but he did the unthinkable...

 

He stared on his side mirror, which reflected Sehun's serene, gentle expression, drowsy but alive orbs looking back at him. Sehun suddenly smiled.

 

Luhan forgot how to breathe for a second.

 

 

 

Luhan would never know how and why, but in the next few weeks, the department head found himself spending more time with Sehun during their supposed overtimes. Whenever they finish early, they start talking, ranging from the trivial ones up to the serious personal talks, related with work or not.

Despite their contrasting personalities, they discovered that there are a few things they have in common. Both were soccer players and dancers back in high school, and both stopped extracurricular activities in college to focus to their priorities. Both like the color white, bubble teas, and any activity that involved body movements.

 

"Any activities that involves the body?" Sehun wriggled his eyebrows suggestively, and he never regretted saying the remark even if his face collided with flying clipboards and clearbooks. At least, he saw his boss get red-faced and flustered over such a 'petty' matter, as Sehun puts it.

 

Both are kinesthetic learners, though they did well in their academic classes. Both despise the same things and persons, especially the loathesome existence that was Kim Joonmyeon.

 

"He's so ing smooth just like his office floor," Sehun scoffed as he stapled some papers together. "I want to trample on his face whenever I see him grinning with that shady smile of his."

"I'm on your side," Luhan grunted while typing, the keyboard making loud noises with every rapid press on the keys, "once I eliminate that from the face of earth, I'll stop being one and be nicer towards you, guys."

"You're fine the way you are, Boss Lu," would always be Sehun's answer.

 

Luhan once mentioned about how he ended growing up in Korea since he was three and how his family moved back to China once his elder brother got married. Luhan chose to stay behind, as his blossoming career at the time was escalating on its peak. He surely had a hard time coping up since he was Chinese, and his race was usually belittled in Korea. Sehun joked about how someone as scary as Luhan could be bullied, and the latter answered how he wasn't the ferocious beast he is today.

"You're more like a wild deer," Luhan would often hear from Sehun, to which the elder would scoff childishly and hit the other on the shoulder.

"Shut up."

 

As much as Luhan was scared of heights, Sehun was at the same degree freaking out over bugs. Luhan discovered that when they were once eating some meat and sweets that Luhan bought with a small portion of his salary. Sehun excused himself to get some water in the office kitchen, and a rather unmanly, nasal shriek was heard from the small room.

"It's just a bug, Sehun," Luhan's hands glued on his own hips as he scowled on the tall, jumping man. "Just a bug. Now, please stop jumping. I'm getting dizzy you e--"

"SHUT THE UP, LU HAN AND JUST KILL IT ALREADY!" 

 

That was also the first time Sehun addressed him with his full name, but Luhan couldn't help but laugh raucously instead of getting angry.

 

They're talking about anything and it's almost comical how almost everything about their interests 'clicked.'  Sehun would often talk about his mother's progress and Luhan about the deadly office work and his nephews from his other cousins. Sehun was more of a listener but it seems that he enjoys Luhan's constant rants.

Luhan was also aware of the sudden buzz of made-up stories about what happens whenever the two are left in the office late at night, but the department head gave no attention on the rumors.

Sometimes he would drive around the city, and he somewhat questioned himself how someone as apathetic and brutal as him suddenly softened to a stupidly naughty but naïve existence in the name of Oh Sehun.

The guy was basically a bright gumball hidden under a cold-looking face and sturdy body, which terribly contrasted with the cherub-faced Luhan's stoic and indifferent nature. He does not even know why the he agreed to open himself up to a lowly officemate, which he never even did with his so-called friends who shared the same interest in earning tons and tons of cash whilst greedily drowning themselves in them.

He would never admit it, but he is glad to find a friend in Sehun who he knows would never take advantage of him.

 

He once tried to distance himself from the younger once Sehun was promoted, for the people not to think that the bright office worker used his alleged connection with the department head. But once his eyes landed on the dejected glimmer in Sehun's eyes when he ignored the younger on purpose, he quickly changed his mind and went on with his 'secret' friendship with his officemate. How could he refuse such a younger brother figure he had been accustomed on being with for the past year?

 

 

"Hah, you should have seen the look on Joonmyeon's face when the client commended me on front of the director and the department manager." Luhan was bragging for the rest of the hour that they were drinking some coffee Sehun oh so graciously prepared to have some m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter