One

Paper Planes

          1
“Sometimes, to feel the wind, you just have to be it.” – Rachel Ardens


It went all the way back to the beginning of autumn.

 

I was stacking the books on the shelves at the school’s library, when I saw a group of girls; the famous kind of clan, sitting at the corner of the library. They were making noises and no librarian had the balls to stop them; not even me.

I watched them talking while fake-reading the books they took; probably from the magazine section.

As I looked at the familiar faces, I noticed a new one; a foreignly beautiful one. She had dark brown open wave locks with dark, thick lashes and eyes as blue as the ocean. Her brows were beautifully arched; as if they were drawn by God Himself and she had a skinny silhouette. Her skin was a beautifully toned tan.

She seemed a bit quiet; she was just laughing at some jokes the other girls made, but most of the time she was looking at; or probably reading, the novel she took; Thin like the Wind.

My favorite novel.

 

The bell rang and all of the girls stood up to go home; except her.

I watched her as I was taking care of the counter, to manage the logouts of the librarians on duty that day on the laptop the school provided for the library.

 

“Aye, Jinnie. I gotta go home now. You’re fine with locking the library alone?” Yunhyeong patted on the counter’s table made of wood; painted in cream.

I nodded and smiled lightly. “Sure. You go home now. See you tomorrow,” I said as I was turning off the laptop. Yunhyeong nodded and grinned.

“Bye,” He said as he was closing the door of the library. I raised my right hand as a sign to respond to him, and he shut the door fully; leaving me and only the new girl in the library.

I packed my stuffs and put them in my backpack. It was already 3 p.m., so I would better be going home.

As I was turning off the aircond, I noticed that the girl was still there, reading the novel with full concentracy. I watched her flip the pages of the novel and didn’t even realize that my heart was beating rapidly at the breathtaking beauty of hers.

Just as much as I wanted her to drown in her imagination, I also needed to tell her to go home because the library should already have been closed by now.

I collected all the man I had in me to walk towards her.

I cleared my throat as I was standing right in front of her, and she lifted her head up to look at me.

Her eyes were so beautiful; I was lost at first look.

I struggled to keep my head balanced and managed to finally speak.

“Hey, miss. Sorry to disturb your fantasies but… the library’s closed,” I smiled as I said those shaky words.

She chuckled nervously as she closed the book, which made my cheeks burn even more. If I have ever listened to Athena’s voice, I was pretty sure that she sounded just like her.

“Sorry, I was too drowned in this book,” She said, grinning as she closed the black colored novel.

“Rachel Ardens have always killed with her writing skills,” I said.

She paused to look up to me from packing her stuffs in her backpack.

“You like her too?” Her face beamed as she asked. I smiled nervously and nodded.

“We have one thing in common already,” She grinned as she stood up and pulled the chair back into its place; under the table.

“Um, do you mind if I borrow this book?” She lifted the novel using her right hand and furrowed her eyebrows.

I wished I could say yes, but I was never the one to break any rules at the school. Not even taking a risk; not even for a girl like her, because I would be graduating this year. A discipline record would crash my dreams to become a pilot.

I shook my head slowly and plastered an apologetic smile on my face to show her how sorry I was. “System’s closed after 1.30, so I hope you’d understand,” I said softly.

I thought that she would roll her eyes; like how the girls she hung out with would do if someone didn’t do what they told them to, but instead she just smiled and nodded.

“It’s okay, I understand,” She said and walked towards the shelves for English books to put the novel back to its place.

I watched her opening the door of the library, and suddenly one thing popped into my mind.

“Hey! Um…,” I hesitantly called as I rubbed the back of my head. I have just realized that I didn’t know her name yet.

She turned her head to look at me and smiled. “It’s Inara. Inara Will,” She said with her melodic voice.

Now she had a name; a distinctively gorgeous one that suited her so well.

“Inara, hold on,” I said as I put my backpack down to the floor and opened a compartment's zip.

I took out the novel that she read earlier, but this one was mine.

I walked towards her and handed it to her.

“Sorry that it’s worn out. I’ve read it for way too many times,” I chuckled nervously.

She gasped in excitement as she took the novel from my hand. Our pinky fingers brushed against each other and it quickly sent an electrical vibe that it made me have goosebumps.

“Thank you so much, um..,” She stole a glance at my librarian nametag, the one that I only put on when I was on duty; before continuing.

“Thank you so much, Jinhwan!” She said beamingly as she tucked the book onto her chest. I nodded and smiled, as a sign of saying ‘you’re most welcome.’

“I’m looking forward to see you tomorrow,” She smiled and closed the door; leaving me alone with her, wandering in my mind.

 

 


A/N: hello guys :) be sure to check out the next chapter hehe. please support me x - mrs kim