Part 1

My Everything

Now that I’ve come to know
You were the one always protecting me
Who’s always lacking things
You who’s worn out from waiting
Hold onto my Hand

 

The afternoon sun pierced the skin, it was just too hot for the body to bare. Many people walking on the streets cursed as they opened their umbrellas and continuously walked towards where they were going.

Two ladies, of the same age, went out of a posh building and into the sunlight. The one wearing a sunshiny yellow top looked up and sighed. The other girl cursed along like the other people passing them by, she was wearing an orange top and was positively irritated with the weather.

“I can’t believe I traveled miles to be burnt to death like in the place I left!” The girl in orange said as she stepped onto the sides of the building, her friend looked at her and opened her umbrella.

“Well, it’s hotter in Manila.” The girl in yellow said as she placed the umbrella on top of her friend’s head.

“I can’t believe even in Korea you’re bringing this Meg.” The girl in orange said smiling up at the umbrella and taking it from Meg’s hands.

Meg laughs, “Angel, it’s just not me without an umbrella you know.”

Angel shakes her head, “I know.” She looks at the sun through her sunglasses, its rays almost blinding her, “I swear I thought it’ll be a bit cold here in Korea. Andy always said it’s colder here than in Manila!” She said as she started walking away from the building.

Meg follows her and smiles, “Well, Andy’s right anyway. It is hotter in Manila. Especially now, its summer.”

Angel sighs, “I can’t take this anymore! I’m hailing a cab!” She said as she stuck out her hand and a cab immediately sped towards them.

Meg laughs at this. Manila or Korea, Angel would never change.

“Finally, cold air!” Angel said breathing in happily. She then turns to the cab driver and tells him where they were going.

Meg smiled at Angel, just for her beloved boyfriend, she learned Korean.

“Are you ready Meg?” Angel said as she looked at her friend excitedly.

Meg looks at her and smiles, “I guess.” She then turns toward the window and looks at the bright afternoon sun.

As if waves splashed the seashore, Meg felt flashes of memory wash over her.

~

“Meg, are you just sitting there? Are you not going to enjoy the afternoon sun? Come on join us!”

She was in Boracay 7 years ago. She was sitting underneath a coconut tree trying to shield herself from the sunlight. The wind smelled of the sea, its saltiness lingering, Meg could almost taste it.

Meg looked at her parents and shook her head, “Not now Ma, I’m burnt! I’ll join you later.” She said smiling up at her mom and dad.

Her parents resumed playing with her siblings.

She laughed and shook her head.

It’s always been fun to look at her family like this, always happily, always together.

She was left alone for a few minutes, out of the sun’s piercing glare, then quite suddenly, a ball flies towards her, hitting her head.

“OUCH!” Meg cried out loud, her parents and siblings continuously played volleyball, they were too engrossed with it that they haven’t noticed what happened to her.

Meg looked wildly around to see her culprit. A boy around the age of 17 was making his way towards her, his expression wary.

“Well?” Meg said irritated.

The boy grinned, “Umm..I’m sorry?”

“You should play somewhere else, or just avoid hitting anyone okay?” Meg said standing up, holding the part of her head which got hit by the ball.

“The place is not yours miss, you can sit somewhere else if you don’t want to be hit.” The boy said looking at her irritated all of a sudden.

What the? She’s even at fault now?!

“Well, just be careful.” Meg said not knowing what else to say.

The boy turned his back at her and stalked off.

“Rude. Definitely rude.” Meg said sitting on a hammock and resuming to watching her family again.

*

With the sun down, Meg and her family decides to take a walk to find somewhere to eat. Boracay looked so enticing at night, what with it’s beautiful lights, the lively bars and many people walking around, some still in their bathing suits, probably for night swimming, and some in their party outfits, ready to spend the night away wasted.

They choose a restaurant near Station 1, quite a few people were there and it was silent, except for the rush of the waves toward the seashore and the little chatter here and there.

“I’ll go wash my hands first mom.” Her little sister said standing up.

“Me too!” Her little brother said, standing up as well.

Meg’s parents laugh, “I think you better go with your siblings, they might get lost here.”

Meg smiles, nods and follows her siblings to the washing area. After she made sure that her siblings hands are all clean, she proceeded to do her own hand washing as well.

She takes the soap just as somebody takes it.

She looks up.

“Oh it’s you.” The boy said looking at her smiling now.

Meg just looked at him blankly.

“I was the one who accidentally threw the ball at yah.” The boy said making a gesture of something hitting his head.

Meg smiles in recognition, “Oh yeah.”

“I’m sorry about what I said a while ago. I was a bit pissed, what with the heat of the sun. It’s really hot here.” The boy said drying his hands now.

Meg smiles, “It’s okay. All I need was sorry anyway.” She proceeds to dry her hands as well.

“You eating out with your family?” The boy asked as they headed towards the tables.

Meg nods, “Yep, my family with me.”

The boy nods, “Oh, I’ll see you around then?” He said as he saw his companions waving at him.

Meg looked at his companions and smiles, “Yes I guess so.”

The boy turned to leave and then, “Wait, what’s your name?”

Meg looked at him and grins, “Meg.”

The boy grins, “See you around Meg!” he said waving.

“Wait! What’s yours?” Meg said calling out.

The boy stops and scratches his head, “Oh yeah. Eric. My name’s Eric.”

“See you around Eric!” Meg said waving to him.

*

“Hey Meg!”

It was mid-afternoon, everyone was playing underneath the scorching sun, people ran here and there, laughing and playing, splashing waters at each other. Meg opted yet again to sit underneath a shade of a coconut tree, afraid of being burnt. Her family was playing by the seashore, building sandcastles together.

Meg turned her head towards the voice a bit annoyed that her quiet time was disturbed by she-curses-whoever-this-could-be, however her expression was then replaced by a smile when she saw who it was.

“Eric.” She mutters smiling widely as the boy she met the other day went towards her holding a ball in his hands.

Eric was striding towards her, he had just taken a shower or a swim, Meg doesn’t know. He was wearing a white wifebeater and blue beach / Hawaiian shorts. Eric smiled as she approached her, “What are you doing?” He said as sat beside her and placed the ball on the ground beside him.

Meg pointed towards her parents and siblings playing by the seashore, “Watching them. I don’t want to play much. The sun is scorching hot.” She said pointing towards the sun.

Eric laughed at her gesture, “You’re so cute.” He stops and looks at her family for a moment and then back at her again, “Hey want to play volleyball?” He said smiling widely.

Meg rolled her eyes, “Haven’t I just told you I don’t want to play?” She said eyeing the ball a bit warily.

Eric chuckles at this, “Much. We’re not playing MUCH don’t worry. Say 20 minutes?” he said holding the ball, throwing it in the air and then catching it.

Meg looked at him and shook her head, “No really.”

Eric stops and pouts, “10 minutes?”

Meg laughs, “Now you’re acting cute.”

Eric stared at her continuously pouting.

Meg laughs, stands up and sighs, “Fine, 10 minutes.”

Eric grins widely and stands up immediately, almost jumping. He started to throw the ball and lets it bounce from his wrist. He winked at Meg as he did so.

Meg shakes her head at this. He’s such a charming boy.

How can she resist that wink?

Or that smile?

Meg cleared her thoughts and smiled at him, “You’re too excited. Where is your family anyway?” Meg said as she positioned herself a bit farther from Eric, shielding herself from the sun.

Eric pointed toward a couple of people playing at the seashore as well, “I got sick of the water.” Eric said shrugging, as if Meg was asking him why he wasn’t with his family and not where his family is.

Meg looked at a bunch of people splashing water at each other, some were just laying on their backs sunbathing, she nodded and shivered at the thought of hot sun on her , “Me too.”

Eric smiled at her gesture.

They started playing volleyball, Meg kept shielding herself from the sun and thus makes her lose the game over and over again. Eric laughed at this. They did not notice that their 10 minutes became 20 minutes, both of them obviously enjoying their game. They didn’t even notice the curious stares that their families are throwing at them. A few more minutes and both fell to the ground tired. They sat underneath the coconut tree again, their skins red from the sun.

“Ahh, I knew it!” Meg said holding her skin, “it’s so hot! I overdid playing!” She said laughing as she felt it underneath her palm.

Eric moved closer to her and laughed, “It’s fun though.” He said smiling widely as he placed the ball beside him again.

Meg nods gleefully, “Yeah.” She turned to look at her family, “Geez, they’re still swimming!” She said laughing and shaking her head.

Eric looked at them and laughed.

He rested his eyes on Meg and smiled.

Meg beamed at him.

“Meg!” Meg’s mom called from the seashore.

“What?” Meg turned her head towards the seashore and replied with her voice a bit too loud.

Her mom motioned for her to join them, Meg shook her head, looked at Eric and then back to her Mom, “No. So hot!” She said pointing towards the sun.

Eric chuckles while looking at her.

Meg ignores him, her cheeks burning.

Her dad signalled for her to join them, Meg rolls her eyes, “Geez.” She looked at Eric, trying to avoid his eyes and sighs, “I’m joining them. Want to join us?” She said beaming at the thought..

Eric blushes and shakes his head smiling, “No it’s okay. I’ll watch you from here. I’m leaving in a while anyway. Thanks for playing with me Meg!”

Meg smiles, although a bit disappointed, “Oh okay, I’ll see you around then Eric!”

Eric nods as Meg turns her back and runs toward her family, her hair bouncing in the wind, the afternoon sun creating a glow around her.

Meg turned and took one last glance at Eric. He looked beautiful underneath the coconut tree, his hair a bit windswept. She smiled at him widely.

He smiled back and waved at her.

She waved back and grinned.

~

“Meg?”

Meg turned towards the voice, her heart palpitating as if expecting an attack.

“Hey! What’s wrong with you?” Angel said looking at her half smiling half worried.

It was as if she was transported back in time. She was now 21 years old and sitting beside her friend Angel on a Korean cab. The air was hot still, but not as hot as what she felt when she first met him. The aircon was running, soon she felt the cold air enveloping her, she relaxed a bit.

Meg looked at her and clutched her heart, “No..nothing. I’m alright.”

Angel nods, although not thoroughly satisfied with her answer, she smiles, “We’re here!” She gestures towards the Mall on Meg’s side.

“Huh?” Meg said looking at her blankly.

Angel laughs, “I said we’re at the venue dork.” She turned Meg towards Meg’s window.

“Oh.’ Meg said looking outside the cab.

They were infront of a huge mall and lots of people were going in and out of it. Many of them were holding out umbrellas and like Angel, cursed at the afternoon sun. There was a huge banner on the mall’s wall, it wrote, “SHINHWA AUTOGRAPH SIGNING TODAY!” in huge orange letters. Meg gulps looks at Angel who was speaking in fast Korean and paying the driver.

“Kamsahamnida!” Angel said smiling at the driver as both of them went out of the cab and into the busy street. Meg followed her infront of the Mall, were a bunch of people were gathered shielding themselves away from the sun.

“Okay, I want to surprise Andy, so we won’t be calling him to ask where they are. Besides, I think we’d know since there’s a lot of –“ Angel stops her cheerful talk as a bunch of girls in orange ran towards the mall’s entrance.

Meg looks at them a bit shock and laughs.

“Well, we follow?” Angel said looking at Meg with an amused expression on her face while shaking her head and then laughing.

Meg chuckles and nods. Suddenly she felt a bit dizzy.

Maybe this is a bad idea. Meg thought to herself as she held unto Angel’s arm and clutching her umbrella in the other.

They followed the bunch of girls in orange inside the mall. It was a bad move. The girls went zigzagging towards some stops to buy some fandom stuff. It took them a while to go to the exact venue. Meg and Angel had to endure screaming, squealing and insane fandom talks before the girls decided to head towards the back exit of the mall.

Angel sees the girls going out of the mall and curses.

“Why in the afternoon sun?!” Angel said as they ventured towards the parking lot where a whole lot of girls wearing orange were gathered, screaming and chanting a loud.

Meg looks at her amuse and smiles at the whole lot gathered infront of them.

“Mun Jung Hyuk, Shin Hyesung, Lee Minwoo, Kim Dongwan, Junjin, Lee Sun Ho, Shinhwa Changjo!” The girls screamed over and over again.

Meg and Angel watched the girls as they screamed and screamed. They were so synchronized that it was amusing at first and then shocking a bit later. After a while they were asked by the security to form a line. Barricades were placed to make sure that the lines were arranged very well. There were 6 lines, one for each member. A few moments later, Shinhwa arrived.

A huge black vehicle, more like a van, made its way towards the parking lot. The girls screamed even louder, if that was possible. Angel covered her ears, but she was beaming. Meg’s sweat was dripping on her neck.

6 men went out of the car. All of them were gorgeous to say the least.

Minwoo was first. He was sitting on the front passenger seat. Then the huge doors opened and Hyesung came out, followed by Dongwan, then Junjin, then Andy and…

Meg’s heart stops. Her breathing heavy.

There he is.

“Eric!!! Oppa! Oppa! Eric!!!” The girl beside them said jumping up and down.

Angel grins at the look of Meg’s face, “There you go Meg.” She said patting her friend, who seemed to have fallen on a catatonic state at the sight of Shinhwa’s leader. She laughed at this and looked at Andy and beamed at the sight of him.

Meg nods at her and tried to smile. Her breathing was still heavy, she was fighting the urge to cry. If she wasn’t in control, she would’ve ran towards the boys and flung herself to Eric and cried so hard. But she can’t do that. No. She didn’t want their first meeting in 7 years to be wasted like that.

She wanted to see if the ‘magic’ was still there. As he claimed to have always existed…

“I have such a gorgeous boyfriend.” Angel said squealing beside her.

Meg looks at her and laughs despite what she was feeling right at that moment..

“Gawd, why is he wearing that shirt again?!” Angel said shaking her head noticing what Andy was wearing. She then opens her phone, “I’ve told him not to wear it, its too fitting!” She said as she punched madly at her mobile phone, “That idiot might’ve wanted girls to ogle at his abs or something! Hmmff.” She said as she continuously punched on her phone.

Meg turned towards the boys who were now sitting by a long table, in white monoblock chairs while their hands armed with Pentel Pens, ready to sign autographs. Eric was talking to Minwoo. Andy was checking his phone.

Eric got the microphone from one of their PAs and handed it over to Minwoo who took the microphone and greeted everyone, he introduced himself and passed the microphone around to the other members.

Eric looked happy, he was obviously in good spirits. He took the microphone from Minwoo.

“Annyeong Haseyo, Eric imnida…”

The wind breezes softly, there was a lingering smell with it. As if on cue, Meg closes her eyes and listens to him speak.

“Oh yeah. Eric. My name’s Eric.”

A tear falls down her cheek.

She saw him in her mind’s eye, he was waving at her.

“Oppa!!!” A girl screamed behind her.

Meg opens her eyes immediately and wipes her tears with her hands. She looks at Angel who was furiously punching keys on her mobile phone. She looks at everybody else, they were all going crazy.

Nobody noticed her.

Nobody did.

Meg sighs in relief and looks at Eric again. He has started signing autographs. Her line was moving already. Meg looked at Angel signaling her that she’s going to start walking now.

Angel looks at her and smiles, “Oh yeah! Goodluck!” She said waving at her, “I’ll wait by the benches!” She said pointing towards some benches by the parking lot, obviously prepared for this event.

Meg nods. She turned towards Eric again and gulped.

“So Meg…are you ready?” She muttered to herself a bit loud, a few girls looked at her as if she was crazy. Meg ignores this.

She clutched the 9th Album in her hands. Her fingers were turning white due to her extreme hold.

Her breathing hasn’t gone back to normal yet.

The line moved. Meg didn’t know if she should be thankful or pissed that Eric’s line was so long, she felt as if it was the shortest line she’s ever been on.

Who ever thought this would happen? Who ever thought he’d be this popular one day? Meg thought to herself.

Well Meg, you do know that he’s charming, seductive and—Meg’s thoughts trailed, memories flashed by her mind, she shook her head.

The line was moving too fast! Was Eric signing or just putting a dot on the CDs?! Meg thought furiously.

Maybe I shouldn’t do this. Meg said as she took a step backwards and stomped on somebody’s foot.

“Ouch! Watch it!” A girl who looked foreign said irritably. She looks at Meg in deepest disgust and resumed to screaming Eric’s name.

Meg rolls her eyes at this.

“Okay Meg, you are in trouble. Great. I shouldn’t even be here. Oh no, Oh no, Oh no.” Meg mutters to herself as Eric’s face came into a clear view. She was 3 persons away from him.

He was smiling gleefully at each single person he gives his autograph to. He looks at Andy every now and then and shakes his head trying hard not to laugh.

“He still has that smile…” Meg said achingly.

A few moments later she was standing right infront of him.

She bit her lip, closed her eyes and gave him her CD. Sweat was dripping down her neck she could feel it. And she knows it’s not even because of the sun.

It’s now or never.

~

“It’s insanely hot today.”

Eric turned towards Minwoo and smiled, “I know. But I’ve been to a place hotter than this believe me.” He said shielding himself from the sunlight as he did so.

A flashback of memory enveloped him.

A girl was shielding herself from the sunlight walking towards the sea.

She was waiting for him to throw the ball at her.

She was smiling and waving at him.

“Eric?” Minwoo said looking at him.

Eric clears his head. He felt like he was transported back in time. He was sure he heard the waves splash by and there was this lingering smell in the wind…what was that?

“Oh, we’re starting.” Dongwan said shaking his hands and then cracking his fingers, readying himself as he took the Pentel Pen infront of him and smiled at the crowd.

Andy’s phone beeps. He takes it from his pocket and laughs.

Eric ignores him. He takes the microphone from Minwoo’s PA and motions for Minwoo to start talking. Minwoo passed around the microphone so that they can all introduce themselves. Eric felt a bit elated to see the crowd for some reason. The line started moving.

“Your line’s nuts Hyung.” Andy said trying to ignore his phone which keeps on beeping. He had this grin on his face that Eric doesn’t know what the reason is.

Eric looked at his line, it was longer than the rest. It was most probably because he’s also promoting his movie these days. He looked at Andy and smiled. Andy beamed at him.

Eric tried hard not to laugh at their youngest member. He’s odd.

A few moments later his line thinned, he sighs in relief as he signed the last few autographs. His hand was aching now. Add to that his jaw muscles were hurting from too much smiling. Not that he minds one bit though.

He handed the CD back to the girl who jumps when he looks at her. He smiles and shakes the girl’s hand. A girl in yellow was next.

“What’s your name?” Eric said taking the CD immediately, his head bowed

“Meg. Meg Yap.” The girl infront of him said gently, her voice was quivering. It was utterly familiar…

Eric’s heart stops, it’s as if he was robbed out of breath and his system isn’t working anymore.

Slowly he looks up, afraid of what he is about to see.

His eyes beheld a pretty girl infront of him…but he wouldn’t be fooled, he knows this face so much he can draw it in a canvas if he only knew how to. She looked the same through all these years, except she’s all grown up, and the glow of her face is so bright it hurts his eyes. There’s a lump in his throat, he couldn’t move, nor speak.

“Eric?” Minwoo says nudging him. He have momentarily lost himself starring at her.

“Are you alright man?” Minwoo said looking worried.

“Ahh, yeah.” Eric said shaking his head, “M-Me-Meg? Meg right? Okay.” Eric said avoiding her eyes. God, to utter her name brings so much memories.

She nods a little disappointedly, ignoring Eric’s stuttering voice, “Yes, Meg.” She repeated.

She was looking at him avidly. Eric’s cheeks were burning. He was trying hard to look normal, his sweat was dripping down his neck..

“Here you go. Thank you for supporting us.” Eric said smiling widely now, not avoiding her eyes this time, he reaches out for her hand.

She looked at it, no, stared at it, then she took a deep breath, smiled and took his hand.

For a moment there it was as if everyone didn’t existed, they connected. But after a few seconds they let go. Everything went back to normal again, fans screamed here and there, the heat of the sun still piercing their skins…it was as if nothing changed in that nanosecond that they touched.

She left, but Eric’s heart was palpitating madly.

Surely he was dreaming?

He didn’t signed Meg’s CD right? That was another girl?

~

It was over.

She thought it was going to be so hard. He signed it and it was over.

For some reason she was glad. That was it. She’s never going to bother him again. She just wanted to see him that’s all.

It’s over.

She thought something flickered in his eyes, and his mouth twitched, but maybe she was just imagining it.

Yes she was imagining it. She thought convincing herself.

Meg moved forward and almost skip hopped her way towards Angel who is waiting for her near the exit doors. She was sitting with her phone on her hand, she had this devilish grin on her lips.

Angel waves, “How was it?” Angel said looking excited now, “I SMSed Andy, we’d be meeting them later!” She finished happily.

Meg blinks, “Are you kidding me?”

Angel shook her head vigorously, “No! It’s real. I told him we’re here and he said he wanted to see me and all and he wants you to meet everyone!” She said almost giggling.

So that’s why she was smiling devilishly. Meg thought her breathing heavy again. Sweat was dripping down her neck again.

“Well isn’t that something? You’re finally meeting Eric!” Angel said gleefully. Keeping her phone on her pocket now. She glanced at Andy and waved at him. He beamed. Eric looked at Andy weirdly. Minwoo laughs.

Meg blinks and looks at Eric who was now heading towards the van with the rest of the boys. The signing was over.

Angel laughs and shakes Meg, “Earth to Meg? Earth to Meg!”

Meg looked at Angel her eyes wide, “Angel?”

Angel continuously laughed, “It’s okay, you can thank me later.” She said dragging Meg out of the place.

Meg followed Angel out of the mall, “Eric…” Meg muttered to herself as she took one last look at Eric and sighs.

A tear escapes her eyes.

Is this destiny Eric?

Is this what you said, that we will meet and meet again and again until we fulfill that one promise?

Are we destined like you claimed we are?