beautiful you

Beautiful
 

It's one of those days, unlike the rest of the days which passing by mercilessly as time flies, when suddenly faith starts to bear a fruitful outcome for those who have a complete trust in someone. And she is one of them. Never come across her mind that the day will come.

 

–it's a beautiful life

memories that resemble you

remain with me

your memories, your recollections

it's a sorrowful life

sorrowful day

 

The lyrics from Beautiful by Crush sweetly whisper into her ears through a pair of earphones. With the brightening sun above her head but hiding behind the rooftop of the train station contradictingly adds a melancholic feeling while the song plays only to her hearing. The sky paints in a soft color palette of various types of blues. It is a perfect weather that embodies positivity and happiness but she doesn't know how logical it is for her to feel pensively sad without a reason.

She brings her melancholic self to walk in to the carriage when the doors open.

Maybe, there are some parts of the lyrics that she can relate –

 

'memories that resemble you remain with me'

 

– just like how the far spot in the carriage reminds her of the girl who used to stand there every sun-setting evening.

– just like the moment where they both wait for the train to come and add a soundful white noise at their eerily quiet station.

– just like at times, the girl will be peacefully calm yet bright to the strangers in the carriage, but some other times the girl will be completely introvert as she puts a sad expression on her beautiful face.

 

She can read the girl like an open book, maybe because the girl let her to. She somehow knows the girl is genuinely nice and kind by observing her every time she commutes back to her rented apartment from their university. Weeks after weeks, months after months of observation, she became aware of her attachment towards the girl named Lee Mijoo. She doesn't have a clue on how and why she feels attached towards Mijoo, but maybe seeing the girl is enough of a reason.

How she wishes that she could reverse the time and make everything possible again between the two of them. "If only…" is not something she wants to come up with as an excuse because the blame is obviously on her. For pushing Mijoo away even when she acknowledged the feelings were mutual. For keeping a blind eye over Mijoo's effort to reach out to her whenever she felt downhearted and blue. For taking advantage of Mijoo's forgiving and honest personality.

Crush's sweet voice keeps whispering to her as she sets the song on repeat. The beautifully written lyrics grow the guilt gradually inside of her. Even so, she doesn't let herself crumbled, especially not in the public eye. She picks herself up as she walks out of the carriage with a few tubes of blueprints in her arms and tears dangerously at the corners of her eyes.

It was out of curiosity when she decided to listen to the original soundtrack from a very popular drama everyone has been talking about. She didn't realized how much of the soundtrack can make her to this state of weeping. She thought that she was strong, but she knows that every memory she has is related to Mijoo – most of it, makes her weak on her knees.

She is the worst person alive at the very moment. She doesn't deserve Mijoo to love her as Mijoo deserves someone better, greater than her who can love Mijoo more than she does. But it seems impossible, because she loves every single part of a person named Lee Mijoo. She doubts someone out there will love Mijoo as much as she does even though she doesn't show and express it. And how she wishes the girl would come back into her life easily like how she did back then.

 

But of course when it really happened, she was shocked, surprised – list the synonyms to the word because even the sums of it is by far not accurately enough to describe what she really felt.

"Mijoo?" She broke the silence and distance between her and the mentioned girl's standing spot in front of her apartment's door.

"Soul-ie?" Mijoo replied, somehow magically loud enough for her to hear over the song she's been listening to. The voice I that miss so much. Soojung pulls out the earphones from her ears as her eyes fixed on the taller girl who's now have a sun-kissed blonde hair instead of shining black under the moonlight. Not a single word comes out from Soojung as she takes her time to appreciate the girl's presence before her eyes because reality can't be this easy, right?

It feels like there is a divine force from the above finally makes her yearning come true after hopelessly praying for Mijoo's existence.

Mijoo also doesn't utter a word as she musters the courage to close the gap until she stands in front of Soojung. Nothing really changes for the past three years other than Mijoo's blonde hair and Soojung's short hair when Soojung is still a few centimeters smaller than Mijoo. Back then, Mijoo will always take pleasure in teasing Soojung about their height difference, but at the moment, Mijoo's eyes filled with nothing but tears.

Even before Soojung can reach to wipe away the rolling tears on her cheek, Mijoo embraces her into a bone-crushing hug. The tubes of blueprints in Soojung's arms dramatically fall on the floor as she returns Mijoo's hug tightly. It was meant to be Soojung's secret haven since the very beginning as her head finds it home in between Mijoo's shoulder and neck.

I miss you, Mijoo.

"I miss you, Soul-ie."

Soojung suddenly becomes still and frozen on her spot because did I just say that out loud? but then she can hear how broken Mijoo sounds with tears dampening Soojung's neck.

"Mijoo – " Soojung tried to break the awfully painful hug but Mijoo didn't let her.

"Soul-ie, I'm really sorry for leaving you. It was really bad of me to just go without telling when the fight we had last time was still unresolved. I – "

"Mijoo, listen to me." Soojung had to use a gentle force to push Mijoo away from her and her hands didn't leave Mijoo's side. "Let's go inside first, then we talk." It's amazing how Soojung managed to keep her composure calm and collected despite her chaotic feeling on the inside.

"S-sorry." Mijoo stuttered and Soojung smiled gladly to see this side of Mijoo again.

"Did you not meet your family first?" Soojung asked; referring to the two suitcases placed next to the apartment's door.

"They're not in Chungcheongbuk for a month. Mind if I crash your place?"

"Since when did you learn to ask, Mijoo? You never did before." Soojung turned the knob of the unlocked door and picked up the tubes where she left. Mijoo, on the other hand, pulled her suitcases inside of the entryway with a laugh because of Soojung's cold reaction. And as many people Soojung met in her life so far, only Mijoo can be this mysterious sometimes.

"You're still weird and full of emotions." Soojung said as she locked the door behind them and struggled in between the small space of the entryway with Mijoo's suitcases all together.

"And you're still cold and small." Mijoo mimicked Soojung's intonation and she loved how cute the smaller girl reacted to that.

There it is. Soojung thought, at least they could have a peaceful catching up session, but of course Mijoo had to bring that up.

"On second thought, you might wanna crash someone else's place…" Soojung replied with a fixed glare at Mijoo. And being Mijoo that Soojung knows, she would laugh it off.

"But, you're my schmol." Did Soojung say how she wishes that she could reverse the time and make everything possible between the two of them? – because she wants to take it back. How did Mijoo come up with that because it doesn't make sense since the word 'schmol' doesn’t have any meaning. But Mijoo simply defended herself by saying it was a cute way of saying small and it was meant for Soojung.

"I'm no one's schmol." Soojung took off her boots before she walked in to the living room to place the blueprints tubes on the coffee table. There are so much work to do before handing it to her superior tomorrow and if Mijoo is not being cooperative, maybe she would really kick the girl out without hesitation.

Mijoo is taking quite some time to take off her boots but immediately pulls her suitcases into the living room too once she set her feet free.

Soojung is lounging herself on the sofa tiredly and Mijoo joins her.

"I really miss you, Soul-ie."

Soojung hums tiredly in appreciation and looks to the other side of the room to hide the smile on her face. A lot of indescribable feelings chaotically jumbled and tangled together inside of her. But more than that, she feels very happy that Mijoo is finally sitting next to her on the lonely two-seater sofa. With her eyes fixed on the outside of the balcony; witnessing a shining sun with fluffy clouds on the pastel blue sky, time might wait for her as she gets to spend the rest of it with Mijoo.

And Soojung bites her lower lip to stop herself from liking too much when she feels a weight on her shoulder and fingers intertwining with her own. It turns out to be lovelier than Soojung thought it could be when a light snore coming out from Mijoo. Maybe they both could use a few minutes of napping before filling in the empty years they could have been going through together.

 

**********

 

–it's a beautiful life

a beautiful day

just breathing alone makes me happy

stay by my side

I'll stay by your side

a beautiful love

if I am with you under this sky

 

       [5 years ago…]

This was the sixth time in a week that Mijoo commuted back and forth between her university and her rented apartment but still couldn't remember which stop she should take. Jisoo, one of her housemates and classmates, have mentioned the name of the station to their apartment numerous times, but being Mijoo, she needs more time to get used to commuting all by herself.

The passengers in the carriage don't look approachable for Mijoo to start a conversation with so she had her attention fixed on a board of displayed routes and stations above the door. The station from her university is quite far from the Seoul metropolitan station, thus explained the small amount of passengers in the carriage at the moment.

There was no one in the carriage that particularly caught her attention but she admitted that she had been eyeing a small girl at the other corner from time to time. The girl had a pair of earphones in her ears as she appreciated the outside view while standing in front of the carriage door.

It was not like in those cliché romantic movies where Mijoo could immediately fall in love with a stranger at the first sight. But how the sun gently kissed the girl's pale skin through the slight tinted carriage's window got her breathless. How can someone be so ethereal? – is what Mijoo thought at that moment.

She didn't realize she had been staring for so long when suddenly the girl looked at her – probably felt uncomfortable under Mijoo's long stare – and she quickly averted her attention back on the board. After a few minutes of staring blankly at the board, Mijoo decided to glance over and she was caught for the second time when the girl still had her eyes on Mijoo.

This time, Mijoo didn't look away and she bravely made an eye contact with the girl. It felt like a million heartbeats when suddenly the girl smiled at her. It caught Mijoo off guard simply because the girl had flawless dimples when she smiled and somehow Mijoo can feel a growing happiness. Mijoo returned the smile sincerely and genuinely expressed how happy she was until the girl waved at her.

It took a few seconds for Mijoo to realize the meaning of it until the girl walked out of the carriage, leaving Mijoo with the rest of the passengers. It might take some time for Mijoo to remember her stop but it didn’t take more than a minute for her to remember the girl's stop. Mijoo smiled to herself unknowingly as she watched the back of the girl walking around the station until her petite figure disappeared among the crowd.

After commuting through two stations Mijoo's stop came next and for the first time, she remembered without walking out of the carriage to find it was the wrong station. That day couldn't get any better as the girl's smile kept appearing in Mijoo's mind.

 

The station was insanely crowded on the peak hour and Mijoo had no one to blame other than herself because she fell asleep while studying at the library in the campus. She rushed to the station in a quick pace and light jogs every now and then but that didn't make her any less irritated when she found out long queues waiting for the train. Mijoo dragged herself with heavy steps unwillingly to join in the queue and waited until she finally had the chance to board in the carriage on the third train.

The carriage was packed with passengers who were also standing while holding onto the safety rails above their heads. Mijoo walked with difficulty through the crowd in the small space of the carriage to find a spot for her to stand securely without awkwardly bumped into other people. She spotted a space just enough for her to fit in herself at a corner behind a group of high schoolers, so she headed there.

Mijoo almost let out a heartily laugh when the familiar girl from yesterday was actually standing there at the spot. It was really cute how the girl somehow hidden behind the taller high schoolers and her head was hanging low, looking down at her mixed dark blue and brown sporty sneakers.

"Hey…" Mijoo greeted with a smile and the girl looked up.

"Hey." The girl smiled too and the dimples made its appearance again. Mijoo felt happy that at least among the crowd she got to find a familiar face despite the fact that she just noticed the girl's existence the day before today.

"You're the one who waved at me yesterday, right?" Mijoo bravely asked the question without considering how it might be uncomfortable to start a conversation with a stranger like that. Because Mijoo knew enough that the goodbye gesture was pure and innocent, she hoped that described the girl's personality in a way.

"That was me." The girl chuckled. "Funny seeing you again despite the crowd."

If Mijoo had known the girl maybe a month or two, she would have replied it with a cheesy comment like; 'it's like we're meant to be', but Mijoo controlled herself not to freak the girl out.

"I'm Lee Mijoo, by the way."

"Lee Soojung."

 

**********

 

       [4 years ago…]

The beat to this song was very calming despite the fact that it tells a story of a person who doesn't fall in love. And how the female voice complements really well with the male voices is very soothing, just her cup of tea. What was the name of the singers again? IU and High4? Soojung looked at her phone again to examine the name of the singers and the title of the song.

 

–the chestnut colored coat

looked good during the long winter

i hid myself inside of it

and quickened my footsteps

but people keep asking

'why are you the only one like this?'

then i looked around and realized it was spring

 

With the soft grasses underneath her weight on the ground; with the blossoming flowers and growing leaves on the branches above her head, it was indeed a benefitting song to listen to. Soojung had a book with her – it's about a girl named Anna and how the story tells about her sacrifice for her younger sister, Kate who had to fight leukemia. Sometimes there were questions inside of her head, asking if the kind of 'love' she had for Mijoo is similar to sisterly type or something more and intense than that.

Speaking of the devil, Mijoo smoothly took one of the earphones away from Soojung for her to listen to the song as she was seated beside Soojung.

 

–everyone but me is in love

singing spring songs

flowers bloom and sway before my eyes

but i want to hear something else

something to sweep away everything

not spring, love or cherry blossoms

 

"Soul-ie, whose song is this? It's really good." Mijoo asked while she slowly made her way to lie her head down on Soojung's laps. With the soft grasses underneath Mijoo's body; Soojung's laps pillowed her head; the song conveyed the sweet melody in one of her ears; the swaying blooming flowers and growing leaves as the wind blew like a lover's caress above her, nothing is more perfect than to live the very moment.

"IU and High4." Soojung said indifferently with her eyes scanning the page as she read lines by lines. Soojung took a glance over at Mijoo who had her eyes closed, probably taking a short nap.

But what took her attention was their matching striped shirt. Even though the colors were different – Mijoo's was white and light blue while hers was white and light pink – it was obvious that they wore a matching pair. At first, Soojung was against of the idea but Mijoo managed to get her way. Soojung always wear comfortable clothes; for example, a combination of a hoodie and a skinny jeans. Something that is not fashionable enough besides the matching colors. Since she started to hang out with Mijoo, her style somehow changed bit by bit when Mijoo made her wear bright colors and skirts instead of dark colors and jeans.

She should be grateful that Mijoo complied with her of wearing jeans that day because she didn't want Mijoo to lie down on her exposed thighs. And how Mijoo liked to hold hands in public, Soojung was the opposite since she didn't like skinship. But if it's Mijoo, it was her turn to comply.

Knowing Mijoo, the girl was honest and straightforward, she wouldn't have a problem in telling the truth and confessing her feelings. Soojung didn't know how many times she went to sleep with Mijoo's goodnight text, saying that she loves her and every conversation will always end after that. Soojung didn't have to reply, she didn't feel the need to since Mijoo knew her feeling quite well, right?

The question was if their mutual love were ever the same type.

Is it a sisterly love?

Or romantically kind of love?

Or just soulmate type of relationship?

Soojung had no clue. Girls always do that; expressing their love towards one another, wearing matching shirts, matching bracelets, matching shoes and et cetera. It's normal too for girls to go on a date together, just the two of them. Soojung wanted to ask Mijoo, but maybe the question was too weird to bring up in the first place.

Mijoo snuggling into the warmth of Soojung's laps made her stopped overthinking. Soojung liked when Mijoo being the initiative one in their relationship because Soojung couldn't simply bring herself to do so. She was not a fan of skinship, she would always become still and frozen when someone touched her but it was always a different case when it comes to Mijoo.

Soojung glanced over for the second time to make sure that Mijoo was really sleeping before she reached out to hold Mijoo's hand. Maybe being like this was more than enough for her. As the sun shined its light in between the leaves and flowers above them, Soojung felt her eyes were getting heavy and she couldn't make out the words she listened to. So she let herself slowly drifted to dreamland.

 

Her back started to feel the pain as she leaned against a hardened surface of a tree trunk and her body desperately yearned for a movement before it became numb. That alone was enough to wake Soojung up. She languidly opened her eyes, one at a time as she slowly regained back her consciousness. But she quickly closed her eyes shut when she was welcomed with a sight of Mijoo leaning in dangerously close to her with her eyes closed.

She tried very hard not to move a muscle and pursed her lips together when she felt Mijoo's warm breath on her face. She could feel herself leaning back and sinking into the tree trunk – if that's possible – when her lips were being pressed lightly with Mijoo's. Even though the kiss was innocent at first without any movement, Soojung already gripped onto the grass tightly until her knuckles turned white as she pretended to be asleep.

Soojung had no idea what to do, so she let Mijoo set the pace when the taller girl turned to the side a little, just to get that perfect angle. She knew the kiss could go deeper after that, but the idea of going there this quick made Soojung's lips twitched.

"Soul-ie?" Mijoo broke the kiss but kept the distance close to the point where their noses touched.

Soojung didn't reply but her grip on the grass loosened a bit. She didn't know what to do or what to say since there were so many questionable feelings she felt at the moment. Mijoo backed away, just enough for her to run her thumb over Soojung's lips, erasing the traces of their first kiss.

"Sorry. That was inappropriate, huh?" Mijoo apologized and even though it was probably the most suitable comment at the given situation, Soojung's heart shattered at how broken Mijoo sounded like.

"Don't apologized, Joo…" Soojung replied, with her eyes opened and tear-filled. She never thought Mijoo would love her the same way but with her personality, she would like to keep things slow. Mijoo would understand, right?

"Let's go back." Mijoo stood up too fast to Soojung's liking and she walked slowly ahead, leaving Soojung behind, dumbfounded.

 

Soojung felt guilty because she might or might not have hurt Mijoo in a way. She hoped that she would be given a chance to explain her opinion about their relationship. But it seems impossible when Mijoo started to become extra cautious with her after that when they had dinner earlier.

Soojung didn't know how to start but okay, here goes nothing…

 

To: Joo [sent: 10:11, April 15th]

thanks joo for today

 

From: Joo [sent: 10:11, April 15th]

thank you too soul-ie

 

To: Joo [sent: 10:12, April 15th]

ummm

To: Joo [sent: 10:12, April 15th]

joo…

 

From: Joo [sent: 10:12, April 15th]

yeah?

 

To: Joo [sent: 10:13, April 15th]

i'm really sorry

To: Joo [sent: 10:13, April 15th]

it's just too much for me to take in

 

From: Joo [sent: 10:14, April 15th]

its supposed to be me apologizing

From: Joo [sent: 10:14, April 15th]

i shouldn't have took the advantage

From: Joo [sent: 10:15, April 15th]

hope you're not mad at me

 

To: Joo [sent: 10:15, April 15th]

even if i wanted to, i can't

To: Joo [sent: 10:15, April 15th]

i mean, i don't mind if we…

To: Joo [sent: 10:16, April 15th]

…kiss, but i really want to go slow

To: Joo [sent: 10:16, April 15th]

you're okay with that?

To: Joo [sent: 10:17, April 15th]

and i might push you involuntarily one day

To: Joo [sent: 10:17, April 15th]

if you go overboard

 

From: Joo [sent: 10:18, April 15th]

i understand

From: Joo [sent: 10:18, April 15th]

don't worry i won't do it again

From: Joo [sent: 10:18, April 15th]

unless you want me to

 

To: Joo [sent: 10:19, April 15th]

thank you

To: Joo [sent: 10:19, April 15th]

i really appreciate that

To: Joo [sent: 10:20, April 15th]

don’t be cautious around me

To: Joo [sent: 10:20, April 15th]

just be like how you normally are

To: Joo [sent: 10:20, April 15th]

because it makes me feel uncomfortable too

 

From: Joo [sent: 10:21, April 15th]

okay i'll try

 

To: Joo [sent: 10:21, April 15th]

thank you again

To: Joo [sent: 10:21, April 15th]

goodnight

 

 

From: Joo [sent: 10:22, April 15th]

goodnight

From: Joo [sent: 10:22, April 15th]

i love you

 

Soojung bit her lower lip, thinking whether she should end the conversation like how she usually did or reply to Mijoo the same thing. After a few minutes of hesitation, she pressed the 'SEND' button.

 

To: Joo [sent: 10:30, April 15th]

love you too

 

**********

 

       [3 years ago…]

Mijoo tried to catch up with her girlfriend but she was too far ahead from her. As Mijoo tried to lessen the gap between them by jogging lightly across the living room, Soojung slammed her bedroom door. Mijoo ran fast to turn around the knob but Soojung locked it already.

"Soul-ie." Mijoo knocked on the door. "Let's talk about this."

Mijoo heard nothing coming from behind the closed door so she kept on knocking while calling out for her.

"Soul-ie…"

"Soul-ie, talk to me please…"

[You should go back, Mijoo.]

Mijoo heard Soojung's voice muffled behind the door. She tried so hard to hold in the tears at the corner of her eyes, trying to be strong for the both of them. Mijoo turned the knob one more time, desperately trying to have a face-to-face conversation with Soojung.

"Not until you open this door. Let's talk about this."

[There's nothing to be talked about.]

"Soul-ie, please let me explain."

Mijoo waited for what it seemed like a million heartbeat until Soojung responded.

[Talk.]

"I'm really sorry that you had to know this from Jisoo. I was waiting for the right time to bring it up to you."

[And when will that be?]

"I planned to tell you over dinner, seriously. But, I guess you already knew before I got the chance to…"

[Well, too bad for that.]

"Soul-ie, please. Can you open this door? I wanna see you."

[I…]

Mijoo didn't realize she stopped breathing as she waited for Soojung to continue her sentence.

[I… don't wanna see you.]

[Just do whatever you want.]

Mijoo knew Soojung didn't mean that because she can hear a light sobbing behind the door. It broke her heart to find Soojung crying over this fight they had and it brought her to tears too.

"Soul-ie." Mijoo's voice shaken a little. "I'm sorry. You know I love you, right?"

No respond.

So Mijoo decided to walk out of Soojung's apartment and end the night unresolved.

 

–if we can't see each other starting tomorrow

will you be fine?

when you said you were sorry

i want to pretend i didn't hear it

if i get angry, it seems like it would be over

if i cry right now, it seems like it would be over

so i'm trying to smile

i'm trying to think of something else

but the tears are falling

 

It's been a week since the day Mijoo flew to Spain for two years as a requirement for her to graduate. And another year as Mijoo continues to take a year of internship or maybe working in the fashion industry. Soojung was totally okay with the idea of being separated away from Mijoo for three years, but what she couldn't understand was why Mijoo had to apply to Spain.

There were other prestigious art universities in the Northeast Asian countries like Japan and China, which will be easier for them to meet once a year whenever Mijoo came to South Korea. But, Spain? It was around 13 hours of flight duration without any flight delay. Plus, 8-hours of time differences they had to deal with while having a long distance relationship, Soojung didn't like the idea.

Mijoo didn't tell Soojung on the day of her flight since they were still not in the talking terms. But Mijoo did try to make it up to Soojung by contacting her back once she reached Spain. Soojung didn't need to ask Mijoo anything – she pretended that Mijoo was still in South Korea as she waited for Mijoo to tell. Yet, Mijoo didn't tell her and Jisoo was the one who had been texting her about Mijoo's updates every now and then.

It's really heartbroken when Mijoo was hiding the truth of her departure from Soojung. And how Jisoo was the one telling her everything about Mijoo, she felt annoyed and irritated because of the overwhelming jealousy. She knew Jisoo didn't do nothing wrong when Jisoo was actually trying to help her out. But since Mijoo trusted Jisoo more than her, she can't accept it.

"I love you", my .

 

To: Joo [sent: 06:34, June 8th]

joo, i need some time alone

To: Joo [sent: 06:34, June 8th]

let's

To: Joo [sent: 06:35, June 8th]

let's stop contacting each other

 

From: Joo [sent: 11:21, June 8th]

okay

 

The pain was just too much for Soojung to handle alone.

How Mijoo seemed to keep an act of being happy whenever they texted each other.

How Mijoo didn’t be honest with her anymore.

How Mijoo suddenly out of her reach.

Mijoo changed, perhaps.

 

Soojung thought it was better for them to have time to themselves as they think about this thoroughly. And if they’re meant to be together, they will be together. Soojung kept repeating the same thing every time she woke up to a new day and every time she went to bed hoping for a better tomorrow.

 

And if they’re meant to be together, they will be together.

 

**********

 

       [Present day…]

The olfactible fragrance of lavender mixed together with a familiar body scent smelled too good to be true. The place where she used as a pillow was too uncomfortable for her since she had to bend down, in which one side of her neck became numb for staying in that position for a long time, but she didn't care. She didn’t want to wake up because this sweet dream of hers might end.

"Joo…"

Oh. It’s that voice again. Her voice that I miss so much.

"Joo…"

I don't know how many times I heard her voice already but I want her to keep calling me.

"Mijoo…"

I must be crazy since her voice sounds too real.

"Hey Mijoo, wake up."

No, I don't want to wake up. I might not be able to hear your voice again.

 

Soojung doesn't know how to wake Mijoo up since she's been calling her name so many times but to no avail. She looks to the side, seeing Mijoo sleeping on her shoulder soundly. It would be better to have Mijoo sleeping comfortably on her bed instead. But she hesitates a little when Mijoo looks very beautiful with her sun-kissed blonde hair complementing her visual. It's been 3 whole years and she would do anything to keep Mijoo next to her side from that day onwards.

Anything, huh?

Soojung waves awkwardly in front of the sleeping Mijoo, making sure that the girl is really sleeping before she leans in closer. She lowers her head until she could see Mijoo's face clearly in a very close distance. The angle is weird and probably uncomfortable for both of them, but what's important for Soojung is to leave a quick peck on Mijoo's slightly plump lips.

Seeing Mijoo this close reminds her of their first kiss on a spring day where the flowers bloom and the leaves grow. It was nothing grand and fancy like other people's first kiss, but it was enough for Soojung to appreciate until this day. They didn't kiss after that since Mijoo was somehow afraid to initiate and Soojung was always waiting, but there were times where Mijoo left a peck on her cheeks and sometimes on her forehead.

And it always makes her blushed and tickled pink.

I wonder how Mijoo will react to this…

 

Soojung takes another minute to appreciate sleeping Mijoo on her shoulder before leaning in with her eyes closed. The touch is very light since their lips slightly brush against one another. Knowing Soojung who doesn't initiate skinship, this takes a lot of courage for her to do so. Soojung's lips are shaking against Mijoo's. Her body is trembling too, yet she pushes herself to deepen the touch.

But her movement pauses when she can feel a stronger grip in between their intertwined fingers and a hand moving to the back of her neck. She can feel her spine tingling when a thumb runs on her nape, showing her a signal of encouragement. Soojung titled to the side a little to get a better angle and when their lips meet perfectly like a missing piece to a puzzle, she stops to appreciate the moment.

She can't concentrate on her surrounding when the only thing she can think of is her heartbeat and the touch on her lips. The moving thumb on her nape and their interlocked fingers are pleasurably thrilling, making her excited and feel very special. It is way better than their first kiss and she wonders why they didn't do this earlier. Soojung melts in the touch, losing herself in the kiss when suddenly Mijoo breaks the contact.

"Soul-ie, is it okay to go deeper?" Mijoo's question brings her back to the reality. She slowly opens her eyes to find Mijoo's worried gaze on her. The gaze gets her flustered, Soojung quickly averts her attention downwards, looking at their hands.

"Sorry. I was not in my right mind." Soojung answered, suddenly the hand on her nape moves slowly to cup her cheek.

"Don't apologize. I really want you…" Mijoo clears . "I really want you to kiss me." Soojung noticed how Mijoo suddenly sounded shy unlike her usual self and when she looked up, Mijoo was blushing.

They stay silent after that, wondering if their heartbeats are loud enough for the other to notice. Their eyes meet once again and neither of them looks away as they are drowning into the depth of the black orbs. With Mijoo's thumb now caresses Soojung's cheek lovingly and their fingers interlocking together, Soojung makes a promise to make sure they stay like that, always.

 

"I'm sorry – "

"Sorry – "

They both voice out at the same time, they chuckle after that.

"You go first." Soojung said, with a genuine smile on her face.

"I'm sorry for not telling you about my departure. I wanted to make sure that we're okay and tried to get used to the time difference and distance, but I guess it was too much for the both of us…"

Soojung hums responsively.

"And I'm sorry for leaving you when the thing between us is still unsolved. I was childish at that time – "

"Joo…" Soojung interrupted.

"Yeah?"

"Let's not blame anyone, okay? Things like this were bound to happen and we were childish and inexperienced at that time…" Soojung brings her free hand to touch Mijoo's bangs lightly. "I'm sorry too and I know it was probably the most painful thing for you when I told you to stop contacting as you had no one to depend on over there. But, seriously it was painful for me too."

Soojung's eyes get teary and she can't hold it in anymore as guilt rises within her. Her tears roll down her cheek, leaving traces of her pained heart. Mijoo tries to hold her tears in because she believes that someone needs to be stronger in order for this heart-to-heart conversation to work. She wipes away Soojung's tears, erasing the traces before she pulls Soojung closer for a quick peck.

The sudden peck startles Soojung and her eyes automatically stop getting watery.

"Let's keep a happy and good relationship from now…" It sounded more like a demand than a suggestion but Soojung doesn't mind. Soojung withdraws her hands from Mijoo before hugging the taller girl into her embrace tightly. Mijoo responded to the hug, securely wrapping her hand around Soojung's waist and holding the back of Soojung's figure.

Soojung hums quietly against Mijoo's shoulder but loud enough for the girl to hear.

 

–not everything you have stays forever

but there are things you'll be glad

to fight for just to have them

a little longer

 

And their relationship is worth to fight for...


[A/N] this is my first girl pairing so idk ;;;