One

Call One Wolf, Invite the Pack

Junmyeon’s territory was made up by the districts south of the Han River. Yifan’s territory was on the north, and there was a very clear line separating them; an entire river, as a matter of fact. Which begs the questions: why can Junmyeon sense Yifan by the border? He was not quite grazing his district but he certainly was close enough for Junmyeon to feel uncomfortable, threatened even. 

The last time Junmyeon had been in Yifan’s territory was during a school trip in the seventh grade to Dongdaemun, and his pack had spent the entire time huddled together, Yifan’s boys with their eyes on them like hawks.

Junmyeon ran faster through the woods until he skidded to a halt at the tree line. Yifan was standing there in his human form, hands shoved in his jean pockets. Junmyeon knew Yifan since they were kids, because when there is more than one pack in the same city, it is better to have a somewhat friendly relationship.

“Relax,” Yifan said, “I’m here in peace, so you can stop growling at me.”

Junmyeon shifted around, branches crushing under his paws. He stared at Yifan with no intention to shift back.

Yifan sighed, “Fine. I am here because Lu Han, my beta, spotted some hunters during his patrol last night. They didn’t see him, but we are sure they are onto us. We are the only packs in the city, so I figured I’d let you know. I’m sure you’d do the same for us.”

There was sarcasm in his voice, as if he didn’t think Junmyeon would have warned him. There was some truth to it; but to be honest, Junmyeon was surprised Yifan was there, telling him about the threat. He felt sort of bad, but quickly pushed it down. 

“Anyway, I’m leaving now.” And with that, Yifan turned around and walked away.

-

All of his pack members hated patrol duty. It was tiring, it was boring, and it took time away from doing things all teenagers had to do: eat, do their homework, sleep, and repeat. But they had a responsibility, so that night Junmyeon set out with Baekhyun in wolf form into the city, sticking to the shadows.  It was only once a week, anyway.

The omega was quiet most of the time, trudging behind Junmyeon with careful steps so they weren’t seen or heard by anyone. Junmyeon was debating with himself whether to tell his pack about the hunters or not; he didn’t want to scare them, but he also wanted them to be careful. 

Baekhyun picked up on his mood pretty easily, especially after Junmyeon snarled at him for tripping over a dumpster as they moved from one alley to the other. Baekhyun curled in on himself after that, tail between his legs and ears dropped to his head. Junmyeon tried really hard to ignore him, but when he heard the whimpering he felt a tug at his heart and shifted back to his human form.  

They were on their way back to the pack house, hidden by the trees. Baekhyun shifted, too, and Junmyeon wasted no time enveloping him in a hug. Despite being practically the same height, Junmyeon was awarded with the built that came with being an alpha, and Baekhyun’s tiny omega body fit perfectly in his arms. 

“I’m sorry,” Junmyeon apologized into Baekhyun’s hair, “I shouldn’t have snapped at you, I’m just worried about something.” Baekhyun had his face buried in the crook of his neck, but managed to say, “Its ok. I’m just really sensitive because of the full moon.”

Junmyeon had completely forgotten about the full moon; it was scheduled for next week. He patted Baekhyun in the bum affectionately and slung an arm around his neck, guiding them back to the house. 

Their clothes were right where they had left them, sitting on a boulder by the edge of the forest. The pack house was located right at the entrance, a big old country house with two floors and a kitchen with enough room to store all the food they consumed. 

Even before they stepped through the threshold, Junmyeon could hear them talking and laughing in the kitchen, the smell of Kyungsoo’s breakfast wafting through the air and into their nostrils. Baekhyun slumped against him on their way in, his stomach grumbled loudly and he whined, “Why does it have to be Friday? I wanna sleep all day.”

Junmyeon heard Chanyeol before he saw him, the lanky boy sliding into view, saying, “I can take notes for the both of us, if you want,” as he took his best friend away. Junmyeon dragged his feet towards the kitchen and sat down next to Minseok with a sigh. 

His beta slid a plate his way; bacon, eggs, toast, pancakes, everything a growing wolf needs to be strong and healthy. Junmyeon didn’t have time to say anything, shoving food down his throat, and swallowed the last bite before saying, “Thanks, hyung.”

Minseok smiled at him, adorable gums in display as he said, “Chanyeol is right; you two should stay home today, we’ll lend you our notes.”

Kyungsoo was already in his school uniform, blazer in disarray as he struggled with Jongdae to let go of his tie. The two were always roughhousing around, the tiny omega manhandling the mouthy beta into a headlock and successfully snatching his tie back.

Chanyeol, the only other alpha in their pack of six, had one hand on Baekhyun’s hip and another on his backpack, sweet talking the older boy into staying home that day; insisting he and Jongdae could just pay extra attention in class and then report back to him. Junmyeon knew Minseok would write down everything said in class and would let him know if anything exciting happened that day, so he didn’t worry.

“Baek, maybe they’re right,” Junmyeon said, “We were on patrol all night, we could use the sleep.”

Baekhyun sighed but nodded, not being the biggest fan of skipping school. Chanyeol cheered and threw the boy on the couch, covering him up with a thin blanket as he said, “Goodnight, Baekkie!”

Baekhyun grumbled something about not being a baby but snuggled into the blanket and started snoring almost immediately. Kyungsoo waved goodbye at Junmyeon as he left through the door, Jongdae and Chanyeol in tow. 

“Well, I hope you actually sleep,” Minseok said, “Instead of baby Baekhyun all day and exhaust yourself to death.”

Baekhyun made a sound of protest but didn’t open his eyes. Junmyeon scowled at his best friend and pushed him away with a hand on his face. Minseok laughed merrily as he skipped away, messenger bag slung over his shoulder. After that, it was silent in the house, interrupted only by Baekhyun’s soft snoring and yelps. Junmyeon thought he was adorable.

Junmyeon went upstairs to his room, took off his clothes and was asleep before his head hit the pillow.

-

It was a little past noon when Junmyeon heard Baekhyun calling for him downstairs. Junmyeon leaped out of bed when he sensed the distress in his pack member’s voice and was in the living room in a flash, still in his underwear as he looked around to find the omega standing alone by the kitchen window, the one that faced their driveway.

“Hyung, look,” Baekhyun said, pointing outside. Junmyeon moved to stand next to him and watched; Yifan was parking his car by the fence, but this time he was accompanied by one of his betas, Jongin. 

“Wait here,” Junmyeon grumbled and was about to walk out when Baekhyun stopped him with a pointed look at his body. “Ok, you go, I’ll be right outside.” Junmyeon raced upstairs, threw on the first clothes he could find and was out the door in a flash. 

“Whatever it is you have to say, you can say it to me,” Baekhyun was saying stubbornly, arms crossed across his chest. Yifan looked past him to Junmyeon with a scowl and said, “Well, it’s about time. Your little omega here wouldn’t let us in.”

Baekhyun growled at the ‘little omega’ but Junmyeon stood in front of him and said, “What is it, Yifan?”

“One of my boys was attacked this morning, Sehun,” Yifan said, and Junmyeon noticed how Jongin stiffened, “He was on his way to school when two hunters jumped him; they left him for dead. He practically is, anyway.”

A look of worry clouded Yifan’s features. Junmyeon felt bad for him. Sehun was his sole omega, and the youngest in his pack.

“Wait, hunters?” Baekhyun asked. Damn, Junmyeon had forgotten he was there. “There are hunters in town?”

Yifan looked at Junmyeon incredulously, “You didn’t tell them?”

“I was going to do it tonight, with all of us in the house,” Junmyeon grumbled, feeling guilty. It could have easily been one of his boys.

“Since when have you known?” there was an accusatory tone in Baekhyun’s voice, one Junmyeon didn’t like in the slightest. 

“Yesterday, Baekhyun, right before our patrol,” Junmyeon snapped.

“Look, now isn’t the time for pack fights,” Jongin spoke up, exasperated, “Right now, we need to focus on these damn hunters. They seem to be moving towards your territory.”

“What?” Junmyeon asked.

“I had my best tracker, Yixing; follow their scent after we got Sehun to a hospital. He trailed them all the way to the edge of your territory. He would have continued, but he figured it was better not to anger you.”

Baekhyun looked like he’d been slapped across the face, pale as a sheet, and Junmyeon could feel his motherly side rise to the surface. Baekhyun’s old pack had been slaughtered by hunters when he was little, only nine years old; he barely managed to make it across the border, stumbling into Junmyeon’s backyard bleeding and limping. Even at the age of ten, Junmyeon had been elected by the elders to lead the next pack, and Junmyeon had made the executive decision right then that this tiny being in his porch would be a part of it.

“Junmyeon, may I speak with you in private?”  Yifan asked with a pointed look towards the house. Junmyeon sighed, but nodded anyway.

Yifan looked around wearily, as if expecting Chanyeol or someone else to show up out of nowhere and jump him. Junmyeon almost snorted at the thought; Yifan was huge, and probably hard to beat. Maybe Chanyeol could win him over in a fight, but that was all the threat Yifan might find in the house; except maybe Kyungsoo or Baekhyun when angry.

“So,” Junmyeon clapped, “What did you want to talk about?”

Yifan startled, but quickly regained his composure and said, “I have a proposition for you,” there was wariness in his voice, “One of my boys was already attacked, and there is no doubt they’ll go after yours next.”

It was true, but it still didn’t settle well with Junmyeon; just the thought of one of his pack members getting hurt…

“I’d like to propose a truce,” Yifan said, “I know we already have some sort of agreement not to snap at each other, but I think…” he stopped, took a deep breath like it hurt to say it, “I think it’s best if we form some sort of alliance?”

Junmyeon raised an eyebrow, “Are you saying you need our help?”

“I’m offering,” Yifan stressed, “To help you guys, if you help us.”

Junmyeon thought about it, then said, “Let me talk to the guys, see what they have to say, and I’ll let you know.”

Yifan didn’t look the last bit surprised at Junmyeon’s reluctance to make any decision without his pack. Yifan was the same.

“Alright,” he said, “We’ll be leaving now.”

After they were gone, Jongin waving shyly as they drove away, Baekhyun immediately jumped on him.

“Hyung, why didn’t you tell me?” Baekhyun was livid, but the hurt in his voice was so evident Junmyeon felt ten times more terrible than he would have if Baekhyun had just been angry.

“I didn’t mean to keep it secret,” Junmyeon sighed, “I just didn’t know how to say it. I didn’t want to freak you out.”

Junmyeon knew it was a terrible excuse, and Baekhyun seemed to think so too, because he scoffed and walked away. There was a door slamming shut upstairs and Junmyeon was left alone with his thoughts.

-

Junmyeon knew that as soon as the others got home, they would be bombarding him with questions about Sehun and the hunters. Gossip spread like wildfire in their school and news would most likely reach their ears.

He was right.

“Hyung!” the front door slammed open and Chanyeol’s deep voice boomed around the house. 

“I’m in the kitchen,” Junmyeon called. In a flash, there were four boys surrounding him; Baekhyun still hadn’t left his room.

“Hyung, what’s going on?” Jongdae asked worriedly.

“We heard Oh Sehun was in the hospital,” Kyungsoo said. 

“Where’s Baekhyun?” Expectedly, Chanyeol was more worried about the mental state of his best friend than about anything else. 

“He’s in his room, you might wanna check up on him,” Chanyeol was gone before Junmyeon finished talking.

“Jun,” Minseok said softly, always the voice of reason in Junmyeon’s life, 
“Why don’t you tell us what’s going on? Calmly, ok?”

Junmyeon sighed, “Yesterday, Yifan told me Lu Han saw a group of hunters in their territory. He warned me about them, and the only reason I didn’t tell you about it is because I didn’t know how.”

Jongdae looked like he wanted to say something at that but kept his mouth shut, which was a first for him.

“And then this morning, Yifan came by to tell us about Sehun, how Yixing followed their trail all the way to our territory,” the silence in the room was enough to suffocate him, but he pushed on, “He also wanted to offer a truce, a sort of alliance until we got rid of the hunters.”

“What did you say?” Kyungsoo asked in a small voice.

“I told him I would ask you guys,” Junmyeon said, “I’m not going to do anything you guys don’t want.”

Minseok sighed, “I think it’s a good idea; both packs are small, but we can help each other out.”

The other two nodded their agreement, Jongdae not so enthusiastically. 

“You should ask Chanyeol and Baekhyun too,” Kyungsoo suggested. Junmyeon knew he was right, even if he didn’t want to face the omega at the moment. 

The first thing he noticed when he opened the door to Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s room was that the curtains were shut and all the lights in the room were off, making it difficult for him to see. When his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he noted there was a lump underneath the blankets in Baekhyun’s bed and Chanyeol was sitting next to it, one hand rubbing up and down what Junmyeon guessed was Baekhyun’s back.

“Hey,” he said softly. Chanyeol looked at him with something akin to guilt, but Baekhyun didn’t move.

“Guys, I need to tell you something.”

Baekhyun still didn’t move, but Junmyeon knew he was listening. “Yifan offered to help us with the hunters, if we help them too. The other boys agree, but I have to know what you think.”

Chanyeol nodded, not taking his hand off Baekhyun. Then the lump said, “Whatever,” and Junmyeon’s heart broke into a thousand pieces because his voice sounded wrecked, like he’d been crying. He’d probably been crying since he locked himself in his room earlier in the day.

Junmyeon watched Baekhyun snuggle closer to Chanyeol and took that as his cue to leave. 

-

It’s not like Junmyeon hadn’t noticed it before; living with five other boys under the same roof, it wasn’t hard to find out everything they did at any hour of the day. He knew everything, from Minseok and Kyungsoo’s awkward crushes on each other, to Jongdae having a thing for annoying Kyungsoo in the dead of night only to be hit by his roommate after ten minutes of incessant “Hey Soo, Soo, hey. Hey Soo, Soo, hey.” 

He also knew – they all did, really – that something was going on between Baekhyun and Chanyeol. It was obvious in the way Chanyeol was always touching the omega, one way or another; an arm around his waist, a hand on his thigh whenever they sat down next to each other, fingers locked when they thought no one was looking.

It was obvious in the way sometimes Junmyeon would go into their room to look for dirty laundry and find one bed messy and the other perfectly made, even when it was still the crack of dawn and no one in their right mind would have made their bed so early.

It was even more obvious in the way they would disappear together during full moons after the hunt, and Baekhyun would walk with a suspicious limp for a few days after that.

Jongdae liked to tease them about it, in his not-so-subtle way. Minseok sometimes gave those knowing looks of his that they hated and even Kyungsoo would stare pointedly until they got the hint.

But it was one thing to know about it, and a whole different thing to see it.

Junmyeon hadn’t meant to walk in on them. It was Monday morning, way too early for his mind to function properly, and Junmyeon had only been on his way to the kitchen while daydreaming about coffee. He’d heard a thud coming from the bathroom and, being the oh-so-nice alpha he was, he’d decided to check it out; perhaps someone was hurt! Maybe they slipped in the shower or something.

Of course, that wasn’t the case, and Junmyeon opened the door only to be met with Chanyeol a very Baekhyun by the sink. For a horrifying second, Junmyeon couldn’t take his eyes off the omega, pretty lips parted and brow furrowed as he whimpered, a flush that started from his cheeks and ran down all the way to his-

But then Chanyeol turned to look at him with terrified eyes and Junmyeon shrieked in a very manly way, shouted an apology and slammed the door, not even bothering to check if it was closed before darting downstairs and into Minseok’s arms, his hyung stumbling at the added weight.

“Um, Jun?” Minseok asked slowly, “Are you ok?”

“I saw something horrible,” Junmyeon whispered. He could feel Minseok laughing. “What’s so funny?”

“Joon, we’ve all ran into them at one point or another,” Junmyeon froze, “I once saw Baekhyun going down on Chanyeol in the bathroom at school. Jongdae has seen them go all the way on the couch. I threw those cushions out, if it makes you feel any better.” It didn’t. 

An awful thought struck Junmyeon. “Kyungsoo?”

“Just making out, nothing too gross.”

Junmyeon wanted to argue, say that making out was gross, but at least his sweet omega hadn’t seen anything too bad. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were practically his babies, and he saw it as his duty to maintain their innocence. It didn’t settle well with him, knowing one had seen the other kissing. It didn’t settle well with him to know one of them was getting ed on the regular by an alpha, either. 

They heard Jongdae laughing upstairs and a door being shut closed, followed by even more laughter as the beta walked downstairs.

“I wouldn’t go into the bathroom if I were you,” Jongdae chuckled. Junmyeon shivered while Minseok said, “You’re a little late, but thanks.”

Jongdae made a choking sound as he tried to swallow his toast through his laughter. Junmyeon moved away from Minseok’s arms and sat down at the table, feeling like he’d aged twenty years in only five minutes. Kyungsoo looked at him funny when he walked in, but thankfully didn’t say anything as he grabbed his own breakfast and sat down. 

-

Junmyeon walked into his first period class as slowly as he could, if only to annoy Minseok a little. The beta growled as he pushed past him, making Junmyeon smile. Monday morning they had trigonometry first thing, and Junmyeon decided to catch up on some much needed sleep; he knew their teacher would arrive late, hand out three worksheets that no one would finish on time and let them turn their work in some other day, probably Wednesday. 

Junmyeon settled on his seat, backpack at his feet. Bae Joohae, the girl who sat in front of him, gave him a smile as she arranged her things. Junmyeon smiled back, but that was as far as their interactions usually got. A shame, really; she was undoubtedly pretty.

As he predicted, their prof walked in at fifteen past eight, when their class was supposed to start at seven thirty and end at nine am. Junmyeon took the four worksheets without complaints, raised an eyebrow at the extra effort he’d have to do, and stared at the instructions even as some of his classmates grumbled. One in particular, Kim Sohyun, stood up to protest in that annoying way of hers where no one was sure what she was saying; it was like she couldn’t string a sentence together without sputtering nonsense.

Junmyeon and Minseok shared a long-suffering glance before promptly falling asleep on their desks.

At nine, their World History prof walked in with their tests in hand but refused to tell them their scores until the end of the class, which was unfair. Junmyeon was forced to deal with the suspense, only to relax when their prod told him he got perfect marks and to stop looking so constipated. 

Afterwards, during Chemistry, Minseok moved to sit next to him so they could work on their textbook problems together. And then finally, finally, it was lunchtime and Junmyeon nearly tripped over himself in his haste to get to the cafeteria, Minseok hot on his heels.

They met up with the rest of their pack at their usual table. Chanyeol was in some sort of competition with Jongdae while Baekhyun recorded them and laughed obnoxiously, Kyungsoo looking on with boredom. Junmyeon found it halfway endearing and halfway gross how happy Minseok got when he caught sight of the small omega.

Their table was always the loudest in the building, and how could it not be when they had Byun Baekhyun, Kim Jongdae and Park Chanyeol sitting there? Hell, Baekhyun was loud even when he was asleep. So Junmyeon was used to having people stare at them, which is why he looked up when he noticed everyone, was looking at the front entrance of the cafeteria.

Junmyeon turned around to see what was so interesting and gasped at the sight of Oh Sehun, beaten up but still smiling walking in, Lu Han leading him by the arm. Lu Han was a senior part of Yifan’s pack and as far as Junmyeon knew, he and Sehun had been inseparable since birth. 

“Damn,” Jongdae whispered, taking in the sight of ugly bruises in the wolf’s body.

“Baek, are you ok?” Minseok asked worriedly. Baekhyun had gone white as a sheet, and his eyes were glossed over.

“I–” he croaked out, “I gotta go, see you guys later.” With that, he was racing out of the cafeteria as fast as his legs would let him without running. Chanyeol stared at his retreating figure with worry until Kyungsoo kicked him sharply and hissed at him to go after the omega. Chanyeol nearly tripped over his own feet as he complied.

Junmyeon met eyes with Yifan across the cafeteria; the other alpha had a protective arm around Sehun, but his eyes were trained on Junmyeon’s pack. Junmyeon hated the fact that he recognized that look. 

-

That night, Junmyeon called Yifan to let him know he would be crossing over to his territory, left Minseok in charge of the pack and headed out. He took a car, because the idea of having to walk or jog that distance was dreadful. He was met with Huang Zitao right in the border; the tall boy was leaning on a motorcycle and was staring at his shoes. Junmyeon parked the car behind him and turned off the ignition before getting out.

“Hello, Zitao,” Junmyeon greeted him with a smile. He liked the kid, he was very sweet. 

“Junmyeon hyung,   I was waiting for you,” he said, smiling cutely at him, “Yifan ge said you should follow me back to the house.”

“Lead the way, then.”

Zitao climbed his motorcycle and Junmyeon got back on the car, following closely. Zitao made sure to stay on sight and Junmyeon was grateful for that; he didn’t usually come to this side of the Han River and he wasn’t very familiar with the streets.

Zitao led him to a big, upscale building surrounded by more upscale buildings. They went around the side to the parking area where Zitao pressed his finger to an electronical pad and the door opened. 

They took the elevator to the penthouse where the pack lived. Junmyeon was assaulted with so many different scents he almost got lightheaded; Zitao strolled right ahead, but Junmyeon took his time wandering in, a survival instinct he would never shake off. Yifan rounded the corner, most likely smelt him, and motioned for Junmyeon to follow him.

They walked into an office, much like the one Junmyeon had back home. The humans didn’t know about them, but certain government agencies did and kept them on such tight leash, they had to justify every little thing. 

“So you’ve thought about it?” Yifan asked.

“Well, hello to you too,” Junmyeon scoffed, “Yes, I have. I guess you’re right, we should help each other. But we should probably establish some ground rules first.”

Yifan waved a hand in the general direction of the chairs located in a corner before plopping down on one, Junmyeon following his lead. There is a fireplace on the opposite side of the room, unlit, obviously for colder times. Junmyeon thought back to the times when he was being tested as an alpha, only ten years old and released into the wilderness in the middle of winter with a handful of wolves and the task of keeping them alive for five days. Chanyeol nearly lost a finger due to the cold, but otherwise it went great.

“First of all, absolute no meddling with the other’s pack,” Junmyeon stated firmly, “That means you can’t continue giving me condescending looks or try to do my job as their alpha.”

“Fair enough,” Yifan conceded, “Anything else?”

Junmyeon pondered for a moment. “No, I think that’s it. What about you?”

“I don’t think so.”

Yifan stood up and shook hands with Junmyeon.

-

Once Junmyeon was back at the pack house, he found Jongdae loitering around the kitchen, eating ice cream straight out of the container. Junmyeon gave him a disapproving look that lasted about two seconds before he was grabbing the spoon from him and digging in.

“Look at you, alpha,” Jongdae laughed, “Breaking your own rules?”

It was true that Junmyeon had told them not to leave their saliva all over the food and drinks. But he really didn’t give a at the moment. 

 “It’s not like it’s the first time you and I share things, Jongdae yah,” Junmyeon said tiredly. Jongdae gave him a lewd once over that sent shivers down Junmyeon’s spine, but quickly cracked into a grin.

“You’re absolutely right, alpha,” Jongdae said, “As usual.”

The way Jongdae said ‘alpha’ had Junmyeon’s insides twisting. Like everything Jongdae said or did, it was playful on the outside, but hid an under layer of challenge. A challenge that Junmyeon had taken multiple times before.

He didn’t that night, though. Junmyeon knew what Jongdae was after, knew why the beta had stayed up so late waiting for him, but the alpha was too tired to even think about entertaining him. He did, however, let Jongdae curl into his side once in bed, and didn’t fall asleep until the younger boy was snoring softly against his neck.