Epilogue

Epilogue

"Flight OZ532 to London is now boarding on Gate 10C"

Minwoo looks up from his newspaper and checks his watch again, the third time that day. He glances towards the hallway just infront of the coffee shop he was sitting, nursing his second cup of coffee, whilst waiting for his flight, which to his exasperation, will not come till an hour from now. Sighing heavily, he takes a sip of his coffee and goes back to reading his newspaper. There was not much change in the news the past few days but, Minwoo wanted to know what was happening in the business world just the same, especially the stocks, since his company relies on them more than he'd like to admit.

Ah business, business, business.

That's all he's been thinking about lately.

Nothing much to think about, if people would ask him, in all honesty, life hasn't been anything but uneventful.

Just the usual.

The usual.

As Minwoo sighs once more over his thoughts, a quiet voice shakes his attention. He looks up from his reading and sees a girl smiling at him.

"Hi" she says, her voice gentle while she holds unto her bag, "is this seat taken?" she motions to the chair right infront of Minwoo.

Minwoo looks around the coffee shop, it was full, and only the seat infront of him was free. He looks back at the girl, nods and smiles.

The girl opens and takes of her shades, "Minwoo?" she says disbelievingly.

Taken a back, Minwoo looks at the girl closely and his breath in.

Kate.

"Kate." He says breathlessly, "Wow, hey." he says standing up from his seat.

She smiles widely, places her bag on the empty chair and spreads out her arms.

Minwoo smiles just as widely at this, the image was too familiar.

He walks towards her embrace and inhales her scent.

Deep.

She tightens the hug a little, "It's been a while." she whispers into his ears.

Closing his eyes he turns his head and whispers, "It has."

A few seconds later they break apart, Kate holds onto Minwoo's arms for a little while, looks straight into his eyes and smiles, eyes observing his face, she squeezes his arms and then let go.

Minwoo looks at her face as she did this, her eyes he remembers so well, sparkles in a way that was quite reminiscent of something he could never forget; her face bright, beautiful, as it always has been. His hands itch to reach out to touch her cheeks, glowing with color, radiant like he has always hoped it would be.

"Can I sit with you?" Kate asks taking her bag from the empty seat and smiling at Minwoo, eyes expecting.

Minwoo scratches his head a bit, almost shy and embarrassed, "Ofcourse." he says clearing up at table a little and moving his coffee cup to his side whilst taking the newspaper and folding it.

They both sit down and Minwoo fidgets a little on his seat, "How long has it been?" he asks, his voice quivering a little, he clears his throat and places the newspaper on his bag right beside his seat.

Kate fixes her hair; they were longer now, with locks near the end, "4? 5? Almost 5 years I think." She says laying her sunglasses, which was purple, Minwoo notes on his head, on the table.

"Oh, wow, it's really been a while." Minwoo says nodding his head.

Kate smiles nodding as well, as a waiter stand right next to them to lay down Kate's coffee.

Minwoo inhales the scent coming from Kate's cup and tries hard not to smile, "Dark roast?" he asks nonchalantly.

Kate perks up a little, a smile forming on her lips, "You remembered!" she says almost clapping her hands.

Minwoo nods.

But how can he forget?

Still smiling, Kate takes her cup with both hands, closes her eyes while she inhales the coffee's scent, blows a little over the top and takes a sip of it.

Against his will, Minwoo smiles at this. A little.

He notes there is no ring on any of Kate's fingers. On both hands.

He clenches his fist a little and lays it on the table, taking his coffee near him and gripping it a little.

Kate lays down her coffee and glances at his fingers.

He knows what she can see.

Or rather, what she cannot see.

And he knows she's wondering about it.

She looks up at him almost questioningly, and he smiles a little wider while bowing his head a little.

"So." Kate starts again, "how's it going Minwoo?" she says gently, her voice calculating.

Minwoo sighs, still smiling, "It has been..." he pauses, Kate's eyebrow raise a little, "normal." he finishes. Kate nods, a smile lingering on her lips. "You?" He asks cocking his head to the side, pursing his lips trying to hide a smile.

"Well..."Kate pauses and chuckles, "not that normal." she says almost laughing and then shaking her head, "I've been good. I'm actually on vacation today." she says taking another sip of her coffee.

Minwoo nods; his chest feels a little tight, he breathes in and takes a sip of his coffee too and almost choking on it. He coughs a little and wipes his mouth with a tissue on the table.

Kate looks at him worriedly, "Are you okay Minwoo?" she asks reaching out to touch his arm.

Minwoo looks at it smiling; the warmth feels so familiar in his skin. He looks up at Kate and smiles, "I'm okay, just a bit worn out I think."

Kate nods, "You work too much." she says patting his arm and then taking another sip of her coffee. Minwoo nods at this, "It can't be helped." he says almost chuckling.

Kate laughs at this, whilst shaking her head. She places her hand on her nape, a smile playing on her lips as she looks at Minwoo again. Her eyes searching his face for something he couldn't quite fathom. He smiles at her, trying to decipher whatever she was looking for. She sighs and bows her head a little.

"So, where are you headed today?" She asks after a few minutes of silence.

Minwoo shrugs, "Vacation too I guess.".

Kate nods, noting the pout forming on Minwoo's lips and shakes her head because of it.

"FLIGHT MK519 to Tokyo will be boarding at Gate 10A in 30 minutes."

"FLIGHT KM705 to San Francisco will be boarding at Gate 9E in 15 minutes."

Both Minwoo and Kate look up from their seat and then back at each other at these announcements, "That's my flight." they say in unison.

Laughing together, they both stand up from their seat and look at each other. Kate bites her lower lip, eyes foreshadowing sadness; she spreads her arms wide again.

Minwoo nods and takes the embrace, one more time.

Closing his eyes, he inhales the scent he could never forget and feels the softness and realness that is Kate in his arms.

He runs his hand on her hair, noting the locks feel nice on his palms and how for the first time in 5 years, everything now felt so...real.

Kate's hand runs through his hair, ruffling it a little on his nape; her breathe warm against his skin.

After what seems like an hour, they break away.

Slowly.

Both hands sliding down on each others arms, and ending into each other's palms.

Minwoo looks straight into Kate's eyes; searching, for something he knows not. Yet.

She smiles; that familiar smile again. One he was sure he knows what for, but somehow couldn't quite put...

Several people pass by them heading towards their gates. Minwoo and Kate take a look at each other again, and squeeze each other's hands.

They  let go.

Kate picks up her bag, waves Minwoo goodbye and turns toward her gate. Wherever it was. He forgot to ask. But then again, he wasn't sure he had the right to know.

He looks at her back, noting the purple trench coat, the purple bag, the purple shoes....Minwoo shakes his head smiling to himself and then turns around to leave, with his bag tightly gripped on his hand.

A few steps away from his gate, he stops.

Closes his eyes and then inhales deeply.

Opening his eyes suddenly, Minwoo turns his heels again and goes back to the coffee shop. His heart beating fast on his chest, following the rhythm of his feet.

He stops on his tracks.

He bites his lower lip.

Kate was looking at him, her hand clutched tight on her purple shades. Her eyes questioning... searching...

It's strawberry shortcake day!

Minwoo's hand goes into his pockets, and takes out his phone.

It's strawberry shortcake day!

He looks up.

A single tear runs down Kate's cheeks.

And then another.

And another.

Then she laughs, more tears spilling down her face as she did so.

Minwoo's eyes fills with tears as he lifts his hand into his chest.

Kate, still laughing, does the same.

He smiles.

And recalls what her smile meant before.

She heaves a deep breath and walks towards Minwoo, while shaking her head.

Minwoo reaches out to her face and wipes the tears there.

She does the same for him.

Both of them laughs at this.

"You know..." Kate says sniffing a little, "there's a really great strawberry shortcake shop in Tokyo."

Minwoo laughs, tears spilling on his eyes again, "Really?"

Kate nods, wiping the tears on Minwoo's face again, "Let's go?"

He smiles, takes both of her hands and pulls her gently towards him.

She looks up, face tearful.

He plants a soft kiss on her lips.

She smiles at he does this, and returns the kiss, squeezing his hands tight as she did so.

And in that very moment, while everyone walks, runs, going about their usual lives around them…it felt like the years melted away…

Slowly.

Gently.

Time stopped, even for just that moment.

And then.

The present.

It's strawberry shortcake day!

Kate slowly pulls away from Minwoo and looks straight into his eyes, smiling. He touches her face and kisses her forehead.

"So, Tokyo?" Minwoo says after a few seconds, gripping Kate's hand with his.

She nods.

"You know, I have a similar trench coat in my bag right now." Minwoo says trying hard not to laugh.

Kate opens and hits his shoulders, "You're kidding!"

He shakes his head, smiling widely.

Kate's tinkling laugh sounded through the airport halls.

And into Minwoo's heart.

As it always has been.

Never changing.

Even if time did.

Today, there are no goodbyes.

No more sadness.

Just love.

As always.

Always.