Fated to Love You

Fated to Love You (Goblin: A Lonely and Great God)

FATED TO LOVE YOU
Part 2 : flashback

Seoul, Korea

I carefully tuck the red scarf around my neck to keep myself a little bit warmer in such a cold weather. It's nearly winter and there's nothing better but to stay inside the house and drink something warm.

I brushed the scarf, feeling it's softness against my skin. A sudden thought came to mind as I saw the falling snow.

On the day of the first snowfall every year… the goblin agrees to be summoned by me.

I slowly reached out my hand—

"Jae Hye Jin!"

Startled, I looked at my friend with a dumbfounded face and said, 

"What?"

Kim Sang-mi, a friend of mine since childhood, frowned at me in return. 

"You're not paying attention again!" She growled, and with a tone of disbelief, added, "You nearly crossed the street!"

I winced as I glanced at the red traffic light a few meters away from the pedestrian lane.

"Do you want to die or what?" She said before scratching her head in distress. "My god, I don't know what I will do with you." She continued on like a very displeased parent for what seem like hours as I looked down sheepishly, knowing for a fact that I wouldn't be able to defend myself at that very moment. 

I would've agreed with her anyway. It's true that I've been thinking too hard about many things. The other time, I overcooked the dinner because I was thinking about some things.

Things that will surely surprise Sang-mi. 

Things that no one will believe.

"And here you are thinking of going abroad to study? When you couldn't even cross the street properly?" Sang-mi shook her head as she continued with her parental tirade. 

I smiled inwardly at the upset tone in her voice, knowing how hard she must've took the news. We've been friends nearly all  my life. We've shared many moments together.

I looked at her. "Are you that upset about it?"

She glanced away from me, still pissed. "Of course not!" She said.

I smiled at her as she, rather adorably, kick at an imaginary stone on the road.

"I'm not upset." She muttered. "I want you to pursue your dreams. I want you to be successful. I want you to be happy."

She looked at me now with a serious expression on her face. "And I know you're not completely happy here."

My eyes widened, for a minute I suddenly had the urge to cry. Even though I stopped telling her things when we grew up because it is something that would only exist in fairytales and not in real life. I told her about those visions when we were kids, about the man in my dreams, about my fate— about my past life.

But those things doesn't exist in real life. Goblins and grim reapers. That's why I kept it to myself when we grew up.

Sang-mi then grabbed my arms and said, "Don't worry about me."

Tears started to fall from my eyes. Unheeded, without any warning, as I stared at my dear friend.

"I just hope you find what you're looking for there in Canada."