Ramyeon and Beer

(S)He Said [아는 사이]

“We are SHINHWA!”

The six men posed in front of the large mirror in the dance studio, staring at their reflections, with arms stretched out as if reaching towards their future fans. Without hesitation, the leader of the group continued with their individual greetings.

“Hello, I’m in charge of English rap and the leader role in Shinhwa, I’m Eric.”

The next member continued after the oldest member had spoken, “Hello, I’m in charge of rap and vocals in Shinhwa, I’m witty guy, Kim Dongwan.”

“Hello, I’m in charge of being the main vocal and the little prince image in Shinhwa, I’m Shin Hyesung,” a softer and gentle voice trailed on, an awkward laughter trying not to show.

The shortest of the tet eyed Hyesung with a grin before continuing with his own greeting. “Hello, I’m in charge of vocals, rap and choreography in Shinhwa, I’m cool guy, Lee Minwoo.”

With his sharp features, deep voice, and a contrasting height with the previous speaker, the next member spoke, “Hello, I’m in charge of rap, choreography and the SF comic image in Shinhwa, I’m Junjin.”

The last and youngest member in the group listened to his seniors before ending the session with his greeting, “Hello, I’m in charge of English rap in Shinhwa, I’m shy guy, Andy.”

The group let out a laughter at the end of their practice. It was yet another tiring day of endless dance practices and greeting rehearsals before their official debut in a few months. Their manager approached them with the schedules for next week’s recording session and passed them their bottles of water. “Good work guys. I’m starting to see your hardwork paying off. Next week’s schedule would be a bit tighter than it already is as you have two songs to record as well shooting for your debut MV.”

The six men nodded and thanked their manager before she left the studio. While the rest casually flipping through the papers they just received, Dongwan threw towels to his group members for them to clean their perspiration. “Where shall we go for dinner?” he asked.

Andy dragged the towel across his face before answering the vocalist, “Ramyeon? The one close to our dorm.”

The other four guys immediately agreed to the suggestion of their youngest member. They were tired and hungry after a day’s practice, much less having the energy to think of what and where to eat. Anything seemed nice at this moment and the six quickly packed up before heading out for food.

The six men walking towards the ramyeon shop were known as ‘Shinhwa’, which meant “Legend” in Korean. All six were scouted at different times, some from dance competitions or were previously models. The teens had no idea being trainees of an entertainment company would be so tiring, but living the idol life was a dream for all of them. Their first official meeting was six months after their individual training, when it was announced that they would be working together and debuting as the idol group “Shinhwa”. All could still remember the awkwardness during the first meeting, and Dongwan being the joker of the lot broke the ice by introducing himself first.

The rest of their training days was history.

Having stayed in the same dorm for more than a year, the six of them grew closer as each day passed. Their schedules were the same, the only difference being their private tutoring session with their vocal instructors. Seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day, the six members saw each other more than half the time. They knew each other’s likes and dislikes, well, almost all that is.  

Leader Eric was the last to leave the studio and was walking behind the rest of s as they headed towards the eatery. As trainees, they did not have the ability and income to own a car, but was lucky enough for their company to have their dorm so near the company that everything was within 15 minutes’ reach. He strolled behind the rest, hands in his pockets but his eyes staring at the silhouette of the main vocalist. He quickened his steps to catch up with the man currently chatting with Junjin. “Jinnie-ah,” he called.

Both men turned to look at him, which had been his intention as he did not want the main vocalist to feel as if he was deliberately asking for his attention. “When’s your vocal class next week? I think mine’s the session right after yours.”

“It’s on a Tuesday at 4pm. And yeah, you’re right after my session.” The rapper answered.

Hyesung watched the conversation that happened before him and turned his attention to his phone. As vocalists, he, Minwoo and Dongwan had different instructors as compared to the three rappers of the group. Most of the sessions fell on even days so that was a day where the members got to see each other only when they were back in their shared dormitory. Eric saw the vocalist walking ahead of him and Junjin, disappointed that Hyesung made no attempt to join in their conversation. “Hyesung-ah.”

“Hmm?” the man answered, turning his head away from his phone and looked at the leader.

Their eyes met and Eric quickly looked away before muttering a “nothing” and continued walking.

Minwoo suddenly stopped and the others followed. “Finally! Food!” he chimed in excitement as they walked into the shop and settled down.

The six men finished their food within matter of minutes and hurried back to their dorm for a shower. They had a habit of racing each other to the dorm, as the first would always have priority to the bathroom. Minwoo, being the sportiest of the six reached the dorm first, but was beaten by Andy who was smart enough to have his keys ready. The poor dancer was still struggling at the door searching for his keys when the youngest member unlocked the door and shut it in his face.

“I’m your senior you know!” Minwoo shouted.

There was a roar of laughter from the opposite side of the door before a reply followed, “That’s why you’re slow!”

Minwoo rolled his eyes and turned the knob, having finally found his keys in his huge duffel bag. “If I’m slow,” he said, putting down his bag next to the couch, “Eric must be the slowest.”  

“At least he’s tall.” Andy replied in sarcasm before stepping into the bathroom for his well-earned shower.

Eric entered the dorm just in time to hear Minwoo mentioning his name and could not help but wondered what just happened between the two. The dancer brushed him off and headed back into his shared room with Dongwan. The six members took turns to shower and chilled at the living hall while waiting. If there was one thing they had to complain about their accommodation, it was the lack of an extra bathroom. After all, six grown men staying in a three-room apartment was too small to begin with. However, given the opportunity they had been blessed with by their company, they have not much to complain.

“Beer?” Eric asked.

The other members nodded their heads.

Beer was good. The next week that is just after the weekend?

Not so.  


I AM BACK!

It's been so long and I'm kinda excited for this story to develop. I already have the ending in mind as I was writing this chapter tbh. 

That being said, I'm thankful for all of you who have come to read this story. Changjos or not, all are welcomed.

I don't really have much to say in this section, but I am open for questions if you have any (eg: why did I disappear for so long etc)

Subscribe, comment, rant. 

Cheers,

cladiot