001; studio

The Documentary of Park Jimin

001; studio


Bae Jiha walked up to the elevator, her hands grasping her DSLR camera tightly as she skipped inside. Her heart was fluttering with excitement as she walked past the doors and leaned against the cool metal surface, humming a pleasing tune to herself.

She had been interning a photographer in L’Oreal Paris in Seoul. Photography had always been Jiha’s passion, and after a well-deserved degree in fashion photography, she was more than excited to be living her dream.

Today was her first day in field work; the first time Jiha would actually be involved with staff in a photoshoot. So far, she had been doing a lot of training, a lot of tutorials, but she had never been hands-down involved in a photoshoot, but today it would change.

Her first assignment was for a new makeup line called Les Rouges, and perhaps the most interesting thing about it was that she was working with two male models for the shoot. Jiha noticed, from reading articles and looking at L’Oreal’s collection of photos, that male makeup models were more in style nowadays and definitely did help to boost the company’s sales.

With a smile, Jiha walked out of the elevator, turning right into the velvet hallway, her shoes squeaking a little on the beige tiles as she made her way to studio seven.

She was greeted with warm smiles and welcomes by the two people there. There was one other intern photographer with her, and of course another photographer that had more professional experience than the two of them. He was only there to offer them guidance, but the task of taking photographs were theirs and theirs alone.

“Alright, welcome to studio seven. This is where most of the individual model shoots or photoshoots of a smaller calibre take place.” Kim Benji, or Ben as he had everyone call him, began to address the two interns. “So, your first photoshoot with L’Oreal, how do you feel?”
“Very excited, Ben. A bit nervous too.” Jiha admitted truthfully, to which Ben laughed.

“I like your honesty. It is okay to be a bit nervous. But you two are definitely up to the mark to start off with individual shoots. I’ve especially heard good things about you, Jiha.”

Jiha bowed with respect, as her whole face lit up with pleasure at those words.

“I’ll do my best, Ben.”
“I trust that you will.” Ben grinned as he handed out their assignment print-outs. “So you obviously know what you are working for. Les Rouges focuses on eight shades of red on their palette. This line of makeup focuses on lipsticks, eyeshadows and nail varnish. They’ve divided four shades amongst the two of you. Today’s shoot will focus on the eyes and the lips separately. You’ll be working together for some different shots, but that is tomorrow.”

Jiha and her fellow intern Sunhye nodded, the both of them eager to get started.

“You are allowed to incorporate your own personal flavour to the shoot, but do remember to highlight the areas mentioned. Don’t lose sight of the aim in favour of something exciting and vibrant.”

Jiha looked down at her assignment, before walking over to Sunhye. The other girl and her began to discuss something about painting the lipsticks on the skin itself to show the colour palette. They also agreed to get the two models together for a joint shoot.

Jiha waited for her model to appear, getting her camera ready as her heart beat at a quick pace. She was very nervous now, and trying not to let it get the better of her. She focused her attention back to her side of the set; studio seven was fairly big, so they could each have one end of the studio to themselves.

She looked back down at her assignment. The model assigned to Sunhye was someone called Byun Baekhyun. The name most certainly was familiar, and when Jiha saw the model assigned to herself, he too seemed very familiar.

Park Jimin.

She couldn't remember his face well, but the name was one she had definitely heard. He wasn't a rookie, and Jiha was admittedly a little nervous to be working with someone who had experience, and could possibly chide her for being new-

Maybe he's nice. Jiha shook her head, as she began to set up the lights. In a more professional scenario, she would have assistants to help her with the lighting, but today she was working on her own with one of the models, so Jiha had the laborious task of putting up the studio lighting all by herself.

Once that was done, she looked down at her camera, going through some other photographs she had taken. Her mind was buzzing, thinking about whether to use some strong lighting, keeping it natural, using filters and such of the sort that she had not noticed someone stand next tho her, until she heard him clear his throat.

"Bae Jiha, right? The photographer that's assigned to me?"

Jiha looked up with a nod, and when she did, her heart skipped a beat as he walked closer, a smile as bright as day greeting her. The corners of his eyes crinkled as he grinned, black paint lined his eyes in way that was so graceful. Red splashed across his eyelids and was painted on his lips.

He was simply a work of art.

He raised a brow as she looked at him silently, drinking in the stunning features of Park Jimin.

"Ah, yes, it's nice to meet you." She snapped out of her daze as she held her hand out, and he took it in his and shook it with another small smile.

"Likewise, Jiha-ssi."
"Oh, please just call me Jiha. Is Jimin okay for you too?" She spoke with confidence, but on the inside Jiha was questioning where it was coming from. He nodded, saying that it was definitely okay for them to be on a first-name basis with each other.

"That's good, then. Let's begin?"

Jimin sat down on the stool set for him, pushing his pink hair back as he looked at Jiha. They both became more serious now, as Jiha began to take her photographs.

There was definitely something magical about Park Jimin, Jiha had realised. Each gaze towards the camera held such intensity, the slightest tilt of the head made all the difference in her shots. His presence was so powerful in each photograph. His aura was breath-taking, almost suffocating.

"How did they turn out?" Jimin walked towards her with a curious look on his face. Standing next to him, she showed him the photographs, going through them.

“They are nice. Too nice, you’re obviously very good at your job.” Jiha winked, nudging him slightly. “

Oh, they are nice… Honestly, I just wear makeup and sit down on the stool. It’s you guys that work the magic.”

Jiha managed to stutter out flustered thanks at those words, but quickly reassumed a professional stance as she looked at Jimin.

“I have some ideas, I’d like you to try them…”

The first fifteen minutes of the shoot, and Jiha had what she had needed. There were some very impressive shots that even she had surprised herself, and she was glad to see that her model loved the way they turned out as well.

“Hey, mind if I steal some of your pictures for my portfolio?”
“For a price.” Jiha winked, as Ben gave her the approval to carry on with the shoot, and that would mean Jimin would have to have his makeup done differently.

“Be right back, partner.” Jimin sent a wink her way, and walked off towards the green rooms. Jiha shook her head as she chuckled. My, was Park Jimin quite the type.

He was back in fifteen minutes, surprisingly. A time that seemed very quick for a look as heavy. That’s how long she took to do her own makeup, and Jiha definitely did not wear as much makeup.

Perhaps the stylists are very efficient. Jiha simply concluded, as Jimin walked to her, still wearing the same striped black and white (sleeveless) shirt that showed off his (strong) arms and made his tanned skin stand out.

The thought was quickly pushed out of her head as they resumed with the photoshoot. Jiha did not struggle to maintain a very professional front, even with the small voice at the back of her head whispering praises of Jimin and practically worshiping the man she had just met.

However, she did not hide her admiration for the man, capturing each expression he formed at the lens. Each angle showed him filled with poise, the way Jimin held himself in front of the camera was just so enthralling for the young photographer that she would not mind if they had to work overtime just so that she could photograph him over and over.

But once the young model disappeared for reapplying makeup, and came back in only fifteen minutes, her curiosity was tickled, she simply had to know why Jimin did not take as long for a face caked (well, maybe not caked but) with makeup.

Jiha couldn’t really stop thinking about it, whenever her concentration from the photo session was averted to checking the quality of photographs. There was just no way they stylists were that quick. At least, not in her head and once Jiha got curious, she was almost never able to let it go. 

So, once he had gone to the green rooms, Jiha had waited for a while before she followed him, wanting to sneak a look at what he did.

Jiha stood by the door of the green room, and it was awfully quiet inside; which was surprising since she was expecting a stylist or two to be inside and have a nice conversation with Jimin. But it was silent, save for a familiar number by Guns n’ Roses playing from his phone.

The door was open, but only just a little. It was still enough for Jiha to peek through, and she did.

Jimin was sat at in front of a mirror that had lights running along the side, but that simple mirror was showing Jiha a whole new world. The model was running a pencil through his eyebrows, making them thicker and even. Jiha gasped, but she was rooted to the spot as Jimin brought up a stick of liquid eyeliner, and popped the cap open as he effortlessly drew along the upper lashes, winging the makeup out so perfectly that she could only gape.

Park Jimin was doing his own makeup…

Jiha’s hand pushed the door open slightly, thanking all the gods she believed in when it didn’t creak and Jimin didn’t notice. She brought the camera up, her heart racing when she could capture the young man in the viewfinder’s frame. Jimin’s mirror had his devoted attention, as he winged the other eye in the same manner, his teeth sinking into his bottom lip and brows raised, his irises following the path of the black eyeliner.

Click.

The capture was audible, and Jiha turned around the corner, leaning against the wall as her heart now pounded with fear. What if she was caught? How would she explain herself? Testing her camera? Testing Jimin’s sense of awareness? Taking some behind-the-scenes shots?

Yeah, that was a better idea. Jiha waited for Jimin to walk outside the room and catch her in the act, but two, three, five minutes later, and no action. He didn’t seem to have noticed her, so Jiha tiptoed back to the door, bringing her camera back up again (this time, silencing her shutter release).

Jimin’s eyelids were painted a dark shade of maroon, and he was blending the eyeshadows so effortlessly, like he knew what he was doing and he had known for a long time.

Click.

Perhaps this wasn’t the most moral thing to do, but Jiha just could not resist taking a photograph of him, capturing this moment that seemed so unique and exciting in her eyes. Jimin was truly photogenic whenever he pleased, and Jiha wanted to capture all of it on her camera.

Click.

Jimin was contouring the edges of his face, lips pursed and cheeks in. Jiha watched as if Park Jimin was the most beautiful thing she had set her eyes on. And, it actually felt like he was. Maybe he really was.

Click.

She stepped aside when she noticed his head turn around once more, and with a fast beating heart, Jiha made her way back to the studio.

But this alone was not enough to satisfy her, she wanted more photographs, she wanted to capture all of Park Jimin on her camera. Not this digital SLR camera but her very own, a film camera that was a gift from her grandfather. She wanted to capture the beauty of his youth on her old camera, the only way she saw fit. Her heart burned with the desire to photograph him, her fingers trembled to press the button over and over and have Jimin's face in the negatives of her film roll.

It was with a sigh that Jiha left her place from the entrance of the green room, looking through the few photographs she had managed to sneak over and over as she walked back to the studio. Jimin joined her a few moments later, another small smile on his face as he tried to look over her shoulder at the photographs on her camera.

“Heavens, you scared me.” Jiha yelped, nearly dropping her camera. Jimin just chuckled, before walking over to his spot in the studio. Jiha’s heart was still beating at a steadily fast pace as she held the camera against her chest, letting out a relieved sigh. At least he hadn’t seen the photographs…

“Last one, Jiha. And then, we’re done!” Jimin threw up his arms and grinned at Jiha, who could only laugh as she took a picture, unable to resist herself. Jimin could be quite cute when he wanted to be.

“Alright, Mr. Model. Let’s get to it, then!”

The remainder of the photoshoot progressed smoothly, and Ben was very pleased with Jiha’s outcomes. After tomorrow’s shoot, they would definitely be able to do any cropping and touch ups if needed and send in the finals by the end of the week.

Jiha was beaming with the compliments both the interns had gotten, and she began to pack her stuff away. The lights were brought down and put away in their boxes, the digital camera was packed and the box of lighting was placed with the rest of the studio’s equipment.

Picking up her backpack, Jiha began to make her way outside the studio, only to find herself slowing down outside Jimin’s green room. Her hand instinctively reached into her bag for her film camera, and she found herself walking towards the door, not knowing she was holding on to the bit of breath she had.

The door suddenly opened, and Jiha let out a tiny shriek as Jimin appeared at the doorway, smiling down at startled girl.

“I was wondering if you’d show up again, Jiha.” He chuckled, crossing his arms across his chest. Jiha raised her brow at Jimin, her camera lowering slowly. What was he talking about, surely not-

He leaned against the doorway, a small smirk on his lips, like he was teasing her.

“I saw you earlier, sneaking some photographs when I was doing my makeup.” He chuckled, looking straight at Jiha. “I mean, I assume you still want that since you're back here with a camera in your hand, so... do you just want a picture of me right now?”

Jiha blinked, her cheeks red as tomatoes as she looked up at him, her voice a quiet whisper as all she could manage to say was “What?”


01.03 hello sugarplums <3
Here is the first chapter of TDoPJ, and quite honestly I'm surprised there are so many of you that want to read it even before the first chapter is out! I'm so thankful for all the support and I'm glad you're all excited. This first chapter was a bit slow, and the story is not a very fast paced story though it will be a short one, but it was to set the base for the following chapters so I guess it's very much needed? Okay, now I'm rambling so I'll just shush and let you be the judge of it.

If you like it, leave a comment and maybe even recommend it to some friends ;p and let me know what you think! - H.