1/1

One Day in May

Unbetaed


It is too cold for a day in May. Above him, blue skies welcome the fumes elevating from dozens of blasted bombs. Bombs that were thrown before their ambush. The enemies were caught off guard, as they watched them run around in total panic—uncoordinated, frail—it had been easy to attack and kill them. Every single one of them. 

Chanyeol sets out to check if the field has been totally cleared. For a second, he remains stunned by the smell of burnt human flesh. It is nauseating, and it urges him to vomit, but his stomach stops churning when he hears a bush nearby move. Adrenaline fuels his veins as his fingers quickly wrap themselves around his gun. He carefully takes a step forward.

The branches emit a creaky sound as a soldier jumps out. Immediately and instinctively, they both lift their guns, one pointing it against the other. The other man has the same stained uniform as the one worn by the dead and amputated soldiers lying on the ground, and Chanyeol wonders how this one has survived. His hands are shaking, and his bloodshot eyes are brimmed with tears. A shot would suffice to end this, Chanyeol thinks. He is ready to pull the trigger before the other does, but then, out of the blue, the other soldier lowers his arms, and drops his gun. 

Gaping, Chanyeol is completely taken aback. His grip around the gun slackens, though he doesn't let his guard down. Not once in his career this has happened, in which a man deliberately gives his life for Chanyeol to take. Everyone else had fought for it, even struggling or with no avail, but here this man is, ready to die in his hands. 

What is more surprising is Chanyeol has decided not to shoot him. He simply tucks away his gun, and stares intently at the man before him. He searches in his face for answers, but all he finds is a blank, distant look. His curiosity is now overwhelming.

"Why?" Chanyeol's deep voice sounds gruff. As quite as he has expected, the soldier doesn't answer, or give a relevant reaction.

He overhears the divisions starting to march away. Slightly panicking, and with no particular reason, Chanyeol's eyes wander around them, searching for anything to cover the other soldier's uniform color. He unequivocally wants to take the other with him, even if there are other more rational options apart from that decision. The soldier, somehow, has become Chanyeol's responsibility and he doesn't know why.

Staggering, trying so much not to step on the dead bodies, he looks around until he finds the corpse of one of his regiment. He has been shot straight to his forehead. Hastily, he strips the uniform right off that lifeless body. He comes back to the soldier still standing there, as if unanimated, and he starts ing his shirt and taking off his pants. Chanyeol's fingers glide on his smooth and pale skin, but stop when he feels a scar, right beneath his right pectoral. He finds another on his back, while he is slipping on him the other shirt. Chanyeol does the exchanging of uniforms as fast as he can, and the other just lets him do.

Once he finishes, Chanyeol grabs him by the arm and obliges him to walk in front of him. Also this time, he receives no reaction. They quickly catches up with the marching army, and Chanyeol already feels the regret of doing what he has just done—he has brought an enemy among them, who can turn out as a spy. His stream of thoughts halts at one point when the lieutenant of his regiment calls him out. Quite nervous, he stops walking. The soldier doesn't. 

"Chanyeol, we left someone out there?" The lieutenant asks, chin nudging towards the man he secretly sneaked in.

Bringing a hand to his nape, Chanyeol attempts to hide his uneasiness, "Uh, yes, Sir."

The other hums, "Good thing we have you, sergeant." 

Bidding him goodbye with a salute, Chanyeol turns back, in search of the soldier. When they arrive at the camp, he sees him heading towards the shore of the lake—now he has got a fierce look in those wild eyes, determination embodying every step of his, and a hand clamped over a gun.

Chanyeol trails after him, his heart racing, dreading the soldier's intention. In fact, as they arrive to the pebbly shore, the soldier lifts his gun and presses it against his temple. Chanyeol is fast enough to lunge forward and shove it away from his hold.

"What the are you doing?" Chanyeol rasps out, an unreasonable anger clouding his mind.

"Why do you care anyways?" For the first time, the soldier reacts to Chanyeol's actions. His voice is soft, yet broken and seemingly pleading.

"Please let me go," The soldier says, before tears start to stream down his rosy cheeks. He finally breaks. And Chanyeol is there to catch him when he teeters forward, crashing into his arms. The soldier cries his heart out, as Chanyeol shushes him gently, rocking him back and forth, caressing his back.

It has been a long time since Chanyeol felt a warmth so pleasant, but at the same time, nostalgic.

 


 

The following days are quite and peaceful. Their superiors haven't planned anything, they say. A lot of them, indeed, find it strange, for there is no peace when there's war, but some have taken it as an advantage to take a rest and get some decent sleep.

Chanyeol spends his time writing to his family. Weeks ago, he received a letter in which his mother told him about his sister expecting their second child. Delighted of the news, Chanyeol told himself he absolutely needed to survive the following days just to express his happiness through his letter. He tells his family about the soldier, too. 

After the scene by the shore, the soldier looks like he has adapted to the new environment. It doesn't seem bothering to him the fact that he is among the enemies, which is, of course, odd to think about. The thought that he might be a spy has never left Chanyeol's mind, but as long as nobody suspects and the soldier himself doesn't do anything suspicious, they are okay. Apart from that, he looks doing fine—his skin has regained a little color and his eyes have somewhat a new glint in them. 

At first, he just follows Chanyeol everywhere. Or, when he can, Chanyeol notes he goes sit alone by the shore, contemplating nothing in particular, yet his gaze so distant. Then, he surprises Chanyeol by volunteering at the shack that accomodates the clinic of the camp. Chanyeol deduces that he is, or at least was, a nurse, for how professional and incredible he is at managing the doctor's orders and the patients. 

Therefore, the soldier spends his time healing other people, while Chanyeol watches him discreetly from the outside, even for hours and hours.

 


 

To give the soldiers something to do, the major suggests to build another shack. Chanyeol is assigned to bring the planks of wood from the ground to the builders on the roof, together with a fellow soldier in the same regiment, Minseok.

On the third series of planks to bring up, Minseok's voice chirps in, "So, what's the deal with that nurse, sergeant?"

A faint shade of red taints Chanyeol's cheek, "What are you talking about?"

"You can't fool us, sergeant," Minseok snickers playfully, "We see how you look at him. By the way, which division is he from?"

Chanyeol swallows, "Um, I don't know. The new ones, I guess."

"Oh. That's weird, though. I heard the new ones are still on their way.." Minseok muses, readying himself to lift the wood to the roof, "Anyways, do you like him or not?"

"Since when we have this kind of intimate relationship, soldier?" Chanyeol huffs, trying to lift the planks at the same time Minseok does, but he positions his hand in a wrong way. He flinches, dropping the hold he has onto the planks. This time, he doesn't move fast enough, as the corners wound his skin right above his brows.

Howling in pain, Minseok promptly runs to his side and at the sight of blood, he rushes him to the clinic. There, a nurse instantly gives him a wet towel to press against the wound. But the one who takes care of the injury is the soldier he "adopted". 

Chanyeol's heart skips a beat when the soldier leans in so dangerously close to him, in able to clean the lesioned skin. Chanyeol hisses at every dab of the cloth, but the soldier soothes the pain by blowing on it. He suppress the urge to flick his gaze upwards, even if he really wants to. The urge to look into the other's eyes, and just be lost in them. To be lost in his thoughts, his emotions, his world.

"The wound's not deep," His voice is still as soft as the first time Chanyeol has heard it, "That means no stitches."

"Some good news, I suppose." 

For the first time too, the soldier smiles. A simple, genuine smile, that has Chanyeol's heart doing somersaults, "It needs a bandage though. Then, give it a few days to heal."

Chanyeol wants to say a thousand of things in that moment, but they die once they reach his tongue, and all he can utter is a "thank you".

"Baekhyun." The soldier says a few minutes later, putting back the scissors in the silver tray. He has finished bandaging Chanyeol's lesion, Chanyeol supposes.

Confused, he knitted his brows. Wrong move because of the wound, "Come again?"

"My name is Baekhyun." The soldier murmurs, before walking away from Chanyeol.

A familiar warmth ades Chanyeol's system, and it fills his heart to the brink that he fears it might explode at any time.

 


 

Two regiments, including Chanyeol's, are called to advance until they reach a village called Brigada. They occupy it, as a temporary base, and wait there for further instructions. The villagers have already been notified that the soldiers are moving into their homes for that short period of time. Chanyeol doesn't like it when they move into other people's houses just like that, it is not that he can oppose either.

The regiments arrive after three days of walking incessantly. Though exhausted, they get to occupy the whole village in no time. It is a small village too, and no one resisted to the army.

Night falls and some soldiers have decided to create a bonfire at the center of the only square in the village. They consider it a bonding time among soldiers, since they hadn't do it for a long time now, so Chanyeol goes. He arrives to soldiers telling their stories to others, some drinking and laughing together like they've known each other for ages. Chanyeol grins sincerely.

With a drink in hand, Chanyeol strolls around until he hears a familiar voice. His eyes fall on Baekhyun, who he is among a group of young soldiers, an arm looped around a boy sitting besides him, as they listen to the story-telling of a soldier. Hesitant at first, Chanyeol trudges his way over them. The soldiers only acknowledge his presence when one of them stands up to salute him. 

"Sergeant!" Jongdae, one of the soldiers, exclaims, "Glad to see you here!"

"Yeah, like you really are." Chanyeol sarcastically replies, and all of them crack up into a fit of laughter. They look already so drunk.

"Please do sit down," Kyungsoo, the boy sitting besides Baekhyun, pats the little space available between him and Baekhyun. He certainly is, and still, sober. While Chanyeol taking his seat, he and Baekhyun exchange glances, but only for a brief moment.

Jongdae stands up, almost teetering, and smiles sluggishly, "So, like I was saying before our lovely sergeant intrudes in," He hiccups, "I think we should have a little music here. Charles, go get our guitar!"

The said Charles—Chanyeol doesn't know him—flees and comes back with the musical instrument in his hand. He starts strumming a folkloric song Chanyeol has never heard, that has Jongdae start humming and singing. Other soldiers join him in singing, and soon their circle has enlargened and most of the soldiers have commenced dancing, too. The atmosphere of the place has become light and surreal, appearing as a bittersweet and momentary escape from the reality of all of the things outside of that minuscule village.

Kyungsoo leaves his side to go and latch his arms with a soldier and dance to the beat of the song. The air suddenly fills with tension, as Baekhyun and Chanyeol remain glued on the ground. Baekhyun eventually bobs his head, grinning when Kyungsoo and his dancing partner waltzes by, hollering at him.

Clearing his throat, Chanyeol leans into Baekhyun's ear so that he can hear him as he comments,  "Saw you made friends."

Baekhyun does the same, and Chanyeol's heart starts beating fast, "Yeah."

Multiple times they are invited to join in, and when Jongdae pushes them both to the center, the music stops for a while. The other soldiers whistle while they watch the scene upon them unfold, as if they are excited and already know what is happening between Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Completely embarrassed, Chanyeol keeps insisting on the fact he can't dance, but then, Baekhyun grabs his arm and wraps it around his waist, before placing his hand on Chanyeol's shoulder, and the other lifts Chanyeol's still free hand. The soldiers cheer gleefully and the music starts playing again. 

Baekhyun chuckles as he and Chanyeol jump around, trying to dance along even if they don't know how. Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun closer, and the latter looks straight to his eyes for the first time. Chanyeol's noticed that his eyes gleam under the flicker of the fire. Those eyes, that hide something so profound, so sincere. Chanyeol's own eyes roam over his lashes, his brows. His button nose, his cherry lips. He is breathtakingly beautiful. 

Suddenly, an inexplicable force tugs them away from the crowd. Laughing, they run towards the house in which Chanyeol moved into. There is no one the moment they enter, so Chanyeol drags Baekhyun into his room and pushes him against the door once it has been closed.

The moonlight sleeping through the thin curtains seem caressing Baekhyun's features. And Chanyeol observes how Baekhyun's gaze softens, and how the corner of his lips quirk upwards. Slow and careful, Chanyeol inches forward, closing the gap between his lips and Baekhyun's. And when they finally touch, stars explode behind Chanyeol's closed eyes.

Their lips mould perfectly. The kiss, shy at first, becomes heated and needy when Chanyeol parts Baekhyun's lips, swiftly letting his tongue in, and owning a moan of pleasure from him.

Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun's body away from the door, lips still attached to his, and nearly stumbling, he pushes him onto the bed. Chanyeol, about to crawl on top of him, lands on his back across the mattress when Baekhyun hovers over him. Baekhyun catches his lips again—the kiss tasting more and more of hunger and desperation.

With floundering fingers, Chanyeol lifts Baekhyun's shirt up and slides it over his head, throwing it carelessly on the floor afterwards. His hands wander all over Baekhyun's soft skin, while swallowing every gasp and moan that escape from his mouth. Detaching his lips for a moment, Chanyeol stalls to admire Baekhyun's body, lost in perfection he radiates. He tears his gaze away too soon, when Baekhyun lifts Chanyeol's shirt for it to join Baekhyun's on the cold floor. Baekhyun pampers Chanyeol's jaw with kisses while holding onto Chanyeol's shoulders, digging his nails onto his skin. Groaning, Chanyeol grips tightly on Baekhyun's hips. 

Kneeling upright, Baekhyun s Chanyeol's pants as Chanyeol stays there, watching, hands  Baekhyun's clothed thighs. Baekhyun runs his fingers along the waistband of the pants, before pulling them down together in one rapid motion. Then, Baekhyun purely stares, chest heaving, at Chanyeol's body. Baekhyun's eyes reflect that lust and passion Chanyeol is feeling too. Unable to help himself, Chanyeol, now hazed and maybe a little in love, lifts himself up and switches their position. He kisses every inch of Baekhyun's skin, from his slender neck, collarbones, pale shoulder. Baekhyun shivers in his arms, relishing every single one of them.

Chanyeol's hands reaches down, and strips the other completely. With both of them fully in front of each other's eyes, Chanyeol slides down over Baekhyun's body, brushing his lips against his prickling skin, his breath ghosting, and sending little shocks throughout Baekhyun's body, who shivers in his hold. Claiming his lips again, Chanyeol kisses him, but this time, slow and alluring, "Will you marry me one day?" He whispers huskily.

Chuckling, Baekhyun presses his lips on Chanyeol's forehead tenderly, before tucking it beneath his teeth, "Yes."

Feeling the happiest man of the world in that moment, Chanyeol drags Baekhyun into a long night of pure and absolute pleasure.

 


 

They wake up to the sound of series of gunshot from outside. Chanyeol hasn't fully registered what is currently happening, when the door busts opened and both him and Baekhyun shoot upright. A couple of soldiers with uniforms completely different from theirs enter, appearing completely astonished in seeing Baekhyun. But once their eyes fall on the clothes on the floor, their faces change, "Baekhyun, what is the meaning of this?"

Chanyeol doesn't hear Baekhyun's answer, for the bombs and screams and gunshots make everything else garbled, incomprehensible and chaotic. Though a bit dazed, Chanyeol becomes entirely awake and alert when they start yelling and dragging Baekhyun away. Baekhyun's face, now smeared with his tears, fights hopelessly to be released from their hold. Chanyeol immediately throws himself forward, only to welcome a bullet that pierces into the skin of his shoulder.

Wincing, Chanyeol clutches on his wound. He returns back on his feet, knees wobbling, and as he reels, he looks at Baekhyun one last time, reaching out for him, before receiving another shot that completely knocked him off of his feet, and he falls loudly on the floor.

 


 

The war finishes one day in May, a few years after. Baekhyun doesn't know who won, and he doesn't really care to know.

After he had been taken away from Chanyeol, Baekhyun survived being killed by his superiors by telling them he acted as a spy, but he couldn't snoop on things as much, for he worked as a nurse, so he hadn't heard anything that was worth to report of. Afterwards, Baekhyun resisted, to get through this war, that had become not a war between his army and the enemy, but a war in which it was the world who was against him and Chanyeol. He fought through struggles, and continuous pain and despair, just to be able to see Chanyeol.

The war finishes one day in May, and Baekhyun hasn't found Chanyeol yet until a soldier knocks on his door of his humble home and drops a few boxes.

"What are these?" He asks, eyeing the boxes wrapped poorly with ropes.

"They're Park Chanyeol's possessions. He ordered to send them to this address." 

Merely hearing Chanyeol's name, all the memories of their first and last night together have started flooding his mind—how he told Chanyeol his address for him to send his letters, how Chanyeol loves writing letters, how he promised him to buy him a house and a dog once they got married for real, which had Baekhyun laughing and his heart melting; how Chanyeol held onto him so tight, burrowing his face into Baekhyun’s shoulder, afraid of letting him go, how Baekhyun told him, voice so sweet, he wouldn't go anywhere.

Baekhyun's mouth runs dry and he turns livid as the memories hit him one by one. The soldier has needed to call him twice before he answers, "Huh?"

"Are you okay, Sir?" 

"Uh, yes." Baekhyun's grip on the door frame tightens, as he braces himself to ask a question he fears for the answer, "Park Chanyeol, where is he?"

An agonizing silence reigns for minutes before the soldier, who was busying himself with some papers, speaks up, "He died a month ago at the front line." 

Paralyzed, Baekhyun forgets how to breath. During all the remaining years of the war, all he wished for was to see Chanyeol again, to touch him again. Now his dreams have been shattered, falling on the floor along with his broken heart.

"Sir, one last thing," The soldier glances at him, and Baekhyun wants to slap away the pity visible in his eyes, "Can you tell me your name?"

Suppressing back a sob, Baekhyun softly whispers, "Baekhyun. Park Baekhyun."

 


A/N: wow, do I really at writing.