Chapter 1 : Tell Me Why

In The Summer

Song Muse of the Day: ToHeart - Tell Me Why

 

As a child, Lee Daeyeol never liked summer despite the long holidays he get. It wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the fact that the month long holiday was to be spent at the countryside. A place far away from the touch of modern technology and the chaotic city life, resting contently in the deep embrace of mother nature. A quaint village, ideal for stressed out adults wanting an escape but a hell hole for teenagers or any normal city children. 

The stay would have been bearable if only there was someone close to his age to play with. The villagers were mostly well aged adults whose children are living in cities. The only person he had was his big brother but he was hardly ever around. He was gone before he woke up and returns when the sun sets. 

For the many summers they were together, his routine never changes and never have young Daeyeol seen his big brother's smile as brightly as the rising sun of summer... except for the last day of summer.

The Lee brothers would be sent to their grandparents at the start of every Summer because they were their only grandchildren. From the stories young Daeyeol heard, big brother was never a fan of this vacation trip. He would dread the month long agony. That was before he had gotten lost wandering the mountain forest. The following Summers, he would pack his lunch and head to the mountain forest everyday of the Summer he was here. According to Grandpa, big brother was just facing his fears and fell in love with nature. For him, he never believed it because he knew the reason. The real reason why he loved Summer with all his heart. 

"Annyeonghaseyo harabeoji, harameoni." (Hello grandpa, grandma) 

Deep down, he doubt he could ever bring himself to love Summer as much as his big brother did because he made him return by himself for the past ten years.

"Oh Daeyeol-ya, you're here. Aigoo, you've grown so much in a year. Aigoo..." The two elders would fuss over the dashing young man in his late twenties. Taking his luggages for him and the usual cloth wrapped gift of the finest Korean beef. 

"You are looking so much like your big brother." 

Wrinkled hands hardened with age patted his cheeks lovingly, eyes reflecting an ache despite the smile she shown. It has been ten long years, of course they would have missed him. He was after all their first grandson. Daeyeol could only smile in return. 

Tiny thumping footsteps, "Waa.. Daeyeol hyung! Waaa!" A crying boy ran towards him and hugged his slim legs. Daeyeol ruffed his head and lifted him up. Wiping away his tear stained cheeks, "Did he bully you again?" The boy timidly nodded his head and he continued to sob. His uncles had finally gotten married and like his parents, they too sent their child here. Another boy timidly peeped from the wooden doorway, observing the little scene. Two boys with only a year difference but their personality was a spectrum of difference.

"Come here." He called out to the other boy. "What did I tell you about being nice to those younger than you." Hands glued to his side and his head hung as he mumbled an apology. Daeyeol made them make up by hugging each other and took out a bag of sweets he had bought for them. With a sniffle, the boys were once again playing happily. 

He watches over them as they peacefully divided the sweets. A nostalgic smile etched across his face. They reminded him of two people he knew very well and because of that, he adore the boys a lot. 

"I'm going out for a bit!" 

There is a place he had to go whenever he's back. The place where it all began. The place his big brother had loved and will always even if he doesn't return anymore. 

A sigh...