New Friends, New Life

That One Girl

"You may take the empty seat next to Kwang Soo," the 41-years old teacher pointed at the tallest student in class, so the new student just nodded and made his way as instructed. The class resumed right after, yet some were more interested with the young guy who just came into the room instead of giving attention to the 'complicated math formula' that was written on the whiteboard.

 

But it was a different case with Kwang Soo. His deskmate just ignored his presence, which made Jong Kook wondered if he wasn't welcome as new friend within the circle of elites. Although it was really awkward for him to be there, Jong Kook just pretended that everything was fine. He got his eyes fixed on the numbers that were scribbled by the math teacher, despite his sharp sense had caught people 'staring' at him and 'whispering' to each other behind his back.

 

45 minutes later, the bell rang. Nervousness suddenly hit him hard as his teacher left the room for recess time. Because he was new, Jong Kook didn't know if someone would be kind enough to invite him for lunch or he had to be the 'friendly guy' and ask any of his classmates if he can join them. Some students were already on their way to the cafeteria, but few were staying behind and now approaching him at his desk.

 

One of them was Eun Hye, a girl with ponytail hair who had been eyeing Jong Kook from the very beginning. "Annyeong classmate! Want to grab food together? By the way I'm Eun Hye," she offered a friendly handshake, but was strongly opposed by other girls who were also hoping for attention from Jong Kook 'the new guy'. Before the man himself could answer, Kwang Soo sarcastically interrupted, "Yaa.. can't you girls be less annoying than you already are?!"

 

"Yaa Kwang Soo! We're not talking to you!"

"Waeyo? Are you jealous that we asked Jong Kook but not you?"

"Mian.. I think your friend here is way better than you."

 

Almost every female student was making fun of the tall guy - turning his face red as he was consumed by anger. Kwang Soo furiously got up from his chair and left, marching his way straight to the exit door because he couldn't tolerate with the girls anymore. Feeling sorry for his deskmate, Jong Kook excused himself from the crowd and went on to search for Kwang Soo. His noble heart was telling him to be friendly to that young guy who seemed to be 'less-favoured' among the students, so Jong Kook decided to be Kwang Soo's new lunch buddy for that day.

 

Jong Kook saw Kwang Soo sitting all by himself at a table in the cafeteria, so he happily approached him to offer his friendship. Just few steps away before arriving at Kwang Soo's table, a girl passed by his shoulder and went straight to greet the tall guy. The unexpected 'guest' made Jong Kook hesitated to take another step, so he just observed the two from a couple of tables away. He tried to recall her name, only to realize that she wasn't from the same class as him and Kwang Soo.

 

"Since you're alone here.. do you mind if I join you?" suddenly Eun Hye appeared out of nowhere and took a seat next to him without waiting for his permission. Jong Kook merely responded with a weak smile. It's not that he doesn't welcome her at his table, but at that point of time he was more interested in the girl who was sitting with Kwang Soo. Realizing where his eyes were fixed on, Eun Hye simply offered an explanation, "That is Ji Hyo. She's not our classmate, but Kwang Soo is very close to her."

 

Jong Kook was impressed with Eun Hye's ability to read his mind, "Oh.. jinjja? Is she.."

"Forget it. She's Kwang Soo's girlfriend," Eun Hye casually replied while shoving food into . Then she looked at Jong Kook curiously, "Aren't you going to grab something for lunch? Recess will be over in 10 minutes."

"Oh.. gwaenchana. I have my food with me," Jong Kook took out a small packet of healthy sandwich that his mom had prepared for him just the way he liked it.

Eun Hye giggled when she saw the type of food that Jong Kook consumed, "You called that lunch? That wouldn't be enough for me!"

"I'm on a special diet. It's something that I have to commit if I want to stay fit and be accepted into the school's running team."

"Whoah.. so you're a runner? Daebak! Kwang Soo is a runner too, you know? But he's not that good if you ask."

"I'm not that great either," Jong Kook responded briefly while munching his food. Then he switched back the topic to the couple that he has been observing, "How long those two have been dating?"

"Who cares? All I know she's the only girl who makes friend with that annoying Kwang Soo. I guess she must be annoying too.. that's why they can fit with each other."

 

'But she seems.. nice,' Jong Kook's heart refused to believe any of Eun Hye's statement about Ji Hyo, yet he just kept his thought to himself. From the beginning till the end of recess hour, the only person he was interested in was the mysterious girl named Ji Hyo. Something about that girl made him curious, especially her connection to his deskmate - Kwang Soo. He wanted to know how she was able to 'trigger' Kwang Soo's friendly personality, when the rest of the students seemed to have a totally different view about the tall guy.

 

After a short assembly, classes resumed as usual. Jong Kook was the first to reach his desk, followed by Kwang Soo who immediately put on his 'cold' personality the moment he stepped into the room. "So.. what did you had for lunch?" Jong Kook 'broke the ice' with a casual question, but all he got was a strong glare from his deskmate. Nevertheless, Jong Kook kept on trying. This time, he provoked him, "Your girlfriend is pretty. You two look good on each other."

 

"Stay away from her. That is.. if you want to sit 'comfortably' next to me," a strong warning was given by Kwang Soo, which startled Jong Kook for a while. He never thought that the tall guy would be too sensitive when talking about his lunch partner, yet it made Jong Kook happy that he was able to get a response from Kwang Soo. As the teacher for Literature has not arrived, Jong Kook decided to make further effort to get Kwang Soo to talk, "I heard you're in the running team. I guess we'll be seeing each other on track soon."

 

Kwang Soo scoffed, "So you purposely join our running team because Ji Hyo will be there too?". Although he was supposed to deny it, somehow Jong Kook's mouth was sealed because of that question. What Kwang Soo just revealed to him was indeed a very important information - that 'Ji Hyo girl' will be there. She will be at the track for the team training, which means he got to see her again on that same day. Was it really a coincidence.. or fate has brought them together?