Chapter 1

The Bucket List

"So you really don't know right now, Dr. Kim?" My mother's frail voice cracks after the doctor returned with the news.

I lay my head on my brother, Hoseok's, shoulder for comfort.

Dr. Kim gave us a gentle look. "Well, we discovered it fairly early so it's a matter of whether she responds to treatments."  He looked back at my mom. "She has an 85-90 percent chance that the treatments will be successful. I am going to go get the medicine she will need to take. I will leave you three in privacy in the mean time." He gave us a small smile before he quietly shut the door.

I felt my mom's hand ruffle my hair. "Honey..." She put her arms around me and embraced Hoseok and me. "I love you two." She whispered. "Honey, you have great odds and you will still be able to live a normal life."

Hoseok pulled away and smiled. "Besides if anyone is stubborn enough to beat this, it's you." That earned him a smack on the shoulder from me.

"I'm going to be okay?" I say quietly to myself, but it ended up sounding like a question.

My brother smiles. "You will be healthy,

A knock on the door alerted us that Dr. Kim was back. "Okay Miss Jung. Here is the medicine Haneul needs to take. She needs to take one pill each everyday." He heads my mom the prescription drugs. He then looks at me. "Haneul, I recommend you not to do any invigorating activities. I mean you can participate in gym or hang out with friends, but if you get tired then take a break."

He paused for me to  do something to acknowledge that I understood so I nodded.

He turned back to my mom. "Her next appointment is scheduled exactly two weeks from now at 9." He smiled before opening the door again. "I'll see you then. I hope I'll have good news to report."

After a silent walk through the hospital and the parking lot, we made it to the car. I guess Hoseok was feeling generous because he let me sit in the front seat.

I glance at my brother in the back seat. "Hey Hoseok?"

"Yeah?"

I hesitated. "Can we not tell any of my friends or your friends about this?"

He looked slightly confused. "Why?"

I leaned my head against the window. "I just don't want anyone to treat me different." 

"I'm sure they won't treat you different, Haneul." My mom says. "They love you too much."

I refrain from rolling my eyes because my mom means well. "Yeah they won't abandon me, but they will worry constantly." I gaze back at Hoseok. "So...?"

"Alright. Fine. I won't say anything as long as you take your medicine and don't overwork yourself. Does that sound fair?" I see him smile in the rear view mirror.

"Fair." 

After we get home my mom begins cooking dinner. Hoseok told me she's making speghetti, coincidentally my favorite food. While he is laying on the couch in the living room I get out my journal and flip to a blank page. 

I title it "Jung Haneul's Bucket List (Just in case.)

I began listing things that I had been thinking about in the car.

- Learn a second language
- Build a telescope
- Go ice skating
-Learn to make sushi
- Pass Chemistry (I'll pass this even if it kills me)
- Go camping with my brother and our friends
- Go to an Exo concert
- Go skinny dipping
- Get accepted to college
- Confess to Jeon Jungkook
- Lose ity (preferably with above but...)
-Accomplish 10 things on this list